Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > West Coast Departures
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

West Coast Departures
Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:31 PM
momthecruisedirector momthecruisedirector is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,676
Default Golden Princess Seattle missed the ship

It wasn't us......but husband and I were down at the pier today watching the Golden and Holland America's Oosterdam prepare to sail away. We got down there around 3:30 and at that point there was a Shuttle Express roaring through the parking lot to drop people off, a couple cabs and a private car. We watched as everyone on board disappeared to do the muster drill and we watched the HAL ship sail away. At a few minutes after 4:00 as the ship was just pulling away from the dock a taxi came speeding in, horn honking....but it was too late. Husband and I felt so awful, they were so close. We could see that there was someone from the pier (from Princess???) with a radio but it was just too late. Not sure what will happen to those four people, if they'll have to fly to the first port or what. We headed home to West Seattle and went to the viewpoint to see if they were able to charter a boat OR SOMETHING to get them on the ship but it didn't look like it. My heart really went out to them. I would assume they were stuck in traffic - the downtown area of I-5 is under major construction for these next two weeks and traffic looked like it was just stopped.

If this was your friends or family, please post and let us know how they fared.

If you are coming in tomorrow or the next few weeks be sure to mapquest a few different routes to the pier to give to your cab driver in case traffic is backed up. I know the cab drivers should know but there have been plenty of times a cabbie has claimed they don't know where to take us, like from LAX to Long Beach pier and that's with normal traffic.

I posted this in the Princess section also, just to remind everyone to plan for heavier then normal traffic.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM
KC_fn's Avatar
KC_fn KC_fn is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 1,477
Default

That is so sad, and I feel awful for those people.

I was in Seattle the first week of the construction, and the local media has terrified Puget Sounders away from I-5. Traffic was much lighter than normal every time I was on it (once at rush hour). But I wouldn't count on that holding; people are already coming back to the freeway. And yes, anyone driving I-5 needs to have an alternate route in mind.

In any case, let this be a cautionary tale. We don't know how these poor folks happened to be cutting it so close. Maybe they did get stuck in Puget Sound traffic, which can be awful anywhere, not just I-5. Maybe they flew in the day of the cruise and their flight was delayed. Maybe they were sight-seeing in beautiful Seattle, and the time just slipped away. Sadly, in all of these scenarios, missing their ship was foreseeable, and preventable.

Don't play Russian roulette with your cruise. Assume that all transportation is going to take far, far longer than it should. Plan on being at the dock at the EARLIEST possible time, not the LATEST possible time. A night-before hotel is the best investment in stress-reduction that I know.

Last edited by KC_fn; August 18th, 2007 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Cruisin' Chick's Avatar
Cruisin' Chick Cruisin' Chick is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: In the Valley, CA
Posts: 19,429
Default

That's so sad. My hubby's usually pulling us out the door in the am even when we're driving to our nearest port (we live about 50 miles from San Pedro). We rather get on the ship as early as possible (even tho' hubby hates standing in line).

When we were planning our Alaskan cruise three years ago, we booked Amtrak, instead of a flight. But we purposedly planned to get into Seattle Friday night for the Sunday cruise. And even then, the train was running late and we arrived just before midnight. We were glad to have the next day to relax and shop for anything we didn't schlep on the train.

When we were sightseeing that Saturday in our rental car, we noticed that Terminal 30 was right near the sports stadiums. Apparently a baseball game had just ended and the traffic was heavy, so we decided not to take any chances the next day and leave our hotel by 10 or so.

We also arranged a couple of days post-cruise so we can continue our vacation in Seattle and were glad we did.
__________________
Patty the Cruisin' Chick (may all your cruises be smooth sailin')

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:50 AM
momthecruisedirector momthecruisedirector is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,676
Default

We were parked near the fence by the ship and when we heard that cab come tearing through with the horn honking we felt helpless knowing those poor people missed the boat. Indeed it could have been anything, heck it could have been they live 10 minutes away and figured if the ship leaves at 4:00 they'll get there at 4:00 - obviously not cruisecritic members! Either way it's a good warning for others.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
bbappel's Avatar
bbappel bbappel is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,372
Default

We were on the Grand Princess in the British Isles last month and two evenings there were announcements requesting passengers in specific cabins to let the Purser know if they were on board. We waited in both instances until the passengers arrived. I didn't see them arrive, so I don't know if we left later than we would have (our captain tended to be late leaving port - he was replaced mid-cruise).

Sometimes, I guess they wait.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
NMLady's Avatar
NMLady NMLady is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: southern NM desert
Posts: 6,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_fn View Post
That is so sad, and I feel awful for those people.

I was in Seattle the first week of the construction, and the local media has terrified Puget Sounders away from I-5. Traffic was much lighter than normal every time I was on it (once at rush hour). But I wouldn't count on that holding; people are already coming back to the freeway. And yes, anyone driving I-5 needs to have an alternate route in mind.

In any case, let this be a cautionary tale. We don't know how these poor folks happened to be cutting it so close. Maybe they did get stuck in Puget Sound traffic, which can be awful anywhere, not just I-5. Maybe they flew in the day of the cruise and their flight was delayed. Maybe they were sight-seeing in beautiful Seattle, and the time just slipped away. Sadly, in all of these scenarios, missing their ship was foreseeable, and preventable.

Don't play Russian roulette with your cruise. Assume that all transportation is going to take far, far longer than it should. Plan on being at the dock at the EARLIEST possible time, not the LATEST possible time. A night-before hotel is the best investment in stress-reduction that I know.
We almost missed a cruise in 2000, so ever since then we fly in the day before the cruise and head to the cruise ship before noon for 4pm boarding. We now have lunch in the ship's buffet and it's more relaxing.

We'd almost missed our ship because of airline problems. We had a 5am flight that was cancelled, then the 7am flight had mechanical problems so it was 8am before we departed. We'd missed our connecting flight and our next one was delayed 45 minutes by weather-related problems. Luckily we had carry-on luggage and had been upgraded by the airline to first class on our 2nd flight as compensation for the cancelled & delayed flights, so we were first off the plane, and our taxi driver drove like the wind (got a nice tip from us). Even so, we barely boarded in time. They were removing the gangplank as we ran up. So, never again do we fly in the same day, even when it looks as if we have plenty of time. Too many possibilities can go wrong with flights.
__________________
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & my Joe

HAL 2- Star Mariner

NCL PLATINUM

NCL Star - Oct 2013 Panama Canal
NCL Star - Oct 2013. Transatlantic

NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Western Caribbean
NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Transatlantic
NCL Sun - Sept 2010; Norway, Iceland, Faroes, Lerwick, Scotland, Ireland

HAL Amsterdam - May 2010, 14 day Alaska

NCL Jewel - 2008 Transatlantic/British Isles
Celebrity Century -2007 British Isles
Oceania Regatta - 2007 Transatlantic to Marseille France
HAL Zaandam - 2006 Hawaii
NCL Sun - 2006 Panama Canal
NCL Sea - 2005 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Radisson [Regent] Diamond - 2005 Around the Boot of Italy
Oceania Insignia - 2005 Transatlantic to Rio de Janeiro
RCI Empress of the Seas - 2004 Soutther Caribbean
Celebrity Milennium - 2004 Transatlantic
Carnival Imagination - 2003 Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Jamaica
NCL Majesty - 2000 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 2000 Bahamas
RCI Nordic Empress (before remodel to Empress of the Seas - 1999 Eastern Caribbean
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Dan G Dan G is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,496
Default

I would never ever try to get to a cruise on the same day I'm flying in. That being said this post is from many yrs ago, so it sounds like Seattle is still having major freeway construction. Not true, just normal congestion like always.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
kenish kenish is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The OC
Posts: 5,363
Default

OP- Cruise ships are required to transmit their manifest to TSA 60 minutes before departure...so cruiselines require everyone to be checked in 90 minutes prior. It's emphasized in the cruise docs. The latecomers were unfortunately out of luck even if they were earlier. At intermediate ports, passengers can arrive at the last minute (they may even lower the gangway) since they are already on the manifest.

Also they couldn't hire a speedboat to catch up to the ship since they were not on the electronic manifest and were not security screened along with their luggage. Just the times we live in....their only option was to fly to the next port.

Very unfortunate consequence that sometimes happens when arriving "day of".
__________________
====================
Chandris Ellenis, Mediterranean- July 1978
X Infinity, Baja- October 2005
Carnival Paradise, Baja- January 2007
HAL Zaandam, Alaska- July 2008
HAL Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez- April 2010
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 1- November 2012
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 2- November 2013

Last edited by kenish; March 12th, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Mark Mcneil Mark Mcneil is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Default

That was so sad I feel very awful for the people who are left by the ship I'm sure they ave missed an important part of their lives.

Bingo Bonus

Last edited by Mark Mcneil; June 16th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Dan G Dan G is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,496
Default

west coast ports are a bit away from Florida. You may tri the East coast departure forum
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Gardyloo's Avatar
Gardyloo Gardyloo is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenish View Post
Also they couldn't hire a speedboat to catch up to the ship since they were not on the electronic manifest and were not security screened along with their luggage. Just the times we live in....their only option was to fly to the next port.
I actually think that boarding at, say, Ketchikan on a Seattle round-trip itinerary would be prohibited by the Passenger Services Act. The law allows round trips to/from the same US port provided the ship's itinerary includes a stop in a "near" foreign port, which the Seattle boats manage by stopping in Victoria. To carry passengers between two different US ports requires a stop in a "distant" foreign port. Canadian and Mexican ports are not considered "distant" under the terms of the PSA. So boarding (late) at Ketchikan and disembarking a few days later back in Seattle would mean the pax are basically doing a one-way cruise between US ports, contrary to the law.

Now the cruise line MIGHT allow this provided the pax pay the fine that would be levied against the cruise line ($200 or $300 per person IIRC) but they might also say no.

Otherwise I'd bet the best they could hope for is some sort of credit against a future cruise, and even that would be voluntary on the cruise line's part.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
SeattleCruiselover's Avatar
SeattleCruiselover SeattleCruiselover is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I actually think that boarding at, say, Ketchikan on a Seattle round-trip itinerary would be prohibited by the Passenger Services Act. The law allows round trips to/from the same US port provided the ship's itinerary includes a stop in a "near" foreign port, which the Seattle boats manage by stopping in Victoria. To carry passengers between two different US ports requires a stop in a "distant" foreign port. Canadian and Mexican ports are not considered "distant" under the terms of the PSA. So boarding (late) at Ketchikan and disembarking a few days later back in Seattle would mean the pax are basically doing a one-way cruise between US ports, contrary to the law.

Now the cruise line MIGHT allow this provided the pax pay the fine that would be levied against the cruise line ($200 or $300 per person IIRC) but they might also say no.

Otherwise I'd bet the best they could hope for is some sort of credit against a future cruise, and even that would be voluntary on the cruise line's part.
Yes, they WILL allow it if you pay the $300 per person fine. Otherwise, no. That's why travel insurance is so important.
__________________
Karen--Seattle CruiseLover

Fair Princess 1991
Sun Viking 1992
Nordic Prince 1993
Carnival Holiday 1994
Windward 1995, 1996, 1997
Sun Princess 1997, 1998, 1999
Regal Princess 1999
Norwegian Wind 9/11/01, 2002, 2003
Celebrity Infinity 2004
Norwegian Star 2005, Alaska 2010
Golden Princess 2008
Golden Princess 2009

My Travel Photo Gallery :

http://www.photographybylyon.com/

My Travel Video Gallery:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...tleCruiselover











Last edited by SeattleCruiselover; June 16th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Cruisin' Chick's Avatar
Cruisin' Chick Cruisin' Chick is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: In the Valley, CA
Posts: 19,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgmg View Post
west coast ports are a bit away from Florida. You may tri the East coast departure forum

???? this thread has been in the Western Destinations board for a reason. No one is talking about Florida, but the advice regarding flying in at least a day ahead of a cruise applies there too.
__________________
Patty the Cruisin' Chick (may all your cruises be smooth sailin')

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Bill S's Avatar
Bill S Bill S is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,500
Default

There was a posting in this thread earlier today that asked questions about an east coast port, so apparently it has been moved by one of the moderators.
__________________
Bill S
-------
Click Here to Email Me
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Eaglecw's Avatar
Eaglecw Eaglecw is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 499
Default

I remember a couple of years ago when we were up in Ketchikan. We were set to leave at 4pm. At about 3:45 they started announcing names to please contact the Pursers office. At about 4:05 they blew the ships horn a couple of times. At 4:15 on the dot they pulled the gangway and the ship started breast out from the pier. We were about 4 feet out from the pier when 4 people came running down the pier, they tried to get the ship to stop and come back to let them on. We didn’t stop we continued on the Victoria BC, we picked them up in Victoria BC the next day. You could tell they weren’t happy cruisers.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:25 PM
KAYEF KAYEF is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglecw View Post
I remember a couple of years ago when we were up in Ketchikan. We were set to leave at 4pm. At about 3:45 they started announcing names to please contact the Pursers office. At about 4:05 they blew the ships horn a couple of times. At 4:15 on the dot they pulled the gangway and the ship started breast out from the pier. We were about 4 feet out from the pier when 4 people came running down the pier, they tried to get the ship to stop and come back to let them on. We didn’t stop we continued on the Victoria BC, we picked them up in Victoria BC the next day. You could tell they weren’t happy cruisers.
TWICE we've had this happen in Ketchikan. (We are ALWAYS on the top deck to watch the runners).
Last year a lady came just WALKING, not seeming to be in a hurry at all and carrying many bags from shopping. Just as we pulled away, her cabinmate (?) tossed her passport to her.
It seems some people think the ship WILL wait for them (perhaps they're more important than others).............and it doesn't seem right when the ship DOES. It sort of tells those who make it a point to return on time (posted right when you disembark) that they needn't really make the effort.
There have been some video postings on here of people frantically running and waving at the ship's captain as the ship pulls away.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
CanWeGoYet?'s Avatar
CanWeGoYet? CanWeGoYet? is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: seattle
Posts: 4,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenish View Post
OP- Cruise ships are required to transmit their manifest to TSA 60 minutes before departure...so cruiselines require everyone to be checked in 90 minutes prior. It's emphasized in the cruise docs. The latecomers were unfortunately out of luck even if they were earlier. At intermediate ports, passengers can arrive at the last minute (they may even lower the gangway) since they are already on the manifest.

Also they couldn't hire a speedboat to catch up to the ship since they were not on the electronic manifest and were not security screened along with their luggage. Just the times we live in....their only option was to fly to the next port.

Very unfortunate consequence that sometimes happens when arriving "day of".
Not that I would ever encourage someone to cut it close on embarkation, but it isn't set in stone that you must be checked in 90 minutes prior to sailing. On the Imagination cruise I took last december, we nearly missed the ship because we had trouble finding our way back to the car rental drop off near MIA. It was a nightmare. Luckily we had completed the online pre-boarding, had a printout of it, and even though we were lost for over an hour - we finally got workable directions to the rental car place & they whisked us to the port. We got there 45 minutes before sail away. I got the number for Carnival at the port through guest services & called to let them know we were running behind - they said so long as we got there by 3:30 for the 4'o'clock sail away we would be ok. Still I was completely freaked out & white knuckled - it isn't my style to put off getting on board but friend wanted to see Miami, was first time cruiser & to her it was a waste of time getting on board early. On the shuttle to the port, there was a Mom & daughter planning to board too - she was totally nonchalant and said "it's no big deal. I always board about this time - this way no lines." My friend sort of smirked at me like I had made a big deal over nothing.

Boarding that late did suck though. We would have had priority embark for being suite guests, so no reason to wait. Lido deck shutting down, wouldn't let us get in line - when I saw others who managed to sneak in line after we were turned away I got mad - at least one helpful worker finally told us we could still dine inside - just not at the station out poolside.
__________________




Carnival Miracle 6/11/2013 (7)
Carnival Inspiration 3/4/2013 (4)
Carnival Inspiration 11/19/2012 B2B (4/3)
Carnival Spirit 5/1/2012 (7)
HAL Amsterdam 9/20/2010 (4)
Carnival Liberty 3/20/2010 (7)
Carnival Imagination 12/04/2009 (3)
Celebrity Century 4/25/2009 (14)
Carnival Pride 7/11/2004 (7)
Carnival Celebration 4/16/2000 (7)
Carnival Jubilee 2/12/1995 (7)
NYK Line M.S. Hikawa Maru 5/12/1960 -5/27/1960 Seattle -Yokohama, transpacific with Mom
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Americanlife Americanlife is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgmg View Post
videovideo
I would never ever try to get to a cruise on the same day I'm flying in. That being said this post is from many yrs ago, so it sounds like Seattle is still having major freeway construction. Not true, just normal congestion like always.
I agree

Last edited by Americanlife; July 15th, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Fattony Fattony is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
Posts: 1,528
Default

The vehicle driver was honking as he sped into the port area? He thought the ship's captain would hear the horn and turn back? I don't think so. Imagine a shuttle or taxi driver roaring into an airport drop-off area with horn blaring, or late-arriving passengers thinking the plane will turn back once it's pulled away from the gate (in fact, once the gate is closed there's no more boarding, even if the plane hasnt yet pulled away). Yet one still sees questions here from people wondring if they should gamble on making a flight a short time after a ship is scheduled to arrive at a port. I readily agree that circumstances beyond a passenger's control can occur. When we took a cruise from Buenos Aires, several passengers coming from Florida missed the departure due to airline maintenance problems (several flights were grounded or delayed). Fortunately, they were able to fly into Montevideo instead and catch the ship the next day there. But if they'd missed that port, they would have been out of luck (there were no other ports easy to reach by air). Many people swear they never have problems arriving for a cruise on disembarkation day.

Last edited by Fattony; July 16th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Blogpostwriter Blogpostwriter is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
The vehicle driver was honking as he sped into the port area? He thought the ship's captain would hear the horn and turn back? I don't think so. Imagine a shuttle or taxi driver roaring into an airport drop-off area with horn blaring, or late-arriving passengers thinking the plane will turn back once it's pulled away from the gate
Thats right. It is impossible to hear it not mentioning the roaring sound of a plane when it takes of. +1 to the part where a vehicle would be able to follow a taking off plane.


Blog Writing Service
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.