Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old September 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Spirit 9/22 - Looking for others who left the ship

My wife and I left the Spirit as a result of the "threat to the Ship" and the lack of any additional information being provided. I am looking for others who also left to see why you left and if you plan to seek a refund or credit.

I know there are many people who stayed on board and had a good time. There are also many who were not on the cruise but have provided their opinions on what we should have done and what NCL should do. This thread is not meant to rehash those subjects. I am just looking to see if others felt the way my wife and I did.

Thanks

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wasnt on the ship but I certainly would have made the same choice as you.
I think leaving the ship is your right since safety was threatened, IMO,
I think NCL should give a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caravellov View Post
My wife and I left the Spirit as a result of the "threat to the Ship" and the lack of any additional information being provided. I am looking for others who also left to see why you left and if you plan to seek a refund or credit.

I know there are many people who stayed on board and had a good time. There are also many who were not on the cruise but have provided their opinions on what we should have done and what NCL should do. This thread is not meant to rehash those subjects. I am just looking to see if others felt the way my wife and I did.

Thanks

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the ship w/ a group of 7 ... 3 of us left ... 4 stayed on. If you call NCL, they will tell you that nothing is being provided to those who disembarked. However, you may still write a letter and fax to 305-436-4108 (Attn: Customer Relations Dept). If you feel so inclined ... you should do so, but you could also contact your TA and see if they can help you as well.

Last edited by chiapet; September 25th, 2007 at 02:38 PM.

Old September 25th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

My friend who stayed was told by a worker that only 100+ people left. That seems to be a small amount. Anyone know the count?

RCCL - Grandeur 12/05 - 5 nighter ( Tampa )
NCL - Dawn - 5/06, 5/07 - 1 nighter ( NYC )
DCL - Magic - 8/06 - 7 nighter ( Port Can. )
CCL - Century - 12/06 - 4 nighter ( Miami )
NCL - Spirit - 4/07 - 8 nighter ( NYC )
NCL - Spirit - 6/07, 9/07, 10/07, 10/07, 9/08
1 nighter ( NYC )
DCL - Wonder - 8/07 - 3&4 nighter (Port Can. )
NCL - Gem - 3/08 - 7 nighter ( NYC )
DCL - Magic - 12/08 - 7 nighter ( Port Can.)
NCL - Gem - 1/09 - 1 nighter ( NYC )
C - Triumph - 6/09 - 4 nighter ( NYC )
NCL - Dawn - 6/09 - 7 nighter ( NYC )
RCCL - Enchantment - 9/09 - 5 nighter ( FLL )
NCL - Sky - 11/10 - 3 nighter (Miami)
NCL - Gem - 5/12 - 7 nighter (NYC)
C - Glory - 8/12 - 4 nighter (NYC)
NCL - Jewel - 3/13 - 7 nighter (NYC)
C - Glory - 6/13 - 5 nighter (Boston)
DCL - Fantasy - 8/13 - 7 nighter (Port Can.)
C - Sensation - 4/14 - 4 nighter (Port Can.)

Old September 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_t_gus View Post
My friend who stayed was told by a worker that only 100+ people left. That seems to be a small amount. Anyone know the count?
We were told ~135 ...

Old September 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutJMV View Post
I wasnt on the ship but I certainly would have made the same choice as you.
I think leaving the ship is your right since safety was threatened, IMO,
I think NCL should give a refund.

Not NCL's fault. Why should they bear the cost because someone phoned in a phony bomb threat? You certainly have the right to leave, and that choice is personal, but there is no way, IMO, that you should have the right to a refund. You paid for a service which NCL provided. And they did indeed provide said service. Should you be out the money? Maybe not, but neither should NCL.

Old September 25th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Did you take out any trip insurance for your cruise from an outside insurance agency (something other than insurance through NCL)? If so, you might be able to get some compensation from the insurance company (depending on how the policy was worded).

Debjo

NEXT UP:

