Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Free cruise on Carnival?

I got a card that said I could get a free 7 day cruise with Carnival for simply taking a 90 minute tour at a time share in Branson. Has anyone else had this to happen, and is it legit? I'm sure I'll have to pay the taxes, port charges, and transportation, but it would still be worth it if it's a legitimate deal.

Rhapsody of the Seas, Galveston August 2006
Grandeur of the Seas, New Orleans March 2007
Mariner of the Seas, Port Canaveral October 2008
Mariner of the Seas, Los Angeles May 2010

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigasufan View Post
I got a card that said I could get a free 7 day cruise with Carnival for simply taking a 90 minute tour at a time share in Branson. Has anyone else had this to happen, and is it legit? I'm sure I'll have to pay the taxes, port charges, and transportation, but it would still be worth it if it's a legitimate deal.
Google the name of the company and see what comes up. Normally these deals have restrictions which includes sailing in the peak of hurricane season.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigasufan View Post
It's a time share sales gimmick,90 minutes can turn into hours of hell and pressure,especially if they are giving away a seven night cruise,you also have to facture in which port it leaves from and you most likely will have to pay to fly there,and you will get the worst cabin on the ship.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Watch out for those "taxes, port charges, etc". They will end up costing you about the same price as you can find on online TA's. Friends of ours did this for a 4 day cruise and the port charges, taxes ended up $299 per person. The same cruise was online for $249 PP + 40.00 in taxes and port charges PP.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone60 View Post
Watch out for those "taxes, port charges, etc". They will end up costing you about the same price as you can find on online TA's. Friends of ours did this for a 4 day cruise and the port charges, taxes ended up $299 per person. The same cruise was online for $249 PP + 40.00 in taxes and port charges PP.
This is exactly what happened to friends of ours.

Old April 4th, 2008, 12:07 AM
10,000+ Club

Forget about it, those are a joke, we went to a time share just to get a 3 day Paradise cruise, the agency what handle the certificate never honored it... First you submit the certificate via mail, then you get a form and you get to pick the 3 cruise dates they have to offer you, oh and get this, you pay 249.00 for port charges and taxes, this is what a 3 day cruise normally runs for Then you sit and wait, no one calls you, you dont get a booking number and when you do get a person and threaten to sue the heck out of them, they say the person that handled your paper work got fired so your papers got lost, Total scam, stay way. Those time shares are high pressure sales, be ready to go into battle.

Fred
04/09 Carnival Splendor Swine Flu Cruise, 11/08 Carnival Elation, 04/08 Carnival Paradise, 04/08 Carnival Freedom, 11/07 Carnival Elation, 04/07 Carnival Spirit, 09/06 Carnival Pride, 03/06 Carnival Valor, 10/05 Carnival Pride, 02/05 Carnival Spirit, 03/04 Carnival Spirit, 05/02 Carnival Paradise, 03/01 Carnival Triumph, 06/92 Princess Star Princess, 07/90 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas, 07/89 Carnival Holiday, 92 USS Juneau LPD-10, 85 USS Hoel DDG-13, 82 USS Elliot DD-967

Wennfred / Stay classy San Diego

Old April 4th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

We went to one in Myrtle Beach, held our ground saying no and got a voucher that allowed us to sign up for a vacation club that would then tell us the cruises which were available. Cost $100 for the club...well I have blown a $100 mant times so we used my credit card which offers a little protection and took a chance. Freds right, there is a lot of taxes and fees which made the cruise anything but free. However we cruised on the Pride of America in Hawaii for a week for $1000 total... the cruise was running about $1500 at the time so we "saved" about $500. We had no choice in the date or the room and the "travel agent" was useless... but we got our cruise.

Old April 4th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

When it comes to these 'free' gifts. You normally get what you
pay for. When I use to travel a lot for work I would get these
all the time. I believe several hotels names are tied one way
or another to the time share. But could be wrong.

GAZINGM42

Cruise Countdown Tickers

OCT 16, 2011 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean

06/20/2010 Carnival Valor Western Caribbean
03/14/2010 Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean
06/06/2009 Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean
06/18/2008 Carnival Spirit Alaska
05/27/2007 Carnival Valor Western Caribbean
10/07/2006 Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean
04/03/2006 Carnival Elation Western Caribbean
10/09/2005 Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean
06/30/2004 Carnival Spirit ALASKA
02/06/1994 Jubilee MEXICAN RIVIERA
04/23/1989 Tropicale MEXICAN RIVIERA
05/05/1985 Tropicale MEXICAN RIVIERA

Old April 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

I used to work at a bank that gave away "Free 2 Night Hotel Stay" coupons for new accounts and other incentives. These things were so cheesy, I hated even being associated with them. People had to mail in a voucher with an "activation fee," give their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices of dates and locations, no choice of actual hotels or rooms, lots of blackout dates, tax would still be charged, etc. It just did not seem worth the effort.
Carnival Miracle, January 2007 -- Carnival Inspiration, April 2007 -- Carnival Celebration, October 2007 -- Carnival Triumph, November 2008 -- NCL Norwegian Sky, February 2009 -- Carnival Inspiration, December 2009 -- RCL Radiance of the Seas, April 2011 -- Carnival Fantasy, February 2012 -- RCL Freedom of the Seas, November 2012 -- HAL Volendam, August 2013

Old April 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

No.... stay away... don't do it....nothing in life is free....

Old April 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM
5,000+ Club

Remember when they used to give away TVs and Dinner Certificates to attend these things

Old April 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am a pro at playing the condo game as we call it. I have received many nice "prizes" but that free cruise thing is as wennfred said, total crap.

I love playing the game so much I actually go out looking for THEM. I will take cash, show tickets, gift ertificates, gifts, but I will not take hotel room stays or free cruises. Usually by the time you pay the "fees" required you could have just bought it.

Bugatti Veyron 1000bhp 252mph
made by Volkswagon - anything is possible

Old April 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandofl View Post
It's a time share sales gimmick,90 minutes can turn into hours of hell and pressure,especially if they are giving away a seven night cruise,you also have to facture in which port it leaves from and you most likely will have to pay to fly there,and you will get the worst cabin on the ship.
My husband and I just back from a Branson "90 minute" timeshare deal. We were there for over 5 and a half hours listening to person after person tell us how wonderful this deal is for the timeshare. It was a beautiful resort but give me a break. How does 90 minutes turn into 5-6 hours. We had purchased tickets to go to a show and ended up missing the show because if we had left the tour we would have been charged for the cost of our hotel room which would have been $175 per night @ 2 nights. We ended up eating the cost of the tickets. I would not suggest going unless you can plan to spend the entire afternoon there. I would also check the restrictions on the cruise. I'm sure there will be plenty. I would suggest reading all the fine print and believe me, there will be plenty. Good Luck.

Old April 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

We did one of those tours for a "Free 3 day cruise including airfare" We had to mail in a certificate got info back in the mail only to find out that the closest airport for the "free airfare" was not even remotely close to us. What a crock. Don't go!!

Carniva
l Miracle 8/21/2005 (hurricane Katrina!)
Carnival Fantasy 9/21/2006
Carnival Fantasy 8/18/2008
Carnival Glory 5/10/2010