Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Private Islands

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Private Islands Disney's Castaway Cay, Carnival Corp.'s Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay, RCI's Labadee & Coco Cay, Princess Cays etc.

Old September 15th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default New Snorkel Safari Tour at Labadee!!!!

We just got back from the Mariner and were thrilled by this new tour at Labadee. I have been snorkeling at other ports, and they were ok. This was really incredible. They bring you to this location in the middle of the water that was just breathtaking. On one side there was a fantastic coral reef and on the other, a sand bar. So you can choose where you want to go, or do both. The coral formations were some of the best we've seen and the water was just crystal clear. You could really just see everything. The sandbar was fantastic. After we snorkeled for a little while, we went there. You are just literally standing in the middle of the ocean. It doesn't get better then that. The view was spectacular! We just relaxed there for the rest of the tour and it was so worth it. Then once we got back on the boat, there was great music and some drinks, and everyone just had a great time on the ride back. Oh and if anyone has done the Castaway at Malfini tour, their tour guide Conrad, is now doing this. He is so funny and energetic and just really helps you have a good time. The whole staff was just fantastic. I can not say enough how wonderful this was. It was one of the highlights of our cruise. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in snorkeling. It doesn't get much better then this.

Old September 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile New Snorkel Safari Tour at Labadee

Hi,

that really sounds great. I had a look at RCI homepage but this tour does not show up. Did you book it on the ship ?

Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I didn't find it online either. We were like the second tour that went out. This is a brand new tour. The guides told me that it just started and it was going to be online soon or something like that. If you are going to labadee, this is definitely something to consider.

Old September 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like exactly what we want to do on Labadee! A few questions, if you don't care:

Do you remember the cost?
We will bring our own snorkel, mask, and fins, but not vest--I know on CocoCay they require you to rent the vest, which is like $6. Do you know if that is the case on Labadee also?
Do they take you out on a boat or do you swim out?
Where do you go when you get off the tender to find the excursion?
Monrach of the Seas 2/9/09--Nassau, CocoCay
Mariner of the Seas 2/10/08--Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel--Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=38466
Mariner of the Seas 2/4/07--San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten--Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=25630
Sovereign of the Seas 2/17/06--Nassau, CocoCay--Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=16250
Sovereign of the Seas 10/18/01--Nassau, CocoCay
"Getting stuck here sure would be easy, in this palm tree paradise. Ambition fades, with every wave, for the finer things in life. I think I'll just hang around here, go home later next year..."

Old September 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think it was 42 dollars. With that, all the equipment was provided. We all were wearing vest, so i guess you would have to also. We went out on a big boat that had ladders which were really easy to climb up and down from. To find the excursion, it's in the same place that all the other stuff is at (waverunners, parasail, etc.). I forget the exact name of the beach, but it not hard to find. When you are on the tender, you'll see a big blue boat on the right, the boat is actually called big blue, lol. Just go there and the guys will help you out. Everyone there is really nice. Hope this helps.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM
10,000+ Club

It sounds great! How long is the excursion? We will be with friends who are not big snorkelers & would love to be able to do the excursion & still have 'beach time' with them!

Coming Up!

Happy Memories...
Big Red Boat 06/93 (Bahamas)~ Explorer of the Seas 06/05 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 04/06 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Monarch of the Seas 12/06 (Baja Mexico) ~ Monarch of the Seas 04/07 (Baja Mexico) ~ Golden Princess 01/08 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Explorer of the Seas 04/08 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Caribbean Princess 05/09 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Radiance of the Seas 09/09 (Cabo San Lucas) ~ Mariner of the Seas 05/10 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Carnival Spirit 07/10 (Alaska) ~ NCL Pride of America 05/11 (Hawaii)~ Allure of the Seas 04/13 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas B2B 05/14 (Southern Caribbean)

Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean B2B 2014 Pictorial Review
Allure of the Seas Pictorial Review!

Are you an Arizona Cruiser? Come join the fun! "Never Ending Circle of Friends"

Old September 27th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's 2 hours long i think. You'll have plenty of time back to enjoy Labadee.

Old October 6th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just got off Liberty of the Seas on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Thought we probably wouldn't snorkle as there didn't seem to be any good spots. Haven't seen anygood reviews for San Juan, and tried Pinel Island in St Maarten last year and was not impressed. After seeing this post, I thought I'd give this a try, and I'm glad we did. If you want to see big fish, this is not the spot for you. The water and it's deepest was probably about 10 feet deep. The fish we did see, however, were very colorful and there was a large variety of fish to see. The most impressive thing though was the coral everywhere. There was brain coral, tube coral, sea fans, Elk Antler (I think that's what our guide called it) coral, and lots of other colorful plant life to see. And since the ocean floor was not that far away, it was easy to explore for sand dollars, sea biscuits, sea shells, etc. My youngest daughter is a good swimmer, but a bit afraid af the open water. She did get out on the sand bar and snorkled a little bit, and now wants to go back.

The only downside is that I thought the actual snorkle time was a bit short. The total tour time was 2 hours and actual time in the water was probably just a bit over an hour. However, for the price, I thought it was a great deal. It was $42/adult and $36/child.

