Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:14 AM
SSUnitedStates's Avatar
SSUnitedStates SSUnitedStates is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
Post Pride of Aloha, nay "Norwegian Sky"

Anyone heard any rumors/news about NCL opting not to transfer Pride of Aloha to Star, and instead renaming her back to her original name, Norwegian Sky, and having her sail 3-4 day Miami-Bahama cruises? This story was rumored on www.cruisebusiness.com but I can't find any other sources of information.

Last edited by SSUnitedStates; May 4th, 2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Bigdog49 Bigdog49 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENielsen View Post
Anyone heard any rumors/news about NCL opting not to transfer Pride of Aloha to Star, and instead renaming her back to her original name, Norwegian Sky, and having her sail 3-4 day Miami-Bahama cruises? This story was rumored on www.cruisebusiness.com but I can't find any other sources of information.
Check out the other threads here. All rumors but one poster just off the Sun posted the Captain said he is moving to the "Sky" and it would be doing 3/4 day from Miami.

That said others have posted links to other sites that still show the ship for sale.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=767460

Last edited by Bigdog49; May 4th, 2008 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,961
Default We're Hearing More...

We're hearing, at Cruise Critic's news desk, that the ship is going to have a major refurb -- something like five weeks in a shipyard -- before heading to Miami to sail, as noted here, three and four day cruises. "Norwegian Sky" will obviously be getting a casino and losing the Kumu Cultural Center.

We could have gone with this on Cruise Critic's news on Friday afternoon but have to give NCL the courtesy of time to reply and there was no immediate response to my request for info (though in light of the Norway news that came out Friday, I suspect they were swamped). But it's true -- and if we don't get a response by Monday morning we'll go with it based on our other sources.

I'm thinking that NCL doesn't want the news to come out before its sales systems are set up to handle bookings? Alas, companies can no longer just sit on info any more....

Stay tuned.

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:50 AM
SSUnitedStates's Avatar
SSUnitedStates SSUnitedStates is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
Smile Nice turn of events

Thanks for the quick reply. I sailed on the Aloha in 2005 and had a very enjoyable time.. yes, it was possible to enjoy this ship! I was disappointed to hear that she was going to transfer to Star, but this news certainly makes me optimistic. It will be interesting to see what changes during the course of the refurb.

I think this ship will do well out of Miami where her competition will be the Fascination and Majesty of the Seas. She's newer, competitively sized, will have a refurb before entering the market, and will have the Freestyle dining option.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
CruisinMaterial's Avatar
CruisinMaterial CruisinMaterial is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Merrimack Valley, MA USA
Posts: 9,637
Smile Nice to know it's semi-official!

The only part of Freestyle 2.0 that I wonder about on the NCL Sky is the buffet area. The NCL Sun's buffet area was small as it was but to put action stations in there would take away from places for people to sit during high food consumption times (eg breakfast, lunch & dinner rushes). Otherwise, I'd love to see the POA back on the East Coast. The NCL Sun is an awesome ship. Just right for cruisin'! Her sister Sky would be an awesome addition. Maybe they could switch the ships and stick Spirit down there and have Sky sail from Boston to Bermuda next year. That'd be AWESOME! (I'm just dreaming here...)
__________________
My Cruisin' History
Norwegian Breakaway 5/18/14 (BDA), Norwegian Star 1/5/14 (Panama Canal)
Norwegian Jewel 10/27/13 (AquaFest), Norwegian Breakaway 4/30/13 (Trans-Atlantic), Celebrity Millennium 3/3/13 (Asia ),
Norwegian Dawn 8/31/12, Norwegian Dawn 1/4/12,
Norwegian Spirit 8/28/11**, Norwegian EPIC 3/12/11, Norwegian Jewel 1/2/11
Norwegian Spirit 5/10, Norwegian Jewel 3/10 , Norwegian Sky 1/10, Norwegian Jewel 1/10,
Carnival Destiny 5/05 ,
Norwegian Spirit 5/09, Celebrity Solstice 3/09*, Crown Princess 1/09,
Norwegian Dream 5/08, Norwegian Sun 1/08, Norwegian Jewel 5/07,
Caribbean Princess 9/06, Star Princess 10/05**, Celebrity Millennium 8/04*,
Celebrity Millennium 1/04*, RCCL Splendour OTS 8/03*, Coral Princess 4/03, NCL Dawn 1/03*, Grand Princess 5/01
*denotes Atlantis voyage
**denotes voyage impacted by tropical weather
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
BeachBumMama BeachBumMama is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,362
Default

Okay, I'm getting my hopes up more and more and will say again, it's about time NCL had short cruise options. I've always thought they were missing the ship on this one by not offering short cruises. The 1 or 2 night cruises just isn't enough to justify airfare. Guess we'll just have to have a little patience for official word and when we can book.
__________________
Have fun wherever you may cruise!
If you can't play nice - then stay inside for recess!
You are not anonymous; your words reveal exactly who you are!
No towel animals - put your big girl panties on and deal with it!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Bennett'sCruise's Avatar
Bennett'sCruise Bennett'sCruise is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic View Post
We're hearing, at Cruise Critic's news desk, that the ship is going to have a major refurb -- something like five weeks in a shipyard -- before heading to Miami to sail, as noted here, three and four day cruises. "Norwegian Sky" will obviously be getting a casino and losing the Kumu Cultural Center.

