Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7661  
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:38 PM
S.S. Cruisers's Avatar
S.S. Cruisers S.S. Cruisers is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona/California
Posts: 3,141
Default

Barbara: Roz is right. Don't beat yourself up. You did what you had to do. I have been in the same situation and it will always hurt, but think of that cute little face running free and having fun with all the other furbabies across the Rainbow Bridge. I am truly sorry you have to go thru this.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...
__________________
Nancy
Reply With Quote

  #7662  
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Valentine's Mom's Avatar
Valentine's Mom Valentine's Mom is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 835
Default

Thank you SS and Roz for your wonderful words. I still cry for her but I know that with enough time I will heal. Your words hep a lot.

Barbara
__________________
Carnivale 1991
Carnival Destiny 1999
Costa Victoria 2000
Voyager of the Seas 2001
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Victory 2002
SS Norway 2003
Explorer of the Seas 10/4/2003
Explorer of the Seas 10/10/2004
Mariner of the Seas 10/30/2005
Carnival Elation 01/05/2007
Carnival Freedom 10/28/2007
Carnival Freedom 11/06/2008
Carnival Pride 05/18/2009
Carnival Dream 10/15/2009
Carnival Dream 10/27/2009
Crown Princess 11/27/2010
Carnival Magic 10/28/2011
Reply With Quote

  #7663  
Old August 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM
rangeley's Avatar
rangeley rangeley is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudle View Post
Where are you Cindy---hope that you are ok
I'm back Feeling much better but will still have this cough for another week or two. We are now dogless except for Wex of course. It's nice and peaceful. Summer is almost over (Yipee!!) and John will be going back to school soon. Our trip is coming up faster than I thought so pretty soon I will have to start the dog paperwork for some of these islands. I can't wait!!
__________________

  #7664  
Old August 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
rangeley's Avatar
rangeley rangeley is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,987
Default

Barb, We think of you often and are glad you have come back. We have had 3 friends who have lost dogs this summer, Valentine being one of them. It's been a rough time for all. I don't have to tell you it gets better, but it takes time. Our thoughts are with you.

Cindy
__________________

  #7665  
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM
wizard-of-roz's Avatar
wizard-of-roz wizard-of-roz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine's Mom View Post
Thank you SS and Roz for your wonderful words. I still cry for her but I know that with enough time I will heal. Your words hep a lot.

Barbara
She's ALWAYS inside of you, ALWAYS. And, I bet you're as bad as me with all the pictures. My kids always complain that I have more pictures of Brenny & Horton than I have of them.

Take your time grieving your little girl. She was the world to you.
__________________
Horton




Reply With Quote

  #7666  
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:34 AM
wizard-of-roz's Avatar
wizard-of-roz wizard-of-roz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
I'm back Feeling much better but will still have this cough for another week or two. We are now dogless except for Wex of course. It's nice and peaceful. Summer is almost over (Yipee!!) and John will be going back to school soon. Our trip is coming up faster than I thought so pretty soon I will have to start the dog paperwork for some of these islands. I can't wait!!
"Cindy's back and we're gonna get in trouble......sha, na, nee, na...Cindy's back!"
__________________
Horton




Reply With Quote

  #7667  
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
trudle's Avatar
trudle trudle is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Barefoot Bay, Fl
Posts: 1,343
Default

So glad that you are back Cindy----and I know that horrible caugh.

