Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Barbara: Roz is right. Don't beat yourself up. You did what you had to do. I have been in the same situation and it will always hurt, but think of that cute little face running free and having fun with all the other furbabies across the Rainbow Bridge. I am truly sorry you have to go thru this.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Old August 10th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you SS and Roz for your wonderful words. I still cry for her but I know that with enough time I will heal. Your words hep a lot.

Barbara
Voyager of the Seas 2001
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Victory 2002
SS Norway 2003
Explorer of the Seas 10/4/2003
Explorer of the Seas 10/10/2004
Mariner of the Seas 10/30/2005
Carnival Elation 01/05/2007
Carnival Freedom 10/28/2007
Carnival Freedom 11/06/2008
Carnival Pride 05/18/2009
Carnival Dream 10/15/2009
Carnival Dream 10/27/2009
Crown Princess 11/27/2010
Carnival Magic 10/28/2011

Old August 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudle View Post
Where are you Cindy---hope that you are ok
I'm back Feeling much better but will still have this cough for another week or two. We are now dogless except for Wex of course. It's nice and peaceful. Summer is almost over (Yipee!!) and John will be going back to school soon. Our trip is coming up faster than I thought so pretty soon I will have to start the dog paperwork for some of these islands. I can't wait!!

Old August 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Barb, We think of you often and are glad you have come back. We have had 3 friends who have lost dogs this summer, Valentine being one of them. It's been a rough time for all. I don't have to tell you it gets better, but it takes time. Our thoughts are with you.

Cindy

Old August 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine's Mom View Post
Thank you SS and Roz for your wonderful words. I still cry for her but I know that with enough time I will heal. Your words hep a lot.

Barbara
She's ALWAYS inside of you, ALWAYS. And, I bet you're as bad as me with all the pictures. My kids always complain that I have more pictures of Brenny & Horton than I have of them.

Take your time grieving your little girl. She was the world to you.

Old August 10th, 2012, 11:34 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
I'm back Feeling much better but will still have this cough for another week or two. We are now dogless except for Wex of course. It's nice and peaceful. Summer is almost over (Yipee!!) and John will be going back to school soon. Our trip is coming up faster than I thought so pretty soon I will have to start the dog paperwork for some of these islands. I can't wait!!
"Cindy's back and we're gonna get in trouble......sha, na, nee, na...Cindy's back!"

Old August 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

So glad that you are back Cindy----and I know that horrible caugh.

Hi to everyone else and have a great weekend.
Carnival -Miracle 2004
Carnival -Liberty 11/12/2005
Carnival -Fantasy 4/29/2006
Carnival -Sensation 11/26/2006
Carnival -Freedom Thanksgiving 2008
Carnival -Dream 12/03/09 first time out of
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Freedon 2/25/2012
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12
Carnival Freedon 10/05/2013
Oceanic ( Big Red Boat )

Canaveral 1995

RCL Sovereign of the Seas
RCL Mariner of the Seas 11/11/07
RCL Monarch of the Seas 9/07/09
RCL Jewel of the Seas 5/11/13
RCL Enchantment of the Sea 4/28/2914

NCL Pride of Aloha 4/08/07

Celebrity Equinox 4/22/11

Holland American Westerdam 12/2-16/2012

Old August 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudle View Post
So glad that you are back Cindy----and I know that horrible caugh.

Hi to everyone else and have a great weekend.
You too, Miss Trudle!

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine's Mom View Post

Barbara
Hi Barbara,

Yes, you will cry for Valentine (and so you should) and you will always miss her, but gradually the pain will become less severe. You'll remember all the good times and all the wonderful things she did for you.

It's 10 years now since we lost our Jess, my companion and my guardian. I still tear up now and then when I think of her, but mostly I remember how much she contributed to our lives. She was the best!

Thinking of you now. Take care! Best wishes,
Celle
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by celle View Post
Hi Barbara,

Yes, you will cry for Valentine (and so you should) and you will always miss her, but gradually the pain will become less severe. You'll remember all the good times and all the wonderful things she did for you.

It's 10 years now since we lost our Jess, my companion and my guardian. I still tear up now and then when I think of her, but mostly I remember how much she contributed to our lives. She was the best!

Thinking of you now. Take care! Best wishes,
Celle
OMG! I have no idea who Jess was but I have tears as you write about her.

I'm so glad that we all have each other to share our stories and love for our dogs.

Old August 10th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
OMG! I have no idea who Jess was but I have tears as you write about her.

I'm so glad that we all have each other to share our stories and love for our dogs.
Jess was a golden retriever. She wasn't a service dog - she thought she was another of our teenagers - but she appointed herself as my protector.

Whenever I walked her, she would always place herself between me and anyone else. When my DH was away on business, she would always sleep right beside my side of the bed - anyone wanting to get to me would have had to get past her first. She never did that when DH was at home.

Jess always answered the door with me. She would sit down beside me and inspect the visitor. She was the gentlest of dogs, but she was big and she had a loud bark. I always felt safe with her around.

God bless our dogs!
Celebrity - 56 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")

Old August 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by celle View Post
Jess was a golden retriever. She wasn't a service dog - she thought she was another of our teenagers - but she appointed herself as my protector.

Whenever I walked her, she would always place herself between me and anyone else. When my DH was away on business, she would always sleep right beside my side of the bed - anyone wanting to get to me would have had to get past her first. She never did that when DH was at home.