PREVIOUSLY ENJOYED...
June 2013 HAL VEENDAM Aft Corner "Balcony" on St. Lawrence to Canadian Maritimes via Quebec to Boston DWTS Cruise
October 2012 NORWEGIAN DAWN Canada/New England...HAD TO CANCEL
May 2012 C.I.E. LAND TOUR Southern Ireland R.T. Shannon, Co. Kerry, Dublin
November 2011 CROWN PRINCESS-Aft Corner "Balcony" to Southern Caribbean (Aruba & Curacao) for Cousin's 10th Anniversary (plus our Friends)
November 2010 SAPPHIRE PRINCESS-Back to "Mini-Suite" for Mexican Riviera & friend's 50th B'day with pre-cruise stay on the QUEEN MARY SHIP HOTEL in Long Beach, CA
September 2009 NORWEGIAN SPIRIT-Repeat the "Suite" Life to our beloved Bermuda (Dockyard) & friend
May 2008 NORWEGIAN SPIRIT-"Suite" Life to East Caribbean (San Juan-Tortola-Samana) & friend
May 2007 SUN PRINCESS-"Mini-Suite" for our 30th Anniversary Cruise to Alaska (Ketchikan-Juneau-Skagway)
October 2006 HAL WESTERDAM-"Suite" Life To East Caribbean (Grand Turk-Tortola-St. Maarten-Half Moon Cay) For My 50th B'day with family/friends
April 2005 NORWEGIAN DAWN-"Balcony" to Florida/Bahamas-went back again for DH's 50th
May 2004 NORWEGIAN MAJESTY-"Oceanview" to Bermuda with DH family & our friends
April 2004 NORWEGIAN DAWN-"Balcony" to Florida/Bahamas with friends (Replaced cancelled "NORWAY" cruise)
May 2003 QE2-"Two Port Holes" (Caronia Class) to Bermuda with friends
July 2002 PACIFIC PRINCESS-"Oceanview Mini-Suite" to Bermuda and Renewed Our 25th Anniversary Vows
July 2001 REGAL EMPRESS-"Balcony" to New England/Canada Anniversary Cruise to test the waters!

Old September 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

so what exactly happened im wondering ? the ship was threatened and then you were told you have a choice to get off ?

how far into the cruise was it ? and how long of a cruise were you on ?

im just wondering ...

gosh im glad everything was ok

melissa
Norweigan star- 8 day mexico 11/14/06
Celebrity Infinity- 14 day Hawaii 4/8/07
Carnival Pride-7 day mexico 2/24/08
Dawn Princess- 10 day alaska 8/5/08
Holland America Ryndam 10 day Mexico 4/4/09
RCCL-Mariner of the Seas 7 day Caribbean2/26/12

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by melika091900 View Post
so what exactly happened im wondering ? the ship was threatened and then you were told you have a choice to get off ?

how far into the cruise was it ? and how long of a cruise were you on ?

im just wondering ...

gosh im glad everything was ok

melissa
CTN..ship had not left port. A ONE nighter.

Old September 26th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

The way I look at it is this... If there was a call or "threat" of a bomb, then there was no bomb. I don't remember any group or person who has ever "bombed" something to call ahead and warn people there was a bomb.. I always look at it that way. If there is a call warning of a bomb, then there is no bomb.. I would have stayed on.

CCL Triumph 2002 (Balcony Cabin)
RCCL Nordic Empress 2003 (Balcony Cabin)
NCL Dawn 2004 (AFT AD Suite)
NCL Dawn 2005 (AFT AD Suite)
NCL Spirit 2006 (AFT AA Owners Suite)
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2007 (Aft Balcony Suite)
NCL Dawn June 2008 (AFT AD Suite)
CCL Victory August 2008 (Aft 9A Balcony)
Princess Cruises Coral Princess Alaska Cruise/Tour 6/15/2009 (Mini-Suite)
CCL Pride 10/4 Balcony stateroom
7/4/2010 Celebrity Solstice
10/16/2010 NCL Epic
Up-coming Celebrity Summit to Bermuda 6/2011

Old September 26th, 2007, 06:30 AM
5,000+ Club

We stayed on as did almost everyone else. We were told 100+ left the ship.

1 announcement was made that we were "under threat" and 3 more stated that the investigation was finished and that it was a false threat. People were given an option to leave if they wanted and there was plenty of time to do so.

Each of us had to make the decision that was right for us.

Old September 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I Stayed On

I stayed on with my two daughters ... not given the choice. We were outdoors where no announcements were heard due to the loud music. We dined at the Japanese restaurant (Tempanayki ... sp?) and were not privy to any announcements there either. We got up several times during our meal to go in the lobby to find out what was going on. It wasn't until we saw the police cars and squads until we realized that something was wrong. I wasn't aware of how stressed I was until I woke up the next morning (didn't sleep all night thinking something might happen) with a severe migraine (no I did not drink). As for any sort of compensation ... mixed feelings. I did experience a "normal" delay once on a major airline ... two hours ... and each passenger was given a nominal credit for "inconvenience" to be applied to a future flight.

Old September 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Every one had to make the decision that was right for them. To those of you who stayed on, I'm glad you had a good time. Our friends also stayed on. We decided to get off since we had two children who stayed home and we knew they would be nervous if we stayed. They did see it on the news and were glad we got off. My other concer was that announcements were not being made throughout the entire ship. BARB said she heard 3 more announcements. We were in Cagney's and did not hear any. Were they making announcements to only select locations or did they have a problem with the PA system? Noone could give me an answer as to why we did not get any announcements in Cagney's. This left me with an uneasy feeling. Like I said, everyone had to make the decision that was right for them. But that decision could only be made by the passengers who were on the ship at that time. It's easy to state what you would do while sitting in front of a computer screen.

