Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:34 AM.
Southern California
11,097 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Latitude 20
Bon Voyage Roz! I can't remember if you're going to Mexico or CA coastal but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time either way! Hoping that Horton will be a champion and Ms. Brenny won't miss you too much.
Kathi, thank you so much. We're going to Santa Barbara/San Francisco/San Diego & Ensenada. My two sisters in law will be joining me and that should be a lot of fun.

I'll miss Brenda so much......that will be the toughest thing of all - To take pictures with Horton and not Brenny will feel so strange. I'm bonding with Horton but will NEVER forget to kiss Brenda when we leave the house each day.

I'm teaching Horton to show respect to Brenny!!!! He tends to push in front of her and grab things from her and although I think it's best to let them work-out their "stuff" [she'll give him a swift nudge or quick bark when she's had enough of his antic's!] I know when to step in and let him know he's "pushing" the envelope a little too far, this time!!!!! He can be a bit of a "bully" and he pushes his weight around.....I lay him down, giving him a belly rub and let her be the "top dog" and do all the sniffing and standing over him. I think he gets the point.

It's so obvious who Brenda is in our home. And, she knows I love Horton too! They're both treated with great respect and I expect the same in return.

I love them both so much!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess
Southern California
11,097 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by rangeley
Nancy, I totally understand about hubby and the flying thing, since I am the same way. John is always bugging me to go west so we could cruise with Roz, but the thought of that long flight gives me the creeps. Maybe someday.
Maybe, she said maybe!!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess
Hagerstown, MD
1,030 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Whenever I have a day like this where work is stressful and my kids are stressing me out, I like to look on this thread about service dogs. I do this because sometimes I enjoy my dogs more than I enjoy my kids and it is nice to look @ your doggie pictures and hear all of your wonderful stories. Cruises and dogs, what could be better? and please dont think I am downplaying anyones need for a SD, My DD is a paraplegic and is working on getting one.

I just REALLY enjoy this thread. Thanks for all the smiles guys!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bully Lover!
Grandurer of The Seas 2015
Granduer of The Seas 2013
Enchantment of The Seas 2012
Enchantment of The Seas 2011
Carnival Pride 2010
Explorer of The Seas 2009
Majesty of the Seas 2006
Majesty of the Seas 2005

Southern California
11,097 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Cru1s1ng2009
Whenever I have a day like this where work is stressful and my kids are stressing me out, I like to look on this thread about service dogs. I do this because sometimes I enjoy my dogs more than I enjoy my kids and it is nice to look @ your doggie pictures and hear all of your wonderful stories. Cruises and dogs, what could be better? and please dont think I am downplaying anyones need for a SD, My DD is a paraplegic and is working on getting one.

I just REALLY enjoy this thread. Thanks for all the smiles guys!
I'm so glad you took the time to write to us. I know there are lots and lots of folks who "lurk" and "look" at our lives and have so many questions about our dogs. I'm thrilled that you took the time to actually write-in and talk about yourself. Nancy did the very same thing and we adopted her!!!!

I wish I had had the need for "Brenda" in my life when my children were growing-up. Although, it would have been 3 more things on top of whatever else I had to do, I think the dog would have been a wonderful teacher to the children.

I hope your DD gets an amazing partner very soon. She'll get the assistance but you'll get all the "benefits" that the dog will bring to all of you.

Thank you for sharing with us and please come back and tell us how your daughter's journey is going.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess
Hagerstown, MD
1,030 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by wizard-of-roz
I'm so glad you took the time to write to us. I know there are lots and lots of folks who "lurk" and "look" at our lives and have so many questions about our dogs. I'm thrilled that you took the time to actually write-in and talk about yourself. Nancy did the very same thing and we adopted her!!!!

I wish I had had the need for "Brenda" in my life when my children were growing-up. Although, it would have been 3 more things on top of whatever else I had to do, I think the dog would have been a wonderful teacher to the children.

I hope your DD gets an amazing partner very soon. She'll get the assistance but you'll get all the "benefits" that the dog will bring to all of you.