Jess always answered the door with me. She would sit down beside me and inspect the visitor. She was the gentlest of dogs, but she was big and she had a loud bark. I always felt safe with her around.

God bless our dogs!

Thanks for sharing Jess.

Old August 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
please do not insult or demean those of us who walk or wheel with a ligitmate Service Dog and have been through the rigors of the "process" to get there!!!!!
Roz you should know me better; it was not my intention to upset or be disrespectful towards you or any one here. If I did upset any one I am so very sorry its not my intention.

Old August 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post
Roz you should know me better; it was not my intention to upset or be disrespectful towards you or any one here. If I did upset any one I am so very sorry its not my intention.
All I wanted to know is the doctor side of the process, reason being is there are loads of people (civilians) and while I do not believe them they say its their right. If disabled to bypass a prescription or doctors note and get or train a SD. I know on the VA side of the house that is untrue, just asking on your side.

As far as my process I could have waited also to get a professionally trained dog also; although I opted to go with Blitz and there are not many who do GSD's. In regards to what the VA did; with my paperwork the breeder felt bad for me and reduced his price; but I still paid money out of my pocket for Blitz, training, and supplies. So while it was a VA method it was expensive and something I will never see in return except in what Blitz does for me.

As for his training the VA wishes to use Blitz and I as a peer team to those younger guys returning to show what a specially trained dog can do for you. He went for his Therapy Dog Certification 30 minutes later I thought we had it up to the point where Blitz licked the examiner in the face; instant fail. He retests this week and I hope to get this certification it will add to his ability to help others and again its part of my recovery.

Again it was not my intention to upset anyone here.

Old August 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
All I wanted to know is the doctor side of the process, reason being is there are loads of people (civilians) and while I do not believe them they say its their right. If disabled to bypass a prescription or doctors note and get or train a SD. I know on the VA side of the house that is untrue, just asking on your side.

As far as my process I could have waited also to get a professionally trained dog also; although I opted to go with Blitz and there are not many who do GSD's. In regards to what the VA did; with my paperwork the breeder felt bad for me and reduced his price; but I still paid money out of my pocket for Blitz, training, and supplies. So while it was a VA method it was expensive and something I will never see in return except in what Blitz does for me.

As for his training the VA wishes to use Blitz and I as a peer team to those younger guys returning to show what a specially trained dog can do for you. He went for his Therapy Dog Certification 30 minutes later I thought we had it up to the point where Blitz licked the examiner in the face; instant fail. He retests this week and I hope to get this certification it will add to his ability to help others and again its part of my recovery.

Again it was not my intention to upset anyone here.
Misunderstanding, understood.

With all the work and intense training that it takes to bring a highly skilled dog into the public venue, those folks out there who want to try and bring in a "pet" need to know that "we're watching you!" And, I won't hesitate to call you "out!"

When Horton put the animal cracker in his mouth [during testing in the mall] and, I was instructed to stick my hand down his throat and retrieve it.......I knew how serious CCI was in their dogs behavior's and their testing.

Face licking, eating off the ground, barking, growling, scratching are all NO, NO'S in the Service/Working Dog world.

Our dogs are held to a higher standard and I'm proud of it.

Last edited by wizard-of-roz; August 13th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Old August 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

With all the work and intense training that it takes to bring a highly skilled dog into the public venue, those folks out there who want to try and bring in a "pet" need to know that "we're watching you!" And, I won't hesitate to call you "out!"

When Horton put the animal cracker in his mouth [during testing in the mall] and, I was instructed to stick my hand down his throat and retrieve it.......I knew how serious CCI was in their dogs behavior's and their testing.

Face licking, eating off the ground, barking, growling, scratching are all NO, NO'S in the Service/Working Dog world.

Okay, okay, he didn't "put it in his mouth".......he picked it up off the mall floor, after a trainer threw it at him.

I think of my babies as real people!!!!

Last edited by wizard-of-roz; August 13th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Old August 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Roz: TeeHee, he could have. Leann Emily picks her dry crunchies up in her paw and eats them. I know, I know, she is a cat, but I bet if dog could do it, it would be a Lab!

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

So even by your own account your dog violated several "Don't Do's" at least Blitz will not eat food unless offered to him and he is given a OK to eat it. The face lick is something I did not know about service animals; although its not specified anywhere what a dog can or can not do. So how is it any dog is held to a higher standard when there are no set standards in place? I'm not trying to start anything Roz; I come here to ask informative questions. Although it appears I have wore out my welcome since you wish to call, Me out".

Cheers

Old August 14th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So even by your own account your dog violated several "Don't Do's" at least Blitz will not eat food unless offered to him and he is given a OK to eat it. The face lick is something I did not know about service animals; although its not specified anywhere what a dog can or can not do. So how is it any dog is held to a higher standard when there are no set standards in place? I'm not trying to start anything Roz; I come here to ask informative questions. Although it appears I have wore out my welcome since you wish to call, Me out".

Cheers
Settle, petal!

I don't think Roz was talking about you!
Celebrity - 56 days.

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Cheers
Calm down...I don't think Roz was talking about you. I believe she is talking about people that go on-line and buy vests so they can bring the family pet out with them. Not a dog like you have. The Animal Cracker thing happened during team training. We went through it with our daughter. The reason most dogs go for the crackers is because they are seeing what they can get away with because there is someone new at the end of the leash, not one of the trainers. And let's be honest, at the end of the day Blitz is still a dog. On any given day he will go for the treat. Don't kid yourself into thinking he is always the perfect service dog.

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs