Is there really a morgue on the ship?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:59 PM.
#1
Long Island NY
622 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
I heard that all ships have a morgue. Is this true? Not to be morbid at all, but I also heard that they take out the meat from the freezer and put the body in it Don't take this the wrong way, just curious!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America 1982 1985 2005
Carnival 1999
RCCL 2004,2005, 2007
NCL 1999 2006 2007 (upcoming Jan 2008)

Happy sailing! Pat
#2
Washington, DC suburbs
342 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Don't know about the use of the meat locker but, yes, the cruise lines frequently have to handle the remains of passengers who have died. (I would think that health regulations wouldn't allow the passenger's body to be stored in the kitchens). I read recently that during one world cruise, 14 passengers died during the voyage -- primarily because it is usually only retired (or very weathy) folks who have that much time and because people who know they won't be around much longer because of illness decide to take the voyage they have always been putting off for "someday." It is a lesson to us all that we live life to the fullest, now. I may sound morbid, but yesterday just went to the funeral of a friend who died far too young.

Go and have fun and don't worry about ending up in the meat locker.
#3
81,040 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Yes. There is a place for bodies on every ship. We've had a chance to tour the 'below decks' area on a few ships and it is quite amazing what is down below. The staging area for luggage, the separate refrigeration room for meat which must be kept separate from chicken which must be kept separate from fish. The storage of all the fruit and veggies. The storage for non-perishables. If you ever have the chance to see all this, jump at the chance. It is so interesting.

BTW.....there is also a Brig!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
#4
London, Canada
7,533 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
That's what we were told on the Grand in 99. The cruise we were on was very early in the Caribbean season. One of the asst. cruise directors that we were having drinks with one night was telling us about the "behind the scenes" areas. She said they had 2 people die on the crossing a few weeks earlier, and she also mentioned the brig.

That must have been very interesting to tour those areas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dan

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The
Rocks."



Fond Memories Of

Carnival Dream - Western Caribbean - Jan 2013
Navigator Of The Seas - Western Caribbean - Jan 2011
Carnival Pride - Grand Turk and Bahamas - Twins First Cruise - Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Jan 2008
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada/New England - Sept 2001
Carnival Tropicale - Panama Canal - Jan 2001
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1999
Westerdam - Honeymoon -Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1995
#5
midamerica
203 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by wilson9112
I heard that all ships have a morgue. Is this true? Not to be morbid at all, but I also heard that they take out the meat from the freezer and put the body in it Don't take this the wrong way, just curious!

Health laws would not allow food that is consumable with a corpse or any biological waste. Now a seperate area in the meat locker with a door that could be possible but not just an open area with the hot dogs and porterhouses.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCL Estasy---Janurary 2008

#6
Long Island NY
622 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by okbookgirl
Health laws would not allow food that is consumable with a corpse or any biological waste. Now a seperate area in the meat locker with a door that could be possible but not just an open area with the hot dogs and porterhouses.

LOL, I figured that couldn't be true!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America 1982 1985 2005
Carnival 1999
RCCL 2004,2005, 2007
NCL 1999 2006 2007 (upcoming Jan 2008)

Happy sailing! Pat
#7
Long Island NY
622 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by sail7seas
Yes. There is a place for bodies on every ship. We've had a chance to tour the 'below decks' area on a few ships and it is quite amazing what is down below. The staging area for luggage, the separate refrigeration room for meat which must be kept separate from chicken which must be kept separate from fish. The storage of all the fruit and veggies. The storage for non-perishables. If you ever have the chance to see all this, jump at the chance. It is so interesting.

BTW.....there is also a Brig!
Wow, I would love to see that. Hope I get to go on a tour too
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America 1982 1985 2005
Carnival 1999
RCCL 2004,2005, 2007
NCL 1999 2006 2007 (upcoming Jan 2008)

Happy sailing! Pat
#8
ft. lauderdale, fl
8 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Back in the mid-90's, I was the on-board florist aboard several Holland America ships during lengthy deployments--World Cruise, Europe season (6+ months). I would receive very large shipments of flowers from the Aalsmeer auction in Holland every 7-10 days, and of course needed substantial, reliable cold storage for my inventory. Well, the 3 drawer morgue fit the bill well, except for those rare occasions when I would show up at my 'shop' and be warned off by a note from the F & B mgr to not open the refrigerator, as we had to move the flowers to accomodate a 'lodger'.
#9
London, Canada
7,533 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
I think the body in the meat locker rumour might be a navy story, not a cruise ship story.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dan

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The
Rocks."