• 2009 - MSC Orchestra
  • 2008 - Mariner of the Seas
  • 2007 - Enchantment of the Seas///Liberty of the Seas
  • 2006 - Grandeur of the Seas///Sovereign of the Seas///Mariner of the Seas
  • 2005 - Sovereign of the Seas

Old October 8th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Cruise Critic Host

we are booked on Millie in january and the response i got from rci shore excursion office was that they were trying to put together a snorkel excursion..they do not have it listed as a shore ex for my cruise ... hopefully they will get it together

Host Star
Cruise Critic message board moderator
HostStar@cruisecritic.com

plus!!!

Diamond plus Member of Royal Caribbean

Old October 9th, 2007, 12:48 AM
10,000+ Club

It is listed now on the RCI Shore Excursions site!

Coming Up!

Happy Memories...
Big Red Boat 06/93 (Bahamas)~ Explorer of the Seas 06/05 (Western Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas 04/06 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Monarch of the Seas 12/06 (Baja Mexico) ~ Monarch of the Seas 04/07 (Baja Mexico) ~ Golden Princess 01/08 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Explorer of the Seas 04/08 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Caribbean Princess 05/09 (Southern Caribbean) ~ Radiance of the Seas 09/09 (Cabo San Lucas) ~ Mariner of the Seas 05/10 (Mexican Riviera) ~ Carnival Spirit 07/10 (Alaska) ~ NCL Pride of America 05/11 (Hawaii)~ Allure of the Seas 04/13 (Eastern Caribbean) ~ Jewel of the Seas B2B 05/14 (Southern Caribbean)

Old November 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I saw that there is a bar on the boat that takes you to the snorkeling site. Are the drinks included in the price, or do you pay extra for them?

Old November 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivama View Post
I saw that there is a bar on the boat that takes you to the snorkeling site. Are the drinks included in the price, or do you pay extra for them?

They're extra and the selection is pretty limited. We just had sodas.

• 2009 - MSC Orchestra
  • 2008 - Mariner of the Seas
  • 2007 - Enchantment of the Seas///Liberty of the Seas
  • 2006 - Grandeur of the Seas///Sovereign of the Seas///Mariner of the Seas
  • 2005 - Sovereign of the Seas

Old December 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Has anyone else been on this excursion lately? Updates? I am getting ready to reserve this for my cruise in April!

Coming Up!

Happy Memories...

Old December 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks AZ

This is a nice writeup. we have booked this excursion for our late Jan cruise... more feedback is good feedback!

Read my review of my Triumph Cruise
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...fm?EntryID=510
---
Triumph - Jan 01
Adventure of the Seas - Dec 01
Horizon - Jan 03
Explorer of the Seas - Feb 08
Jewel of the Seas - Oct 09
*Explorer of the Seas - Dec 12

Old December 10th, 2007, 11:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSMaine View Post
This is a nice writeup. we have booked this excursion for our late Jan cruise... more feedback is good feedback!
I'll be looking forward to your review!

Coming Up!

Happy Memories...

Old December 29th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default snorkle labadee

anyone done this this lately? info please! sounds great, does the boat have a head? gotta ask! teehee

Old January 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Cruise Critic Host

we just returned from the Millenium and did the labadee snorkel excursion... if you have snorkled before, you will be disappointed.. very few very tiny fish... very little coral.. the highlight is the crew on the snorkel boat.. personable, helpful, good clean equipment.. if you go, wait for jeremy or mike to get in the water with you to take you to the few places there are to see anything.. they need to find a better reef or area to take you snorkeling.. we had a gorgeous flat, calm seas and we were taken to just off a sandbar.. there was no reason not to take us to a better place to snorkel as the weather was perfect.. so if this is the best they have , i would say it might be ok for beginners.. i did not see a 'head' on the boat,, they do sell rum punch (2 for 1) and sodas after the snorkeling.. we stayed out in the water the entire time even tho snorkeling was poor at best, it was delightful to be out there on a perfect day.. we did see a few very tiny colorful fish.. it is not a WOW snorkel excursion but the crew is WOW!..

Host Star

plus!!!

Last edited by Host Star; January 14th, 2008 at 01:46 PM.

Old January 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks

Host Star-- Thanks for the report. I was afraid that might be the case and so will just make it a beach day.

Old January 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachief View Post
Host Star-- Thanks for the report. I was afraid that might be the case and so will just make it a beach day.
i would check with the excursion desk to see if they have found a better area to take you.. if they say its off the sand bar, its the same spot.. I feel sorry for the guys running the excursion as they try hard but i would think there has to be some decent snorkeling close by but i assume they would have found it by now...

Host Star

plus!!!

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Since the most recent reply on this thread is over a year old, I thought I'd ask again - has anyone done this more recently? Some of these replies make it sound like the snorkeling isn't that impressive off the sandbar. Could anyone else share a more recent experience? Would you recommend it?

Thanks,
Erica
May 2009 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas, Western Caribbean
May 2008 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas, Western Caribbean
May 2007 - RCCL Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean