Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old February 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Century Sunset Veranda Aft Cabins

The sunset veranda cabins on the Century look wonderful. We love aft cabins. Has anyone stayed in these? We are looking at 1246 and 1253 in the middle for a Mediterranean cruise.

Old February 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by psheik View Post
The sunset veranda cabins on the Century look wonderful. We love aft cabins. Has anyone stayed in these? We are looking at 1246 and 1253 in the middle for a Mediterranean cruise.
There has been a good deal of discussion on the Sunset cabins...you might want to do a search. Unlike the aft cabins on the M class ships the balconies on these cabins do not overlook the wake but rather the sunset bar on resort deck.

Old February 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Century Afts

As much as I love the Century, I did not like my century suite balcony. The aft balconies on the Century have no privacy at all. We had the Sunset bar above us and always had people right over our heads.

We also looked right down on the family veranda cabins which had no privacy. The balcony was large but I just couldnt enjoy breakfast out there or an evening cocktail in peace.
Carnival - Jubilee (X3), Celebration, Ecstasy, Sensation, Imagination, Elation (inaugural), Destiny (X2), Conquest, Dream.
Cunard QE2 08/2001 (EB T/A) QM2 11/2009 (WB T/A Hurricane Ida)
HAL- Oosterdam, Eurodam
Paul Gauguin - Tahiti, Oceania - Marina (Rome-Venice)
Crown Princess (Canada/New England), Admiral Cruises Stardancer, Sitmar Fairwind

Old February 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by psheik View Post
We just came back from a 5 day cruise. We were in 1253. I have conflicting thoughts on this cabin. I love to have lounge chairs on my veranda. We would able to fit 2 very tightly. Absolutely no walking room, but that is OK. We were able to sit on the veranda and listen to the guitar player - loved that.

The real down side is that it is the dirtyist veranda that I have ever been on. You are constantly getting soot and we did get 1 cigarette butt. We kept pool towels on the loungers and changed them daily. Our cabin attendant was great and sometimes he would replace our towels with new clean ones.

Old April 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sunset Verande 1253

I sailed on Centruy 3/31/08 - 4/4/08. This was my 5th cruise, first with Celebrity.

To anyone wondering about the SV cabins, here's my take:

Loved it. Room was spotless. The cabin steward did an excellent job. The room is more than adequate for a cruise. Very comfortable. Rooms on cruise ships aren't supposed to be huge. If you are are spending time in your room for anything other than sleeping, changing clothes, taking a nap, or just catching your breath on the bed, then you probably don't need to be taking a cruise vacation.

Take it from me, this room is great. It's on the highest cabin level of the ship. There was a couple at my table who's cabin was about 5 decks directly below ours, and according to them there was a lot of engine noise and excessive vibration in their room. There was zero engine noise in my sunset veranda and very, VERY minimal vibration. And you hardly ever heard any noise from the bar below, and when you did it was beach music being played on a guitar.... THE HORROR!

A short stroll down the hallway from the cabin takes you to a large deck with a bar and lounge chairs, overlooking the pool. Walk out of the cabin, down one level via the stairs, and you are at a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The balcony. It overlooks the tarp covering the bar on the back of the ship. IT'S A TARP FOLKS. IT IS POUNDED BY THE SUN EVERY MOMENT OF THE DAY. IT IS EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS. OCCASSIONALLY A SEAGUL MAY POOP ON IT. IT IS NOT GOING TO BE GLEAMING WHITE AND SPOTLESS. BUT IT IS FAR FROM BAD AND CERTAINLY NOTHING THAT WOULD MAKE YOU REGRET BOOKING THE ROOM. And as for soot being on the balcony... I have to say "What?". I was on a 5 night cruise and my wife and I enjoyed the balcony very much. I never saw the first spec of this so-called soot. I couldn't have been happier with the choice of cabins. We did have one tea bag wrapper that somehow blew onto our deck...

People who look for nit-picking things to be critical about with regard to a cruise SHOULD NOT BE CRUISING. They set wayyyy too high expectations. Want something to complain about? Wait until your toilet doesn't work or your AC doesn't cool the room. Try having a good time in spite of yourself. It's like this couple I talked to at dinner who were on their first cruise and somewhat disappointed in the food. Well, the food was pretty good for a cruise in my opinion. Actually, the lobster was the best I had ever seen/tasted on a cruise ship, and the specialty restaurant on the Century was amazing. As a veteran cruiser I'd say I have a good idea about the cuisine on ships. What I had to explain to them is: Yes, the food served is supposed to be gourmet and fancy, but it is MASS PRODUCED FOR 1800+ PEOPLE! QUALITY WILL BE A SHADE UNDER WHAT YOU EXPECT, BUT STILL GREAT!

Long story short. Big thumbs up to the sunset veranda. I couldn't have been happier with the room, balcony, and location. Book it, enjoy it. Have high expecations, but at the same time, be reasonable if you have ANY hope of enjoying your cruise.