Fond Memories Of

Carnival Dream - Western Caribbean - Jan 2013
Navigator Of The Seas - Western Caribbean - Jan 2011
Carnival Pride - Grand Turk and Bahamas - Twins First Cruise - Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Jan 2008
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada/New England - Sept 2001
Carnival Tropicale - Panama Canal - Jan 2001
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1999
Westerdam - Honeymoon -Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1995
#10
Miami FL
1,767 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by sail7seas
Yes. There is a place for bodies on every ship. We've had a chance to tour the 'below decks' area on a few ships and it is quite amazing what is down below. The staging area for luggage, the separate refrigeration room for meat which must be kept separate from chicken which must be kept separate from fish. The storage of all the fruit and veggies. The storage for non-perishables. If you ever have the chance to see all this, jump at the chance. It is so interesting.

BTW.....there is also a Brig!

Also, the grey water area and the black water area; and the separate places for different types of refuse -- some very smelly, some not as bad. Fascinating; the things we don't think about while we're enjoying life on the upper decks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next: Carnival Glory in 2017
Danube River on Select Explorer 2016
Norwegian Sun 2016 (Alaska)
Celebrity Constellation again in 2015
Celebrity Constellation 2015 (Dalmatian Coast)
MSC Divina again in 2014
MSC Divina 2014
Carnival Victory 2013
Celebrity Equinox 2012 (Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2011
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Valor 2009
Carnival Destiny 2008
Diamond Princess 2008 (Hawaii)
Carnival Miracle 2008
Carnival Valor 2007
Queen Mary 2 2006
Enchantment of the Seas 2006
Carnival Triumph 2006
Carnival Imagination 2005
Empress of the Seas 2004 (Bermuda)
Majesty of the Seas 2004
Dawn Princess 2003
QE2 2002 (Transatlantic)
Royal Princess 2002 (Transatlantic)
Carnival Fascination 2002
HAL Maasdam 2001
Carnival Jubilee 1999
HAL Statendam 1996
VeraCruz 1983
Angelina Lauro 1975
#11
Honolulu, HI
1,695 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Check out this recent article from our local paper, paying attention to the next to last paragraph: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...214680735.html

Also, check out this discussion on the Celebrity forum:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=653907

In post #20 they talk about how you wouldn't want to freeze the body, only keep it chilled.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Old Dog Busy Learning New Tricks

Email Link

Our first cruise was on the Norwegian Pearl 6/24/2007
It was smashing!
#12
Long Island NY
622 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by odblnt
Check out this recent article from our local paper, paying attention to the next to last paragraph: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...214680735.html

Also, check out this discussion on the Celebrity forum:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=653907

In post #20 they talk about how you wouldn't want to freeze the body, only keep it chilled.
Thanks for the post. I didnt know if anyone heard of this and now I know Im not the only one. Kind of creepy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America 1982 1985 2005
Carnival 1999
RCCL 2004,2005, 2007
NCL 1999 2006 2007 (upcoming Jan 2008)

Happy sailing! Pat
#14
Westbrook, Maine
4 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I for one know all too well that there are morgues on ships. Back in May of 1993, on the first and only cruise my parents ever took together, my dad passed away. Unfortunately it was only the 3rd day of a 12-day cruise onboard the Queen Elizabeth 2. As they came into port in Barbados, apparently the ship had to report how many live bodies and how many corpses they had. When it was discovered that there was a corpse on board, Barbados authorities came onto the ship and took his body off. No one explained to my mom what was going on, and Cunard was not the slightest bit apologetic, sympathetic, or helpful. She spent the day on the ship and then decided she had better get off of it because the ship was leaving port. So - she packed up all her belongings and those of my dad, and got off the ship. I imagine she took a taxi to a hotel, where my sister from Indiana flew down to be with her. The body was not ready for burial until Thursday and my dad died on Saturday, so my mom and sister did some sightseeing in Barbados for a few days! They all flew home to Philadelphia together on Thursday and we had the funeral service/burial on Saturday. It was a very surreal experience for everyone, and the expense of it all was astronomical. (Ship-to-shore phone calls were $10/minute or so and my siblings all had $200+ phone bills!) SO - this is my first cruise with my hubby coming up (Nov. 24- Dec. 1, 2007) and you better bet we bought insurance! I don't know if my mom and dad had it or not, but I would imagine they didn't know enough to get it. The one thing they always say is, Dad would have loved to brag that he "went first class - on the QE2!"