Thank you for sharing with us and please come back and tell us how your daughter's journey is going.
i sure will guys. Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bully Lover!
Grandurer of The Seas 2015
Granduer of The Seas 2013
Enchantment of The Seas 2012
Enchantment of The Seas 2011
Carnival Pride 2010
Explorer of The Seas 2009
Majesty of the Seas 2006
Majesty of the Seas 2005

472 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Speaking of, haven't set date yet but coming to LA; Roz. Blitz and I should be there within the month. Hopefully since I am still waiting on a check from the VA; once it shows up a day later I am heading west.........
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southern California
11,097 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by guitarest
Speaking of, haven't set date yet but coming to LA; Roz. Blitz and I should be there within the month. Hopefully since I am still waiting on a check from the VA; once it shows up a day later I am heading west.........
I'm cruising the week of March 26th. Write when you've picked a date.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess
Boston
2,433 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by wizard-of-roz
Maybe, she said maybe!!!!!
Hahahaha don't get to excited.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
<img border="0" src="http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;483/st/20170114/e/Cruise/k/0557/event.png"></a>


HAL Zuiderdam 2005
HAL Westerdam 2006
Crown Princess 2007
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014
HAL Eurodam 2015
NCL Escape 2016
NCL Escape 2017
Southern California
11,097 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by rangeley
Hahahaha don't get to excited.
I won't, but I can hope can't I?

Wexie looks so much like Horton. They'd really have fun together.

I love coming home from work and watching Brenny get all excited to see Mr. "H". She'll bring him a toy and he'll throw it in the air and catch it [all in the hopes of entertaining Miss. "B"], if she could she'd giggle with joy. She bounces around and jumps back & forth in delight, it's the cutest thing in the world to watch. He definitely put a new "spring" in her step and I pray, given her more happy years with us!!!!!!

Who'd of thought what pleasure and pure happiness a goofy, long legged, black dog could bring to two aging old dogs. I mean Morey & Brenda, of course!!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess
472 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by wizard-of-roz
I'm cruising the week of March 26th. Write when you've picked a date.
I could only wish it was that soon, I finally lost it today with HUD. They have been investigating the case which involves me and my former landlord which is a huge corp who wrongfully evicted me because Blitz is a German Shepherd. HUD has been saying for a year now all they need to do is have the case reviewed; today I got the same answer. I mean really what do they need? I fulfill the requirements of HUD and the ADA. I am disabled (100% Service connected), I have the paperwork for Blitz from the VA, and finally he does more than 3 tasks for me so I just dont understand what the problem is. The Corp offered 7,500 a few months ago to make me go away and I said no; then they offered 15k and I said yes since it had already been over a year and a half and I just want this to go away. After I signed the paperwork they no longer spoke with HUD or even cut a check; nothing. HUD even asked them to allow me to stay there during the investigation and they replied by evicting me. That caused the vascular sores and a knee injury; which is also highly documented.

Today I called a Mississippi Senator to get something happening or at the very least a status other than and I quote; "Your case is being reviewed. I cannot give you any more deals than this." The company they are investigating has around 25 different sites all very close to Military Bases and if they dont care about a DAV you know they could care less about anything else. When I asked about what happened to the settlement this was HUDS reply to me; it was the property management company through their attorneys who offered the settlement. The management company lawyers never sent me the signed agreement or followed up with an answer about the status of the conciliation after my repeated requests. So in two months it will be two years, and I am still waiting to be made whole again. From the injuries (which I still have a few vascular sores, to the financial drain of having to come up with new deposits and pay for people to help me move. Those expenses where not planned and I am still hurting from this since I make only so much each month from my disability. Yet that company is still doing business and making money every month while I came real close to being a homeless vet.

Sorry Venting again..........
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston
2,433 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by guitarest
I could only wish it was that soon, I finally lost it today with HUD. They have been investigating the case which involves me and my former landlord which is a huge corp who wrongfully evicted me because Blitz is a German Shepherd. HUD has been saying for a year now all they need to do is have the case reviewed; today I got the same answer. I mean really what do they need? I fulfill the requirements of HUD and the ADA. I am disabled (100% Service connected), I have the paperwork for Blitz from the VA, and finally he does more than 3 tasks for me so I just dont understand what the problem is. The Corp offered 7,500 a few months ago to make me go away and I said no; then they offered 15k and I said yes since it had already been over a year and a half and I just want this to go away. After I signed the paperwork they no longer spoke with HUD or even cut a check; nothing. HUD even asked them to allow me to stay there during the investigation and they replied by evicting me. That caused the vascular sores and a knee injury; which is also highly documented.

Today I called a Mississippi Senator to get something happening or at the very least a status other than and I quote; "Your case is being reviewed. I cannot give you any more deals than this." The company they are investigating has around 25 different sites all very close to Military Bases and if they dont care about a DAV you know they could care less about anything else. When I asked about what happened to the settlement this was HUDS reply to me; it was the property management company through their attorneys who offered the settlement. The management company lawyers never sent me the signed agreement or followed up with an answer about the status of the conciliation after my repeated requests. So in two months it will be two years, and I am still waiting to be made whole again. From the injuries (which I still have a few vascular sores, to the financial drain of having to come up with new deposits and pay for people to help me move. Those expenses where not planned and I am still hurting from this since I make only so much each month from my disability. Yet that company is still doing business and making money every month while I came real close to being a homeless vet.

