Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine426 View Post
I woud like to see this picture....

It's one of her avatars

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdfreakmc View Post
Susan, Cameron, Werin and I are headed off to Princess in NYC on Wednesday morning for a 9 day NE/Canada. Yeah! To those asking about Canada and what is needed, you need a health certificate, and Rabies Certificate. We have done this multiple times. Princess said we needed the USDA one (needing a trip to Harrisburg), but our vet called the access office to discuss and we are back to the regular cert's. Princess confirmed what we have will be fine. It's always been fine on HAL, so we should be good.

Peter, Have a great time!! We will all be thinking of you.

Cindy

Old June 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Mornin' all:
Peter: Have a fantastic time and be sure and report back!

Roz: I see where Princess has cancelled their port call in Puerta Vallarta for the Nov and 2 Dec cruises. They are being cautious about the violence. I think it said they would be stopping in Cabo and Ensenada only. I know you are like us and the ship can be the destination, but Puerta Vallarta is one of our favorite ports. Cabo is too commercialized for us. But a cruise is a cruise is a cruise!

Old June 21st, 2011, 03:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quampapetet View Post
Yikes! I hope your pooch is doing okay after the surgery ... and that your wallet is doing okay, too! Was it a sebaceous cyst? My dog has one of those on her flank, but it isn't something that needs to be removed. She's had it for years. There is another bump I need to have the vet check out soon, but of course he was on vacation this week and because of that next week is already all booked up. I need to call for the week after that!

These are Lipomo's[sp.] and are usually always benign. Brenda has a golf-ball one on her right flank, and a smaller one on her tummy. They show-up more on lighter colored dogs. She also has "skin-tags" on her elbows. Geeezzz, does she have to be so darn human!

She had her physical today [11 years] and passed with flying colors.
Her eyes/heart/teeth and ears are all good - Thank goodness. And, because she gets Salmon Oil everyday.......the Vet thinks her skin and fur are "gorgeous!" I think the color changes are funny, he says it's totally normal for an eleven year old Black Lab to change colors.

Her International Certificate is different. it comes in a 6 copy duplicate manner and is much formal looking.

She's now set to go cruising. The Vet also said that it is not necessary to request that this form be filled out less than 3 months in advance.

Old June 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdfreakmc View Post
Susan, Cameron, Werin and I are headed off to Princess in NYC on Wednesday morning for a 9 day NE/Canada. Yeah! To those asking about Canada and what is needed, you need a health certificate, and Rabies Certificate. We have done this multiple times. Princess said we needed the USDA one (needing a trip to Harrisburg), but our vet called the access office to discuss and we are back to the regular cert's. Princess confirmed what we have will be fine. It's always been fine on HAL, so we should be good.
Peter, et.al: Have a wonderful, fantastic voyage. Bon-Voyage! Please come back and tell us all about it.

Old June 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post
I got a cool fathers day present, well actually Blitz did. I have been saving to get a proper Backpack vest for Blitz since his was not up to any real standards being old and falling apart. Well my daughter got me a nice BBQ Grill and Blitz a really sweet Backpack vest. It has two very large pouches and more than enough room for Blitz to carry his own water, food, bowls and plastic bags. Its a darker tan in color and has web mesh and many places to put big ole patches, badges, and other fun things....

OK Im finished I guess no one is awake yet.......
Sounds wonderful for Blitz. And, it looks like your Father's Day was a good and that your children appreciate you.

We are very lucky in that our children are gracious and appreciative too!

Morey had a great day too!

Last edited by wizard-of-roz; June 21st, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Old June 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
It's one of her avatars
I'm working on posting more. Sorry it's so small. I'm not such a good "techy" like "guitarist is!"

Old June 21st, 2011, 03:52 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Cruisers View Post
Mornin' all:
Peter: Have a fantastic time and be sure and report back!

Roz: I see where Princess has cancelled their port call in Puerta Vallarta for the Nov and 2 Dec cruises. They are being cautious about the violence. I think it said they would be stopping in Cabo and Ensenada only. I know you are like us and the ship can be the destination, but Puerta Vallarta is one of our favorite ports. Cabo is too commercialized for us. But a cruise is a cruise is a cruise!
Nancy, other than cruising under the Golden Gate Bridge and than another time cruising past the Statue of Liberty. I really don't have too many "cruising Bucket List wishes."

As long as I'm on a cruise ship is all I really care about.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Roz, Just want to wish you the best of luck in your interview Friday. Although it's just a formality, I'm sure you will do great!!! I know you will let us know how it went when you get back.