By the way - he had a heart attack in the pool as he was bragging that he and Mom were having dinner with the captain. They had won a contest for having the most grandchildren of any of the passengers, and their prize was dinner with the captain. Mom was in the laundromat ironing Dad's shirts for dinner and they couldn't find her for several hours after the incident.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Itype4dox
#15
Long Island NY
622 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by itype4dox
I for one know all too well that there are morgues on ships. Back in May of 1993, on the first and only cruise my parents ever took together, my dad passed away. Unfortunately it was only the 3rd day of a 12-day cruise onboard the Queen Elizabeth 2. As they came into port in Barbados, apparently the ship had to report how many live bodies and how many corpses they had. When it was discovered that there was a corpse on board, Barbados authorities came onto the ship and took his body off. No one explained to my mom what was going on, and Cunard was not the slightest bit apologetic, sympathetic, or helpful. She spent the day on the ship and then decided she had better get off of it because the ship was leaving port. So - she packed up all her belongings and those of my dad, and got off the ship. I imagine she took a taxi to a hotel, where my sister from Indiana flew down to be with her. The body was not ready for burial until Thursday and my dad died on Saturday, so my mom and sister did some sightseeing in Barbados for a few days! They all flew home to Philadelphia together on Thursday and we had the funeral service/burial on Saturday. It was a very surreal experience for everyone, and the expense of it all was astronomical. (Ship-to-shore phone calls were $10/minute or so and my siblings all had $200+ phone bills!) SO - this is my first cruise with my hubby coming up (Nov. 24- Dec. 1, 2007) and you better bet we bought insurance! I don't know if my mom and dad had it or not, but I would imagine they didn't know enough to get it. The one thing they always say is, Dad would have loved to brag that he "went first class - on the QE2!"

By the way - he had a heart attack in the pool as he was bragging that he and Mom were having dinner with the captain. They had won a contest for having the most grandchildren of any of the passengers, and their prize was dinner with the captain. Mom was in the laundromat ironing Dad's shirts for dinner and they couldn't find her for several hours after the incident.
I am so sorry. I never expected a post like yours. Thank you for sharing this and God Bless. Have a Great cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America 1982 1985 2005
Carnival 1999
RCCL 2004,2005, 2007
NCL 1999 2006 2007 (upcoming Jan 2008)

Happy sailing! Pat
#16
3,011 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
It was told to us that many of the longer routes and Alaska have the highest death rates. Hawaii and Panama being there with the longer routes. Typically they have a more higher average age. Unfortunatley a herse was waiting for the cruise ship when we got to Costa Rica on our Panama Canal cruise. There was someone airlifted off our Hawaii cruise and also on a caribean cruise we were on. One thing they did say when we toured the bridge on our Panama Canal cruise was that you medical response was only 2-3 minutes max which is great!

Itype4dox - so sorry to hear about your dad. Debbie
#17
Northern Virginia
1,167 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by sail7seas
Yes. There is a place for bodies on every ship. We've had a chance to tour the 'below decks' area on a few ships and it is quite amazing what is down below....
BTW.....there is also a Brig!
Combine the brig and morgue spaces, and you'll shape up the behavior of some passengers pretty fast.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Athens to Istanbul, September 2010
Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Alaska, May/June, 2009
Regent Seven Seas Navigator, Western Caribbean, March 2008
Regent Seven Seas Voyager, Baltic, August 2006
#18
Seattle, WA/Delray Beach, FL
7,554 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by sail7seas
We've had a chance to tour the 'below decks' area on a few ships and it is quite amazing what is down below.

If you ever have the chance to see all this, jump at the chance. It is so interesting.

How did you get to tour the ship? This sounds like fun, but I've never seen that offered. Is it for frequent cruisers only?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tara
GO HAWKS!

Celebrity S-Class cabin spreadsheet

Videos
Liberty of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Feb 2013
Freedom of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Sept 2008
Does the cruise ship wait for you? Passengers missing ship - Feb 2009

Upcoming
RCCL Independence of the Seas, W. Caribbean, March 20, 2017
AmaSerena, Christmas Markets on the Danube, December 3, 2017
Celebrity Edge, February 10, 2019
#19
San Diego
8,858 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Wow, i did not know that! I guess when they say they accomodate for everybody, they are right.
sad but very funny
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises sailed
11/05 Disney Wonder - Bahamas
05/06 Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Honeymoon
12/06 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
05/07 Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Maiden Voyage
10/07 Vision Of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
04/08 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
09/08 Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - now C&A Platinum
01/09 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 1
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 2
12/09 Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
04/10 Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
10/10 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
03/11 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
05/11 Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico

So far 101 wonderful days spent at sea!!
#20
104,865 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Yes there is a morgue on the ships. We have been on quite a few cruises when a passenger or 2 died. It is much easier to bring the body back to the port of embarkation rather than fill out all the paper work and then making expensive transportation for body and anyone else accompany it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.