Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Cunard Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cunard Line
Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Cunard Cruise Deals.

Old May 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Cunard Tours - Queen Victoria

Booked on the QV (Northern Europe 27th May)
Received great tour details and there are many listed for St. Petersburg
Can anyone advise the best tours for interest and value as we are not getting a visa and therefore have to join a tour if we wish to leave the ship.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

You can leave the ship without getting your own visa if you book a tour with a registered Russian tour company. The most reputable companies seem to be Denrus and Alla. I enquired with both of them and the quote is quite expensive i.e $588 p.p for 2 days for a group of 3, covering most of the places. you will have a English speaking guide and a driver. Hermitage, Peterhof Palace, Catherine Palace, St Isaac's Cathedral and the Nevsky Prospect and surrounding area are the must sees. I am interested to know what tours the QV offers for SP and its cost. I am going on the 18/7 cruise and haven't yet received anything from Cunard. I know they have half day tours but am wondering if these half day tours clashed in the schedule. Can you share some info on the tours, please?

Old May 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZZ View Post
You can leave the ship without getting your own visa if you book a tour with a registered Russian tour company. The most reputable companies seem to be Denrus and Alla. I enquired with both of them and the quote is quite expensive i.e $588 p.p for 2 days for a group of 3, covering most of the places. you will have a English speaking guide and a driver. Hermitage, Peterhof Palace, Catherine Palace, St Isaac's Cathedral and the Nevsky Prospect and surrounding area are the must sees. I am interested to know what tours the QV offers for SP and its cost. I am going on the 18/7 cruise and haven't yet received anything from Cunard. I know they have half day tours but am wondering if these half day tours clashed in the schedule. Can you share some info on the tours, please?
Assuming that the quotation is for two full days, then you are looking at less than $100 per person per day. There is no way that Cunard will be anything like that cheap. They want $729 for a car, driver and guide for one day for three people!!!!

The range of tours are shown on the webpage for each cruise.

Old May 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZZ View Post
Can you share some info on the tours, please?
MZZ,

if you contact me off-list I can send you a scan of the relevant pages from the pre-cruise brochure. Due to the UK bank holiday it will be Tuesday before I can do it though, if that is ok. You can contact me via my web-site (url in my signature).

Jimmy

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Dollar Bob View Post
Assuming that the quotation is for two full days, then you are looking at less than $100 per person per day. There is no way that Cunard will be anything like that cheap. They want $729 for a car, driver and guide for one day for three people!!!!
No. it's per person. the 3 of us will cost more than $1700, the tip $150 will be on top of that.

Old May 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are on the QV on June 22. We have booked a private tour of St. Petersburg based upon a company we heard about on these boards. It's called Red October, they have taken care of everything. I didn't like some of the Cunard options and we wanted to freedom to see things at our own pace.

Our shore excursion booklet & doc arrived at least a month ago which would be able 7 weeks before the cruise.
HAL Volendam - Jan 2003
Royal Olympic Explorer - Aug 2003
Cunard QM 2 - Jan 2004
Cunard QM 2 - Jan 2005
Celebrity Century - Sept 2005
RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Jun 2006
HAL Noordam - Feb 2007
Celebrity Galaxy - Aug 2007
HAL Oosterdam - Feb 2008
Cunard Queen Victoria - June 2008
HAL Statendam - Apr 2009
HAL Maasdam - Dec 2009
Celebrity Constellation - Apr 2011
Celebrity Millennium - Sept 2011
Cunard Queen Victoria - Dec 2011
Celebrity Solstice - April 2012
HAL Eurodam - Sept 2012
Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Dec 2012
Silversea Silver Spirit - Dec 2013
Avalon Impression - July 2014
Cunard Queen Mary 2 Dec 2014

Old May 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile St Petersburg tour

I was in St P. a few years ago and took Red October's tour. It was two days. We had 8 people in our van. We had a driver and guide. She even changed the itinerary so we could see the Petersboro Fountains, since they were not operating the first day. They are a good company.
G