Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old January 20th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Internet or other ways to communicate back home?

Hi all - DH and I will be going on our first cruise in 2 weeks on the GEM and we are leaving our kids at home with family. I would feel comfortable knowing there is a reasonable way to communicate. How expensive is the internet usage to send a message or check incoming messages? Would it be more useful to call home while on ports or to check messages from the internet on ship?

We do have a cell phone, but have been told that not all carriers have reception at sea and the costs are ridiculously high! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

The internet rates are:

$0.75 per minute
Time Package Plan:
250 minutes for $100 ($0.40 per minute)
100 minutes for $55 ($0.55 per minute)
Pay as you go $0.75 per minute

And it's usually slow.

Most ports have internet cafes where you can call home through the net, with good prices. We usually do a little of both.

Old January 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Your awesome! Thanks for your prompt response.

Old January 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

calling cards can be purchased in ports and then you can call home for a very reasonable rate. I don,t know if the cards are transferable between ports. Our son bought a calling card for $2.50 in belize and called girlfriend and spoke for 10 minutes before hanging up. He got back on the ship after that and doesn't know how much longer he would have been able to talk before card expired. Just another option.

Old January 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

calling cards can be purchased in ports and then you can call home for a very reasonable rate. I don,t know if the cards are transferable between ports. Our son bought a calling card for $2.50 in belize and called girlfriend and spoke for 10 minutes before hanging up. He got back on the ship after that and doesn't know how much longer he would have been able to talk before card expired. Just another option.

Old January 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anyone use a blackberry? Is it possible to send/recieve email via a blackberry without incurring undue expense?

Old January 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim. View Post
Anyone use a blackberry? Is it possible to send/recieve email via a blackberry without incurring undue expense?
Depends on how you are using the Blackberry. It is by the KB, If you are working of an exchange server and not dowloading everything it is a bargain. I had mine one 7X24 0n the Gem transatlantic. I just got my AT&T bill $.70 to $1.40 a day.

Check your carrier rates from here

http://www.wirelessatsea.com/endusers.htm#custinfo

Last edited by Bigdog49; January 20th, 2008 at 04:12 PM.

Old January 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I'm from Canada and have a pearl from Bell Mobility (not listed from your link unfortunately). I will however look into this from Bell Mobility as it may be a far more economical way to send/recieve email, as well as browse the internet.

Old January 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
10,000+ Club

Original poster did not indicate what cell service they have, but - ATT offers service at sea ta 2.49 per minute. Works well.

Old January 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM
10,000+ Club

Original poster did not indicate what cell service they have, but - ATT offers service at sea ta 2.49 per minute. Works well.

Old January 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have not looked up the GEM itinerary for this specific trip, but I have found quite a wide range of internet sites and services available at various ports, from none at all, to internetting from a library, to a place where I was able to chat by phone from Majorca to Texas for five cents a minute.

A few places, I walked around looking for an internet cafe and did not like at ALL the neighborhoods toward which I was directed. In other cases, they have been clean and comfortable and companionable and most pleasant and relatively inexpensive to use. I seem to remember Acapulco was $2 an hour. Remember that the keyboards may be quite different to what you may be accustomed to using.