Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:04 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boytjie View Post
We also go there for dinner. LOL
SO sorry about the typo!! I guess since I did that I now to add that some straights go there for lunch too. I'm not a great typist on a good day, but I'm finding I'm a LOT worse on the iPad. I need to ALWAYS proof read and nt rely on spell check to point out errors.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ellen View Post
SO sorry about the typo!! I guess since I did that I now to add that some straights go there for lunch too. I'm not a great typist on a good day, but I'm finding I'm a LOT worse on the iPad. I need to ALWAYS proof read and nt rely on spell check to point out errors.
Oh I thought it was very funny. I too suffer from the Curse of Teh.

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old September 21st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can we get a table for two? (as you wish dining) thanks in advance for your assistance

Old September 21st, 2011, 03:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Sometimes...you may have to wait a while.

Roz

Old September 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newleno View Post
Can we get a table for two? (as you wish dining) thanks in advance for your assistance
There are tables for two in all venues of AYWD - which covers ALL the food venues on the HAL ships.

Old September 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool AYWD table for two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newleno View Post
If your experience was like ours on the Prinsendam last year you could get what was billed as a table for two by requesting and getting a confirmation every day. However our table was elbow to elbow with a table for 6 and while they were very pleasant people it is not our definition of a "Table for Two". This was the first time in many years of cruising that we were not able to be put in the Fixed late seating which we always request, even though we had made our booking 7 months in advance.

Old December 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Does Open Dining require Pre-Paid Gratuities

Does HAL now require that those with Open Dining pay thier Hotel Charges at Final Payment? We will have a fair amount of On Baord Credit and we were hoping to use it for the Hotel Charges but if we have paid those at Final Payment .... will that's another thread I guess.

Thanks, m--
Carnival Spirit - Alaska 09/2003 , Regal Princess - Panama Canal 1 2/2004, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean 12/2005 B2B, HAL Maasdam - S Caribbean 12/2006, Diamond Princess - Hawaii 12/2007, HAL Ryndam - Sea of Cortez 04/2008, Carnival Sprit/HAL Oosterdam B2B Mex Rivieria 12/08, HAL Volendam - Alaska 05/2009 , HAL Amsterdam - Panama Canal Dec 2009,Princess - Med/TA Ruby Princess 10/2010, Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean 3/2011, Carnival Liberty - Caribbean 4/2011 , Maasdam - Caribbean 3/2012, Star Princess - Hawaii 11/2012, Carnival Splendor - SA 'Round the Horn 2/2013, HAL Volendam - LA to Sydney 9/2013, Celebrity Solstice Australia to New Zealand 11/2013, Ocean Princess Society Islands and Tahiti to Hawaii B2B 1/2014.
Still to Come: Hurtigruten Midnatsol - N orway W Coast 10/2014, Viking Embla - Rhine, Main, Danube 11/2014, HAL Maasdam - W TA 11/2014

Old December 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMLincoln View Post
Does HAL now require that those with Open Dining pay thier Hotel Charges at Final Payment? We will have a fair amount of On Baord Credit and we were hoping to use it for the Hotel Charges but if we have paid those at Final Payment .... will that's another thread I guess.

Thanks, m--
No, HAL doesn't require pre-payment of the Hotel Charges when you have Open Seating. I know Celebrity does, but so far HAL doesn't.

Carolyn
Eurodam Baltic Adventure 2014, Infinity British Isles 2014, Zuiderdam Pacific Coastal 2013, Noordam, Southern Caribbean 2013, Maasdam, Canada-New England 2012, Silhouette, Holy Land 2011, Amsterdam, Pacific Coastal 2010, Zaandam, Circle Hawaii 2010, Zuiderdam, Sunfarer Panama Canal 2009, Rotterdam, Med 2008, Volendam, Coastal 2007, Noordam, Coastal 2007, Rotterdam, Eastern Med and Egypt 2006, Amsterdam, Alaska 2004

Old December 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising-along View Post
No, HAL doesn't require pre-payment of the Hotel Charges when you have Open Seating. I know Celebrity does, but so far HAL doesn't.
Very good news! And thank you Cruising-Along! We had to pre-pay on Celerity earlier this year and I thought I had read that somewhere about HAL now, but couldn't find itwritten anywhere ... I guess because it isn't so! m--
Carnival Spirit - Alaska 09/2003 , Regal Princess - Panama Canal 1 2/2004, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean 12/2005 B2B, HAL Maasdam - S Caribbean 12/2006, Diamond Princess - Hawaii 12/2007, HAL Ryndam - Sea of Cortez 04/2008, Carnival Sprit/HAL Oosterdam B2B Mex Rivieria 12/08, HAL Volendam - Alaska 05/2009 , HAL Amsterdam - Panama Canal Dec 2009,Princess - Med/TA Ruby Princess 10/2010, Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean 3/2011, Carnival Liberty - Caribbean 4/2011 , Maasdam - Caribbean 3/2012, Star Princess - Hawaii 11/2012, Carnival Splendor - SA 'Round the Horn 2/2013, HAL Volendam - LA to Sydney 9/2013, Celebrity Solstice Australia to New Zealand 11/2013, Ocean Princess Society Islands and Tahiti to Hawaii B2B 1/2014.
Still to Come: Hurtigruten Midnatsol - N orway W Coast 10/2014, Viking Embla - Rhine, Main, Danube 11/2014, HAL Maasdam - W TA 11/2014

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default AYWD on HAL

I think it is working quite well. We have used AYWD on all of the five cruises we made with HAL, and it was fine.
But it took us a while to understand the "finesses" of it! For instance, we really enjoyed a team of waiters, and they asked us after a week aboard if we wanting to book a table with them around 8pm every night. At first, we said no, to keep the freedom of eating whenever we felt like it. But we noticed that dinner was taking a long time, mostly waiting between dishes. Finally, we decided to try this... fixed time AYWD...
And that was just perfect. No more waiting, the table was always available from 7:45 pm till 8:45. We kept the luxury of eating when we wanted and got away with the waiting, the sometimes difficult orderings with new waiters, etc. Our team knew the wines we liked, and asked us every day whether it would be white (an Italian one) or red (Duboeuf beaujolais), how many lobsters we wanted (when available) and so forth. We were polite, meaning for instance if we decided to eat in the stateroom, I would stop by the MDR to tell them not to expect us or keep the table.
And we tipped the 3 of them discretely at the end. The tips were meant for them, not for any one else.
I loved it!

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:30 PM
30,000+ Club

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertheprince View Post
I think it is working quite well. We have used AYWD on all of the five cruises we made with HAL, and it was fine.
Everyone has AYWD on every cruise. Some have it on fixed seating, others on open. And a few have it in the Lido every night. Some go to alternate restaurants every once in a while, and some even eat in their cabins a time or two.
And sometimes people don't get the dining they wish.

If the answer isn't "chocolate", you're asking the wrong question.

Old February 12th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We've been away from HAL for two years now, mostly due to our past experience with AYWD on the Westerdam.

Have they addressed the problem we experienced where they were slow to reset tables for two after the first use? We would show up at 8:30, ask for a two top and they would say they didn't have any. But we could look in and see many tables for two that were not reset. They kept wanting to push us to a table of eight. As they led us to a larger table we would pass by many unset tables. Didn't seem back then they understood the concept of dining on our schedule with our choice of accommodations.

On other lines, they constantly reset the two's. Even the head waiters were seen clearing the tables for a quick turn around.
Explorer of the Seas, December 4, 2014
NCL STAR, April 12, 2015 Transcanal

We were on the last cruise of the SS Norway
and went to muster stations for real
D-PLUS
ELITE
GOLD

Last edited by cruzincurt; February 12th, 2012 at 11:33 PM.

Old February 13th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzincurt View Post
We've been away from HAL for two years now, mostly due to our past experience with AYWD on the Westerdam.

Have they addressed the problem we experienced where they were slow to reset tables for two after the first use? We would show up at 8:30, ask for a two top and they would say they didn't have any. But we could look in and see many tables for two that were not reset. They kept wanting to push us to a table of eight. As they led us to a larger table we would pass by many unset tables. Didn't seem back then they understood the concept of dining on our schedule with our choice of accommodations.