Hi to everyone else and have a great weekend.
__________________
Carnival- Celebration 1987--1st cruise
Carnival -Sensation 1999
Carnival -Sensation 2003
Carnival -Miracle 2004
Carnival -Liberty 11/12/2005
Carnival -Fantasy 4/29/2006
Carnival -Sensation 11/26/2006
Carnival -Freedom Thanksgiving 2008
Carnival -Dream 12/03/09 first time out of
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Freedon 2/25/2012
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12
Carnival Freedon 10/05/2013
Oceanic ( Big Red Boat )


Canaveral 1995



RCL Sovereign of the Seas
RCL Mariner of the Seas 11/11/07
RCL Monarch of the Seas 9/07/09
RCL Jewel of the Seas 5/11/13
RCL Enchantment of the Sea 4/28/2914

NCL Pride of Aloha 4/08/07

Celebrity Equinox 4/22/11

Holland American Westerdam 12/2-16/2012
Reply With Quote

  #7668  
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
wizard-of-roz's Avatar
wizard-of-roz wizard-of-roz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudle View Post
So glad that you are back Cindy----and I know that horrible caugh.

Hi to everyone else and have a great weekend.
You too, Miss Trudle!
__________________
Horton




Reply With Quote

  #7669  
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:52 PM
celle celle is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine's Mom View Post
Thank you SS and Roz for your wonderful words. I still cry for her but I know that with enough time I will heal. Your words hep a lot.

Barbara
Hi Barbara,

Yes, you will cry for Valentine (and so you should) and you will always miss her, but gradually the pain will become less severe. You'll remember all the good times and all the wonderful things she did for you.

It's 10 years now since we lost our Jess, my companion and my guardian. I still tear up now and then when I think of her, but mostly I remember how much she contributed to our lives. She was the best!

Thinking of you now. Take care! Best wishes,
Celle
__________________
Troop ship, Alexandria to Southampton 1945, 7 days. River Nile paddle steamer, Sudan to Tanganyika & return, 1946, 1947.
MV Akaroa, Southampton to Auckland 1968, 48 days. Yangtse River Cruise 2005, 4 days. Nile cruise Luxor to Aswan 2008 - 4 days.
Holland America - 58 cruising days, 100 status days.
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")
Reply With Quote

  #7670  
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
wizard-of-roz's Avatar
wizard-of-roz wizard-of-roz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celle View Post
Hi Barbara,

Yes, you will cry for Valentine (and so you should) and you will always miss her, but gradually the pain will become less severe. You'll remember all the good times and all the wonderful things she did for you.

It's 10 years now since we lost our Jess, my companion and my guardian. I still tear up now and then when I think of her, but mostly I remember how much she contributed to our lives. She was the best!

Thinking of you now. Take care! Best wishes,
Celle
OMG! I have no idea who Jess was but I have tears as you write about her.

I'm so glad that we all have each other to share our stories and love for our dogs.
__________________
Horton




Reply With Quote

  #7671  
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:25 PM
celle celle is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
OMG! I have no idea who Jess was but I have tears as you write about her.

I'm so glad that we all have each other to share our stories and love for our dogs.
Jess was a golden retriever. She wasn't a service dog - she thought she was another of our teenagers - but she appointed herself as my protector.

Whenever I walked her, she would always place herself between me and anyone else. When my DH was away on business, she would always sleep right beside my side of the bed - anyone wanting to get to me would have had to get past her first. She never did that when DH was at home.

Jess always answered the door with me. She would sit down beside me and inspect the visitor. She was the gentlest of dogs, but she was big and she had a loud bark. I always felt safe with her around.

God bless our dogs!
__________________
Troop ship, Alexandria to Southampton 1945, 7 days. River Nile paddle steamer, Sudan to Tanganyika & return, 1946, 1947.
MV Akaroa, Southampton to Auckland 1968, 48 days. Yangtse River Cruise 2005, 4 days. Nile cruise Luxor to Aswan 2008 - 4 days.
Holland America - 58 cruising days, 100 status days.
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")
Reply With Quote

  #7672  
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
wizard-of-roz's Avatar
wizard-of-roz wizard-of-roz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celle View Post
Jess was a golden retriever. She wasn't a service dog - she thought she was another of our teenagers - but she appointed herself as my protector.

Whenever I walked her, she would always place herself between me and anyone else. When my DH was away on business, she would always sleep right beside my side of the bed - anyone wanting to get to me would have had to get past her first. She never did that when DH was at home.

