Helmet Dive Question

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:40 AM.
Columbia, S.C.
1,270 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
I guess this is a dumb question, but does the helmet attach to a suit you wear or how does it seal to keep water out??

Thanks!
Dix Hills, Long Island, New York
5,930 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Hey Bingo3
Try this link to find an answer. Go to the bottom of the page and click on "Procedures for Diving"

http://www.hartleybermuda.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rich & Loretta
Go Yankees and Giants

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

Cruises
Disney 1
Cunard 1
HAL 1
RCCI 3
Princess 11
NCL 22
AMA Waterways 3
MSC 1
Viking River 1
Columbia, S.C.
1,270 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Thanks so much, that answered it!! I can't imagine how it works and keeps the water out, but all that matters is that it does!
Northwest NJ
25 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by bingo3
Thanks so much, that answered it!! I can't imagine how it works and keeps the water out, but all that matters is that it does!
Fill your kitchen sink with water. Take a clear glass and push the open end straight down into the water. See the air trapped in the glass? That's the way the helmet works. The air inside can't get out, it's trapped in the helmet by its natural tendency to go up. Water won't come in since there's constant pressure inside the helmet.

Eric
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eric & Fran in NJ

Empress of the Seas - Bermuda - 10/2/04
Glen Allen, VA
2,628 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Good example! Also add the fact that air is being pumped in through the helmet! Your hair doesn't get wet, and you can wear eyeglasses...cool experience!!
North Jersey
10,226 Posts
Joined May 2004
I have made numerous attempts to book the Hartley Helmet dive but the guy does not reply to emails. How can anyone run a business like that? We will do the other one now even though the price is a bit more at least he responds to prospective customers.
252 Posts
Joined May 2001
We had the helmet dive pre-booked with Hartley's Helmet Dive for our cruise 9/4-9/12. I called to confirm when we got to the port and was told that he was cancelling all tours because he had engine trouble--at that time, he had no idea when he would be up and running again. I would have never known if I hadn't called.
Long Island, N.Y.
42 Posts
Joined May 2002
We booked the helmet drive through the ship. It was a great trip. You get about 15 minutes down in the water. The helmets are a bit heavy, but they are always checking to make sure your ok. Our 14yr old loved it. You can't beat the price. They met us at the dock and we walked about 50 feet and were on the boat. Great afternoon. Do buy a bottle of water as you leave the ship. The excursion offers no beverages.