We could have gone with this on Cruise Critic's news on Friday afternoon but have to give NCL the courtesy of time to reply and there was no immediate response to my request for info (though in light of the Norway news that came out Friday, I suspect they were swamped). But it's true -- and if we don't get a response by Monday morning we'll go with it based on our other sources.

I'm thinking that NCL doesn't want the news to come out before its sales systems are set up to handle bookings? Alas, companies can no longer just sit on info any more....

Stay tuned.

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
Carolyn ~

From your keyboard to NCL's ears! I, for one, am really hoping this story is true. We loved the Sky and would love to see her back where she belongs ... with NCL. Just wish NCL would put a 3/4 or a 4/5 out here on the West Coast.

~d
__________________
Dianne
NCL Platinum

Carnival Jubilee, 95(MexRiv); NCL Sky, 01(Alaska); RCI Vision, 02(MexRiv); NCL Star, 04(MexRiv); NCL Star, 05(Pacific Coastal); RCI Monarch 06(Baja); NCL Sun, 06(Panama Canal, Miami to San Francisco); RCI Radiance, 06(Hawaii, Los Angeles RT); RCI Monarch, 07(Baja); RCI Radiance, 07(Alaska Cruise Tour); NCL Dawn, 07(NE/Canada, New York RT); RCI Monarch, 08(Baja); RCI Monarch, 08(Baja); NCL Jewel, 08(Baltics, Dover RT); RCI Jewel, 09(Panama Canal, Miami RT); NCL Majesty, 09 (Bermuda); RCI Mariner, 09 (MexRiv); RCI Radiance, '10 (MexRiv); NCL Sun, '10 (Norway, Iceland, Ireland, Scotland, Shetland Is, Faroe Is.); NCL Sun, '10 (TA, Dover to Port Canaveral); Celebrity Infinity, '11 (Ultimate Alaska, 10-day); Carnival Inspiration, '12 (Baja escape); RCI Mariner, '12 (TA, Rome to Galveston); NCL Sun, '13 (Pacific Coastal); NCL Jewel, '14 (Alaska IV); NCL Jewel, '15 (Western Caribbean);
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,961
Default The Short Cruise Option

...is terrific and NCL needs it. But I've cruised twice on Pride of Aloha and I have to say -- I have adored the ship. So I"m personally excited about the possibility of this rumor.

My other fave NCL ship is Spirit. It's probably time to try Jewel/Gem/Pearl, LOL....

CSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumMama View Post
Okay, I'm getting my hopes up more and more and will say again, it's about time NCL had short cruise options. I've always thought they were missing the ship on this one by not offering short cruises. The 1 or 2 night cruises just isn't enough to justify airfare. Guess we'll just have to have a little patience for official word and when we can book.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:55 AM
coaster's Avatar
coaster coaster is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 967
Default

Cruise Critic as always is on the ball... I am very happy as 4 out of 5 of my cruises on NCL have been 4 nighters from Miami. I love cruising, but 7 nights is not my thing. Just to have year round cruises out of Miami is something to be thankful for. The summer cruises have not been around since the Norway last did them in 2002. Look forward to reading the news article from Cruise Critic.

Last edited by coaster; May 5th, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM
shipcafe's Avatar
shipcafe shipcafe is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,770
Default

I just got off the Pearl yesterday and also heard this information discussed by the Hotel Director at the VIP party. It was news to me when I heard it!
__________________
www.ShipCafe.net
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
cruizinwithkids cruizinwithkids is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,972
Default

A rumor I heard while on the Dawn regarding the Sky is possibly doing Bermuda runs.
__________________
Life's too short for wasting, for ifs and might have beens,
Life's too short for wondering if you could have lived your dreams.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 8,255
Lightbulb

I hope the Sky remains sailing from North America cities.
Whether it's Houston, Charleston, New Orleans, New York, or Miami.

But, a to be settled later part of the Apollo Management buy-in to NCL was the final accounting of the remaining Pride ships in Honolulu, both POAs. If NCL or Star wanted to keep both ships in NCLA, NCL would have had to pay Star Cruises approximately $550 Million by December 31st.

