Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default R.C.C.L Respond To Immersion Crisis, Please

We all know the cruise lines check this site from time to time. I also know from primary sources that ship staff spends a fair amount of time viewing our pages. So this "immersion crisis" of ours is not news to most employees of R.C.C.L. Therefore I am asking R.C.C.L to respond and define what a 'immersion" product is! I also would like to suggest that it is in R.C.C.L.'s best interest to get out in front of this! The sooner we know what we actually bought, the more time we have to adjust!

I believe that anticipation of a wonderful cruise is a major component of the cruise experience! This confusion we now suffer from has taken away, at least for me, that good pre-cruise feeling I normally have.

If I'm going to have to make "adjustments" for my cruise the minimum I expect from R.C.C.L. are the facts, and as much time as possible to adjust!

alicedean2001@msn.com
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/image...ine=1213891009

Oceanic 1972

RCL Explorer of the Seas 2003

RCL Adventure of the Seas 2004

RCL Brilliance of the Seas 2005

RCL Brilliance of the seas 2006

RCL Brilliance of the seas 2007

RCL Adventure of the seas 2007

RCL Jewel of the seas 2008

Viking River Cruises 2009

RCL Radiance of the seas 2010

RCL Radiance of the Seas 2011

RCL Allure of the Seas 2012

RCL Allure of the Seas 2013

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can you really call this a crisis?

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1185 View Post

It is for those of us who spent ( hotel, air..etc) $14,000 on a product we didn't want in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddean52 View Post
We all know the cruise lines check this site from time to time. I also know from primary sources that ship staff spends a fair amount of time viewing our pages. So this "immersion crisis" of ours is not news to most employees of R.C.C.L. Therefore I am asking R.C.C.L to respond and define what a 'immersion" product is! I also would like to suggest that it is in R.C.C.L.'s best interest to get out in front of this! The sooner we know what we actually bought, the more time we have to adjust!

I believe that anticipation of a wonderful cruise is a major component of the cruise experience! This confusion we now suffer from has taken away, at least for me, that good pre-cruise feeling I normally have.

If I'm going to have to make "adjustments" for my cruise the minimum I expect from R.C.C.L. are the facts, and as much time as possible to adjust!
If it's that big of a concern, why don't you just call the C&A desk?

Next Cruise:

Cruise Countdown Tickers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Past cruises:
RCI - Enchantment of the Seas - Jan 6, 2002 - Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau) PIC'S
HAL - Westerdam - Jan 26, 2008 - Southern Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, Aruba, Curacao) PIC'S REVIEW
RCI - Liberty of the Seas - Jan 24, 2009 - Western Caribbean (Labadee, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel) PIC'S & VID'S REVIEW
RCI - Radiance of the Seas - Jun 28, 2011 - Alaska Cruise Tour 19 (Anchorage, Denali, Talkeetna, Seward, Hubbard Glac., Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Pt., Ketchikan, Canadian Inside Passage) PIC'S & VID'S REVIEW
RCI - Majesty of the Seas - Nov 5, 2011 - 4-Day Bahama's Girls Only (Nassua, Coco Cay, Key West)
RCI - Adventure of the Seas - Jan 27, 2013 - Southern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados) PIC'S & VID'S REVIEW

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It is for those of us who spent ( hotel, air..etc) $14,000 on a product we didn't want in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are completely right to be concerned where you have spent so much money. I agree with the OP that RCL should explain better.

For sure they will not try to ruin your cruise and I strongly doubt that any Jewel cruise will be an immersion - it does not make sense, 75% of the clients will be American or British and there will not be any other countries significantly represented.

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1185 View Post

Mark my words, this will turn out to be a crisis for RCCL. I was a huge fan of this cruise line! I retired early, Alice and I took 2 cruises last year and planed to do 2 this year and in the years to come do at least 3 cruises or more per yr. Should our June, immersion cruise not be to our liking, I.E.

1) English not spoken by ship staff
2) Excursions in a forging laungage
3) Food totally forging
3) Smoking area expanded
4) Entertainment in forging language
5) Euros as on board currency
7) Meal times drastically different
Then we will find other cruising vendors to give our money too!!

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Crown & Anchor

I did call Crown and Anchor and the answers to my questions were "I don't know, really", "I can't say for 100% sure" and things like, "I would imagine", "I would think", etc. I wish they would have answers for us, surely they would expect questions!!

I took 3 cruises on RCCL and I liked them - they had smoking and non-smoking areas, and no toplessness - if they now change that after I have another one (two actually but no air yet with the second one) booked, with air paid for and hotel paid for, that's not right. I never would have chosen it to begin with!!

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think if you're willing not to do anything too exotic, you don't have to worry about "immersion".

My husband and I always cruise from an American port on itineraries where we know that most of our fellow passengers will be American. We just feel more comfortable that way.

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Many people on our roll call have called and t.a's have called on our behalf. I agree that it is not logical for a cruise line to ruin its own product!! Having said that however, this is what we have been told;
1) food
2) language
3) ship retail
3) ship entertainment

have been changed to reflect the culture of the port

We are leaving from England!!!!!!!!

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Last edited by ddean52; May 28th, 2008 at 01:16 PM.

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Mark my words, this will turn out to be a crisis for RCCL. I was a huge fan of this cruise line! I retired early, Alice and I took 2 cruises last year and planed to do 2 this year and in the years to come do at least 3 cruises or more per yr. Should our June, immersion cruise not be to our liking, I.E.

3) Food totally forging
3) Smoking area expanded
I will say it again - this was not our experience. The only difference was the change of dining times - we moved to 1st sitting at 8:00. None of the other fears were there.

There is a problem with an immersion cruise - that is that Americans will be in the minority - you cannot get away from that fact, whatever else is changed.

Upcoming cruises:

Previous cruises:
Brilliance of the Seas - Scandinavia August 2002; Splendour of the Seas - Mediterranean June 2003; Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean March 2004; Jewel of the Seas - British Isles and Norwegian Fiords - June 2004; Brilliance of the Seas - Short break Mediterranean October 2004; Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean May 2005; Sea Princess - Canada / New England October 2005; Costa Victoria - Brazil January 2006; Amadeus Amadaggio - Danube river cruise May 2006; Celebrity Constellation - Baltic May 2007; Splendour of the Seas - Transatlantic December 2007; Splendour of the Seas - South America Christmas December 2007; Independence of the Seas - Inauguration celebration April 2008; Navigator of the Seas - Mediterranean June 2008; Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas April 2009; Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic April 2009; Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Mediterranean September 2009; Oasis of the Seas - Labadee December 2009; Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal and South America December 2009; Celebrity Equinox - Eastern Mediterranean September 2010; P & O Azura - English Channel short cruise April 2011; Vision of the Seas - Short Amsterdam / Copenhagen Cruise April / May 2011; Celebrity Equinox - Greek Islands September 2011; Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean December 2011; Majesty of the Seas - 4-night Bahamas April 2012; Mariner of the Seas - Transatlantic May 2012; Celebrity Silhouette - Transatlantic December 2012; Celebrity Silhouette - Adriatic June 2013

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:

3) Food totally forging
3) Smoking area expanded

For sure a huge crisis for RCCL to come

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I too agree. Just let us know what the real deal is. Then we can make an informed decision. Too many different responses by staff that obviously do not know exactly what is going on with these cruises. I have been given conflicting information on every question I asked. I have written a LETTER and e mailed corporate offices, no response as yet. I will give them a few more days to respond before I cancel.

Brad185, While this is not a crisis in the true sense of the word, it is a major pain in the .......and will cost me dollars and precious time to find a replacement vacation, not easy in our situation. Not everyone can be flexible with dates, cabins, etc.

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

THAT is the real problem here: you can call but you will get a different answer depending on who you speak to! We were contacted by our TA who told me verbatim what she was told by telephone call initiated by RCL. I told her get us on the trip before our booked one which was the same itinerary but in reverse. She called me back and said they told her that one would also be an immersion. That set off the firestorm. I am now hearing that the Asian immersion cruises will ONLY be the short cruises and not the 14n we are on. what gives? Is RCL changing its corporate mind about this or were we given wrong info in the first place? Are we or are we not booked on an immersion cruise so that we may make an informed decision about whether to go or cancel?

Last edited by Ms Understood; May 28th, 2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling, duh

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

3) Food totally forging
3) Smoking area expanded
1) Do you really think that they will change the entire staff and run examinations to ensure that they can't speak English? English will be the SECOND language on the ship, just not the first.

2) Excursions will be offered in English as long as there are enough customers asking for English.

3) Totally foreign food? So you think that the Spanish eat daisies, hay and hard boiled seaweed? No one has said that. Most food is international in nature and while they may add a few local dishes, there should be plenty to eat.

3) (Again, look above, it's not my fault!) This is a crisis? People are dying every day in wars all over the earth and this is a crisis?

4) Yup, all comedy in a foreign language, only foreign language music as well. You aren't even allowed to sit in the theatre if you are American-English speaking. Flamenco dancers dancing to Spanish music.. the horror, it would be better if they did Flamenco to Madonna songs from the 80s. (Sarcasm is definitely implied)

5) What REAL difference does the currency onboard make? If it's USD 8 or EUR 5 there is no real difference, other than the fact that some people don't know how to use a calculator and certainly can't manage to type 8 USD in EUR in google. Hey, maybe the world should switch to using USD everywhere just to make it easier for American tourists.

7) So, it was okay when the Spanish had to eat early to accommodate you, but not acceptable when you have to eat later to accommodate them?

This isn't a crisis at all. This is just another hysteric thread beating a dead horse.
Golden Princess - S. Caribbean 07/04
Golden Princess - S. Caribbean 07/04
Golden Princess - S. Caribbean 05/05
Regal Princess - Mexican Riviera 10/05
NCL Spirit - S. Caribbean 10/06
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Transatlantic East 04/07
RCI Voyager of the Seas - Europe 05/07
RCI Radiance of the Seas - Alaska & Pacific Coast 09/07
Caribbean Princess - E. Caribbean 10/07
Star Princess - S. America 03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Transatlantic West 12/08
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 01/10
Caribbean Princess S. Caribbean 04/10
Costa Magica - S. Mediterranean 11/10
Costa Pacifica - E. Mediterranean 11/10
Crown Princess - W. Caribbean 04/11
Oceania Insignia - Transatlantic East 03/12
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - E Caribbean 11/12
Crown Princess - Transatlantic East 04/13
Pacific Princess - Med. 11/13
Sapphire Princess - Orient 01/15

Okay, who put the stop payment on my reality cheque?

Email me!

Last edited by Ephraim; May 28th, 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

1) English not spoken by ship staff Most of them don't speak english well anyway
2) Excursions in a forging laungage Only adds to the flavor of new places & people
3) Food totally forging
3) Smoking area expanded this could be an issue
4) Entertainment in forging language This would be interesting and expand your horizon
5) Euros as on board currency You use sail & sign anyway?
7) Meal times drastically different Eat in the Windjammer or your cabin
I guess I do not totally understand why you are so upset. But partly because I do not really understand what an "Immersion" cruise entails. Plus the fact I think some of the things you stated could make for an interesting trip, something outside the box.

Years ago our family had to move, our 13 year old son was NOT excited about it and did not want to go. However he had no choice, I told him "Look, you got two choices go and be absolutely miserable, or go and look at it as a new adventure and make the best of it." He made the best of it. So if you can not get answers and you can not get money back...............Don't let it make you crazy, go and look at it as an adventure you might just have the best cruise every. Never let anyone steal your joy!!!

steps off soap box gently backs up..........

Grandeur 1/4/10,
Grandeur 1/05/09, Sovereign 9/08/08,
Sovereign 7/04/08, Mariner 5/11/08
Sensation 9/16/07, Legend 10/31/06
Fantasy 01/01/04,Glory 5/22/04
Pride 6/03,Sensation 5/00

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down

Time for RCCL to explain !!

jj.....

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
20,000+ Club

All Indy cruises leaving from Southampton will be classed as Immersion Cruises ...it is called this to let Europe/World know that a large majority of people onboard are from the UK.

The onboard currency will be DOLLARS

Liz
Imma Critter # 1
Elizanessie@aol.com

International Critters Gear QN 11/2 Maiden -http://www.cafepress.com/internation...rsmaidenvoyage
(double click link)
International Critters Gear QN 11/23 Inaugural -http://www.cafepress.com/internationalcritters
(double click link)

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

What!!??!! They're trying to make the cruises from the UK appeal to UK cruisers??? How dare they!

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I could care less if I'm in the minority!!!! I just want to be able to particpate!!!! Find food I like. Enjoy the entertainment..etc.....you know....like I'm on a cruise!!

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old May 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Crisis?? HUH??

What crisis?

Do you really think RCCL has to discuss their business decisions with the passengers?

Believe me, they don't. RCCL owes no explanation of their marketing strategy to you or anyone else.... They answer only to their stockholders on these decisions.

There isn't any crisis here....if you want an American experience all the time......stay in the U.S. and go to a State Park.