Cindy

Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Mornin' all:
Roz: Safe travels and hugs, licks and huggles to you guys.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
Roz, Just want to wish you the best of luck in your interview Friday. Although it's just a formality, I'm sure you will do great!!! I know you will let us know how it went when you get back.

Cindy
I leave on Thursday for Oceanside and, the interview is on Friday. Thank you so much for your kind wishes.

Cindy, you know it's just a "formality" and I know it's just a "formality"......it's just so darn nerve wracking! Team Training and a new baby!!!!! Now, that's really something to look forward to.

Brenda saw the Vet yesterday....I was so curious about her eyes [a lot of people ask me if she has cataracts.] The Vet said her eyes are clear and he sees no problems. That's such a relief.

He gave me a new International Travel Cert. They're different from last year's. They come in copies of 6 [which is great for traveling.] They're more official looking. I don't have to make copies for everyone, they're already done.

My Vet stated that if any foreign port or cruiseline insists that this Certificate be given to them within a time frame of less than 3 months, to have them contact him directly.

Again, thank you, hold me in your thoughts on Friday...............

Love,
Roz

Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Cruisers View Post
Mornin' all:
Roz: Safe travels and hugs, licks and huggles to you guys.

Nancy, thank you! I'm so excited! Just visiting a CCI campus puts a huge smile on my face. And, getting to work and interview with a 1 year old will be so much fun.

Brenda will be staying at the hotel with Morey....she's going to be so curious when I get back to her and she smells another dog all over me!!!!!

Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
I leave on Thursday for Oceanside and, the interview is on Friday. Thank you so much for your kind wishes.

Cindy, you know it's just a "formality" and I know it's just a "formality"......it's just so darn nerve wracking! Team Training and a new baby!!!!! Now, that's really something to look forward to.

Brenda saw the Vet yesterday....I was so curious about her eyes [a lot of people ask me if she has cataracts.] The Vet said her eyes are clear and he sees no problems. That's such a relief.

He gave me a new International Travel Cert. They're different from last year's. They come in copies of 6 [which is great for traveling.] They're more official looking. I don't have to make copies for everyone, they're already done.

My Vet stated that if any foreign port or cruiseline insists that this Certificate be given to them within a time frame of less than 3 months, to have them contact him directly.

Again, thank you, hold me in your thoughts on Friday...............

Love,
Roz
It's gonna be a piece of cake Roz. And just remember, when it comes to Team Training...you CAN teach an old human new tricks!

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKidsDad View Post
It's gonna be a piece of cake Roz. And just remember, when it comes to Team Training...you CAN teach an old human new tricks!
Thank you.......I'm really looking forward to the interview.

That is very funny about the "old human", I sure hope this old human is up to the challenge!

Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
Thank you.......I'm really looking forward to the interview.

That is very funny about the "old human", I sure hope this old human is up to the challenge!
Well let's face it. The dogs already know what they're doing.

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKidsDad View Post
Well let's face it. The dogs already know what they're doing.
Yey! And, they're probably laughing their muzzle's off when they get back to the kennel's, after working with someone who's more used to walking with an 11 year old dog.

I have to remind Brenda to get up from her naps and I have to tug on her leash to get her to keep up with my walking pace........Boy, am I going to be suprised when a one year old is skipping right along beside me!!!!!

I'll tell you all about it when I return on Monday.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Roz,

Any foreign port can set their own regulations, and no, they won't contact your vet directly to see if he thinks they should. Remember that a health certificate says the dog is healthy and free of parasites on the date it was signed. Most countries want that documentation to be current within ten days to two weeks before you set sail. Many countries require a VS vet (someone employed by the USDA) to review the paperwork and stamp it. (Not see the dog, just the paperwork!)

Some cruiselines try to make sure your documentation is in order so that you won't be kept from going ashore with your service dog in the countries that you are visiting. Remember that many of the cruise port countries do not recognize service dogs in any different category than pets.

The USDA tries to make it simpler for folks travelling with their service dogs (remember, many countries make no distinction between service animals and pets in their entrance requirements) by placing many country's regulations on their website. The folks in my local office, which are a 7 hr round trip from me, were very helpful on the telephone, and in person when I hand delivered the paperwork to be stamped.

I took a relocating cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Seattle. We stopped in Colombia, Costa Rica, and Mexico. In order to go ashore in Colombia, my service dog had to have an immunization that is not required here... which was a two part dosage that had to be administered two weeks apart.

This is the APHIS website: put the web letters in front...

aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals

Hope you have safe travels, and a good interview Friday!

Linda

Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Explorer View Post

Roz,

Any foreign port can set their own regulations, and no, they won't contact your vet directly to see if he thinks they should. Remember that a health certificate says the dog is healthy and free of parasites on the date it was signed. Most countries want that documentation to be current within ten days to two weeks before you set sail. Many countries require a VS vet (someone employed by the USDA) to review the paperwork and stamp it. (Not see the dog, just the paperwork!)

Some cruiselines try to make sure your documentation is in order so that you won't be kept from going ashore with your service dog in the countries that you are visiting. Remember that many of the cruise port countries do not recognize service dogs in any different category than pets.

The USDA tries to make it simpler for folks travelling with their service dogs (remember, many countries make no distinction between service animals and pets in their entrance requirements) by placing many country's regulations on their website. The folks in my local office, which are a 7 hr round trip from me, were very helpful on the telephone, and in person when I hand delivered the paperwork to be stamped.

I took a relocating cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Seattle. We stopped in Colombia, Costa Rica, and Mexico. In order to go ashore in Colombia, my service dog had to have an immunization that is not required here... which was a two part dosage that had to be administered two weeks apart.

This is the APHIS website: put the web letters in front...

aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals

Hope you have safe travels, and a good interview Friday!

Linda
Linda, thank you for your most helpful information. I should have been more clear. If the cruiseline states that you can not board their ship with your Service/Working Dog because the Certificate is 3 months old, have them call his office. He was specifically talking about Princess Special Needs requesting that Brenda's Certification be within a few days.

And, I would NEVER allow Brenda to be re-vaccinated [at her age it could be lethal], as I was told by my Vet. If Colombia required this, she would not leave the ship.

You are correct about many countries not viewing our dogs as more than just "pets!" I ALWAYS try to initially board from an American Port [ADA applies.] When we went to Brazil we boarded from Florida.

Brenda has stayed on the ship and I take turns going onto the port that requires more immunizations than necessary; more paperwork than normal; more questions or money than is really needed.

The U.S.A. is full of wonderful sights to see and enjoy with my beloved dog before I would ever subject him/her to unecessary or added immunzations - no port or place of interest would ever be worth taking a risk with my dogs life. This may sound dramatic to some.......but, I've heard some truly horrific horror stories, just so someone could see a place of interest with their dog.

Thank you for your good wishes on my CCI testing......It's very exciting for me!

Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

What a month so far, the VA somehow made a administrative error and gave my claim a different date of my appeal. I have been trying since 01/2006 to have my disability upgraded to 100% from my current rating which is 90%. Some how they applied a date of June 2011 to my claim; thus really messing up everything for sure. Well after speaking with two congressional leaders and resubmitting my paperwork again the VA notified me through the Congressional chain of command they have reversed the mistake. Hopefully I will find out within a month if they have awarded me the 100% total disability. I never had issues with the hospital part of the VA; its the administrative side that many like myself have had issues with. Last year they retired my records because someone told them I died, that was fun to prove I was still around...

So I should be so much closer to taking my first Cruise. I originally thought it would be cool to have my kids go also; although now I really would love to go by myself or with my Grand Daughter.

On a happy note, this laptop I am using is one that I purchased for my daughter while she was in high school. Since she has been in college I purchased her a newer and better laptop and she gave me this one back. In her eyes it was a fair trade, lol. So I was going through the hard drive and found this video below of King. This was after Katrina and before my legs really started giving me issues.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EApYMW1zY

Last edited by guitarest; June 23rd, 2011 at 01:38 AM.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post
What a month so far, the VA somehow made a administrative error and gave my claim a different date of my appeal. I have been trying since 01/2006 to have my disability upgraded to 100% from my current rating which is 90%. Some how they applied a date of June 2011 to my claim; thus really messing up everything for sure. Well after speaking with two congressional leaders and resubmitting my paperwork again the VA notified me through the Congressional chain of command they have reversed the mistake. Hopefully I will find out within a month if they have awarded me the 100% total disability. I never had issues with the hospital part of the VA; its the administrative side that many like myself have had issues with. Last year they retired my records because someone told them I died, that was fun to prove I was still around...

So I should be so much closer to taking my first Cruise. I originally thought it would be cool to have my kids go also; although now I really would love to go by myself or with my Grand Daughter.

On a happy note, this laptop I am using is one that I purchased for my daughter while she was in high school. Since she has been in college I purchased her a newer and better laptop and she gave me this one back. In her eyes it was a fair trade, lol. So I was going through the hard drive and found this video below of King. This was after Katrina and before my legs really started giving me issues.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EApYMW1zY
Congratulations! I hope you get exactly what you're hoping for. Planning a cruise is one of the great joys of life.

Great video!

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-HAL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-HAL~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007~HAL-2007~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess~2013-Princess~2014-Princess