On other lines, they constantly reset the two's. Even the head waiters were seen clearing the tables for a quick turn around.
Your experience with 'AYWD', (also referred to as 'Open Dining'), are the very reasons, (among others), that I gave up on dining in the MDR, & migrated to the Lido/Canaletto, where I have been enjoying my dining experience ever since!

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriatricNurse View Post
Your experience with 'AYWD', (also referred to as 'Open Dining'), are the very reasons, (among others), that I gave up on dining in the MDR, & migrated to the Lido/Canaletto, where I have been enjoying my dining experience ever since!
Well our experience was two years ago and they seemed to be stuck on the idea of two seatings even in AYWD. Hopefully they have changed and become more accommodating. After this routine one night we went off to the LIDO only to find it was "Staff Only" because they had a deck barbcue for the passengers earlier in the evening. You have to be kidding.
Explorer of the Seas, December 4, 2014
NCL STAR, April 12, 2015 Transcanal

We were on the last cruise of the SS Norway
and went to muster stations for real
D-PLUS
ELITE
GOLD

Old February 14th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzincurt View Post
Well our experience was two years ago and they seemed to be stuck on the idea of two seatings even in AYWD. Hopefully they have changed and become more accommodating. After this routine one night we went off to the LIDO only to find it was "Staff Only" because they had a deck barbcue for the passengers earlier in the evening. You have to be kidding.
Your reference to "two seatings", in my view, only relates to the two seatings in 'Traditional' (dinner) seatings! In 'AYWD', actually, more correctly referred to as 'Open Dining', one is able to either make dinner reservations, (up to two days ahead), or present themselves at the door to the MDR, (on the upper level), beginning at 1715 (5:15 p.m.), and request a table of choice for dinner! From my experience, in the past, if you are a 'solo' or 'couple', you will be 'encouraged' to sit at a larger table, presumeably in order to 'fill it up'! It did seem more difficult to obtain a table for two, ('two top'), for whatever reason(s)! With regard to the Lido, if there is a BBQ on the deck, by the pool, then what I have done (and will continue to do), with no problem, is to bring my food (inside) from the BBQ and dine in quiet & air conditionned comfort! Traditionally, ONE side of the Lido will be reserved, each evening, for the "staff" to eat dinner, which from my past experience, leaves adequate room on the 'other' side for all the passengers, (and there are many), who choose to enjoy dinner (in the LIDO)!

Old March 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default AYWD Tipping

If you have different table waiters each night but wish to tip extra, you can always increase the daily gratuity rate above the automatic $11.50 or $12.00. I read on another thread that 35% goes to the dinning room staff. Not all that efficient, but it's simple.

Last edited by drgrinch; March 7th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Old March 11th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgrinch View Post
If you have different table waiters each night but wish to tip extra, you can always increase the daily gratuity rate above the automatic $11.50 or $12.00. I read on another thread that 35% goes to the dinning room staff. Not all that efficient, but it's simple.
The daily 'Hotel Service Charge', per person, (aka gratuities/tips), in the amount of $11.50, that you have indicated refers to those who are accomodated in 'suites'! For everyone else, it is $11.25! So, it is $11.25 & $11.50, (not $11.50 & $12.00)!

Old March 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Please could you tell me what are "hotel charges"?

Shayne

Old March 21st, 2012, 11:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieblue View Post
Please could you tell me what are "hotel charges"?

Shayne
Hi Shayne, the hotel charge is the amount charged to your account daily for gratuities. It's $11.50 per person per day, $12.00 if you are in a suite.

Carolyn
Eurodam Baltic Adventure 2014, Infinity British Isles 2014, Zuiderdam Pacific Coastal 2013, Noordam, Southern Caribbean 2013, Maasdam, Canada-New England 2012, Silhouette, Holy Land 2011, Amsterdam, Pacific Coastal 2010, Zaandam, Circle Hawaii 2010, Zuiderdam, Sunfarer Panama Canal 2009, Rotterdam, Med 2008, Volendam, Coastal 2007, Noordam, Coastal 2007, Rotterdam, Eastern Med and Egypt 2006, Amsterdam, Alaska 2004

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi Shayne, the hotel charge is the amount charged to your account daily for gratuities. It's $11.50 per person per day, $12.00 if you are in a suite.
Thanks Caroline