Sorry Venting again..........

Jacko, So sorry to hear about all your problems. Hopefully they will all work out. Please don't ever be sorry for venting, we all vent here. I have vented many times and everyone here has too. Thats why we are all friends here. I would be lost with all of you!

Cindy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
<img border="0" src="http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;483/st/20170114/e/Cruise/k/0557/event.png"></a>


HAL Zuiderdam 2005
HAL Westerdam 2006
Crown Princess 2007
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014
HAL Eurodam 2015
NCL Escape 2016
NCL Escape 2017
Boston
2,433 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by wizard-of-roz
I won't, but I can hope can't I?

Wexie looks so much like Horton. They'd really have fun together.

I love coming home from work and watching Brenny get all excited to see Mr. "H". She'll bring him a toy and he'll throw it in the air and catch it [all in the hopes of entertaining Miss. "B"], if she could she'd giggle with joy. She bounces around and jumps back & forth in delight, it's the cutest thing in the world to watch. He definitely put a new "spring" in her step and I pray, given her more happy years with us!!!!!!

Who'd of thought what pleasure and pure happiness a goofy, long legged, black dog could bring to two aging old dogs. I mean Morey & Brenda, of course!!!!!

Roz, I love hearing about the dogs, they sound so much like Bailee and Wex were. The picture with the crossed paws is what we call Wexlers "signature position" thats how he likes to lay, paws crossed and his head on his bum. Wierdo!!

I think for this cruise we are going to have to go through alot of crap to get Wex on Grand Turk. They seem to have made their requirements ridiculous. I have written to them to find out what we really have to do. It seems they want a micro chip, titer, rabies within 30 days and the form signed by USDA which we have never done. Last time we went there we did not have to do any of that. We picked this trip cuz it was all Johns favorite places and was going to be easy. Guess not! I don't understand why they cannot let the vets put the USDA stamp on. We would have to drive like 2 hours away to get it, at an extra cost I'm sure.

Well today is going to be in the 80"s!!!!! This is the screwiest ( A word?) weather. By Saturday it's going to be back to 40's. Wex doesn't know to shed or not to shed. I mean he sheds all the time, but his winter coat, if he even got that. We had no snow or cold weather so that must screw the dogs up. I see Cali has had some wierd weather too. And all the tornados in the midwest is just downright scary.

Cindy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
<img border="0" src="http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;483/st/20170114/e/Cruise/k/0557/event.png"></a>


HAL Zuiderdam 2005
HAL Westerdam 2006
Crown Princess 2007
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014
HAL Eurodam 2015
NCL Escape 2016
NCL Escape 2017
472 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by rangeley
Jacko, So sorry to hear about all your problems. Hopefully they will all work out. Please don't ever be sorry for venting, we all vent here. I have vented many times and everyone here has too. Thats why we are all friends here. I would be lost with all of you!

Cindy
Thanks Cindy: I have gone through so much in 20 years. From not being able to walk, to wheel chair's, crutches and finally using a cane on bad days. And while I know its in my best interest that I keep my mouth shut and let HUD do their thing I just cant understand why its taking so long.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
472 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by wizard-of-roz

I love coming home from work and watching Brenny get all excited to see Mr. "H". She'll bring him a toy and he'll throw it in the air and catch it [all in the hopes of entertaining Miss. "B"], if she could she'd giggle with joy.
Roz when Blitz and I leave the other pups just look all destroyed since Blitz gets to leave with daddy. Now it does not matter how long I am gone; a quick ride to a fastfood place or for a few hours the reunion between the three dogs is as you describe it. Loads of fun and being excited.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southern California
11,097 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by guitarest
I could only wish it was that soon, I finally lost it today with HUD. They have been investigating the case which involves me and my former landlord which is a huge corp who wrongfully evicted me because Blitz is a German Shepherd. HUD has been saying for a year now all they need to do is have the case reviewed; today I got the same answer. I mean really what do they need? I fulfill the requirements of HUD and the ADA. I am disabled (100% Service connected), I have the paperwork for Blitz from the VA, and finally he does more than 3 tasks for me so I just dont understand what the problem is. The Corp offered 7,500 a few months ago to make me go away and I said no; then they offered 15k and I said yes since it had already been over a year and a half and I just want this to go away. After I signed the paperwork they no longer spoke with HUD or even cut a check; nothing. HUD even asked them to allow me to stay there during the investigation and they replied by evicting me. That caused the vascular sores and a knee injury; which is also highly documented.

Today I called a Mississippi Senator to get something happening or at the very least a status other than and I quote; "Your case is being reviewed. I cannot give you any more deals than this." The company they are investigating has around 25 different sites all very close to Military Bases and if they dont care about a DAV you know they could care less about anything else. When I asked about what happened to the settlement this was HUDS reply to me; it was the property management company through their attorneys who offered the settlement. The management company lawyers never sent me the signed agreement or followed up with an answer about the status of the conciliation after my repeated requests. So in two months it will be two years, and I am still waiting to be made whole again. From the injuries (which I still have a few vascular sores, to the financial drain of having to come up with new deposits and pay for people to help me move. Those expenses where not planned and I am still hurting from this since I make only so much each month from my disability. Yet that company is still doing business and making money every month while I came real close to being a homeless vet.

Sorry Venting again..........
I know it seems it will NEVER end........just remember it always rains before that beautiful rainbow comes out. You'll have your turn for the rainbow.

Take care.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess
Southern California
11,097 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by rangeley
Roz, I love hearing about the dogs, they sound so much like Bailee and Wex were. The picture with the crossed paws is what we call Wexlers "signature position" thats how he likes to lay, paws crossed and his head on his bum. Wierdo!!

I think for this cruise we are going to have to go through alot of crap to get Wex on Grand Turk. They seem to have made their requirements ridiculous. I have written to them to find out what we really have to do. It seems they want a micro chip, titer, rabies within 30 days and the form signed by USDA which we have never done. Last time we went there we did not have to do any of that. We picked this trip cuz it was all Johns favorite places and was going to be easy. Guess not! I don't understand why they cannot let the vets put the USDA stamp on. We would have to drive like 2 hours away to get it, at an extra cost I'm sure.

Well today is going to be in the 80"s!!!!! This is the screwiest ( A word?) weather. By Saturday it's going to be back to 40's. Wex doesn't know to shed or not to shed. I mean he sheds all the time, but his winter coat, if he even got that. We had no snow or cold weather so that must screw the dogs up. I see Cali has had some wierd weather too. And all the tornados in the midwest is just downright scary.

Cindy
Those crossed legs drive me nuts and brings the biggest smile to my face. I love it!!!

We got Horton Micro chipped. With his personality, I wouldn't be surprised if one day he throws a bag over his shoulder and tries to run away.

If your Vet is a USDA approved Vet isn't his signature & paperwork enough? It's crazy making!!!!!

I swear the weather gods have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Everyone in my office is sick.......if they make me sick for this cruise I'm going to kill someone. First it's colder than the arctic, than it's so hot we have to turn the air on......and the flowers & trees; they don't know if they should remain dormant or start flowering!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess
472 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Crazy weather is here, not even a sweater this past winter. It was so warm that even the gnats and other bugs are out in full force already. Had to turn on the AC two days ago since it was 92 in the house. Today we have loads of wind and squalls coming off the beach and its supposed to be here for a few days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
260 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Question for you veteran cruisers - which cruise line would you recommend? We have twice done the Disney cruise. My husband spoke with his parents and they are considering another cruise next summer but are not really interested in doing Disney again. By next year, it will be 11 of us traveling. 6 adults and 5 kids ranging from 12 to a one year old (he is not even with us yet - my nephew will arrive in May.)

Because of the foreign paperwork for the dog, I suggested maybe a cruise from NYC that goes north into Canada. (Well, really what I said first was go back to Alaska).

Before we research destinations, I wanted to find out your recommendations of cruise line.
Southern California
11,097 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by cjborne2
Question for you veteran cruisers - which cruise line would you recommend? We have twice done the Disney cruise. My husband spoke with his parents and they are considering another cruise next summer but are not really interested in doing Disney again. By next year, it will be 11 of us traveling. 6 adults and 5 kids ranging from 12 to a one year old (he is not even with us yet - my nephew will arrive in May.)

Because of the foreign paperwork for the dog, I suggested maybe a cruise from NYC that goes north into Canada. (Well, really what I said first was go back to Alaska).

Before we research destinations, I wanted to find out your recommendations of cruise line.
I HIGHLY recommend Princess - They're very accommodating - Allison Muff - Special Needs Dept. - 661-284-4521.

My second favorite Holland America - Special Needs - 800-426-0327

Happy planning.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess