Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:
Cotton balls, emory boards, Q-tips 384 27.79%
Handheld steamer 703 50.87%
Bathrooms with dual sinks 594 42.98%
Real plants 135 9.77%
In-cabin coffeemakers 700 50.65%
Aromatherapy steam showers 406 29.38%
Hair dryer menu 222 16.06%
Adjustable lighting with dimmers 763 55.21%
Key card storage shelf in entryway 527 38.13%
iPod docking station 339 24.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1382. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 21st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Product Development

Default What special touches do you want in your cabin?

It's a truism in the cruise industry that most ship designers are men. It's another fact that women are generally the primary decision makers when it comes to booking a vacation. So in an effort to build a ship that appeals to females, Celebrity -- which is building the highly anticipated new Solstice -- created an advisory panel of women to, er, help its male designers create a cabin that addresses female preferences (read our report for the details).

In the spirit of nurturing the feminine sides of all of us (guys, too), we want to know: If you were creating the cruise ship cabin (let's make it standard with a verandah), what essential features or design concepts would you most want? The above list was compiled by a group of four women at Cruise Critic; you can vote for as many (or few) of our picks as you want. Some of them are serious -- we mean business -- and others are pie-in-sky wish lists!

Please note: In a couple of cases, a suggestion is already available on a limited basis (such as in-cabin coffeemakers -- European lines often have them and, of the North American cruise lines, NCL is an early adopter). We still include them because good ideas should be spread around.

And please feel free to offer your own suggestions in this thread!

Last edited by LauraS; September 21st, 2007 at 12:59 PM.

Old September 21st, 2007, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

What a great post! I really think the key card holder and adjustible lighting are the big ones in my book!

Things like the ipod docking station and q-tips would be nice but not as high on my list.

I wasn't sure what a blow dryer menu was.

Old September 21st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is it too much to ask for a clock in the cabin? I never think that should be an 'extra special touch' for a cabin, but the only clock in the room is either on the phone or on the TV - not very easy to see......

NCL - (can't remember the ship) Western Caribbean - 1984
Holland American - Noordam - Alaska - June 1985
Carnival - (can't remember the ship) - Mexico - March 1986
RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - October 1992
Celebrity - Infinity - Hawaii Westbound - September 2003
Silverseas - Silver Wind - Central America - March 2004
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Panama Canal - October 2004
Princess - Diamond Princess - Mexico - February 2005
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Hawaii Eastbound - May 2005
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Alaska - August 2005
Celebrity - Infinity - Mexico - December 2005
RCCL - Voyager of the Seas - Transatlantic Eastbound - May 2006
Celebrity - Infinity - Panama Canal - October 2006
Celebrity - Infinity - Hawaii R/T - May 2007
Princess - Golden Princess - Alaska - August 2007
RCCL - Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - March 2008
RCCL - Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - July 2008
Princess - Saphire Princess - Mexico - October 2008
RCCL - Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - April 2009
Princess - Star Princess - Alaska - August 2009
RCCL - Radiance of the Seas - Mexico - November 2009
RCCL - Rhapsody of the Seas - Hawaii, Eastbound - April 2010
RCCL - Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - December 2010
Up Next:
Celebrity - Infinity - Alaska - May 2011
Celebrity - Equinox - Ultimate Caribbean - December 2011
Celebrity - Solstice - Alaska August 2012
Celebrity - Solstice - Mexico to Seattle - May 2013
Princess - Grand Princess - Mexico - March 2014

Old September 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
50,000+ Club

Definitely better lighting--I mean, low lights are great for setting a mood, but if I need to read something--I NEED LIGHT!!!!!!
Also, space! I like space! Start making the cabins a bit larger!

Old September 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
50,000+ Club

Many of the items that listed we have in our suites on HAL.

But it would be nice to have a handheld steamer supplied by the cruise line.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
5,000+ Club

I agree with a clock. I would also like to see more power outlets.

Ruby Princess 3/2014 - 5 Night Western -FLL, Cozumel & Grand Cayman-Balcony-Adults only
Norwegian Jewel 10/2013 - 7 Night Western -New Orleans, Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan & Costa Maya-Balcony-Adults only...25th Anniversary
Carnival Freedom 08/2013 - 6 Night Western -FLL, Key West, Grand Cayman & Jamaica-2 Connecting Balconies-Family + 1 BFF
Norwegian Epic 12/2011 - 7 Night Eastern-Miami, St. Martin, St. Thomas & Nassau-2 Insides-Family
Carnival Glory 07/2011 - 5 Night Canada-Manhattan, Halifax & Saint John-1 Balcony & 1 Inside-Family
Carnival Destiny 11/2010 -4 Night Western-Miami, Key West & Cozumel-2 Insides-Family
Carnival Glory 07/2010 - 5 Night Canada-CANCELLED DUE TO DEATH IN THE FAMILY DAY BEFORE CRUISE-Insurance Reimbursed
Carnival Freedom 7/2009-8 Night Eastern-FLL, San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua & Nassau-1 Inside-Family
Norwegian Jewel 11/2007-5 Night Western-Miami, Cozumel & Grand Cayman-1 Inside-Family
Carnival Elation 12/2006-5 Night Eastern-Port Canaveral, Nassau, Half Moon Cay & Grand Turk-1 Oceanview-Family
Carnival Inspiration 11/2005-5 Night Western-Tampa, Cozumel & Progresso-2 Insides & 1 Porthole-Family + Extended Family
Disney Magic 6/2004-7 Night Eastern-Port Canaveral, St. Thomas, St. Martin & Castaway Cay-2 Connecting Oceanviews-Family + Friends (Family of 4)
Disney Wonder 11/2001-3 Night Bahamas-Port Canaveral, Nassau & Castaway Cay+4 Night Disney World- 2 Connecting Insides-Family + Friends (Family of 4)

Old September 21st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I've never used a cotton ball in my life..

I think Gary Shandling did a whole monologue on this once.
Navigator Thanksgiving 2014 So nice we did it Twice! Oasis OTS Western C 6/14 (best cruise EVER!!) Navigator OTS Western C Thanksgiving 2013, Carnival Magic West 8/12, Celebrity Summit to Bermuda - May, 2010, Conquest III(The Search for Crackerjack)4/09C, ECSTASY B2B11/08, NCL Spirit-Central America 11/07, C Conquest II West C 1/07 - C Conquest 10/06 - West C, Voyager OTS 11/05 - Repo, NCL Star - Mex 3/05, Mariner OTS II - West C (The Wrath of Ivan) 9/04, Mariner OTS East C 1/04, Inspiration West C 4/03, C Pride East C 10/02, Century West C 1/02, Empress Bermuda 9/01, Victory Canada - 9/00, NCL Crown West C -4/97, C Jubilee Mex - 2/94

Old September 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wonder if the lack of clocks is because some cruises cross time zones? How would they make sure everyone had the correct time? Would it be the room steward's job to switch the clock?

Just think, if there was a clock in the room, and people didn't change the time, they would be blaming the cruiseline because they missed their shore excursion, dinner, shows, etc. I think that is why the cruiselines leave it up to you to check the time. They don't want to deal with the hassle unless it's say, on the TV where they can control the setting.

Just a thought, but I don't work for a cruiseline so I really don't know!

Old September 21st, 2007, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wish they had more 110 volt electrical outlets.

Old September 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default bathroom space

DH and I do not book suites, usually go for inside cabin. Lack of space in the bathrooms is a pet peeve. Some ships have no storage space, other than what the stewards use for storing towels. We need space to hang towels and to stow our non-hanging supplies. Even the corner cabinets with doors help. Doesn't have to be fancy, just available. And I did vote for the double sinks. I'd rather have that than a tub, thanks.

Sure hope the ship designers take some of the suggestions to heart. It's hard to be in cramped quarters for the longer cruises.

Thanks for gathering the opinions!

Alaska Ryndam 98 E. Caribbean Maasdam 01
Aust-NZ Statendam 06 Pan. Canal Zuiderdam 06
Hawaii & S. Pacific Ryndam 07
Hawaii
Regal Princess 07 W. Carib NCL Sun 07
S. Caribbean X Galaxy 08
TransAtlantic Rotterdam 08
Bahamas & FL
NCL Majesty 09
Galapagos Celebrity
Xpedition 09
Caribbean Noordam 10 W. Caribbean Ryndam 10
Bermuda NCL Dawn 11
E. Med
Nieuw Amsterdam 12
Canada and New England Maasdam 13

Old September 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieLnnn View Post
I wonder if the lack of clocks is because some cruises cross time zones? How would they make sure everyone had the correct time? Would it be the room steward's job to switch the clock?

Just think, if there was a clock in the room, and people didn't change the time, they would be blaming the cruiseline because they missed their shore excursion, dinner, shows, etc. I think that is why the cruiselines leave it up to you to check the time. They don't want to deal with the hassle unless it's say, on the TV where they can control the setting.

Just a thought, but I don't work for a cruiseline so I really don't know!
i was in a hotel and daylight savings started earlier this year, or ended later...whatever...the clock was wrong and i couldn't figure out how to change it....eventually it changed itself...there are some clocks and watches that are "smart"...maybe that is what they could have...

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Old September 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by megr1125 View Post
i was in a hotel and daylight savings started earlier this year, or ended later...whatever...the clock was wrong and i couldn't figure out how to change it....eventually it changed itself...there are some clocks and watches that are "smart"...maybe that is what they could have...

Funny, I used to travel a lot for business and youth soccer, and I always took my own travel clock. Why? Because I didn't want to have to worry about figuring out how the clock in the hotel room worked, or worry about setting it wrong and missing my wake-up time. I have one of those Oregon Scientific flat travel clocks that lights up when you push it. It costs like $10. I can't imagine why anyone who travels a lot would care about the cabin providing a clock.

Old September 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

I could not vote for most of the things because having never heard of them, I had no idea what they were. I would think a clock in every cabin would be a help and a laundry on every deck. It is hard to travel for a longer cruise and not be able to wash your clothes. Having to send things out with your room steward only adds unneeded cost to the trip, when if there were laundries on every floor, you could do it yourself. Plenty of storage is important to me for clothes, shoes etc. and little hooks in your cabin room to hang a clothes line that will be used for drying hand wash.
2000 Jan. Hal New Amssterdam full circle of the
Caribbean
2000 Oct. NCL Wind Transpacific Hawaii to Calif. and
back to back with the Mexican Rivera
2002 April NCL Sea Miami to NYC Caribbean and
Bermuda
2002 Sept. NCL Dream "Path of the Vikings"
Transatlantic-London to Boston
2003 May NCL Dawn Miami to NYC Southern
Caribbean and New England
2004 March NCL Crown Miami to Philadelphia
Caribbean and Bermuda
2005 Feb. Island Princess Hawaii Round trip from LA
2005 Nov. NCL Dawn Western Carribbean from NYC
2006 Nov Golden Princess Transatlantic
Rome to New Orleans
2007 Nov NCL Spirit NYC to New Orleans
2009 Aug. Pacific Princess 14 Days to Alaska

Last edited by cruzholic; September 21st, 2007 at 03:32 PM.

Old September 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by megr1125 View Post
there are some clocks and watches that are "smart"...maybe that is what they could have...
Except that might not work on a ship that does not change ship time to be the same as port time.

I know a lot of people get in trouble because they use their cell phones for clocks - and then when the ship sails into the new time zone, their cell phones change time, but the ship doesn't.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos)

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

More outlets, or just put a "built in" power strip in every cabin. I also didn't know what a hair dryer menu was (so I figured I wouldn't need that!)

Upcoming Cruises:

Western Caribbean -- Carnival Sunshine, November 2014

Some Past Cruise Adventures:

Pride of Hawaii, NCL, 2007 (Hawaii) -- MS Volendam, HAL, 2008 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Dawn, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Carnival Triumph, 2009 (Canada) -- Emerald Princess, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2011 (Western Caribbean) -- Celebrity Summit, 2011 (Bermuda Cruise Critic Member Cruise) -- Ruby Princess, 2012 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Sapphire Princess, 2012 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Sky, 2013 (Bahamas) -- Carnival Dream, 2013 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2014 (Western Caribbean)

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

A clock would be great! I would also use a steamer and a coffeemaker, but room service solves the coffee problem.

Royal Princess - Nov 2013
Caribbean Princess - Apr 2013
Royal Caribbean - Vision of the Seas - 10 day Caribbean - Nov 2012
Princess - Crown Princess - 7 day - Curacao/Aruba - Apr 2012
Royal Caribbean - Allure of the Seas - 7 day Labadee/Jamaica/Cozumel - Sept 2011
Princess - Caribbean Princess - 8 day repo NY to San Juan - Oct 2010
Royal Caribbean - Grandeur of the Seas - 5 day Grand Cayman/Cozumel - May 2010
Royal Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas - 4 day Key West/Cozumel - Sept 2009
Villa in St. Maarten with Cruise Critic Friends - Happy Bay - Apr 2009
Royal Caribbean - Vision of the Seas - 7 day Mexican Riviera - Nov 2008
Carnival - Sensation - 3 day Bahamas - Aug 2008
Princess - Crown Princess - 7 day Eastern Caribbean - Dec 2007
Royal Caribbean - Mariner of the Seas - 7 day Eastern Caribbean - July 2007

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
20,000+ Club

bigger showers, laundry rooms at least a few

I take my own clock, not sure i would use the coffee maker in the room we never do in a hotel.