Jess always answered the door with me. She would sit down beside me and inspect the visitor. She was the gentlest of dogs, but she was big and she had a loud bark. I always felt safe with her around.

God bless our dogs!

Thanks for sharing Jess.
__________________
Horton




Reply With Quote

  #7673  
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM
guitarest's Avatar
guitarest guitarest is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
please do not insult or demean those of us who walk or wheel with a ligitmate Service Dog and have been through the rigors of the "process" to get there!!!!!
Roz you should know me better; it was not my intention to upset or be disrespectful towards you or any one here. If I did upset any one I am so very sorry its not my intention.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #7674  
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM
guitarest's Avatar
guitarest guitarest is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post
Roz you should know me better; it was not my intention to upset or be disrespectful towards you or any one here. If I did upset any one I am so very sorry its not my intention.
All I wanted to know is the doctor side of the process, reason being is there are loads of people (civilians) and while I do not believe them they say its their right. If disabled to bypass a prescription or doctors note and get or train a SD. I know on the VA side of the house that is untrue, just asking on your side.

As far as my process I could have waited also to get a professionally trained dog also; although I opted to go with Blitz and there are not many who do GSD's. In regards to what the VA did; with my paperwork the breeder felt bad for me and reduced his price; but I still paid money out of my pocket for Blitz, training, and supplies. So while it was a VA method it was expensive and something I will never see in return except in what Blitz does for me.

As for his training the VA wishes to use Blitz and I as a peer team to those younger guys returning to show what a specially trained dog can do for you. He went for his Therapy Dog Certification 30 minutes later I thought we had it up to the point where Blitz licked the examiner in the face; instant fail. He retests this week and I hope to get this certification it will add to his ability to help others and again its part of my recovery.

Again it was not my intention to upset anyone here.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #7675  
Old August 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM
wizard-of-roz's Avatar
wizard-of-roz wizard-of-roz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post
All I wanted to know is the doctor side of the process, reason being is there are loads of people (civilians) and while I do not believe them they say its their right. If disabled to bypass a prescription or doctors note and get or train a SD. I know on the VA side of the house that is untrue, just asking on your side.

As far as my process I could have waited also to get a professionally trained dog also; although I opted to go with Blitz and there are not many who do GSD's. In regards to what the VA did; with my paperwork the breeder felt bad for me and reduced his price; but I still paid money out of my pocket for Blitz, training, and supplies. So while it was a VA method it was expensive and something I will never see in return except in what Blitz does for me.

As for his training the VA wishes to use Blitz and I as a peer team to those younger guys returning to show what a specially trained dog can do for you. He went for his Therapy Dog Certification 30 minutes later I thought we had it up to the point where Blitz licked the examiner in the face; instant fail. He retests this week and I hope to get this certification it will add to his ability to help others and again its part of my recovery.

Again it was not my intention to upset anyone here.
Misunderstanding, understood.

With all the work and intense training that it takes to bring a highly skilled dog into the public venue, those folks out there who want to try and bring in a "pet" need to know that "we're watching you!" And, I won't hesitate to call you "out!"

When Horton put the animal cracker in his mouth [during testing in the mall] and, I was instructed to stick my hand down his throat and retrieve it.......I knew how serious CCI was in their dogs behavior's and their testing.

Face licking, eating off the ground, barking, growling, scratching are all NO, NO'S in the Service/Working Dog world.

Our dogs are held to a higher standard and I'm proud of it.
__________________
Horton





Last edited by wizard-of-roz; August 13th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7676  
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
wizard-of-roz's Avatar
wizard-of-roz wizard-of-roz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
Misunderstanding, understood.

With all the work and intense training that it takes to bring a highly skilled dog into the public venue, those folks out there who want to try and bring in a "pet" need to know that "we're watching you!" And, I won't hesitate to call you "out!"

