Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old March 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Any cure for "sea legs" post cruise?

Help me please cruise critics! I am six days post debarkation and am still "rocking & rolling" and it just doesn't seem to want to go away!! I do not recall feeling my "sea legs" for so long post cruise. What can I do? I know from prior cruises than any kind of alcoholic beverage only intensifies the feeling, so besides steering clear of that, what can I do??

1960-1961-1962-1963-Queen of Bermuda-young child w family--what memories!
1982-Costa-Carla C--Honeymoon!!
1984-1986-1994 NCL-can't remember the name of ships! All similar names and no longer around!
1996-Celebrity-Century-Eastern Caribbean
2004-Royal Caribbean-Empress of the Seas-Bermuda
2008-Carnival-Valor-Western Caribbean!!

Old March 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
5,000+ Club

The only thing that ever worked for me was taking 1/2 of a meclizine before bed.

I wear the patch and now leave it on for 3 days after we get home. That seems to settle my inner ear while it readjusts to land.

NEXT UP: Alaska! Summer 2014
PAST: Closing in on 20 cruises on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Take 1/2 of 2 meclizine, book another cruise, and call me in the morning....

Seriously, this ''prolongued seasickness'' is an irritant. One of my best buddies has the best sealegs you can ever hope to have, he'll sail thru EVERYTHING the sea throws at him...and loves it !! And yet, takes him 5-8 days,once back on land, to shakeoff what amount to motion sickness on land...thus it has to be treated the same way.... He'll take the medication, as the previous poster suggested, in half doseage,...and keeps doing things you would do on a ship when you're sea-sick; stare far and straight, fresh air, eat ginger stuff...avoid sudden moves...and your inner ear ultimately ''takes a hint'' and adjusts.
Good luck....and yes: booking ( and thus looking forward to ) another cruise works like a charm....
Cheers
Past waves & great memories: Island Princess ( x2), Dawn Princess, Regal Princess, Coral princess, X Summit ( 2 ), X Mercury ( x2 ) , X Century ( X 3 ), X Infinity, X Millenium ( x 3 ). NCL Star.HAL's Oosterdam, RCCL Mariner of the Seas. X Constellation .X Solstice
next up:: will NOT be on Celebrity !
Claude G.

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
40,000+ Club

The only cure is to book another crusie.

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:06 PM
5,000+ Club

I guess that I must be lucky that I have Meniere's disease--it only takes me 24 hours to get over it. But meclizine helps.

Fair Princess 1991
Sun Viking 1992
Nordic Prince 1993
Carnival Holiday 1994
Windward 1995, 1996, 1997
Sun Princess 1997, 1998, 1999
Regal Princess 1999
Norwegian Wind 9/11/01, 2002, 2003
Celebrity Infinity 2004
Norwegian Star 2005, Alaska 2010
Golden Princess 2008
Golden Princess 2009

My Travel Photo Gallery :

http://www.photographybylyon.com/

My Travel Video Gallery:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...tleCruiselover

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default New Knowledge!

This will be my first cruise and I don't know what I would do without this site! None of my travel books told me I might experience land-sickness after the cruise. So now I will ask the doctor for a meclizine patch. Is this the same patch I should ask for if I am worried about sea-sickness?

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:40 PM
50,000+ Club

It will go away! I had that sensation after my 1st cruise, but only in the shower! (Must be the water???!!!!) Don't worry--it will subside. Just keep telling yourself that "I am NOT dizzy, I am NOT dizzy....." Mind over matter, and all that!

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzymom View Post
Help me please cruise critics! I am six days post debarkation and am still "rocking & rolling" and it just doesn't seem to want to go away!! I do not recall feeling my "sea legs" for so long post cruise. What can I do? I know from prior cruises than any kind of alcoholic beverage only intensifies the feeling, so besides steering clear of that, what can I do??

Same feeling. We actually wore our sea bands back on land and they did seem to help. Plenty of activity as well as we had to head back to work.

