Brining Wine Onboard

antgonz

I am in the final days leading up to our cruise!! I know this topic has been well responded to but I am not sure what to do. I plan on checking wine in my bags (5 or 6 bottles). I doubt I am the first person to have checked that many bottles, however has anyone had any problems? Should I carry on three and check the rest. Realizing that I am in a pre-cruise state of "euphoric panic". Please let me know what you think. Many thanks in advance.

Hi Antgonz,

Each year we take several bottles of wine and "spirits" with us. We have never had a problem at all. We usually sail out of Port Canaveral. Last year we took about 8 bottles. We bubble wrapped each of them and placed a couple in our checked luggage (we also used our "seal-a- meal" on those!) and we carried the rest of them in our carry on. DH put a few in his bag and I had the rest in my bag. Going through the scanner the agent only said to me "Can I have a drink?". He did not so much blink about it. Again, we scattered them about so that the impact was not so great, but they were well aware that we had it. Hope this helps! Have a great trip.....I have 2 months and 8 days to go!!

Antgonz

We also bring several bottles aboard and gladly pay the $12.00 corkage in the dining room. If we do not finish one some evening (can’t imagine that J), the waiter will hold and bring back for the next night. My husband collects fine wines so we are certain that the wines he brings are not on the wine list.

We wrap each bottle in bubble wrap and place each wrapped bottle in a large Zip lock bag. We place 2-3 bottles in each of two bags that are sent through and have one in our carry on.

By the way - we also drive to port

Cheers

Marci

I have brought bottles of wine and champagne on all my cruises. I have asked the room stewards for wine or champagne glasses--or have gone to a bar and asked for them. Never been a problem.

Here is a good one for all those who debate the 'smuggling' of beer and liquor. On our first cruise, we sailed on 'Rhapsody of the Seas' out of San Juan in March '99. The port was attached to a duty free store. My husband and I and another couple we sailed with each carried on a CASE of beer and we each also had a fifth of liquor. We carried them on as we had been sight seeing before the ship set sail and had already been on board to drop off our carry ons. No one said a word. Our room steward kept beers cold on ice for us. I wonder if this was accepted at the time, and things have changed.

Lisa

I carry our wine & champagne in my carry-on. Have you seen how they THROW those bags around and how HIGH they pile them? <shudder> (and if there IS a leak, with cloth-covered luggage, it's not just YOUR stuff that gets wet.)

Carol

We always use airline-approved wine shipping boxes. They work beautifully. Have never had a problem with them--even when it looks like the baggage handlers (air or cruise) played soccer with them. It's easier than carry on and much easier, IMO, than bubble wrapping, bagging, and stuffing into my already pretty full suitcase. Plus we don't have to worry about drenching our clothes or anyone else's. If you want to check 6 bottles or more, it's a great solution.

beachchick

Airline-approved boxes can be purchased at most packaging/shipping stores (like the UPS store, etc.). Some office supply stores have them, but not all. If you are near any wineries, though judging by your location I suspect you are not, they should have them in all sizes. You might call around to packing and shipping stores in your area. They usually come in 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12 bottle sizes. Good luck.

beachchick

We have an upright softsided rolling ice chest that we always bring our wine in. We can fit around 6 bottles in it. It fits nicely in the overhead compartment in the airplane. We have never had a problem rolling it right on to the cruise ship. We tryed packing wine in a backpack, but it can be very heavy, so this works much better.

• 2 weeks later...

We just bought a "Wine back-pack" from Crate and Barrel... Actually at their outlet store in Alexandria VA... It's padded (but we're going to carry it) and has room from atleast 2 bottles and accessories, plus a small picnic lunch... It should be perfect for bringing wine from home onboard, a picnic lunch on shore days, and transporting several bottles of liquor home. I couldn't find the item on C&B's website, but I think you can find these back packs alot of places... Try a "Tote's" luggage store or any wine retailer.

We just got off of the AOS and carried on a combo of 6 bottles of wine and champagne and 4 Red Bulls in a wine box from the grocery store. We have a two wheeled cart that we put the wine box on and secured it with a bungee cord. We put it right through the security check and walked right on board with out any comments at all. We've done this on just about every cruise we've been on...with a few exceptions...and never had a problem.

Good luck!!!

Archived