Tours in Jamiaca

snhert

We will be in Jaimica and want to do Dunn's River Falls and the river tubing there are 6 in our party. Who is the best company and least expensive to go with? Has anyone heard of Karandas Tours?

We went with Marva Shaw in June and loved her. She is very good about explaining everything and we felt she was very reasonable. Here's a picture of us with her. Her website is knowjamaica.com.

139343024_MarvaShaw.jpg.3bade60b3b424fea0690124abd050279.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi check www.bamboobeachclub.com . We took the this tour with the Dunn's River Fall combination and had the best time. It was all inclusive, including food, drinks, entertainment and transportation and we booked it through the ship. I think they only sell it on Carnival and Princess, but if you're not sailing on those ships I'm sure you can book it on line.

we just returned from 10/07 cruise on liberty. we used mark morris for our tour in jamaica and i cant say enough about his tour. we had emailed back and forth and we were requesting dunns river falls, river tubing and some shopping. we agreed on $50 per person for about a 4 hrs tour. let me tell you what we got for $50.... he personally picked us up at the ship at 0830. we went to dunns river falls and then on to river tubing. we then did a car tour (air conditioned and new, van.) some one in our party wanted to try jerk, so he took us to a local resturant. then on to some shopping. he returned us to the boat at 3pm and did not charge us a penny more. he gave us wonderful history of the island and answered all our questions. he loves his island and is anxious for you to love it too!!!:) we have been on 14 carnival cruises and i must say that mark had the best tour i have ever been on. he was totally awesome and i would highly recommend him!!! you can email him at marcogm1@yahoo.com. tell him buggsie sent you.

we just returned from 10/07 cruise on liberty. we used mark morris for our tour in jamaica and i cant say enough about his tour. we had emailed back and forth and we were requesting dunns river falls, river tubing and some shopping. we agreed on $50 per person for about a 4 hrs tour. let me tell you what we got for $50.... he personally picked us up at the ship at 0830. we went to dunns river falls and then on to river tubing. we then did a car tour (air conditioned and new, van.) some one in our party wanted to try jerk, so he took us to a local resturant. then on to some shopping. he returned us to the boat at 3pm and did not charge us a penny more. he gave us wonderful history of the island and answered all our questions. he loves his island and is anxious for you to love it too!!!:) we have been on 14 carnival cruises and i must say that mark had the best tour i have ever been on. he was totally awesome and i would highly recommend him!!! you can email him at marcogm1@yahoo.com. tell him buggsie sent you.

Can anyone tell me pros and cons of using trip sponsored excursions vs. private ones on the island? I am going to be in Ocho Rios from a Royal Carribbean Enchantment of the Seas cruise on Nov 12th and haven't booked my excursion yet. I want to do Dunns River Falls, tubing and possibly go to a beach for a bit.

Am I safer to book through the cruiseline? Do I have to pre-pay with the other companies that are discussed in this thread? I am going with my girlfriend, both in our 20's and want to have some fun on the excursions.

Thanks so much for the review.. we have Mark booked for our Jan 08 cruise and can't wait. :D

Can anyone tell me pros and cons of using trip sponsored excursions vs. private ones on the island? I am going to be in Ocho Rios from a Royal Carribbean Enchantment of the Seas cruise on Nov 12th and haven't booked my excursion yet. I want to do Dunns River Falls, tubing and possibly go to a beach for a bit.

Am I safer to book through the cruiseline? Do I have to pre-pay with the other companies that are discussed in this thread? I am going with my girlfriend, both in our 20's and want to have some fun on the excursions.

Pros Price!!! Cons really haven't heard of any.. except that if you do not use a reputable company you may end up missing the ship.. altho I have not heard of that here. All these people or companies recommended have been used by CC members. I would search around the various people mentioned and decide what best suits your needs..

We are using Mark Morris.. we don't want to do the cave tubing so we are opting for the falls and a tour of Ocho Rios .. here is his website.. http://markstours.com/tours.html

Mark doesnt ask for a deposit you pay when you get there. As mentioned earlier you maybe able to customize your tour with him.. Have a great time with whatever you decide :)

We will be in Jaimica and want to do Dunn's River Falls and the river tubing there are 6 in our party. Who is the best company and least expensive to go with? Has anyone heard of Karandas Tours?

I just got off Carnival Victory yesterday, and my DH and I did DRF and river tubing with Mark Morris (Mark's tours) last Friday. It was *awesome*. Everything was arranged through email before we left, Mark met us at the pier, and we got to Dunn's River Falls before the cruise ship crowd got there. It is so beautiful. After the Falls, we went tubing. Mark met us at the end and gave us some sugar cane to taste, and showed us the ackee fruit and allspice leaves. We toured the island for a while, going through Fern Gully and the shopping district, and up to a lookout point high over the bay where our cruise ship was docked (I think the area was called Shaw Park Gardens). He was willing to take us anywhere we wanted to go, and told us lots of information about his island. When we had seen all we wanted to see (about 5 hours), he dropped us right back at the pier. He was wonderful and I can't recommend him highly enough. One thing I really liked about him - he was very easy to understand. He speaks very clearly and distinctly, and I was having some trouble with the accents of just about everybody else, but Mark spoke very clearly. And it was only $55 per person.

