Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old February 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Balcony Vs Oceanview?

I have only had a balcony room on the 3 cruises i have been on.. so i was wondering if the balcony is really worth the extra money? We do enjoy going out on the balcony but we can go on deck for the same effect i suppose.. any thoughts?

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've done both as well, and sure, a balcony is terrific to have. However, I've had great cruises in my oceanview staterooms as well. I think it's nice to have a balcony for those evenings after you've come back to your room and just want to sit quietly and listen to the ocean. It's certainly my preference, but I don't "have" to have one. Is there a huge cost difference between the oceanview that you're considering and the balcony?

March 2014 - Oasis of the Seas
December 2012 - Carnival Breeze

March 2010 - Carnival Miracle

March 2009 - NCL Sky
June 2008 - Carnival Valor (again!)
July 2007 - Enchantment of the Seas
March 2007 - NCL Pearl
October 2006 - Carnival Valor
March 2006 - NCL Jewel
May 2005 - Carnival Ecstasy
February 2005 - NCL Spirit
May 2003 - Grand Princess
May 2002 - NCL Sun
May 2000- NCL Sea

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessbride3 View Post
I have only had a balcony room on the 3 cruises i have been on.. so i was wondering if the balcony is really worth the extra money? We do enjoy going out on the balcony but we can go on deck for the same effect i suppose.. any thoughts?
It boils down to personal preference. You won't know if you would be happy in an inside cabin unless you try one. I've been in an inside, oceanview, and balcony and I personally prefer a balcony...

Good luck!
Royal Caribbean - 1
Celebrity - 1

10,000+ Club

It's totally up to you if it is worth it. It is worth it for us because we spend alot of time on our balcony. Not our cabin but our balcony

Old February 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I think the balcony is worth the extra $$ just so you can get a better view and some fresh air in your bathrobe! When we're on a Fantasy class ship, we get an OV since the only balconies on those ships are in the suites and we don't want to spend quite that much $$, and the OV is OK, but usually the windows are hard to see out of, the outside an be dirty and/or water spotted and sometimes the beds are kind of in the way.

Carnival Splendor - September 23, 2012
Carnival Spirit - March 2, 2012
Carnival Spirit - October 21, 2011
Carnival Paradise - May 16, 2011
Carnival Splendor - October 24, 2010
Carnival Paradise (B2B) - March 1, 2010
Carnival Paradise (B2B) - February 26, 2010
Carnival Splendor - October 18, 2009
Carnival Spirit - March 28, 2009
Carnival Paradise - September 1, 2008
Carnival Elation - March 27, 2008
Carnival Pride - February 18, 2007
Carnival Paradise - October 9, 2006
Carnival Inspiration - October 14, 2001
RCCL Song of America - April 1993

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
50,000+ Club

I think it depends on if you like to sit out there and the fresh air or not. My sister fusses over its too hot, doesnt like the wind blowing her hair and loves to people watch, Im the one who likes to watch the ocean, so I get a OV for me, as a compromise. I feel depresed without any view, we like OVs, even a port hole is enough, I just want to see out.

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
For me it depends on the itinerary and the cruise length. When we go on the Holiday, we stay in an interior cabin...not much to look at in the Gulf and it's a short cruise. But on long cruises we spend a whole lot of time on our balcony and I wouldn't do it any other way. Waking up each morning and stepping out onto the balcony to get the first glimpse of a new port/country is quite exciting. The most memorable morning for me was waking up in Istanbul, opening the balcony doors, and seeing all of those minarets for the first time...just awesome!

Also, we enjoy having a cocktail and playing a bit of Scrabble in the evening on our balcony before dinner while we wait for the ship to leave port. We bring our MP3 player and mini speakers and listen to music while we relax and watch the sunset. I also love sitting out on the balcony in my jammies before I go to sleep and watching the moon glow on the water. We're pretty private people and don't enjoy crowds much (kind of goes against the whole cruising thing, doesn't it...LOL).

I think everyone has different reasons for the cabins they choose so you'll get all kinds of answers but, honestly, if you've already done a balcony and didn't really see the value, then maybe it's not worth it for you.