Old September 26th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

why didn't you just wait in the pier until the 'all clear' was given then gotten back on?
Jason (ds13)

Carnival Triumph 6-9-07
Norwegian Jewel 11-15-07
Norwegian Sun 4-5-08
Norwegian Sky 11-21-08
MSC Lirica New Years Cruise 12-27-08
Carnival Triumph 3-28-09
Norwegian Sky 11-6-09
Carnival Freedom 6-5-10
Carnival Valor 10-3-10
Carnival Freedom 6-4-11
Carnival Freedom 11-5-11 Anniversary cruise! 11 years on 11-11-11!
Norwegian Star 6-10-12
Carnival Liberty 11-3-12
Carnival Breeze 10-12-13

Old September 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowie View Post
why didn't you just wait in the pier until the 'all clear' was given then gotten back on?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that although, passengers were allowed to debark the ship, they were also told that they would NOT be allowed back onto the ship if they chose to do so.

NCL Norway - 1991 ? E.Caribbean *** NCL Dreamward - 10/96 (honeymoon) Bermuda *** HAL Zaandam - 10/03 E.Caribbean ***Canival Victory - 6/04 Canada *** NCL Dawn - 4/1/07 11 night Southern Caribbean *** NCL Crown - 10/21/07 Bermuda *** NCL Pearl - 4/12/09 7 day W.Caribbean *** Disney Magic - 8/29/09 7 day E.Caribbean
Celebrity Equinox - 7/2/12 11 night E.Mediterranean

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc500 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that although, passengers were allowed to debark the ship, they were also told that they would NOT be allowed back onto the ship if they chose to do so.

You are correct. It was leave or stay, no other choice.

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Every one had to make the decision that was right for them. To those of you who stayed on, I'm glad you had a good time. Our friends also stayed on. We decided to get off since we had two children who stayed home and we knew they would be nervous if we stayed. They did see it on the news and were glad we got off. My other concer was that announcements were not being made throughout the entire ship. BARB said she heard 3 more announcements. We were in Cagney's and did not hear any. Were they making announcements to only select locations or did they have a problem with the PA system? Noone could give me an answer as to why we did not get any announcements in Cagney's. This left me with an uneasy feeling. Like I said, everyone had to make the decision that was right for them. But that decision could only be made by the passengers who were on the ship at that time. It's easy to state what you would do while sitting in front of a computer screen.
Vinny I am sorry that this bomb scare happened on your cruise. I am going this Saturday and looking forward to it as my son is going to surprise his girlfriend with an engagement ring. Hopefully, we have a smooth sail.

I myself might have gotten off but my DH said He would have stayed. He can talk since he was not there.LoL... I do not blame you for your decision to leave as everyone has to make that their personal choice. It would not hurt NCL to compensate a little, but I very much doubt they will give a full refund. Let me know if you hear from NCL.
Janet

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:50 PM
20,000+ Club

Originally Posted by smeyer418
[i]I would expect nothing back but I also not sure I would have remained. Given what has happened in the past, I probably would have gotten off until they cleared it and then got back on. posted 9/23

when I first posted this a number of days ago, I assumed that the offer to leave was made before the ship was cleared by the powers that are. It now appears that the offer was made after the ship had been cleared so in essence it was all shore that are going ashore, made after the ship was cleared. I would have stayed on at that point, and if I voluntarily decided to get off at that point, I would expect nothing back, I might hope for it, but not expect it.

I actually don't understand the point of this thread. If I decided to get off why would I be looking for others who decided to leave to unless what I really want is my money back....

Quote:

I IT WASN'T AN ISSUE OF MONEY OR WHAT WILL NCL DO FOR ME. It was what was in the best interest of my family.
it either is or isn't

Last edited by smeyer418; September 26th, 2007 at 03:05 PM.

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
20,000+ Club

Red face

Quote:

Thanks
From your posting last weekend I was under the understanding you intended on seeking a refund on Monday, what happened? You know, maybe it would be nice if NCL gave you a small OBC for another sailing, and yes, I am sure you were confused and not very happy, but 2 thinks to remember: had the word "bomb" been used think of the panic it clould have caused and 2-you left volunteerily. I can't understand how you could expect a refund. This is just my opinion. I am not judging your decision to leave, I wasn't there and don't know what I would have done (I probably would have stayed on board) but I don't think a refund would have entered my mind.

Sid, I think I see 2 reasons for the thread: 1-to see if he can get support for taking futher action and 2-to stir the stew up one more time. This was discussed as we all know in detail early in the week.

Nita
Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000,HAL 2001, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004, NCL 2005, Celebrity 2005.NCL 2006, Celebrity 2006, HAL 2006, NCL 2007.Princess, 2008. NCL 2008, RCI 2008,Princess 2009, NCL 2009. NCL 2010, NCL 2011, Princess 2011, NCL 2012, NCL 2013, NCL again 2013

Last edited by newmexicoNita; September 26th, 2007 at 03:02 PM.

Old September 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexicoNita View Post

Sid, I think I see 2 reasons for the thread: 1-to see if he can get support for taking futher action and 2-to stir the stew up one more time. This was discussed as we all know in detail early in the week.

Nita
no duh