Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > British Isles/Western Europe

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

British Isles/Western Europe Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Zeebrugge to Bruges. Some options how to get there.

In an earlier post I mentioned a nice walking tour of Bruges that starts at the railroad station. http://www.********.com/Brugge%205.html

What I didn’t tell you was how to go from the cruise terminal in Zeebrugge (meaning Sea Brugge) to the city of Bruges (AKA Brugge), a distance of only about 8.5 miles as the crow flies.

Here are a few options about how to cover that seemingly short distance:

1. Sign up for a cruise ship tour or transport. Our least favorite for this port since it is so easy to see Bruges on your own and all cruise ships charge too much. Oceania, for example, charges $89 per person just to give you a ride on a bus.

2. Take a taxi. There are not too many at the dock if you are on a large ship. So, you should make advanced reservations. One company is “Brugse Taxi Service” email info@brugsetaxiservice.be Attn. Koen Keereman.
He charges 45 euros one way, meets you at the dock and will take you back later in the day for another 45 euros. Let him know in advance how many in your group. He can handle up to eight people for the same price. I am also trying to make contact with another taxi service to see if the price is about right and will post that info later.

3. Take the train.
Before I go any further, let me mention that public transportation in Europe is fast, safe and very economical. Americans are just not used to it and always shy away from taking a bus or train. Too bad. If you want to be a bit braver, consider the following options:

a. From the cruise ship terminal walk to the train station in the little town of Blankenberge. It is a long walk of about 2.5 miles due west along the coastal road “Kustlaan”. From there an eleven minute train ride takes to the starting point of the afore mentioned walking tour in Bruges.
b. If you’d rather not walk that far, take the coastal tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge. The tram costs you one euro per person. The train is four euros for seniors and five euros if you are not. So, for six euros or less you can be there and back (round trip).

Here are a few more details and schedules for the summer of 2008:
There is a direct train from Blankenberge to Bruges that leaves at 8:10, then 9:10 etc every hour. If you should miss that by a few minutes you can also take a bus right outside the station. Bus 33 goes to almost the same place and leaves at 8:20 for example. I don’t know if the fare is the same.
The tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge goes every ten minutes, so you can time yourselves from that. To catch the tram, walk outside the harbor area, go to the main road (Kustlaan) and turn west. In front of the little beach village of Strandwijk is one of the tram stops. It is a couple hundred yards walk. Ask anyone. Then tell the tram conductor that you want to go to the train station in Blankenberg. He will throw you off at the right place.
You might want to get some euros at an ATM in Blankenberge. There are three banks close near the railroad station. You will find that most people speak enough English to show you where to go. (No pun intended).
To go back the same way I suggest you consult the schedules that are posted at the train station. There is one website, but it is in Dutch, and I don’t want to translate all the instructions here.
http://hari.b-holding.be/Hafas/bin/query.exe/nn?OK#focus

Every cruise ship has its own schedule and everyone is afraid that they will miss it. However, It is quite doable to go back from the station in Bruges to the ship within an hour. When in doubt, you can still take a cab back if you can find one.

Oh, there is one more way to cover the 8.5 miles. You might find a bicycle rental place in Strandwijk and ride along the canal that connects Zeebrugge to Bruges. We have not tried that.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

We took Brugge Taxi (has a website) that was there to meet us in Zebrugge right on time and brought us back to the ship as well (we had pre-arranged times). I had contacted them by email and they were very responsive. Great deal--much cheaper than the ship's transport.

Old September 6th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEY10 View Post
We took Brugge Taxi (has a website) that was there to meet us in Zebrugge right on time and brought us back to the ship as well (we had pre-arranged times). I had contacted them by email and they were very responsive. Great deal--much cheaper than the ship's transport.
I still maintain that 90 euros for a ten minute taxi ride is not a great deal. True it is cheaper than most cruise ship charges, but that is why a lot of us use this forum, to find a better way to go.

Some cruise lines provide a shuttle service to the train station. I am totally disappointed that Oceania, for example, don't offer that option. But then again they want you to be stuck and rely on their outrageous shore excursion fees.

I hope you had a good time in Brugge; it is one of my most favorite cities to visit.

Old September 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had a group of 10 and then found 6 others so were able to divide it 26 ways which worked. Cruisecritic was very helpful in finding the 6 others and in fact others on the ship wished they could have joined us.

Old September 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEY10 View Post
We had a group of 10 and then found 6 others so were able to divide it 26 ways which worked. Cruisecritic was very helpful in finding the 6 others and in fact others on the ship wished they could have joined us.
Now, that makes a lot of sense! Good for you.

BTW 10 plus 6 meant you had two taxis, right? That comes to a little over 11 euros per person, which is not bad. Oceania charges $89 per person, I believe.

The post on top is rather old. It was my first crack at trying to find a way to go from Zeebrugge to Brugge. There are several more responses since then, but here is what we did:
Our ship arrived at the dock furthest to the south-west. Although it was raining lightly, several of us walked to the train station (just under half an hour and not recommended for those who don't like to walk along non-sidewalk roads).
The train station at Zeebrugge-Strand only operates during the three summer months (June, July, August), but from there it cost us 2 euros per person to Brugge. From the Brugge train station we did the "Bruges-Walking-Tour", as shown earlier.
For some pictures and a description of this option you might check the following web site http://www.********.com/Bruges.html

Last edited by Lair Bear; September 6th, 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Old May 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Lair Bear,

Your 2 topics on train from Zeebrugge to Bruges is one of the best lots of info I have ever seen from general public - great.
The only thing that puzzles me is that on one entry you say take train from Blankenberge but on another say train from one of 2 stations at Zeebrugge itself (which is obviously closer and simpler). Can you please explain the logic.
Thanks

Old May 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafonical View Post
Hi Lair Bear,

Your 2 topics on train from Zeebrugge to Bruges is one of the best lots of info I have ever seen from general public - great.
The only thing that puzzles me is that on one entry you say take train from Blankenberge but on another say train from one of 2 stations at Zeebrugge itself (which is obviously closer and simpler). Can you please explain the logic.
Thanks
I was going to ask the same question! I'm guessing it is because he said the Zeebruge station only operates during the summer?

Also, how far away is the Zeebrugge station from the cruise terminal?

Last edited by Nancipants; May 13th, 2009 at 04:13 PM.

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafonical View Post
Hi Lair Bear,

Thanks
The train station in Zeebrugge (to go to Bruges) can be at one of two places depending on the season. During the summer months (July, August, September) the train goes to the station along the beach (Strand). The rest of the year it goes into the village of Zeebrugge (Dorp).
We were there in July, so the station Zeebrugge Strand is what we wanted. However, it is a bit of a walk from the ship's dock (about a mile).
We left the ship just before nine am, walked in a drizzle and boarded the train at Strand at 9:38 am. The train ride takes about 11 minutes.

The reason I included the train station at Blankenberg is that some of the larger cruise ships provide a bus shuttle to that town further south along the coast. The train service from there is more regular. If your cruise provides this shuttle service, then by all means use it. It saves the walk to the station and it is a lot better than paying 90 euros for a taxi (round trip).

Last edited by Lair Bear; May 13th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Let me add the following

Perhaps the following picture might help. The red line is how we walked from the cruise 'terminal', or dock, to the Strand Station. If the train does not go there, but stops at Dorp, you can see that it adds a long way to go there (yellow line). In my opinion that is not worth it.

Now you find some others to share a cab.

[IMG]http://www.********.com/Temporary/zeebrugge.jpg[/IMG]

Old May 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair Bear View Post
The train station in Zeebrugge (to go to Bruges) can be at one of two places depending on the season. During the summer months (July, August, September) the train goes to the station along the beach (Strand). The rest of the year it goes into the village of Zeebrugge (Dorp).
We were there in July, so the station Zeebrugge Strand is what we wanted. However, it is a bit of a walk from the ship's dock (about a mile).
We left the ship just before nine am, walked in a drizzle and boarded the train at Strand at 9:38 am. The train ride takes about 11 minutes.

The reason I included the train station at Blankenberg is that some of the larger cruise ships provide a bus shuttle to that town further south along the coast. The train service from there is more regular. If your cruise provides this shuttle service, then by all means use it. It saves the walk to the station and it is a lot better than paying 90 euros for a taxi (round trip).

I am trying to find out the best way to get to Burgge. We will be on the NCL Jade. I called the cruise line and they don't know anything about a shuttle. Am I to assume then that they don't have one to Blankenburg? Or that they just didn't know that they have one....you know how the Reps at the cruise lines are - they never give you the correct information.

Has anyone ben on a NCL ship in this port?

Marion
Queen of Bermuda 6/62,Carnival Paradise 3/99,Renaissance 4 2/01,Summit 11/01,Millennium 2/02,Mercury 11/02,Star Princess 2/03,Zuiderdam 8/03,Century 10/03,Voyager of the Sea 2/04,Regal Princess - Alaska 7/04,Zaandam 12/04,Galaxy 9/05Infinity 1/06,Jewel of the Seas 8/06,Zenith 1/07,Adventurer of the Seas 9/07,Oceania Insignia TA 3/08,Solstice 11/08,NCL Jade 5/09,Diamond Princess-Alaska 8/09,Oceania Regatta TA 11/14/09,Oceania Marina TA 1/22/11,Oasis of the Seas 10/29/11,Oceania Marina 1/3/12,Amazara Journey TA 4/18/12,Carnival Breeze 10/1/12,Azamara Quest TA 11/13/13,NCL Epic 2/22/14,Avalon Visionary 5/24/14,Carnival Splendor 9/27/14-Canada/NewEngland, Celebrity Millennium 3/15/15 -Asia. Serenade of the Seas 6/6/2015 -Norway/Fjords

Old May 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair Bear View Post

Are these trains or trams? I ask because I'm sure that Blankenburg station was a terminus - the end of the line.
Azura 2015 - W Mediterranean
-------------------------
Already enjoyed:
MSC Sinfonia (2005), Norwegian Jewel (2005), Galaxy (2006 & 2007), Braemar (2007), Oriana (2008 & 2012), Ventura (2008, 2010, 2011 & 2013), Celebrity Solstice (2009), Arcadia (2010 & 2012), Black Watch (2011)

My Blog: http://tomscruiseblog.co.uk

Old May 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparis184 View Post
I am trying to find out the best way to get to Burgge. We will be on the NCL Jade. I called the cruise line and they don't know anything about a shuttle. Am I to assume then that they don't have one to Blankenburg? Or that they just didn't know that they have one....you know how the Reps at the cruise lines are - they never give you the correct information.

Marion
The way I understand the shuttle service is that the cruise line makes the arrangement with the port authorities (for a fee, I am sure). The shuttle service is not part of the normal operations. We were with Oceania and they did not provide the shuttle. I don't know about other cruise lines, but there have been posts here about some who had taken a shuttle to Blankenberg. I don't understand why the shuttle goes all the way to that town and not the local train station, but that is what I had been told by several people here on this forum.

Indeed, the train (not tram) goes from Blankenberg to Bruges. The beach town is the end of the line.
Perhaps there may have been some confusion about a tram system that runs along the coast. This tram stops not too far from the Strand station in Zeebrugge (as shown on the map), and it is a way to get to Blankenberg, but that is certainly a long way around.

Old May 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Jade.

Quote:

Has anyone ben on a NCL ship in this port?

Marion
Yes, we were on Jade last year on the UK trip. The shuttle buses at Zeebrugge were provided by the local tourist board to Blankenburg, with a tourist rep. on board who explained the system re.railways. If it's the same cruise, shuttles were provided by the T.B. at Le Havre, Dublin and Belfast. The other ports are close by the villages or towns, and in the case of Amsterdam, next to the tram stop.-jocap.

Old May 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocap View Post
Yes, we were on Jade last year on the UK trip. The shuttle buses at Zeebrugge were provided by the local tourist board to Blankenburg, with a tourist rep. on board who explained the system re.railways. If it's the same cruise, shuttles were provided by the T.B. at Le Havre, Dublin and Belfast. The other ports are close by the villages or towns, and in the case of Amsterdam, next to the tram stop.-jocap.
Thanks, I can only hope that it will be the same this year in the ports.

