Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old September 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Princess disembark ? out of San Pedro port (Hawaii cruise)

We will be on the Diamond Princess 11/20/07 Hawaii cruise out of Sand Pedro port. The ship SHOULD dock @ 7a. On other Princess cruises, the self disembark people are called first & walk off around 8a. We've been on cruises where this has taken an hour. Then the 1st color code/early flights are called, usually around 9a. If you are on a Princess bus, usually rolls out by 9:20-9:30a. Can anyone comment on this timeframe out of San Pedro?
We are not sure if we want to do self disembark or early flights on a Princess bus. The estimated time will determine what we choose. Do you know if the line of cabs outside the terminal will include VAN cabs? Thanks.....

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Alot depends on how many ships are in port! since you need to go through customs. if the Diamond is the only ship, you will get off quickly as planned. if other ships are in port, it could be a long haul! we got off the Island on one of our trips to Hawaii at 1pm! (it was a big long mess I don't want to go into...but ships show up that were not on the port calander and they had a mess!)
You will love this cruise. I have not been on the Diamond, but I have been on the sapphire (sister ship) my favorite spot is the wheelhouse bar.

Old September 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM
5,000+ Club

We were Red 2 and were off the ship around 845 and at the airport by 930 using Supershuttle. We had at least one other ship in port with us. This was January 2006 on the Sapphire.

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The
Rocks."

Fond Memories Of

Navigator Of The Seas - Western Caribbean - Jan 2011
Carnival Pride - Grand Turk and Bahamas - Twins First Cruise - Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Jan 2008
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada/New England - Sept 2001
Carnival Tropicale - Panama Canal - Jan 2001
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1999
Westerdam - Honeymoon -Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1995

Old September 18th, 2007, 02:26 AM
10,000+ Club

On our Hawaiian cruise, the disembarkation process didn't even begin until after 8:30am (and the only other ship in SP with us was the Monarch of the Seas). Fortunately, we're within driving distance of San Pedro so it didn't matter to us that we didn't get off the ship before 11am.

If you're planning to catch a flight on 11/20, be aware that is two days before Thanksgiving. I've flown into LAX twice the Tuesday before Thanksgiving...and it's a zoo, traffic-wise. I strongly advise you to add time to traveling to the airport. Don't book a morning flight.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old September 18th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4275princess View Post
We will be on the Diamond Princess 11/20/07 Hawaii cruise out of Sand Pedro port. The ship SHOULD dock @ 7a. On other Princess cruises, the self disembark people are called first & walk off around 8a. We've been on cruises where this has taken an hour. Then the 1st color code/early flights are called, usually around 9a. If you are on a Princess bus, usually rolls out by 9:20-9:30a. Can anyone comment on this timeframe out of San Pedro?
We are not sure if we want to do self disembark or early flights on a Princess bus. The estimated time will determine what we choose. Do you know if the line of cabs outside the terminal will include VAN cabs? Thanks.....
There are only two slots for ships... so, there's usually not too much congestion. when we docked, we were off in about an hour and a half. I had called the Van service when we docked to reserve a shuttle home. It really didn't help. there are plenty of limos, cabs, and plenty of shuttle vans waiting to pick up passengers. Since we needed to go to Orange County, and the driver wanted a full van, we had to wait about 20 minutes before the driver would take off. After all that waiting, it wound up to be just the two of us, and I tipped him a bit more than usual.

Old September 18th, 2007, 04:20 AM
5,000+ Club

To the OP - maybe I am reading things wrong but we are on the 11/3 sailing and the next one is 11/18. Please check your dates.

Carnival's Carnivale 1980 Caribbean
RCCL Nordic Prince 1993 Alaska
Disney Wonder 1999 Caribbean
Celebrity Mercury 2003 Mexico
Carnivale Pride 2004 Mexico
Celebrity Mercury 2004 Mexico
Celebrity Infinity 2005 Hawaii
Diamond Princess 2006 Hawaii
Golden Princess 2008 Hawaii
Star Princess 2009 Mexico
Sea Princess 2010 Mexico
Golden Princess 2011 Hawaii
Grand Princess 2013 Alaska

Old September 18th, 2007, 12:31 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikjr View Post
There are only two slots for ships... so, there's usually not too much congestion.
There's actually space for 3, albeit a tight fit. 2 in the channel, and one in the notch parallel to the bridge.
http://www.portoflosangeles.org/imag...e_Aerial_2.jpg

We (Sapphire) were in the notch, with the P&O Artemis and the Island Princess in the channel. The stern of the Artemis was actually in front of the Sapphire, and she had to move ahead so we could get out.

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The
Rocks."

Fond Memories Of

Navigator Of The Seas - Western Caribbean - Jan 2011
Carnival Pride - Grand Turk and Bahamas - Twins First Cruise - Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Jan 2008
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada/New England - Sept 2001
Carnival Tropicale - Panama Canal - Jan 2001
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1999
Westerdam - Honeymoon -Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1995

Old September 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Disembarkation after Hawaii cruise

We took the two-week Hawaii cruise this last March. It was the first time we used "self-disembarkation" and it worked so well that we'll do it from now on. We had driven to the port, so we didn't have the issue of having to make it to LAX in time for a flight.

Like others have said, so much depends on so many different factors and on how many ships are in port. We got extraordinarily lucky in that we hauled our own luggage (I'll pack even lighter next time!) off the ship and were outside the embarkation/disembarkation building in 15 minutes (yes, that's fifteen minutes!), we were on the sidewalk by 8:20 a.m. Yes, there seemed to be plenty of cabs and frankly it was a pleasure not to have to jam into a huge bus to be taken to the airport, along with 40+ passengers and their 80+++ pieces of luggage. Loading and unloading those buses eats up time too.

Old September 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM
30,000+ Club

I've taken this cruise a couple of times plus a couple of times to the Mexican Riviera and IMHO, the best thing to do is get an early flight color, disembark without having to manage and haul your own luggage, carry-on, etc. down the escalator (while keeping up with the rushing tide of folks anxious to get off the ship; some creeps use the elevator which is intended for those in wheelchairs or otherwise handicapped, which delays them), and pre-book an airport van with either SuperShuttle or Primetime Shuttle. They both fill up quickly and leave right away for the airport. I was once very early getting off and had to wait for others to come for the van to fill. I've always booked flights after Noon because you never know what the traffic will be like on the 405 plus LAX check-in and security can take a long time. I'd MUCH rather get there early and relax rather than stress over making a flight. Some people crabbed about getting there early but that's the chance you take. I'd rather err on the side of having to wait -- a good book will always keep me occupied.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Last edited by Pam in CA; September 18th, 2007 at 01:44 PM.

Old September 18th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

<<some creeps use the elevator which is intended for those in wheelchairs or otherwise handicapped, which delays them>>

I've never seen Handicapped Only stickers on elevators. Sometimes people aren't visibly handicapped either. I have a friend who suffers dizzy spells, and while she looks perfectly able, she gets dizzy using "Down" escalators.

Old September 19th, 2007, 02:05 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiedin87 View Post
We took the two-week Hawaii cruise this last March. It was the first time we used "self-disembarkation" and it worked so well that we'll do it from now on. We had driven to the port, so we didn't have the issue of having to make it to LAX in time for a flight.

Like others have said, so much depends on so many different factors and on how many ships are in port. We got extraordinarily lucky in that we hauled our own luggage (I'll pack even lighter next time!) off the ship and were outside the embarkation/disembarkation building in 15 minutes (yes, that's fifteen minutes!), we were on the sidewalk by 8:20 a.m. Yes, there seemed to be plenty of cabs and frankly it was a pleasure not to have to jam into a huge bus to be taken to the airport, along with 40+ passengers and their 80+++ pieces of luggage. Loading and unloading those buses eats up time too.
Personally, we won't do self disembarkation just so we could get off the ship early when we drive in. I would rather let the passengers who have a flight to catch that morning get first priority in getting off the ship.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old September 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscats View Post
To the OP - maybe I am reading things wrong but we are on the 11/3 sailing and the next one is 11/18. Please check your dates.
Just what I was thinking! I am on the 11/18 sailing.

Old September 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 11/18

yes...our cruise is 11/18 and we fly into la 11/17

sounds like we will do "easy check out" for $15 pp to have Princess take our luggage & partner with Delta to get it to the airport. then we will do self-disembark & hope to be some of the 1st to get off the boat. will try to get a cab van (7 of us) or use 2 regular cabs....or we may do what someone suggested...call & reserve the shuttle service...the easy check out should eliminate the need to go to check in @ airport (since Princess will have printed the airline tickets thru the easy check out service"
& we will then go directly to security...we have a 12:45 flight so want to cut corners wherever possible.

any suggestions or comments would be appreciated,,,,thanks

Old September 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

the san pedro cruise yard can hold more than 3 ships. the time in questions there were 5 ships in port! (hence the massive delays) the sapphire, monarch of the seas, vision of the seas , a holand america ship and us! (we were on the Island) the Holand america ship had to actually move for us to get into the bert, it was a mess! With the holiday and all I would book a later flight! (as one poster said our traffic can be miserable that time of year. ) I will actually be arriving on the golden on 11/17 and I will have my driver meet me at about 1pm