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRBlizz View Post
Funny, I used to travel a lot for business and youth soccer, and I always took my own travel clock. Why? Because I didn't want to have to worry about figuring out how the clock in the hotel room worked, or worry about setting it wrong and missing my wake-up time. I have one of those Oregon Scientific flat travel clocks that lights up when you push it. It costs like $10. I can't imagine why anyone who travels a lot would care about the cabin providing a clock.

When I cruise, I do travel with a travel clock, however it would be nice to have a clock in the room as well. If I am traveling on land, I don't worry about bringing it, I can always figure out how the clock works. I can understand how the time change would make having a clock difficult, it would just be a nice thing, maybe have a screen saver on the TV that shows just the time, not to bright for the night, but enough so you can see it......

NCL - (can't remember the ship) Western Caribbean - 1984
Holland American - Noordam - Alaska - June 1985
Carnival - (can't remember the ship) - Mexico - March 1986
RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - October 1992
Celebrity - Infinity - Hawaii Westbound - September 2003
Silverseas - Silver Wind - Central America - March 2004
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Panama Canal - October 2004
Princess - Diamond Princess - Mexico - February 2005
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Hawaii Eastbound - May 2005
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Alaska - August 2005
Celebrity - Infinity - Mexico - December 2005
RCCL - Voyager of the Seas - Transatlantic Eastbound - May 2006
Celebrity - Infinity - Panama Canal - October 2006
Celebrity - Infinity - Hawaii R/T - May 2007
Princess - Golden Princess - Alaska - August 2007
RCCL - Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - March 2008
RCCL - Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - July 2008
Princess - Saphire Princess - Mexico - October 2008
RCCL - Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - April 2009
Princess - Star Princess - Alaska - August 2009
RCCL - Radiance of the Seas - Mexico - November 2009
RCCL - Rhapsody of the Seas - Hawaii, Eastbound - April 2010
RCCL - Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - December 2010
Up Next:
Celebrity - Infinity - Alaska - May 2011
Celebrity - Equinox - Ultimate Caribbean - December 2011
Celebrity - Solstice - Alaska August 2012
Celebrity - Solstice - Mexico to Seattle - May 2013
Princess - Grand Princess - Mexico - March 2014

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa@cruisecritic View Post
It's a truism in the cruise industry that most ship designers are men. It's another fact that women are generally the primary decision makers when it comes to booking a vacation. So in an effort to build a ship that appeals to females, Celebrity -- which is building the highly anticipated new Solstice -- created an advisory panel of women to, er, help its male designers create a cabin that addresses female preferences (read our report for the details).

In the spirit of nurturing the feminine sides of all of us (guys, too), we want to know: If you were creating the cruise ship cabin (let's make it standard with a verandah), what essential features or design concepts would you most want? The above list was compiled by a group of four women at Cruise Critic; you can vote for as many (or few) of our picks as you want. Some of them are serious -- we mean business -- and others are pie-in-sky wish lists!

Please note: In a couple of cases, a suggestion is already available on a limited basis (such as in-cabin coffeemakers -- European lines often have them and, of the North American cruise lines, NCL is an early adopter). We still include them because good ideas should be spread around.

And please feel free to offer your own suggestions in this thread!
I just watched the end of a show about the making of the Freedom of the Seas and the designer was a women.
'03 Disney Magic
'05 Golden Princess
'07 Carnival Liberty
'08,Crown Princess
'09, B2B on the Carnival Freedom
'11, Carnival Liberty
'14, 15 day Hawaii on the CCL Miracle
'16 10 day, Triumph
Is there anything better than cruising? I doubt it
It's only funny till someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious.
There's no working during drinking hours!

Cruisinbuddy's title

Unofficial Bucket of Beer Drinker
Cruisinbuddy's DW's title

Unofficial Bucket of Beer Counter for Cruisinbuddy

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Room divider curtains (like Royal Caribbean has now) that are made of opaque blackout fabric, with separately controllable ceiling lights on either side of the divider curtain.