Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old July 6th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would love to go with you but I couldn't bring Orson, so it wouldn't be fun for Brenda. Oh well...maybe next time.

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old July 6th, 2011, 01:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Nancy & Disney: You both would be great "roomies" for a cruise. If one of you changes your mind let me know.

Well........I got it......the letter from CCI that states: After reviewing your application materials and information from your interview, we would like to extend to you an invitation to be placed on our waiting list to attend one of our future Team Training classes for a Hearing Dog - Congratulations!!!!!!

Wahooooo!!!! I'm in. You never know! They've added me to their waiting list based on my need from my initial app. on 10/27/10. I'm so excited and relieved. They state that; ideally I will receive notice of my selection for a training class six to eight weeks prior to the date of the class.

Now, the WAIT begins. We'll see if I'm asked for the September class [which falls right during my cruise] or the January class........or maybe they'll change the dates all together.

I'm just thrilled that there were no surprises and that everything is a GO!

Old July 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Ms. Brenny is gonna be a big sister!

Old July 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for your reply, Wizard-of-Roz, I appreciate your advice.

Carnival Imagination Feb. 5, 2014. Baja Mexico. 10th anniversary Cruise
Carnival Freedom Feb.5, 2012 Western Carribean. 8th Anniversary Cruise
Carnival Victory Feb.7, 2010 Southern Carribean 7th Anniversary Cruise
Carnival Pride July, 2007 Mexican Riviera Cruise
NCL Dawn Feb. 2006 Eastern Carribean Cruise with the kids
Carnival Valor Feb. 2005 Western Carribean Cruise with the kids
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2004 Southern Carribean Honeymoon Cruise

Old July 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Cruisers View Post
Ms. Brenny is gonna be a big sister!
This is exactly what I told her last night......"She's going to be the best big sister ever!"

Old July 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtrips View Post
Thank you for your reply, Wizard-of-Roz, I appreciate your advice.
You are so welcome. What's your rabbits name? One of my most favorite animals in the whole world, besides dogs and horses is rabbits! Such wonderful beings.

CCI has a rabbit that lives in a fabulous area on their grounds and is encouraged to run free in the training room as the pups are becoming desensitized to it. And stops looking at the rabbit as prey. It's such a joy to watch a young dog just walk right past the rabbit as if it were not even there.

They also have several cats who "own" the training room and "allow" the dogs to come in and be trained.

Old July 7th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Hyde

[quote=Rolls Royce Lover;29577203]I'm home.......The interview was so different than the interview 9 years ago.

I drove down to Carlsbad and stayed at the Carlsbad Inn & Resort. A really lovely hotel, located 1 block from the beach. So beautiful. The Inn is about 14 miles from CCI. I got in on Thursday night and settled in before my interview on Friday morning.

My interview was set for 9:45. I left at 9:00 and got to CCI at 9:30. Other families were arriving and we all started to line-up to get our nametags. There were about 20 families, all waiting for their personal interviews.

We sat around introducing ourselves and a young woman approached me asking me to follow her. We went into a private room, away from the others and she introduced herself as Becca Gordon, she said she would be interviewing me separately and I would be asked to work with a dog by myself. Not in a group. She said that a woman named Sarah would be joining us for the interview. She said because I was interviewing for a "Successor Dog" that the interview would be more abbreviated.

I was asked all sorts of questions such as; what was I going to do with Brenda; who would be caring for Brenda while I went off to work with "Successor"; where "Successor" would be exercized; where would he/she potty, sleep, eat, etc., etc. Since I knew about caring for a Working Dog she just re-iterated how important grooming, brushing teeth and cutting nails was.

Because I work, they wanted to know about "Successor's" place at work; since I've already had a "Working Dog", what were my expectations from a new dog? What tasks are most important to me? And, was there anything new or different that I was expecting out of "Successor?" So many good questions.

Becca and Sarah practiced commands with me [pretending they were a dog; and, I would correct them and tell them "yes, good job", or "no, don't" when they would not sit or not lay down.]

Sarah left the room and came back with one of the most beautiful Yellow Labs I have ever seen. He was one year old with a very course flat coat. He had the biggest paws and ears I have ever seen on a Lab. His name was "Hyde", what a beautiful pup.

I've already learned, 9 years ago, that the dog you practice with doesn't necessarily look anything like the dog you will finally wind-up with. But, I sure loved everything about Hyde.

I never realized how small Brenda's paws were until I saw "Hyde's!"

