Liquor purchases onboard

petermccue

Hey, hubby and I are about to take our first Carnival cruise, and we were wondering if there is a way to purchase a bottle of liquor to be delivered to the cabin before we sail or a way to order a full bottle of liquor through room service once on board. We don't mind paying more than land prices, just curious as to whether we actually can. HAL, which we've sailed in the past, does have that option, and we like that.

Anyone know?

V

Any Liquor bought on Carnival in the shops is Put aside for you and delivered to your cabin on the last day of the cruise. You are only allowed a couple bottles of wine to be brought on board. Many do Smuggle Liquor in their checked baggage . It is done all the time.Even when in ports and you purchase liquor they will take it again to hold for the end of the cruise. They put your Cabin # on it .

I've been told that you can indeed order bottles of liquor from room service and they will deliver it to your room. I has asked about that myself, but do expect to pay a hefty price for it.

If you buy a bottle in one of their shops, they will hold that until the last night of the cruise though.

On the RCCL board I read a post where you can buy liquer onboard and pay a "usage fee" to take it back to your stateroom. The post said when you consider the tax you pay on land-it was really no more expensive.

I had never heard of this before but I would thnik if RCCL allows this so would Carnival. Anyone know?

Yeppers! ... we had champagne delivered to our room ... it is one of the gifts on the carnival site or you can call Carnival to order the package ... room steward will keep the ice bucket full of ice as well ... enjoy!

From Carnival's website, the ticket contract:

"...(d) Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on Carnival's vessels for on board consumption. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's gift shops or ashore cannot be consumed aboard the vessel and will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Guests who are celebrating a special occasion are permitted to bring fine wine or champagne (no other alcohol is permitted) at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only. A $10 corkage fee will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival's vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest's charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false iden tification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation...."

Specifically I was asking if there was the ability to order a bottle of hard alcohol (such as vodka, etc) from room service while on the ship or to pre-order same from ship's services before hand.

I've read the whole website and the contract, and know that we can't smuggle alcohol on.

However, we have ordered (On HAL) a bottle of vodka from room service before and had it delievered, albeit at an inflated price. We've also been able to call ship's services before sailing and have a bottle delivered to the room for when we left, much like they do with the wine and champagne. However, I couldn't find any such item in the 'Gifts" section on the Carnival site and thought I'd spare myself a call to Carnival and see what my fellow critics had to offer as far as information.

We already know that we can't just walk on with alcohol, thanks.

Carnival wont allow you to purchase a bottle of vodka to be delviered to the cabin. Sorry- Although the cruise lines frown on smuggling I would say more then 50% of the people do just that. Just pack it carefully in your checked luggage. (If you do buy stuff in the stores they will hol dit til the last night. when you buy bottles in port-- just bypass the table they want you to leave it with--much easier to do when its a lot of people getting on at the same time.

Arrggggh ,You'll have to be smugglin it aboard lass.

(Sorry, it's been a long day.)

I've never heard of being able to buy a bottle and have it delivered at any price.

Not that i've done this of course (wink wink) but I hear you can wrap a bottle in a fluffy towel or a pillow and stuff it into your checked luggage.

(laughs) We've been flying with liquor bottles in our luggage for years. I'm used to it, and know all the tricks for keeping a nice bottle of port safe and sound. Us port drinkers have a hard row to hoe keeping what we like to drink safe.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. Luckily, it's not a long cruise, but if they make it difficult for hubby to drink his nightcap before bed, he'll likely not cruise Carnival again .. for that matter, if I can't find port I can drink, the same applies.

V

Plenty of port on the ship and not badly priced. I am a big port drinker as well and found a good selection available... Mostly LBV's but I know they had a Dow's Tawny... I know they had a good Dow's LBV for under $5 but the best was the '85 Dow's vintage, but it was pricey... $13.... but not really different than you would pay at any decent restaurant. If you get in good with the bartender, he will give you a good pour ;) Not the best selection, but you will be able to get it! Definitely something I would not want to pack.... I pack everything else though :D

Archived