Finally tonight I feel over it.

Co-Founder of the Proud Indulgent Rum And Tequilla Enjoyment Society

Old March 1st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bonine or something of the like. Sea bands can help. Despite 14 ft. swells on my last cruise I didn't get any sea legs from using sea bands.
CCL Fantasy--Christmas '07

Old March 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
40,000+ Club

This can happen to some after every cruise, or sometimes show up for no reason after a person has cruised many many times. We have sailed on over 35 cruises and only once did this hit after returning home. It was so severe, the doctor was called, thought it was the flu it was so terrible. I was perscribed seasickness meds, and poof, gone in a few hours. I had to take them for a week, but they kept all those nasty symptoms away.
Funny thing is, I don't get seasick, but that one time I got landsick.............ARGH! Terrible feeling.

Just treat it as you would if you were actually seasick onboard a ship and in a few days, it should pass. If it doesn't, you might possibly have an inner ear problem and I would check with your doctor, just to be on the safe side.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default time..time...time

Quote:
The only cure for me is time. Last 7 nights cruise in October: took 2 months to reajust! If you want to do some research it is called "mal de debarquement" (MDD) and some people have been suffering from this for months, even years... But it doesn't stop me from cruising. OTOH, the only good thing about MDD is that people who suffer from that are OK on the sea and are not seasick... You'll notice, when you are driving, the sensation of dizziness goes away, as soon as you stop and desembark, it comes back...

Best of luck

DONE: 06/14/2005: Baltic (Century) - 05/06/2006: Transat Galveston to Rome (Galaxy) - 10/14/2006: Bermuda (Zenith) - 02/10/2007: Western Caribbean (Voyager of the seas) - 11/10/2007: Hawaii - Round trip San Diego(Summit) - 04/06/2008: ROYAL TACOS on SOS: Brazil - Portugal (transat) - 10/30/08: Repo cruise (Connie) - 04/18/2009: TAPAS on Summit: San Juan - Spain (Transat) - 10/01/2009: Med & Greek Isles (Brilliance of the seas) - 01/03/2010: Panama Canal (Azamara Journey) - 10/31/2010: Westbound transat (Equinox) - 04/14/2011: South Pacific (Australia - Hawaii) (Rhapsody) - 11/06/2011: Inaugural Carribbean cruise (Silhouette) - 05/21/2012: Venice and Greece (Voyager of the seas) - CANCELLED! - 04/21/2012: Transat - FLL to Southampton (Eclipse) - 09/17/2012: Venice to Rome (Silhouette) - 02/17/2013: South Asia - Hong Kong to Singapore (Millenium) - 09/30/2013: Immersive wine cruise - UK -France - Spain - Portugal (Infinity) - 01/31/14: Eastern Caribbean - NY to NY (Explorer of the seas) -

TO DO : 05/10/2014: Transpacific - Tokyo to Vancouver

Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Try spending a little time standing on the 'A' Train each day to 'wean' yourself off the feeling, until you book your next cruise!

Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms simba View Post
This will be my first cruise and I don't know what I would do without this site! None of my travel books told me I might experience land-sickness after the cruise. So now I will ask the doctor for a meclizine patch. Is this the same patch I should ask for if I am worried about sea-sickness?
There is no meclizine patch. Meclizine is an OTC (prescription version is Antivert) med, often chewable. Still ask you primary care provider if it is all right for you to take it, based on your medications. The patch is Scopalomine, a drug with many known side effects and drug interactions, so needs a prescription from your physician to get it.

Fair Princess 1991
Sun Viking 1992
Nordic Prince 1993
Carnival Holiday 1994
Windward 1995, 1996, 1997
Sun Princess 1997, 1998, 1999
Regal Princess 1999
Norwegian Wind 9/11/01, 2002, 2003
Celebrity Infinity 2004
Norwegian Star 2005, Alaska 2010
Golden Princess 2008
Golden Princess 2009

My Travel Photo Gallery :

http://www.photographybylyon.com/

My Travel Video Gallery:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...tleCruiselover

Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oops, I posted the same question before reading this post -- I'm off to take some Bonine, I have lots and only needed it once on the ship... this feels so strange! I can't imagine it lasting for months, yuck!

Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
5,000+ Club

Time is the only cure....just enjoy it as a souvenir of your vacation.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

I agree, mostly -- time usually resolves it for me, and sometimes it's more time than I'd have thought (ten days was my longest so far). However, sometimes it's due to inner ear fluid buildup, either due to altitude changes, the pressurization of the airplane cabin, or a bug you picked up either on the ship or on the plane. So I also take a good strong decongestant (the kind you now have to go show ID to buy OTC) for a few days after we get back from a cruise. That seems to have helped in my completely anecdotal, non-scientific case study -- i.e., it helps me, or I THINK it does, which is frequently the same thing.

Upcoming Cruises:

Western Caribbean -- Carnival Sunshine, November 2014

Some Past Cruise Adventures:

Pride of Hawaii, NCL, 2007 (Hawaii) -- MS Volendam, HAL, 2008 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Dawn, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Carnival Triumph, 2009 (Canada) -- Emerald Princess, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2011 (Western Caribbean) -- Celebrity Summit, 2011 (Bermuda Cruise Critic Member Cruise) -- Ruby Princess, 2012 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Sapphire Princess, 2012 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Sky, 2013 (Bahamas) -- Carnival Dream, 2013 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2014 (Western Caribbean)

Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamptherapy View Post
Oops, I posted the same question before reading this post -- I'm off to take some Bonine, I have lots and only needed it once on the ship... this feels so strange! I can't imagine it lasting for months, yuck!
I posted a response to your thread as well before I saw this one. They'll probably merge the two threads.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks!

Ok--thank you one and all for your responses!! Just for the record, I have never been seasick, unless you count my last crusie when watching the horizon over the railing from my chaise made my tummy roll!! And on two cruises as a kid we were in hurricanes!! (you should have seen the water in the pool sloshing like huge waves--any my Mom running up and down to get us kids out--or the dinner tables chained, yes, chained to the floor at supper on the Cunard Queen of Bermuda!)
My symptoms have greatly subsided, I do think the OTC meds helped, the inner ear may be an issue (I don't do dives well either-can't equalize those ears) and best of all, I am talking DH's ear off right now about planning our next cruise--by far IMHO the best suggestion yet!!

1960-1961-1962-1963-Queen of Bermuda-young child w family--what memories!
1982-Costa-Carla C--Honeymoon!!
1984-1986-1994 NCL-can't remember the name of ships! All similar names and no longer around!
1996-Celebrity-Century-Eastern Caribbean
2004-Royal Caribbean-Empress of the Seas-Bermuda
2008-Carnival-Valor-Western Caribbean!!

Old October 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am now feeling this so bad I almost called in sick to work today!! I feel nauseous sitting at a table and looking at the computer. Laying down makes me feel better. My head feels like it has pressure against it and I feel that lightheaded rocking feeling like when you first take off on a plane and are slowly turning in midair. Driving feels very weird too, like I'm flying a plane instead of driving. Kind of scary! In the shower I kept almost tipping over and had to lean against the wall. Disembarked yesterday at 9am... when will this go away?? It is a horrible feeling!! I will prob take half a Bonine tonight, but I don't want to be drugged up on meds all the time. This was my first cruise and it was a bad one so I couldn't wait to get home... now that I'm home, I still feel horrible!! When can I get off this "ship"?!!

Old October 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

For some people, the problem can be helped by doing "exercises" : tilt head to each shoulder, forward to chest. Repeat.

Initially, it will make you feel worse . However, it was recommended by my physician. It can help with the circulation of fluid in the inner ear....if I remember correctly.

At least it involves no medication, and makes you feel like you're doing something which will help yourself.