When Horton put the animal cracker in his mouth [during testing in the mall] and, I was instructed to stick my hand down his throat and retrieve it.......I knew how serious CCI was in their dogs behavior's and their testing.

Face licking, eating off the ground, barking, growling, scratching are all NO, NO'S in the Service/Working Dog world.

Our dogs are held to a higher standard and I'm proud of it.

Okay, okay, he didn't "put it in his mouth".......he picked it up off the mall floor, after a trainer threw it at him.

I think of my babies as real people!!!!
__________________
Horton





Last edited by wizard-of-roz; August 13th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7677  
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM
S.S. Cruisers's Avatar
S.S. Cruisers S.S. Cruisers is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona/California
Posts: 3,141
Default

Roz: TeeHee, he could have. Leann Emily picks her dry crunchies up in her paw and eats them. I know, I know, she is a cat, but I bet if dog could do it, it would be a Lab!
__________________
Nancy
Reply With Quote

  #7678  
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM
guitarest's Avatar
guitarest guitarest is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
Misunderstanding, understood.

With all the work and intense training that it takes to bring a highly skilled dog into the public venue, those folks out there who want to try and bring in a "pet" need to know that "we're watching you!" And, I won't hesitate to call you "out!"

When Horton put the animal cracker in his mouth [during testing in the mall] and, I was instructed to stick my hand down his throat and retrieve it.......I knew how serious CCI was in their dogs behavior's and their testing.

Face licking, eating off the ground, barking, growling, scratching are all NO, NO'S in the Service/Working Dog world.

Our dogs are held to a higher standard and I'm proud of it.
So even by your own account your dog violated several "Don't Do's" at least Blitz will not eat food unless offered to him and he is given a OK to eat it. The face lick is something I did not know about service animals; although its not specified anywhere what a dog can or can not do. So how is it any dog is held to a higher standard when there are no set standards in place? I'm not trying to start anything Roz; I come here to ask informative questions. Although it appears I have wore out my welcome since you wish to call, Me out".

Cheers
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #7679  
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:22 AM
celle celle is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post
So even by your own account your dog violated several "Don't Do's" at least Blitz will not eat food unless offered to him and he is given a OK to eat it. The face lick is something I did not know about service animals; although its not specified anywhere what a dog can or can not do. So how is it any dog is held to a higher standard when there are no set standards in place? I'm not trying to start anything Roz; I come here to ask informative questions. Although it appears I have wore out my welcome since you wish to call, Me out".

Cheers
Settle, petal!

I don't think Roz was talking about you!
__________________
Troop ship, Alexandria to Southampton 1945, 7 days. River Nile paddle steamer, Sudan to Tanganyika & return, 1946, 1947.
MV Akaroa, Southampton to Auckland 1968, 48 days. Yangtse River Cruise 2005, 4 days. Nile cruise Luxor to Aswan 2008 - 4 days.
Holland America - 58 cruising days, 100 status days.
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")
Reply With Quote

  #7680  
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM
DisneyKidsDad's Avatar
DisneyKidsDad DisneyKidsDad is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarest View Post
So even by your own account your dog violated several "Don't Do's" at least Blitz will not eat food unless offered to him and he is given a OK to eat it. The face lick is something I did not know about service animals; although its not specified anywhere what a dog can or can not do. So how is it any dog is held to a higher standard when there are no set standards in place? I'm not trying to start anything Roz; I come here to ask informative questions. Although it appears I have wore out my welcome since you wish to call, Me out".

Cheers
Calm down...I don't think Roz was talking about you. I believe she is talking about people that go on-line and buy vests so they can bring the family pet out with them. Not a dog like you have. The Animal Cracker thing happened during team training. We went through it with our daughter. The reason most dogs go for the crackers is because they are seeing what they can get away with because there is someone new at the end of the leash, not one of the trainers. And let's be honest, at the end of the day Blitz is still a dog. On any given day he will go for the treat. Don't kid yourself into thinking he is always the perfect service dog.
__________________

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.