Well, we just returned from Jamaica on the Carnival Conquest, and I have got to say, I was very skeptical about going anywhere in Jamaica from what I had heard and read. However, I decided that I did not want to waste a day in a beautiful island setting, and contacted Trevor Hudlin prior to leaving home. I am SOOOOO glad that I did. I could not ever say in words what a wonderful time we had! He was very reasonable, and gives different type of island tours, including the one you want. He works out of both Ochos Rios and MoBay, and he went way over and above just a tour guide! He was funny, entertaining, informative, and just went out of his way to accomodate all 12 of us! It was, by far, the best excursion on the entire cruise! Please contact Trevor, and tell him that I recommended him........ cooltrevh@yahoo.com

Just returned from Princess Grand Nov 3 - 10 and used Marva Shaw for the tour in Ocho Rios. Would recommend her. She arranged for a separate driver as her son's van had already left the port. He took us to Dunns River (we climbed it) then water tubing on the white river, Fern Gulley and returned via Spice Mountain. The price also included entrance to Dunns River and water tubing. We were with him about 41/2 hrs. She is also very timely with her email responses.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to throw Phil Lafayette's name out there. He, too, has wonderful tours. We went with him last year and had a fabulous day. There were only 6 of us in his van and he was very accomodating.

Dunn River falls, tubing the White river, tour and drive to Fern Gulley, and a shopping stop. We were able to avoid the crowds and spend time with a man who loves his country and his guests! I highly recommend Phil.

Try Bamboo Beach Club www.bamboobeachclub.com . We did the Jamaican Nature Adventure and the Beach Club tour and had a great time. We noticed that on their website they also offer White River Tubing. They were very reliable, friendly and fun and we'll definitely use them again the next time we're in Jamaica.

Just got off the Enchantment of the Seas yesterday and want to recommend Trevor Hudlin. We booked him to take us up to Mayfield Falls and he did a great job. He does not (to my knowledge) do tours out of Kingston, onlt Montegi Bat and Ocho Rios.

Very personable and funny, he shares his vast knowledge of Jamaica in a very entertaining fashion. My family had a VERY enjoyable day with him.

As an aside, you should consider Mayfield Falls vice Dunn's. Much less crowded and natural. It is a bit of a ride up into th mountains but you get to see the real Jamaica on the way and the Mayfield River and falls are beautiful.

We just got off the Grand Princess on Saturday. We used MArk Morris for a group of 5. He was excellent and I would defintely recommend him. We did the falls, he walked us all the way down to the guides and suggested ways to avoid the local merchants. Then waited outside until we were finished. Then we toured the area and the fern gully area. He was extremely knowledgable about the area and the country and was very fluent in English. He stopped and got us sugarcane and coconut to try. He then took us to the shopping area and parked and waited for us to return. We then asked for a good restraunt to try some "real" jerk chicken. He took us around the corner to a very nice clean and friendly restraunt to eat. Again he waited. We asked him to join us, he obliged. Then he asked is there was anything else we wanted to see. We said no, he took us to the peir and dropped us off. He was enlightening, entertaining, and courteous. Jamaica was beautiful and safe. He is the sole owner and operator for his company with a reputation to uphold. He will treat you well. He responded to my emails within an hour or two. His van was clean and air conditioned.

Mark Morris is the only way to see Jamaica! By the way, we traveled with 4 adults and one 4 year old. Hope this helps!

just to add another name to the list...

We used Barrett adventures, and had a great experience. Arrangements were easy, and we could customize a tour to fit our specific interests (we went way off the beaten track to a place called Cranbrook Flower farm to hike and swim in a lovely rainforest stream/waterfall, and then had a great lunch of jerk and curry at a roadside restaurant, followed by a relaxing driving tour of the ocho area).

He was wonderful and I can't recommend him highly enough. He speaks very clearly and distinctly, but ask him to speak the Jamaican patois and that will roll right off his tongue too! The time with him went by way to quickly. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

My family and I just returned from a cruise to the Panama Canal on the Coral Princess, with one of the highlights being Mark's Tours in Ocho Rios.

Mark is wonderful and funny and he pays great attention to particular needs. One of us is elderly had trouble walking and Mark made sure she saw everything and did everything (including tubing) the rest of us did. Mark is full of information, funny and cares about what he does.

He was enlightening, entertaining, and courteous. He is a sole owner and operator for his company with a reputation to uphold and did so, very well.

He responded to my emails within an hour or two. His van was clean and air conditioned.

Archived