Last edited by Parr1976; April 10th, 2008 at 05:03 PM.

Old April 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Nice to read a report written by someone who obviously enjoys life (and cruising!!).
RCCL - Serenade - TA - West, 2014
X - Infinity - Ft. Lauderdale/Valparaiso, 2015
X - Expedition - Galapagos, 2016
Memories:

Chandris (now X) - Meridian - Caribbean, 1993
MSC - Melody - Mediterranean, 1998

NCL - Dream - Boston/Canada, 2003

X - Infinity - San Diego/Hawaii, 2005

X - Millennium - TA - East, 2007
X - Infinity - Vancouver/Alaska/S. Francisco, 2007
X - Mercury - New Zealand & Australia, 2008
Princess - Diamond - Whittier, AK to Bangkok, 2008
RCCL - Jewel - TA - East, 2009
RCCL - Vision - Norway, 2009
X - Equinox - TA - West, 2009
X - Constellation - TA - East, 2010
X - Century - TA - West, 2010
X - Infinity - South America (B.A.-Valpo), 2011
X - Equinox - Mediterranean, 2011
NCL - SUN - TA - West, 2011
X - Silhouette - Caribbean, 2012
Oceania - Insignia - TA Rio/Barcelona, 2012
Princess - Ruby - TA - West 2012
X - Equinox - TA - East 2013
Ruby Princess - Caribb. Getaway - 2014
X - Constellation - TA - East 2014

Old April 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
20,000+ Club

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by C 2 C View Post
Thanks Arno:

That's a great picture of the aft of the ship

Old April 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Enjoyed your post...just booked cabin 1244 on Century. One question though...being above the tarp over the lounge did you get a view of the water at all or did you feel cut off from it?

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydreaming View Post
Enjoyed your post...just booked cabin 1244 on Century. One question though...being above the tarp over the lounge did you get a view of the water at all or did you feel cut off from it?

Absolutely you get a great view of the water. Enjoy.

Old September 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default to Parr

Hi
Loved your post! I too hate complainers!!! I am booked in 1251--which is possibly where you were or close to it--do you have any photos taken from the balcony or your room. At first I was worried after booking this room when I heard people complaining--but when I look at the other veranda options-this one seems like the best bang for the buck and I understand that for a ship almost 15 years old-these sv rooms are the newest -just added in 2006 I think.
Anyway-would love to pictures if you have any!

Old September 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parr1976 View Post
IT'S A TARP FOLKS. IT IS POUNDED BY THE SUN EVERY MOMENT OF THE DAY. IT IS EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS. OCCASSIONALLY A SEAGUL MAY POOP ON IT. IT IS NOT GOING TO BE GLEAMING WHITE AND SPOTLESS.
I think that's the best thing I ever read on these boards Kudos Parr, what a laugh!

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default can't wait

I can't wait to see this view--wish someone had photos taken from the aft closer to the port side wahh!! Anyway-I'm sure it will be great-the rooms look beautiful-I found some old websites last night that are still outdated and showed the old deck plan of the century-I'm assuming they must be travel companies no longer in business.

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've booked 1253 for our cruise next year and I am wondering what kind of shade, if any, the verandah gets? While the sun is nice, I don't want to fry for five days either

January 2014 - Oceania Marina - Tahiti
March 2012 - HAL Oosterdam - Circle of Hawaii
March 2011 - HAL Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera
September 2010 - HAL Oosterdam - Alaska
February 2010 - Celebrity Century - Caribbean
August 2007 - Regent Mariner - Alaska

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

@ PirateShark

I just booked 1253 on the century for the 5 day on 12/12/09. I would love more info if you find any, especially pics of the balcony. Celebrity claims 80 ft2. Thats 10 x 8 ft and should fit 2 loungers nicely. I will of corse post pics for you when I get back

Old October 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Century in September in one of the FV's. The room was great but the back of the ship shook terribly everytime we arrived or left port due to the side thrusters. It woke us up every morning. I would never book any room near the stern of that ship. Also agree, little privacy on the back balconies, had smokers in two rooms above and one beside us. There was ashes on our table every morning.
Millenmium - March 2008
Galaxy - March 2007
Summit - March 2005

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default photos please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
@ PirateShark

I just booked 1253 on the century for the 5 day on 12/12/09. I would love more info if you find any, especially pics of the balcony. Celebrity claims 80 ft2. Thats 10 x 8 ft and should fit 2 loungers nicely. I will of course post pics for you when I get back
I would be so grateful if you could post pics--I specifically am curious as to the view our balcony will have looking out to the right--I know that due to the tarp we have to look further out before we see the water but wondering if it's a clearer view of water to the right as 1251 seems to be the farthest balcony cabin on that side as the cabin next door is actually only outside cabin-no balcony

Have a great time!!!! Thanks in advance for taking many photos!!