I practiced with glorious pup, giving commands and walking with him. I loved every minute of it. I had forgotten how it felt to walk with a one year old. They're so full of bounce and joy! And Hyde was so tall, it was easy to touch his head to give him praise! I'm tall and can really appreciate a tall dog.

The day ended way too soon. I could have spent all day with this dog. We all hugged each other and I was told to look for a letter within 2 weeks letting me know if I've made it to the "Waiting List!"

After this part of the process, while waiting for Brenda, I waited another 14 months before I was invited to "Team Training" and I received her. God, I hope it's not that long this time!!!!!

When I got home, of course, I had "Hyde's" odor all over me.......Brenda went nuts.

And, now, it's the "waiting game"......Thanks everyone for your support, I'll keep you up-to-date on how it goes!!!!![/I know Hyde's puppy raiser and she will be thrilled with your kind comments. He's a wonderful dog! I hope your wait for your successor dog is short and that you get the call to Team Training soon! ]

Old July 7th, 2011, 05:33 PM
5,000+ Club

[quote=Rocket Dog;29705556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Royce Lover View Post
Sarah left the room and came back with one of the most beautiful Yellow Labs I have ever seen. He was one year old with a very course flat coat. He had the biggest paws and ears I have ever seen on a Lab. His name was "Hyde", what a beautiful pup.

I've already learned, 9 years ago, that the dog you practice with doesn't necessarily look anything like the dog you will finally wind-up with. But, I sure loved everything about Hyde.

I never realized how small Brenda's paws were until I saw "Hyde's!"

I practiced with glorious pup, giving commands and walking with him. I loved every minute of it. I had forgotten how it felt to walk with a one year old. They're so full of bounce and joy! And Hyde was so tall, it was easy to touch his head to give him praise! I'm tall and can really appreciate a tall dog.

The day ended way too soon. I could have spent all day with this dog. We all hugged each other and I was told to look for a letter within 2 weeks letting me know if I've made it to the "Waiting List!"

After this part of the process, while waiting for Brenda, I waited another 14 months before I was invited to "Team Training" and I received her. God, I hope it's not that long this time!!!!!

When I got home, of course, I had "Hyde's" odor all over me.......Brenda went nuts.

And, now, it's the "waiting game"......Thanks everyone for your support, I'll keep you up-to-date on how it goes!!!!![/I know Hyde's puppy raiser and she will be thrilled with your kind comments. He's a wonderful dog! I hope your wait for your successor dog is short and that you get the call to Team Training soon! ]
"Rocket", you've definitely made my day. I was not exaggerating about "Hyde" he's a beautiful boy and if I get so lucky to have him [as Brenda's little brother] or a dog like him, in my life......I'll be thrilled!!!!

Please tell his Puppyraiser's THANK YOU for doing such an amazingly wonderful job, folks like me; who walk with these "hero's" in their lives truly appreciate everything the Puppyraiser's do for us!

The joy and "completeness" that these dogs bring to folks like me is nothing short of a miracle. I am forever grateful to the Puppyraiser!!!! [Sunshine!]

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just an update, Johns surgery went well, he is still in recovery as of 8:30pm because of blood pressure problems during the operation. Wex and I have been hanging around at the hospital since 8:30am, so we are pooped!!! When John had his original surgery 30 something years ago, they fused his spine together, and I guess once the bone grows it doesn't stop, so he had a huge hunk of bone in his throat(never bothered him) so the cut it off. Then they replaced a bulging disc. Instead of fusing the bone like before, they put in a fake disc!! This doctor is the only one in this area that does it, and this will let John have movement in his neck, instead of fusing which would give no movement. I'll update tomorrow.

Cindy

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

That's great news, Cindy. Bone in his neck! That sounds painful to me! Hope he gets on the mend and back to "better" than before! I am sure you and Wex are pooped. You both should sleep good.

Old July 8th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cindy, thank you so much for letting us know how John's surgery went. I hope that everyday he gets stronger and stronger. What a horribly long day this has been for all of you. And, talk about involved surgeries.

You must be exhausted, thank goodness Wex knows he can count on you to be there for him.

Please give John a HUGE kiss from me and Brenny and tell him we're wishing him a very speedy recovery.

Get some rest and please keep us informed as to how he's doing!

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-HAL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-HAL~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007~HAL-2007~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess~2013-Princess~2014-Princess

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cindy,

Thanks for the update on John. Wish him well from us and you & Wex get some rest.