Marion
Queen of Bermuda 6/62,Carnival Paradise 3/99,Renaissance 4 2/01,Summit 11/01,Millennium 2/02,Mercury 11/02,Star Princess 2/03,Zuiderdam 8/03,Century 10/03,Voyager of the Sea 2/04,Regal Princess - Alaska 7/04,Zaandam 12/04,Galaxy 9/05Infinity 1/06,Jewel of the Seas 8/06,Zenith 1/07,Adventurer of the Seas 9/07,Oceania Insignia TA 3/08,Solstice 11/08,NCL Jade 5/09,Diamond Princess-Alaska 8/09,Oceania Regatta TA 11/14/09,Oceania Marina TA 1/22/11,Oasis of the Seas 10/29/11,Oceania Marina 1/3/12,Amazara Journey TA 4/18/12,Carnival Breeze 10/1/12,Azamara Quest TA 11/13/13,NCL Epic 2/22/14,Avalon Visionary 5/24/14,Carnival Splendor 9/27/14-Canada/NewEngland, Celebrity Millennium 3/15/15 -Asia. Serenade of the Seas 6/6/2015 -Norway/Fjords

Old May 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ghent?

Does anyone know if the train from here would go to Ghent? And any details? Thanks! Kate
Grand Princess 9/2001 almost
Grand Princess 7/2002 W. Caribbean
Royal Princess 9/2003 London -Rome
Star Princess 9/2004 Rome-Venice
Crown Princess 7/2006 NY- Caribbean
Star Princess 7/2007 The Baltics
Tahitian Princess 9/28/08 Hawaii & Tahiti
Grand Princess 9/5/09 European Cruise
Island Princess 8/12/10 Alaska Cruise Tour
Norweigan Epic Trans Atlantic 5/7/11 Miami-Barcelona
Norweigan Epic Rome to Barcelona 10/16/13
Norweigan Epic Barcelona-Miami Trans Atlantic 10/20/13

Old May 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kssafrg View Post
Does anyone know if the train from here would go to Ghent? And any details? Thanks! Kate
I would like to know, also. I have looked everywhere but can't fine it.

Thank you,

Judy

Old May 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kssafrg View Post
Here is the train information for Belgium: http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

To go to Ghent from Zeebrugge, you still have to go through Bruges and transfer at the main station. On the above web site, when you enter your starting point from Zeebrugge you have to indicate which station, Zeebrugge Strand or Zeebrugge Dorp. I know this is a neusance but necessary.
You need to buy a oneway ticket to Bruges on the Zeebrugge train and then at Bruges buy a roundtrip ticket to Ghent. If you have a shuttle to Blankenberg you can buy the roundtrip ticket to Ghent there before you board the train to Bruges, but I think you still have to transfer in Bruges.

I assume you have been to Bruges before????

Last edited by Lair Bear; May 14th, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

Old May 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Lair Bear - what would we do with out you? How do you know all this? Have you been there before?

Thanks again for all your answers to your questions.

Marion

Old May 15th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Shuttles

Quote:
Thanks, I can only hope that it will be the same this year in the ports.

Marion
Marion, I can only say that an organised nation like Belgium will not want 2200 people plus crew wandering about in their busiest ferry and cargo port, plus think of the cash they're going to take if they manage to get all those people off the ship and spending! The seaside town of Blankenberg is a friendly place for the unadventurous, where you can eat chips with mayo on the front, and sample some of the really wonderful Belgian beer-that's what we do these days, but we're used to driving off ferries there. Don't forget to buy the world famous chocolate- it'll be your last port of call!-jocap.

Old May 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocap View Post
Marion, I can only say that an organised nation like Belgium will not want 2200 people plus crew wandering about in their busiest ferry and cargo port, plus think of the cash they're going to take if they manage to get all those people off the ship and spending! The seaside town of Blankenberg is a friendly place for the unadventurous, where you can eat chips with mayo on the front, and sample some of the really wonderful Belgian beer-that's what we do these days, but we're used to driving off ferries there. Don't forget to buy the world famous chocolate- it'll be your last port of call!-jocap.
You make me laugh - you are so right. I know we will have a wonderful day in Belgium and I won't forget to get some of their famous chocolate.

Thanks!