Past and Future Cruises:

Dawn Princess - 10 Day Southern Caribbean - May 2000
Carnival Holiday - 5 Day Mexico Run - March 2007
Emerald Princess - 12 Day Mediterranean Cruise - August 2007
Carnival Holiday - 5 Day Birthday Cruise - September 2007
Carnival Holiday - 4 Day Lost Weekend Cruise - August 2008
Emerald Princess - 10 Day Caribbean Vow Renewal Cruise - April 2009
Carnival Elation - 4 Day Christmas Cruise - December 2010
Carnival Freedom - 6 Day Post-Turkey Caribbean Cruise - November 2011
Crown Princess - 12 Day Greek Isles - May 2012
Carnival Legend - 7 Day Caribbean Surprise - November 2013

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've done a balcony on every cruise as well. One time some friends joined us and there room was oceanview. It was still nice, but I really liked the freedom of going out on my own balcony to eat room service.

Carnival Pride 01 2005 & 08 2008 (7 nights)
Carnival Triumph 01 2006 (7 nights)
Carnival Spirit 03 2007 (8 nights)
Carnival Valor 01 2010 (7 nights)

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think the balcony is definitely worth the extra money. I love being able to go out there first thing in the AM in my pjs if I so please. I also spent a lot of time out there just relaxing while DH was getting ready, it's a nice retreat when you don't feel like being with a bunch of other people. I also love listening to the ocean at night, perfect way to get to sleep.
All in all it's a personal choice, I don't think I could go back to an OV after experiencing a balcony. Today I even noticed that the OV are more then we paid for our balcony guarantee.

Proud wife of a Marine Scout Sniper
Triumph 2001-Pride 2002-Glory 2004
Legend 2007-Glory 2008-Miracle 2009
Dream 2010- Freedom 2011-Ecstasy 2012
Liberty 2012-Liberty 2013-Paradise 2014
Sunshine 2014

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
10,000+ Club

For us the choice to go balcony depends on the itinerary. If it is a port intensive cruise, we go inside cabins since we know we won't be in our cabin that much. For cruises with many sea days, we enjoy a balcony if we can afford it.

We have never booked an OV on any of our 23 cruises. Difference between the price between an OV & balcony is not normally that much and we've always figured the difference in price worth going to balcony rate if we want to see out of our cabin.

We have been upgraded from inside to OV a few times. Seeing out of our cabin was OK, but not worth the extra price to us to go from inside to balcony on the cruises where we were on a port intensive cruise.

BTW, we don't get claustrophobic so an inside works well with us. Inside cabins also work well with us when we cruise just to get away and get some needed rest as the cabin is very dark in the afternoon as well as evening and morning.

Dianne

Email 98Charlie Here

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
5,000+ Club

For my money a balcony is worth it every time. My wife really enjoys mornings on the balcony and likes to be able to sit out there if the area around the pool is just too crazy.
As many others have said it reall is a matter of personal preference. After all it is your money.
Voyager of the Seas May 2002
Celebration July 2002
Jubilee Sept 2002
Destiny June 2003
Jubilee Sept 2003
College Tuitions 2004-2008
Ecstacy March 2008
Conquest Sept 2009
Ecstacy Feb 2010

Conquest Sept 2010
Celebrity Reflection July 2013
Oceania Marina 2014
Time and Tide Waits for No Man

Old February 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

One thing we enjoy on the balcony is the chairs instead of lounge chairs. Much more comfortable. If you can afford it on a 7 day -- go for it.

Old February 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
5,000+ Club

I personally wouldn't waste the money on an ocean view cabin. If you can spring the extra $ for a balcony, do it. If not, book an inside cabin. I personally loved my inside cabin on my first cruise and will likely book my next cruise in a 4A. I'm totally okay with an inside cabin and love the total darkness.

My upcoming cruise will be my first balcony. I like the idea of sitting outside drinking my coffee in the morning or before dinner having a Jack & Coke & listening to the ocean. Sounds really nice. But to me, it wouldn't be worth a lot of money extra and most balcony's are a lot more $$$ than inside's so I foresee a lot more insides in my future. I'd rather cruise twice in an inside than once on a balcony but that is just my preference.

ARIZONA CRUISERS...NEVER ENDING CIRCLE OF FRIENDS! COME JOIN IN

NEXT CRUISES:
May 3, 2014; Jewel of the Seas
May 9, 2015; Oasis of the Seas