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old July 8th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cindy, thanks for taking the time to update all of us regarding John. My prayers are with you both. Give Wex a kiss from his "aunt sunshine". Cooler and Mackey would give Wexie some love if we were closer.

Old July 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM
5,000+ Club

I hope today finds Cindy a bit more rested; Wexy calm and missing his man; and, most importantly, John getting stronger and better every day!

I'm sending my most positive and loving best wishes to all of you!

Have a good weekend!

Old July 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Going to try it!

Wow, been a long time since I have visited these boards. I just booked 15 day Panama Cruise Sept 26 leaving San Francisco. This will be the first cruise since my brain injury that we will be leaving Bailey home. I have continued to recover and think we are ready to try it. For the last six months , Bailey and I have been trying to do more without each other. An adjustment for both of us!
Just thought I would pop in, fun to see many of the same people.

Coral Princess 9/26/10; Sea Princess 9/1/09;
Star Princess 11/08; Golden Princess 11/07;
Dawn Princess 9/07; Dawn Princess 2/07
Carnival Pride 11/06; Holland Westerdam 5/06
Dawn Princess 9/05; Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas; 1/05

Old July 9th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andar View Post
Wow, been a long time since I have visited these boards. I just booked 15 day Panama Cruise Sept 26 leaving San Francisco. This will be the first cruise since my brain injury that we will be leaving Bailey home. I have continued to recover and think we are ready to try it. For the last six months , Bailey and I have been trying to do more without each other. An adjustment for both of us!
Just thought I would pop in, fun to see many of the same people.
Darcie it's great to hear from you again. Lucky you to be planning a 15 day Panama Cruise. I don't have my calendar in front of me but I wonder if we'll be in San Francisco at the same time you'll be disembarking on yours just as we'll be pulling in [I think.] If so, look for Brenda and me.

Darcie, I don't remember, is Bailey your Service Dog? And, if so, why are you trying to do more without her? Please refresh my memory.

Roz

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-HAL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-HAL~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007~HAL-2007~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess~2013-Princess~2014-Princess

Old July 9th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

I just want to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. Today they are trying to kick John out. He cannot eat anything because of problems with the tube they put down his throat during surgery. Needless to say, he isn't happy they are trying to make him leave. He feels he should not go anywhere til he can atleast eat something. When he does leave, he is going to to a rehab hospital cuz he doesn't think I can handle taking care of him yet. Otherwise he is doing great, he can move his neck and doesn't have as much pain. I'll keep you updated.

Cindy

Old July 9th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Mornin' all:
Cindy: What next? Yeah, just kick him out, eventually he will be able to eat. I have heard about the throat being literally torn up when they "force" that tube down it. I guess some people are insensitive to others. Since he was out and couldn't complain, just keep pushing. Anyway, I am glad his neck is better. I would think it would have to be not having an extra bone in it. I bet Wexy was glad to see his daddy. I can see the whole back in wagging, along with the tail action. Take care of yourself, Cindy. It sounds like it is starting to get better.

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
I just want to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. Today they are trying to kick John out. He cannot eat anything because of problems with the tube they put down his throat during surgery. Needless to say, he isn't happy they are trying to make him leave. He feels he should not go anywhere til he can atleast eat something. When he does leave, he is going to to a rehab hospital cuz he doesn't think I can handle taking care of him yet. Otherwise he is doing great, he can move his neck and doesn't have as much pain. I'll keep you updated.

Cindy
Great news, Cindy.......He's very stubborn, it's probably exactly what has gotten him through all of this from the beginning. There's not much Wex can do for him, yet. Thank goodness they both have you to turn to.

Remember to take care of YOU just as you take care of John and Wexy.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Old July 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well John is in rehab now. It's right down the street so it's perfect for me. Wex and I just got home (7:00) and he's already pooped out. No one can sleep there cuz someone comes into the room every 5 minutes!! Finally about 2:00 I went to the nurse and told her I'm closing the door and to leave John alone for an hour. He is really having trouble with his throat and has barely eaten anything. They might do some kind of throat xray tomorrow where they put barium in food, have him eat and then take an xray to watch the food go down. Sounds gross to me!! With all the bad news, there is some good news...he's starting to get back the feeling in his hands that he lost!!!! WooooooHooooooo!!!!!!!! It's been another long day so I'm going to get some supper and just veg out.

Cindy

Oh and John had Wex jump on the bed and Wex just loved it. He actually layed on Johns stomach and was so content. It was so sweet.