Wine Package (over) Analysis

Okay, so I've been curious about how good a deal the Wine & Dine Package is. Then I saw Critterchick's typing of the wine list (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=788927#post14967328) and that was the motivation to compare the wine list and the Wine & Dine Package list

Of course I went overboard, but thought maybe some of you would like to overly analyze the deal too. (If I can figure it out) I'll attach a copy of the PDF file that I made.

Notes:

-Where it lists the savings if it is blank that means it's better to buy the wine separately than choose it in the package.

-When I say good deal I'm only comparing the wine list price with the package price. When compared to the grocery store / liquor store price none are a good deal, but that's not really a fair comparison and I left it out.

-If you see a typo / mistake let me know and I'll fix it.

-The package prices (and wine list prices) don't include the 15% gratuity.

-I got the wine & dine lists from the RCI website.

-I got the wine & dine prices from the RCI website (then deducted the 15% gratuity).

RCIWinePackage.pdf

Okay, so I've been curious about how good a deal the Wine & Dine Package is. Then I saw Critterchick's typing of the wine list (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=788927#post14967328) and that was the motivation to compare the wine list and the Wine & Dine Package list

Of course I went overboard, but thought maybe some of you would like to overly analyze the deal too. (If I can figure it out) I'll attach a copy of the PDF file that I made.

Notes:

-Where it lists the savings if it is blank that means it's better to buy the wine separately than choose it in the package.

-When I say good deal I'm only comparing the wine list price with the package price. When compared to the grocery store / liquor store price none are a good deal, but that's not really a fair comparison and I left it out.

-If you see a typo / mistake let me know and I'll fix it.

-The package prices (and wine list prices) don't include the 15% gratuity.

-I got the wine & dine lists from the RCI website.

-I got the wine & dine prices from the RCI website (then deducted the 15% gratuity).

Nice job. In my opinion it would be even better if you included the Gold wines in all packages and the platinum in the Diamond and show it as a negative if applicable at the average cost per bottle as in your survey.

Spelling tip. At least one version of Pinot Grigio lacks a T.

jc

I think it is a wonderful idea especially when travelling in a small group - we buy the package together and split the cost and once onboard there is no more of this - oh who is cheap buying the cheapest bottle or trying to top the Jones every evening. We choose a white, red and blush for the table and everyone helps themselves to what they like best. You didn't like the red last night - choose another tomorrow. Noone feels they "overpaid"

First of all, BRAVO!!!

My version looks like chicken scratch. I came up with similar figures and it seems they give the biggest breaks on only a couple of winemakers. Your tool may help people who are trying to decide whether or not it is worth it.

I have pre purchased 2 x 7 Gold packages for our 14 night on IOS. Even if you had the cheapest bottle from the package every night you would be saving at least $1 per bottle........so that pays for a free bottle during the trip. In reality we will be saving a lot more by choosing different wines every night.

Hope this info helps!:confused::)

We usually get the Gold package as we like to order the two whites (bin 48 & 266) and two reds ( bin 430 & 521) that offer the most savings with that selection. As I have pointed out in past posts, these wines are also offered on the Diamond and Platimum packages but offer less savings with those packages.

IMO it's best to pick a package that offers the most savings for the wines you typically like.

Wow, great job. I was deciding whether to order a package for our next cruise and now if I do, I will know where to find the best bargains.
The best bargain is to buy the Gold package unless you only purchase the wines that were added for the better package(s). Otherwise, you're paying the higher price for a lesser wine. This is one of the ways RCI makes more money off of them.

Wow, great job. I was deciding whether to order a package for our next cruise and now if I do, I will know where to find the best bargains.

I agree, great job. Thanks for sharing, much appreciated!

Great job. Thanks, Woof!

In my opinion it would be even better if you included the Gold wines in all packages and the platinum in the Diamond and show it as a negative if applicable at the average cost per bottle as in your survey.

Spelling tip. At least one version of Pinot Grigio lacks a T.

I think I did what you suggested (and fixed the typo). The trouble is when I print it it's tough to see the little negatives.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad it's useful.

thanks so much! mind if i post this on my blog? i'll, of course, credit you.

No problem.

RCIWinePackage-v2.pdf

Thanks for your work! We usually get the platinum package and order the Rioja and the Pinot Grigio so your analysis confirmed we were getting a good deal. Cheers!

Ditto from us:D

And thanks.

Thanks very much for all your work. I'd much rather be a wino than a whiner.

My husband and I aren't huge wine drinkers here at home, but we do enjoy a bottle every now and then, and when we go out to dinner.

We bought a wine and dine package last year (I think it was the Platinum 10 bottle) and this year we went with the Diamond 10. No special reason for upgrading to Diamond other than the "what the hell, we're on vacation" attitude my husband had when I asked which I should order this year.

I really like the idea of having a package; having it paid for in advance, and when we traveled with our friends (who also bought packages) last year it was nice to have a bottle of champagne at the table before we ordered our meal, in addition to our wine with dinner.

Archived