Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old January 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

For formal night I'd suggest a long black skirt and several fancy tops to go with it. That worked for me. I had a red glitter top that I wore on one formal night and then I had another white top I wore for the second formal night. By changing the shoes and jewelry, it looked completely different.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Re Spanx

Hi Girls

Thanks for this thread. It will probably be very helpful to us all. I recently sent for Spanx & have worn it to a wedding we had for New Years Eve. It works really well & keeps that tummy bulge sucked in with the long line version. I didn't feel it was too tight. It does great things for also eliminating that bulge that comes at the top of the regular girdle type thing. It will definitely be in my luggage.

I am planning on bringing 5 formal outfits & then just mix & match my things for the other nights. Just will try different jewelry for a new look. We will just have to do laundry. There is no way around this fact. I think I can get buy with 5 or 6 pr. of shoes. Hubby will be bringing a tux & a dinner jacket & possibly another sport coat too.

We will definitely bring ponchos & a sweater plus a lt. weight jacket for walking the decks when its cool & windy & for some tours.

Thanks for additional thoughts on what to pack. I will have to visit the beauty shop for hairdo's once in awhile + I will be bringing a wig to trade off to once in a while. In the past to get a shampoo, blowdry & curling iron set, it would cost about $45 + tip. This adds up after a few trips there. I don't know how much it would cost for a trim, perm, or a tint. Have never had this done on a cruise before, but have never taken this long of one either. Will have to see how fast it grows.

Donna

Old January 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Spanx

I love my spanx aka sausage thingies! They are super stretchy body control pants..they have above the knee and even full leg lenght and some that are knee length and also have a midriff control that goes all the way up to your bra..I bought one of these and hated it..although some love it..mine kept slipping down around my waist making me look even lumpier...The regular waist to knee lenght are wonderful and they really do make you look slimmer with no panty lines in sight. Even Oprah wears Spanx. You can order them on QVC and most department stores carry them. There have been a lot of posts on the fashion board about them in the past.
I have 10 pounds to lose and every week I either gain or lose a pound...the same pound over and over. It seems the older I get the harder it is to lose those extra pounds.
Hi Steph...glad you found your way here. Your scary story about your hair dye reinforces not taking any kind of toiletries in my packed luggage..it would be horrible if something leaked.
Snowbird, you are right...we will pay whatever it is they charge..I could not let my nails go longer than 2 1/2 weeks without a fill or they would look terrible..I saw on the spa page on the personalizer that they charge $19. for a nail color change. Sissy

CROWN 10/2014 LA~HAWAII~SAMOA~TAHITI~LA

MEMORIES FOREVER~

Ocean 10/2013 Rome to Singapore
Ocean 9/2013 Singapore to Sydney
Crown 12/2012 New Years in the Caribbean
Crown 12/2012 Christmas in the Caribbean
Emerald 12/2011 Caribbean Xmas
Sapphire 10/2011 LA~Hawaii~Samoa~Tahiti~LA
Pacific 11/2010 Med Holy Land
Grand 2/2010 Caribbean
Emerald 2/2009 Eastern Caribbean
Sapphire 4/2008 Sydney to Los Angeles cruise of a lifetime, pt. 2
Grand 2/2007 Southern Caribbean
Regal 4/2006 Ft. Lauderdale, up the Amazon to Manaus
Regal 4/2006 Manaus, Brazil to Ft. Lauderdale B2B
Grand 10/2005 Med~Greece~Turkey
Grand 4/2005 Southern Caribbean
Sapphire 11/2004 LA to Sydney, cruise of a lifetime
Island 4/2004 Panama Canal
Coral 8/2003 Alaska

AND A FEW OTHERS BEFORE WE DISCOVERED PRINCESS~

Old January 19th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks for the thread

I think a fill was about $40 or $45 last year. I'm hoping to get away with doing it just once in the middle of the cruise. I've managed to make it 3 weeks between fills on other trips.

We checked with United today and we can bring 70 lbs per suitcase to Sydeny. But on the way home, we have a 50 lb limit with Delta. I am planning to mail our heavier fall clothing (sweatshirts, etc.) home from Honolulu to make sure that we are under the limit. I bought a neat little raincoat that folds up into a pouch. Takes up little room but great for traveling. I have a feeling we'll need rain gear on this cruise.

10 pairs of shoes! A woman after my own heart! (I'm trying to limit to 5 plus water shoes).

Linda

Old January 20th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Spandex

Is the correct name for the spandex just SPANDEX when I look at QVC on line? I have not seen this in the store....where else would they carry it? Thanks

Old January 20th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Spanx

What a horrible name!
Yes, the girdle type pants may hold you in but create more of a roll in the middle than you really have. The absolute best for me has been a Bali body briefer. It is made of stretchy lace (in white or black) and holds everything gently in place. It is one piece like a bathing suit and you buy it according to your bra size. I used to be able to find them at Macys but they seem to have discontinued them. Imagine my surprise when I just saw them being sold in an AVON CATALOG!!! ($39.99) I buy an extra one, take the straps off & replace them with the clear ones for outfits where they may show.
Sometimes I will wear these shapers under a jersey to avoid the bra/panty line.
Thank goodness for this thread. I can't imagine discussing underwear with the men!!!! (Are you taking many boxers?? No, but I am taking my formal briefs!!!)
Nancy
Carnival Sensation-W Carib 12/01 (Nascar cruise)
Radisson Paul Gauguin-Tahiti 04/02
Norwegian Majesty-W Carib 11/02
Voyager of the Seas-W Carib 03/03
Caribbean Princess-E Carib10/04
Celebrity Mercury-Mex Riv 02/05
Celebrity Summit-Alaska 07/05 (cruisetour)
Sea Princess-S Carib 11/05
Golden Princess-British Isles 08/06
Mariner of the Seas-W Carib HOHS 11/06
MSC Opera-S Carib 3/07
Island Princess-Hawaii 4/07
Victoria Cruises- Yangtze River (cruise & tour) 10/07
Sapphire Princess-Sydney to LA 4/08
Ruby Princess-W Carib 11/08
MSC Orchestra E Carib. 2/09
Star Princess-Rio-Santiago 3/09
Star Princess Santiago-San Fran 3/09
Diamond Princess-B2B Alaska 8/09
Diamond Princess Bangkok-Whittier 4/10
Freedom of the Seas-W Carib. 10/10
Coral Princess-Panama Canal 2/11
Ruby Princess-Rome-Venice 10/11
Ruby Princess-Venice-Ft Lauderdale 10/11
Emerald Princess-Ft. Lauderdale-Copenhagen 4/12
MS Russ-Moscow-St Petersburg 8/12
Ruby Princess-E. Carib 11/12
Jewel of the Seas -W Carib. 3/13
Royal Princess Pre Inaugural -Guernsey 6/13
Royal Princess Sthhamp.-Barcelona 6/13
Caribbean Princess Iceland & Greenland 8/13
Celebrity Silhouette E Carib. 1//14
Ruby Princess E Carib 1//14

Regal Princess Venice-Ft Lauderdale 10/17/14
Ruby Princess 1/3/15
Celebrity Silhouette 1/18/15

Old January 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Maybe when our posts turn to the dreaded subject of bathing suits Ron will show up to discuss the pros and cons of a speedo...well actually I don't think there are any pros to a Speedo! Oh, Yikes, bathing suits..will have to save that for a day that I am feeling very brave and thin.

I wear Spanx and like them but I have never tried anything else..will google Bali Body Brief to take a look.

I always fly with my makeup closeby in my carryon, but with the strict 14 pound restriction I don't know if I can do that this time...I would have to just put that and nothing else in my suitcase...I hate the idea of all my makeup in my checked bag....what if it was delayed or even worse...God forbid it got lost...I would die.
Sissy

MEMORIES FOREVER~

Grand 2/2010 Caribbean
Coral 8/2003 Alaska

Old January 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by az.kuehn View Post
Is the correct name for the spandex just SPANDEX when I look at QVC on line? I have not seen this in the store....where else would they carry it? Thanks
Hi, I am not going on your cruise but can tell you they are called
SPANX.
I tried to post the link for you but it won't seem to submit.

Type in SPANX in the search engine on their website. You should
get about 27 choices under that brand.

Hope this helps and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

PS Hi Sissy
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Last edited by Lois R; January 20th, 2008 at 10:23 AM.

Old January 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Nancy and Sissy,
Enjoyed your posts - I was wondering too if we may have some spies on this thread. Ron may not be able to resist some speedo comments when he returns. How funny!
I'm afraid I'm more low maintenance than a lot of you. Weight Watchers online is my best friend right now though!
Helen

Old January 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Helen, I have friends who use WW online and have really done well..they love that they have to account for their points and can chart their losses. What ever works for you is good...I used to love Jenny Craig and lost weight really well on her program but since being diagnosed with Celiac Sprue I can't eat most of her food because it contains wheat or gluten of some kind.

Don't tell my husband that I am not low maintenance...I have convinced him that compared to others I am very low maintenance. Don't know if he is really buying it or just humoring me.

Hi Lois, how are you..too bad you are not going on this cruise..I know you would fit right in.. I see you have been busy booking cruises for later this year. Good for you!

I don't know if Ron will post here...but I bet if he knows about us he not be able to resist reading this ..Yoo Hoo, Ron...if you are reading this....I hope you are blushing.

Sissy

MEMORIES FOREVER~

Grand 2/2010 Caribbean
Coral 8/2003 Alaska

Last edited by SissyG; January 20th, 2008 at 12:06 PM.

Old January 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Capris

Anyone else besides me taking capris along? I'm going to tuck in a couple of light weight (wrinkle free) linen ones.

Hugs
Anni

Old January 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anni -I'm in with the capris and will even brave a few pair of shorts. Hate to mention the jeans thing here, but plan to were them during the colder part of our trip. Promise no jeans in dining room though! From what I can tell it could be in the 50-60 range Hobart and New Zealand. If I'm wrong about these temps let me know. I really don't know what to expect and wonder if the sun is as big a problem for burning at the time of year we are going. What are all of you bringing in the way of head coverings?

Sissy - I did great on WW on line losing 60 lbs and keeping it off for two years until having a battle with Thyroid issues this last year. I'm back on track now working the program again. I like it since you don't really eliminate any of the major food groups. I know it will work for me again and I don't have as much to lose this time around. Won't have it off before the trip but plan to walk the decks once on board. I'm sure you've noticed how much more active this thread is right now than our main one.

Old January 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Second post - I am in for capris

I posted a little while ago, but got the dreaded white screen, so trying again.

I won't fully focus on packing until I get back to Toronto in early February, but I am sure that capris will figure largely in my packing - great for 'smart casual' as well as daytime.

I followed WW online before my last Sapphire transpacific and it helped to figure out portion control. If I can stick to mixed berries for dessert (okay with one ice cream scoop), I should be able to make it through the cruise with the same wardrobe. Okay, one exception is the raspberry creme brulee!!

Cheers,
Steph

Old January 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

My problem is ordering cookies to the room. Never cruised with Princess before, but I'm sure they are offered from room service.

Old January 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm all for capris - they're great for touring and sitting out on the verandah! I bought new jeans yesterday for the trip that are a size too small - an incentive to continue Weight Watchers till we go.

I bring a long black skirt and black dress pants and three tops. With different shawls and accessories, it looks like five different formal outfits. Everything I am bringing goes with black shoes so I can bring a pair for formal nights and a pair for all the other nights. Add walking shoes and a couple pairs of sandals and my suitcase is nearly full already!

Can someone who's done this itinerary before tell us if they sold T-shirts for this specific itinerary last time? We bought them on our Antarctica cruise - it was quite a mob scene as 2500 passengers fought over 500 shirts. If they'll have the shirts with the itinerary and some for these specific ports, I can bring fewer T-shirts since we won't hit hot weather for a while.

Old January 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

What methods of packing do most of you use---rolling, packing in zip lock bags, etc? I usually use the 2 gallon zip lock baggies to put 2 or sometimes 3 tops in that I have folded using tissue paper. I like the zip lock bags because I don't have to worry about everything getting wet in case the luggage is left out in the rain, etc. However, it really takes a long time to pack.

We went to a cruise show today, and there was a presentation on how to pack. The presenter(who was from Princess) said that she laid out a dry cleaning bag flat on the bed, laid 2 sets of clothes on top of it (no folding), then she put another dry cleaner bag and kept alternating--a set of 2, then dry cleaners bag. Then she said to lightly roll it all together and put it in the suitcase. She said you would be surprised at how few wrinkles they have. I put cleaners' bags on each of our hang up clothes and accordian fold them into a suitcase, but I had never heard of the rolling method. Have any of you? She said it made packing very quick.

I love this thread!!
Inspiration 1996
Sovereign of the Seas 1998
Grand Princess 2001
Explorer of the Seas 2003
Grand Princess Med/Greek Isles 2005
Constellation Transatlantic 2006
Rhapsody of the Seas 5/20/07
Emerald Transatlantic 10/08/07
Sapphire Sydney to LA 4/14/08
Diamond Bangkok to Anchorage 4/15/09
Island Princess: Voyage of the Glaciers: Northbound 5/17/10
Island Princess: Voyage of the Glaciers: Southbound 5/24/10

Future Cruises:

Grand Princess: South American Circle 1/26/2013

Old January 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've never seen or heard of rolling clothes between layers of drycleaning bags but I'm sure it would work..I roll all my travelors and put them between the ribs on the bottom of suitcase then I layer my outfits with drycleaners bags in between them.
I have a hanging bag that has compartments that I put all my bras, panties, stockings and spanx into and it folds in two in my suitcase...then when I unpack it I attach it to the clothes hanger in the closet with the clips on it and then I have more room in the drawers for other things like Tshirts and my rolled travelors.
They did have a Tshirt for our LA to Sydney cruise in the gift shop and also all the port and destination Tshirts. We only bought the LA to Sydney one from Princess but picked up others from different places we visited on our excursions. As I remember the LA to Sydney shirt was a hot item and even went up at the auction at the end of the cruise and got big bucks.