If either or both ships were pulled from NCLA, the Aloha ownership transferred to Star while the America remained with NCL. The Aloha has been pulled, and per NCL's previous press release, ownership of the Aloha will transfer to Star. NCL would only have to pay approximately a net of $200 million to keep the Pride of America.

Here's a link to the Reimbursement and Distribution Agreement.
http://www.secinfo.com/dsVsf.t1Q3.b.htm

POAmerica worth being $450 milliion minus its debt of $250 million
POAloha worth being $350 million with no debt.

Therefore, I believe Star will get ownership of the Aloha-Sky.
If the rumors prove true and the Sky will be sailing from Miami under NCL colors, I believe NCL will just lease her from Star for a sum significantly smaller than $350 million in cash.

Note: Star has the Aloha-Sky up for sale. I believe this rumor is a fall back plan if Star can't sell the Aloha-Sky to another cruise line.
I wonder where a dry or wet dock will be? Singapore, USA, or Bahamas? Where the dock occurs might suggest how the Aloha-Sky will be refurbished, and where and with whom it will be sailing. As Star and NCL would refurbish it differently.
__________________
Norwegian Spirit

Last edited by electricron; May 5th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
CruisinMaterial's Avatar
CruisinMaterial CruisinMaterial is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Merrimack Valley, MA USA
Posts: 9,637
Talking Boston wants Sky too!

Electricon - You forgot Boston! I would love Sky to be up this way. The NCL Sun is an awesome ship and her sister would probably be the same (although I've never sailed on her). Good job with the figures on the ships. They're expensive little buggers aren't they?

CSB - Have you heard of any ships in NCL's Fleet not getting the full 2.0 enhancements? There's rumors floating around here about the Dawn and Majesty not getting all the enhancements (some make sense not to do and I realize that but is there anything formal that you have from them saying exactly what they will be doing with those two ships sold to Louis? Maybe an idea for a story for you? )

~J
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:42 PM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 8,255
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMaterial View Post
Electricon - You forgot Boston! I would love Sky to be up this way. The NCL Sun is an awesome ship and her sister would probably be the same (although I've never sailed on her). Good job with the figures on the ships. They're expensive little buggers aren't they?

CSB - Have you heard of any ships in NCL's Fleet not getting the full 2.0 enhancements? There's rumors floating around here about the Dawn and Majesty not getting all the enhancements (some make sense not to do and I realize that but is there anything formal that you have from them saying exactly what they will be doing with those two ships sold to Louis? Maybe an idea for a story for you? )

~J
Boston is getting the Spirit next summer. I was thinking about the cities that don't have a ship, or will not have a ship, and wish they had two ships at times.

Historically, NCL has had one ship sailing from Boston during the summer Bermuda season. The Dream this year and the Spirit next year meets that traditional NCL commitment.

Can NCL get a dock in Miami every 3 to 4 days for the Sky?
Assuming NCL uses the smae cruise terminalks

There's a brand new cruise terminal in Houston that's free.
__________________
Norwegian Spirit
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM
CruisinMaterial's Avatar
CruisinMaterial CruisinMaterial is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Merrimack Valley, MA USA
Posts: 9,637
Default

Electricron - I know we're getting the Spirit next year and I'm actually excited about the arrival of some decent balcony cabins for the Boston run. You can take the Spirit and we'll take the Sky. Fair trade?

It would be interesting to see what NCL would do for pier space in MIA since all the other lines are there with numerous ships on most weekend turnaround days (including RCI & Carnival). It'd be nice to see NCL sail from Fort Lauderdale too but not with those big butt beasts from RCI pulling in there. FLL airport will be a disaster area on turnarounds after those ships are put to sea. Maybe you could have a ship in Houston after all!!
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Tatka's Avatar
Tatka Tatka is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Franklin, MA USA
Posts: 6,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMaterial View Post
The only part of Freestyle 2.0 that I wonder about on the NCL Sky is the buffet area. The NCL Sun's buffet area was small as it was but to put action stations in there would take away from places for people to sit during high food consumption times (eg breakfast, lunch & dinner rushes). Otherwise, I'd love to see the POA back on the East Coast. The NCL Sun is an awesome ship. Just right for cruisin'! Her sister Sky would be an awesome addition. Maybe they could switch the ships and stick Spirit down there and have Sky sail from Boston to Bermuda next year. That'd be AWESOME! (I'm just dreaming here...)

Why? I only sailed on Spirit, but my DH sailed on both Sun and Spirit, and while he liked Sun very much, he thought Spirit was even better. More special and unique. Ship was so nice that we had a great time despite some definite shortcomings (smal cabins, superlong and bad embarcation, very crowded pool area). Btw pool areas on Spirit are better.
__________________
Princess (Platinum) - Caribbean(06,09,10) ~ Ruby(08) ~ Grand(12)
Norwegian (Silver) - Sun(06) ~ Spirit(08) ~ Dawn(11) ~ Jewel(12) ~ Gem (12) ~ Breakaway(14)
Royal Caribbean
(Platinum) - Splendor(04) ~ Explorer(07,09,10) ~ Brilliance(13)
Celebrity - Century (03,07) ~ Mercury(05)
Holland America - Zuiderdam(04)
Carnival - Liberty(05) ~ Miracle(11) ~
Glory(13)
MSC - Poesia(13) review
~ Divina(14)
River Cruises
USSR
- Комарно (90,91)
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Bigdog49 Bigdog49 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMaterial View Post
It would be interesting to see what NCL would do for pier space in MIA since all the other lines are there with numerous ships on most weekend turnaround days
Simple with 3/4 night cruises no turnaround on the weekend. Fridays (3 night) and Mondays (4 nights)
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
CruisinMaterial's Avatar
CruisinMaterial CruisinMaterial is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Merrimack Valley, MA USA
Posts: 9,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatka View Post
Why? I only sailed on Spirit, but my DH sailed on both Sun and Spirit, and while he liked Sun very much, he thought Spirit was even better. More special and unique. Ship was so nice that we had a great time despite some definite shortcomings (smal cabins, superlong and bad embarcation, very crowded pool area). Btw pool areas on Spirit are better.
I guess it has to do with what each individual cruiser looks for in a ship. Sailing from Boston and being out on the open ocean means you will not be warm that much sunning yourself or in the pool as the temperature really never climbs. I'm not much of a pool person.

The hangouts on NCL Sun / NCL Sky are much more intimate yet spacious whereas the newer ships have tons of little places but small. I hope this makes sense! Either way, it'd be nice to have a "newer" ship sailing from Boston with more amenities than the NCL Majesty and Dream offer.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
CruisinMaterial's Avatar
CruisinMaterial CruisinMaterial is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Merrimack Valley, MA USA
Posts: 9,637
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog49 View Post
Simple with 3/4 night cruises no turnaround on the weekend. Fridays (3 night) and Mondays (4 nights)
Duh! I always think in terms of weekends for one of the turn arounds like NCLs current 9 day / 5 day rotation out of Miami where at the end of that rotation and the start of it (same day) would be on a weekend if you were taking them B2B. With the cost of airline tickets I wonder if that would actually be a much better idea or worse since flying during the weekdays is generally higher than the weekends. Things to ponder for sure!
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 8,255
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMaterial View Post
Electricron - I know we're getting the Spirit next year and I'm actually excited about the arrival of some decent balcony cabins for the Boston run. You can take the Spirit and we'll take the Sky. Fair trade?

It would be interesting to see what NCL would do for pier space in MIA since all the other lines are there with numerous ships on most weekend turnaround days (including RCI & Carnival). It'd be nice to see NCL sail from Fort Lauderdale too but not with those big butt beasts from RCI pulling in there. FLL airport will be a disaster area on turnarounds after those ships are put to sea. Maybe you could have a ship in Houston after all!!
Let's make the deal if Houston gets a NCL ship.

The only problem is, I don't think Houston will.

Assuming the Sky sails for NCL, whether owned outright by NCL or leased from Star Cruises, that gives NCL only four small ships (mega-sized or smaller than Panamax), not including the Dream and Majesty that will be gone by December 2009. Isn't it strange to be discussing ships as being small when all four are larger than the SS Norway in gross tons?
Here's the four mega-sized ships remaining into 2010:
Pride of America > Honolulu year 'round.
Sun > South America (winter) and Vancouver (summer)
Sky > Miami (winter) and possibly Charleston/New York (summer)
Spirit > New Orleans (winter) and Boston (summer)

Even if the Sky were to replace the Spirit in Boston during the summer months, it's not going to help Houston, 'cause Houston's cruises are winter cruises. So, I don't think we can make that deal.

I would think Bostonian would prefer having more balcony cabins available on the Spirit than what's aboard the Sky. The Sky also has more and smaller Inside cabins.

Spirit..................Sky
18........Suites.......14
392.....Balcony.....257
564...Oceanview...572
354......Inside......427

Bringing up another discussion point, if NCL sails the Sky for a while, what do you think it's new bow art should look like?
Sky Blue with wavy while clouds, or pitch dark with the moon, many stars, and an aurora streaks?
I think my second suggestion could be opposite but complimentary to the Sun's bow art.
__________________
Norwegian Spirit

Last edited by electricron; May 5th, 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.