Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Roatan

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 20th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Roatan Zip Line Death (MERGED THREADS)

FYI: I was just informed of the death of a Houston woman two weeks ago in Roatan on the Pirates of the Caribbean Zip Line EXTREME ZIP. The author of the post is a dear friend of our family.

Quote:
Sad news

One of our employees lost his wife in a freak accident yesterday while vacationing in Honduras. His wife and son went on a side trip to zip line over the rain forest and her harness broke. She fell hundreds of feet to her death as her son looked on. Her husband and their daughter were at a different location when it happened.

Please say a prayer for Glenn and his children as they go through this horrible time in their life.
Source: http://baytownsun.com/forums.lasso?e...daf9bb44d70387

Old March 20th, 2008, 05:57 PM
30,000+ Club

Default Woman dies in zipline accident in Roatan

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23730206/ A Texas woman on Roatan for vacation died when her harness snapped and she fell to the ground.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos)

Old March 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

All I have to say is WOW.....May god be with her....
It's a scary thing....

Old March 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

OMG!! What a tragedy. Prayers are with her family. Wonder what the circumstances were--what zipline? DH and I are booked for one with Victor Bodden Tours in April, will be anxious to hear the particulars.

Helen
1988 Sovereign of the Seas Eastern Carib 7 night
1988 Song of Norway Southern Carib 7 night
1989 Sun Viking Southern Carib 11 night
1990 Crystal Harmony Panama Canal 11 night
1991 Nordic Prince Southern Carib 11 night
1992 Monarch OTS Southern Carib 7 night
1993 Norwegian Wind Southern Carib 11 night
1994 Sun Viking Southern Carib 11 night
1994 Westerdam Canada 3 night
1995 Legend OTS Panama Canal 11 night
1996 Song of Norway Southern Carib 11 night
1997 Song of America Panama Canal 14 night
1998 Norwegian Sea W. Southern Carib 7 night
1998 Norwegian Sea E. Southern Carib 7 night
1999 Grandeur OTS Eastern Carib 7 night
2000 Vision OTS Pacific Northwest 3 night
2000 Vision OTS Panama Canal 14 night
2001 Radiance OTS Pacific Northwest 5 night (Helen)
2002 Grandeur OTS Ultimate Carib 11 night
2002 Radiance OTS Pacific Northwest 5 night
2002 Norwegian Sky Alaska 7 night
2005 Empress OTS Southern Carib 11 night
2006 Mercury Pacific Northwest 4 night
2006 Empress OTS Southern Carib 11 night
2007 Vision OTS Mexican Riviera 7 Night
2008 Empress OTS Southern Carib 11 night
2008 Norwegian Sun Panama Canal 19 night
2008 Mercury Pacific Northwest 4 night (Helen)
2008 Explorer OTS Southern Carib 12 night
2009 Norwegian Jewel Southern Carib 9 night
2009 Mariner OTS Pacific NW 7 Night
2009 Serenade OTS Alaska 7 night
2009 Norwegian Pearl Pacific Coast 5 Night
2009 Norwegian Pearl Panama Canal 14 night
2010 Serenade OTS Southern Carib 7 night
2011 Millennium Southern Carib 10 night

Old March 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

This accident happened on the one the Cruiseships uses called Gumbalimba park at Tabyanna beach. I heard the lady was pretty overweight not sure. This is a tragedy and goes to show that even with the ships tours tragedy can happen. As far as I know the only 2 of the 4 zip-lines that have 2 cables 1 for security and the other for the pulley would be the Gumbalimba one and the one my family did called South Shore. But as we see tragedy can happen sometimes. Hopefully it doesn't tarnish Roatans zip-line reputation because they're great. My sympathy for the families involved.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

This incident happened on The Cruiseship's excursion at Gumbalimba PArk and Tabyana beach break. IT did not occur at Pirates extreme one. This is a tragedy my heart reaches out to the owners of the zip-line and also the woman involved.

Old March 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

How HORRIBLE!!! We did the Jungle Canopy a couple of weeks ago & they had two cables as well. our guide made sure both cables were ALWAYS attached.

Old March 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

My mom just sent me a link to this story. My DH and I just did the South Shore one in Roatan in January. I felt sick when I read the story though. How sad. My prayers for the woman and her family.

Serenade of the Seas to Alaska- August 22, 2004
Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean- March 13, 2005
Grand Princess Western Caribbean- January 14, 2006
Explorer of the Seas to Canada/New England- August 31, 2007
Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean- January 13, 2008
Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean- August 31, 2008
Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean- March 8, 2009
Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean- December 6, 2009
Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean- April 4, 2010
Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean- January 9, 2011
Pride of America Hawaii- September 22, 2012
Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean- October 6, 2013

Old March 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasvhillecruise View Post
How HORRIBLE!!! We did the Jungle Canopy a couple of weeks ago & they had two cables as well. our guide made sure both cables were ALWAYS attached.
We also did Jungle Canopy two weeks ago and our guide was excellent (and always making certain both cables were attached, I paid close attention to that!!). But I also commented to my DH as we were walking to the zipline beforehand that I was surprised they didn't make you sign a waiver.

My heart goes out to this family, how tragic.

I think it's only natural this this incident is going to put enough fear into some people that it will prevent them from doing the zipline, similar to Steve Irwin's death.
RCCL Navigator of the Seas - December 2007
Carnival Valor - March 2008
Carnival Destiny - March 2010
Carnival Victory - Feb 2012

Last edited by Jeanne B; March 21st, 2008 at 07:50 AM.

Old March 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not to be alarmist, but doesn't it say that her harness broke? Since it wasn't the cable that broke, I'm not sure if a second cable would have done much good, depending on where that cable would have been attached.

It certainly gives me a lot to think about, since I was planning on doing this in a week and a half.... the poor woman and her family...

Ruby Princess Western Caribbean March 2009
Norwegian Sun Western Caribbean March 2008
Disney 4 Day April 2007

Old March 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garn View Post
Not to be alarmist, but doesn't it say that her harness broke? Since it wasn't the cable that broke, I'm not sure if a second cable would have done much good, depending on where that cable would have been attached.
You have a good point, it didn't register with me that it was the harness and not the cable that broke although it's probably too early to know whether or not the statements that are being made are factual. If she did in fact fall hundreds of feet that makes me think it WAS the extreme zipline since that one is over 300' at it's highest point (the others are 50-150 feet). But again, the "hundreds of feet" could be exaggerated. I thought I read somewhere that she was a heavy woman (and I saw a head shot of her and it did appear that she was heavy set) so I sure hope it wasn't a case where the zipline company let the weight limit be pushed. I read in posts prior to our cruise that someone can be slightly over the weight limit but as long as they can fit in the harness they'll let them go but it's not like they weigh you to determine whether or not you're over the limit.
RCCL Navigator of the Seas - December 2007
Carnival Valor - March 2008
Carnival Destiny - March 2010
Carnival Victory - Feb 2012

Old March 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainChemicals View Post
FYI: I was just informed of the death of a Houston woman two weeks ago in Roatan on the Pirates of the Caribbean Zip Line EXTREME ZIP. The author of the post is a dear friend of our family.

Source: http://baytownsun.com/forums.lasso?e...daf9bb44d70387
Where did you get the information that it was the extreme course at PotC? I have not seen a course named on any of the sources I have seen including the one you provided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USFcrew View Post
This incident happened on The Cruiseship's excursion at Gumbalimba PArk and Tabyana beach break. IT did not occur at Pirates extreme one. This is a tragedy my heart reaches out to the owners of the zip-line and also the woman involved.
Again, what is the source? I have read two separate articles stating the woman had been in the Honduras for a week which would indicate she and her family were on a land vacation and not a cruise ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
OMG!! What a tragedy. Prayers are with her family. Wonder what the circumstances were--what zipline? DH and I are booked for one with Victor Bodden Tours in April, will be anxious to hear the particulars.
We hired a driver through Victor Bodden 3 weeks ago while in Roatan on Voyager. DH did the extreme course at Pirates. This is the usual course Victor Bodden drivers will take you too. (Pirates also has a regular course in addition to the extreme.) I believe you can request South Shore though and be taken there instead.

-------------------------------------------

Okay, I realize info at this point is sketchy at best but I’m just looking for some more definitive answers. Seems there is a lot of hear-say going on as is to be expected in a case like this. I guess it hits close to home since my DH just did the extreme course at PotC 3 weeks ago. :::shudder::: The car ride up to the first platform to take a picture of him was more than adventurous enough for me!

And, for anyone interested, at this particular course I did not see any scales in evidence. As a matter of fact, two separate guides attempted to get me to step into a harness before the car ride to the first platform and I am close enough to the weight limit that I would think I should be weighed.

Hopefully more facts will come out in the days to come. Very tragic indeed. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

ETA: I edited out one of my quotes and comments as I now realize the source of the that particular post.

Previous cruises: RCCL Rhapsody - 12/5/04 - W Carib - First Cruise - 30th Anniversary;
RCCL Vision - 8/21/05 - Alaska Cruisetour - DH's 50th BD (corner aft JS 8588); RCCL Radiance - 8/19/06 - Alaska, the sequel; RCCL Splendour - 1/25/07 - Cozumel - 4 nighter; RCCL Voyager - 10/20/07 - Mediterranean (mid-aft JS 1694); RCCL Voyager - 2/24/08 - W Carib - 50th BD cruise & 1st as Diamond! - hump JS 9614; RCCL Independence - 2/21/09 - E Carib - hump JS 9348; Disney Magic - 9/19/09 - W Carib w/79yo Mom & 87yo Dad - Cat 3 suite; RCCL Oasis - 9/11/10 - E Carib w/80yo Mom & 88yo Dad - Central Park hump JS 8642/44 (connecting); RCCL Radiance - 12/11/10 - W Carib - 5 nighter; RCCL Voyager - 3/27/11 - Aft JS - W Carib - made us D+; RCCL Oasis - 12/3/11 - Crown Loft suite (free upgrade from JS!) - E Carib; RCCL Oasis - 12/10/11 - Central Park hump JS - W Carib; RCCL Oasis - 4/21/12 - Central Park hump JS - E Carib; RCCL Navigator - 11/24/13 - free upgrade from JS to GS! - W Carib

Last edited by Aprille; March 21st, 2008 at 10:59 AM.

Old March 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

My fiancee called me this morning to inform me of this horrible tragedy. We and another couple just returned from a cruise where we stopped in Roatan. Last Friday, March 14th we all did the Canopy, Gumbalimba Park and Tabyana Beach. I of course was curious as to where it exactly happened, I was directed to this site when searching. The news sites didn't mention any specifics. I am in shock. That poor woman and her family are in my prayers.
Someone mentioned that the woman fell hundreds of feet, I read that it was 65 ft.
God Bless
Tina

Old March 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Our prayers are with the family...

This is truly sad, and my prayers go out to the family. We just did the Victor Bodden tour a week ago Monday, and loved it. We felt very safe the whole time (well, maybe except for the van ride up to the first platform- that was very scary), and our guides helped us every step of the way. Part of our group did the extreme zip, and one member is a pretty big guy. They had no problem. It's sad to think of it this way, but now may actually be the safest time to zip line... I'll bet the crews are checking their gear way better now than they did in the past.

Old March 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Scared now

I just booked the Jungle zip line (the baby one of the 3) with bodden and I am scaredd now to do this!! Anyone else is the same boat!

Old March 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmarf View Post
We felt very safe the whole time (well, maybe except for the van ride up to the first platform- that was very scary)...
Thanks for the confirmation. I was beginning to think I was a wimp. As I stated in my previous reply, that car ride was adventurous enough for me and I just rode up there to take a picture of DH taking off from the first platform. Then I had to ride back down in the car. That wasn't any less scary.

july72807 - as ejmarf pointed out, this is probably the safest time to zip line (right after a fatal accident). They are probably being more diligent than ever. Still couldn't get me to do it. But I wouldn't do it before this either.

I really wish we knew which course it was. The only article I can find is the msnbc article. I found a story in a Seattle newspaper too but it was basically word for word the same. I'm off to Google some more...

Previous cruises: RCCL Rhapsody - 12/5/04 - W Carib - First Cruise - 30th Anniversary;
RCCL Vision - 8/21/05 - Alaska Cruisetour - DH's 50th BD (corner aft JS 8588); RCCL Radiance - 8/19/06 - Alaska, the sequel; RCCL Splendour - 1/25/07 - Cozumel - 4 nighter; RCCL Voyager - 10/20/07 - Mediterranean (mid-aft JS 1694); RCCL Voyager - 2/24/08 - W Carib - 50th BD cruise & 1st as Diamond! - hump JS 9614; RCCL Independence - 2/21/09 - E Carib - hump JS 9348; Disney Magic - 9/19/09 - W Carib w/79yo Mom & 87yo Dad - Cat 3 suite; RCCL Oasis - 9/11/10 - E Carib w/80yo Mom & 88yo Dad - Central Park hump JS 8642/44 (connecting); RCCL Radiance - 12/11/10 - W Carib - 5 nighter; RCCL Voyager - 3/27/11 - Aft JS - W Carib - made us D+; RCCL Oasis - 12/3/11 - Crown Loft suite (free upgrade from JS!) - E Carib; RCCL Oasis - 12/10/11 - Central Park hump JS - W Carib; RCCL Oasis - 4/21/12 - Central Park hump JS - E Carib; RCCL Navigator - 11/24/13 - free upgrade from JS to GS! - W Carib

Old March 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Death from Zip Line-Roatan...

A U.S. woman fell 65 feet to her death during a zip line ride through the jungle on the Caribbean island of Roatan, police said Thursday.
Barbara Sue Fojtasek, 44, was riding along a steel wire hung between trees in the jungle when a harness holding her apparently broke on Tuesday, Honduran police said in a news release.
Fojtasek was taken to a private clinic on the island, then transferred to a hospital in the mainland city of San Pedro Sula, where she died on Wednesday.

RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Dec 14, 2013. & Feb 7, 2015.
NCL Sky, 2013
Carnival Miracle, 2012
HAL Eurodam, 2009
Carnival Glory, 2008
Carnival Sensation, 2007

"And those who were seen dancing
were thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music"

They drove south one winter until they could stand outside with no coats on.......
and we never saw them again

Old March 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh how sad. My heart goes out to her family. Prayers for them!

NCL Getaway 01/2015, Liberty 05/2013, Legend 01/2010, Sensation 12/2008, Miracle 11/2006, Voyager of the Seas 12/2002, Triumph 11/2001, Oceanic 05/2000, Triumph 11/1999, Atlantic 10/1996

Old March 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
5,000+ Club

A thread already going on this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...php?p=13887982

A bad day on a cruise is always better than a good day at work...
Days `til our Mexican Riviera Cruise...
Pride..... May 2007
Victory... May 2006
Pride..... Sept 2004
Jubilee... Sept 1987

Last edited by Host Kat >^..^<; March 31st, 2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: thread moved from the incorrect forum and merged into existing thread

Old March 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne B View Post
You have a good point, it didn't register with me that it was the harness and not the cable that broke although it's probably too early to know whether or not the statements that are being made are factual. If she did in fact fall hundreds of feet that makes me think it WAS the extreme zipline since that one is over 300' at it's highest point (the others are 50-150 feet). But again, the "hundreds of feet" could be exaggerated. I thought I read somewhere that she was a heavy woman (and I saw a head shot of her and it did appear that she was heavy set) so I sure hope it wasn't a case where the zipline company let the weight limit be pushed. I read in posts prior to our cruise that someone can be slightly over the weight limit but as long as they can fit in the harness they'll let them go but it's not like they weigh you to determine whether or not you're over the limit.
The MSNBC articles says she fell from 65ft so it could have been any of them really...

Carnival Magic * Carnival Paradise * Carnival Victory * Carnival Freedom * Carnival Splendor x2 * Carnival Triumph * Carnival Liberty x2 * Carnival Miracle * Celebrity Century * Carnival Fantasy *