I wear crop pants or pedal pusher or capris whatever you like to call them most of the time..I feel more comfortable in them than in shorts, but will take a pair of knee shorts and a pair that goes with some of my Fresh Produce sports clothes.
I have been trying to lose weight with the goal in mind of being able to wear my Chicos size 1 jeans without lying down on the bed to get them zipped...this morning I thought why not try...I was pleasantly surprised that I could zip them....I am not saying they weren't tight..but they zipped.

There are probably several of us that will be walking the decks...we should try to get together some of the days. Donna aka Raydon said that they walk 4 to 6 miles 5 times a week, wish I had that kind of dedication. Sissy

MEMORIES FOREVER~

Grand 2/2010 Caribbean
Coral 8/2003 Alaska

Old January 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

We use Eagle Creek folding containers because we have large duffle bags, no hard heavy cases. Although, for our dress clothes and jackets I do the same as Jan: cover them on the hangers with several dry cleaner bags and fold them and put them inside and on top of the duffle.

I have to ask you girls "Does anyone wear pantyhose anymore?" I haven't worn them since I retired almost seven years ago. All of my shoes are open toed (except my walking shoes - Mephisto's) and I wear them barefoot. I guess with the cool weather in NZ, I better put some socks in the bag. Bought another pair of shoes to day (I didn't have any white sandals). So far I have two pair of flat sandals, one pair of white heels, one pair of gold heels, three pair of black heels, one pair of brown heels. Plus walking shoes that I will wear on the plane and water shoes. I guess I better look at them and take out one pair. LOL DH says he is bringing two pair packed and walking shoes on the plane. -- More room for me--

Please don't tell my DH that those cookies are not diet/no sugar ones!! Although I always ask for sugar free desserts (and they are good) in the dining room.
I walk about 4 to 5 days here in the park since we came to Florida and will try to continue once on board.. Good idea we get together, DH doesn't walk with me. I just put the Ipod in my ears and start walking. Once we get home in Canada in March, I think the weather will be too cold for me.

As for the capris, I love them. Although I have two pair of dress shorts to pack. Will be wearing the capris the most.

Love this gabfest with no men.

Snowbird

UPCOMING CRUISE

2011 Coral Princess - Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale
2012 Ruby Princess - 31 day Barcelona to FLL

PREVIOUS MEMORABLE CRUISES
2010 Sapphire Princess - 31 day San Fran to Sydney
2007 Star Princess - W. Caribbean
2006 RCI/Brilliance of the Seas - Med Cruise
2004 HAL/ Zuiderdam - W. Caribbean
2002 Sun Cruises/Sunbird (now Thomson Destiny)- B2B Med Cruise
2001 Carnival /Victory - E. Caribbean
1998 Sun Cruises/Carousel (now Aquamarine)- S. Caribbean
1997 Sun Cruises/Carousel (now Aquamarine) - S. Caribbean
1994 Seawind Cruises/Seawind Crown - S.Caribbean

Old January 21st, 2008, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Capris

Yes Anni, will be bringing Capris, jeans, shorts, slax and everything I can squeeze in!Also thanks for the info. on Spanx....will look that up on line! We should organize a walking group for those sea days. Would be fun for a bunch of us to walk together. We walk 2-3 miles most mornings, but would be more fun with women.,.,.,we can gab, gab!

Old January 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sissy

Firstly thanks for setting up this thread, it is SO reassuring that Shirley and I are not the only ones who pack to the weight allowance, we usually get heavy stickers as well. You would not believe the aggrivation and ridicule we have taken over the years for always travelling with too much of everything just in case.

We have decided on this trip we will not compromise on evening out fits. Part of the attraction of cruising for us is the dressing up, something in our normal lives we dont do very often. Therefore for Aus & NZ it will be trousers, tee shirts a thin fleece and lightweight waterproof jacket. Basicially layers that can be mix and matched and carried easily whilst out and about if necessary.

For the islands we too thought cut offs/shorts with very light cotton tops or cover ups over swimwear with maybe a long skirt or cotton sun dress for something a little smarter.We will try and restrict the footwear too, to allow us to maximise on bags/shoes and lots of bling for the evenings !!

We have a couple of questions for those of you that have been on the Sapphire previously. Do the laundries have readily available irons and ironing boards or would we be advised to bring a travel iron?

This may seem strange, but are the hairdryers in the bathrooms or in the cabins. This is because when one of us is in the bathroom and if that one needs to dry their hair the other one cannot get in to shower, not a problem for those of you whose menfolk dont take long to dry their locks!! If the hairdryers are in the cabin itself we can do a swap round without inconveniencing each other.

With regards
Helen.