Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Spain Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Spain Ports Barcelona, Ibiza, Mallorca, Seville

Old June 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Barcelona HOHO bus question

DW and I will be arriving in Barcelona on a Sunday before our cruise leaves on Monday.....Do the HOHO busses run on Sunday???

Thanks for the help.

Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 12/06
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) 7/07
Adventure of the Seas (Barbados route) 10/07
Adventure of the Seas (Aruba route) 02/08
Celebrity Millennium (Alaska II) 07/08
Celebrity Century (Western Mediterranean) 10/08
Celebrity Summit (Southern Caribbean) 02/09
Celebrity Century (Scandinavia & Russia) 07/09
Mariner of the Seas (Mexican Rivera) 02/10
Holland-Nieuw Amsterdam (Mediterranean Empires) 09/10
Holland-Nieuw Amsterdam (Eastern Caribbean) 02/11

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustcruisemore View Post
DW and I will be arriving in Barcelona on a Sunday before our cruise leaves on Monday.....Do the HOHO busses run on Sunday???

Thanks for the help.
It appears to run daily. Have a great cruise.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelon...FR30IgodTFcQWQ

Marie

Old June 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExaltHim View Post
It appears to run daily. Have a great cruise.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelon...FR30IgodTFcQWQ

Marie
Thanks for the quick reply and link!

Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 12/06
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) 7/07
Adventure of the Seas (Barbados route) 10/07
Adventure of the Seas (Aruba route) 02/08
Celebrity Millennium (Alaska II) 07/08
Celebrity Century (Western Mediterranean) 10/08
Celebrity Summit (Southern Caribbean) 02/09
Celebrity Century (Scandinavia & Russia) 07/09
Mariner of the Seas (Mexican Rivera) 02/10
Holland-Nieuw Amsterdam (Mediterranean Empires) 09/10
Holland-Nieuw Amsterdam (Eastern Caribbean) 02/11

Old June 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM
5,000+ Club

You are very welcome. I will be stopping there in November.

Marie

Old June 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
10,000+ Club

Be sure before you pay for the Barcelona HOHO. Its not always a smart buy depending on where you want to spend your day. The major tourist area is centered around the Ramblas where everything is walkable (including the nearby Gothic Quarter). The Sagrada Familia is a little far for many walkers, but its hard to justify the cost of the HOHO for that one attraction since you can always grab a taxi or use a local bus. The HOHO is a great way to see lots of the city, but for $32 a person you should be sure it meets your needs.

Hank

Old June 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlitner View Post
Be sure before you pay for the Barcelona HOHO. Its not always a smart buy depending on where you want to spend your day. The major tourist area is centered around the Ramblas where everything is walkable (including the nearby Gothic Quarter). The Sagrada Familia is a little far for many walkers, but its hard to justify the cost of the HOHO for that one attraction since you can always grab a taxi or use a local bus. The HOHO is a great way to see lots of the city, but for $32 a person you should be sure it meets your needs.

Hank
Also, if you combine Hanks suggestion with the Barcelona Metro to reach some must see locations, it is quite easy to use.

See this site for complete maps: Barcelona Metro

Also see Bus Turistic for an alternative tourist bus service.

cgan76
My Barcelona Trip Report

Old June 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

In preparation for our upcoming trip, we've also had advice from others who have been to Barcelona, to pay attention to how many ships are in port that day before you buy your Ho Ho tickets as they found there wasn't room to get on because there were so many passengers in town that day. They ended up wasting their Ho Ho fare and walking.

2015 Coral I & II - Galapagos Western & S. Eastern Islands
2013 RCI Voyager of the Seas - Exotic Asia
2013 HAL Veendam - Canada & New England
2012 NCL Star - Western Caribbean
2012 Celebrity Silhouette - Adriatic & Mediterranean
2012 Carnival Fantasy - Charleston, Key West & Bahamas
2011 Celebrity Millennium - Alaska
2010 Royal Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia
2009 Emerald Princess - Scandinavia & Russia
2009 Crown Princess - British Isles
2009 MS Royal Ruby - Nile River Cruise
2008 Grand Princess - Western Mediterranean
2008 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2007 Regal Princess - Panama Canal (cancelled at embarkation)
2006 Louis Pearl - Greece & Turkey
1996 RCI Song of Norway - Mexican Riviera
1987 Sun Princess - Eastern Caribbean

Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default HOHO Barcelona

Just returned last week from a cruise on the Norwegian Jade and did the HOHO in Barcelona through Viator since I wanted to pay in US$.

You cannot present the printed coupon on boarding the bus but must walk about 15 minutes to the Tourist Office to exchange it for a ticket. Then you must find the stop for the HOHO.

I would not make an advanced booking again for this HOHO, because even paying in Euros it seems easier to buy the ticket at the kiosk where you disembark the shuttle from the ship. The HOHO buses are also here. In addition, you spend time walking to the Tourist Office that could be better spent sightseeing.

Viator does not advise you of this exchange.

There was quite a long line that day and most pax wanted to be on the top deck. Many chose not to board the bus if they could only sit on the inside.

If you are booking advanced tours through Viator remember to purchase insurance coverage. The Jade by-passed Malaga because of a bus strike and we were not refunded because unfortunately we had not purchased that insurance.

Old June 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just returned from Barcelona and had a 2 day pass for the HOHO. There was a 6E difference to add the 2nd day. We found the bus to be wonderful. Never any lines. We always had to top deck. Only bother with the blue and red lines. The green is only a 40 minute ride through an industrial area.
We got on an off all day exploring different areas. Of course the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell were wonderful, but the blue line to Montjuic was great. Use your coupon book and take the cable car. A little corny, but great views.

Old June 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgan76 View Post
Also, if you combine Hanks suggestion with the Barcelona Metro to reach some must see locations, it is quite easy to use.

See this site for complete maps: Barcelona Metro

cgan76
My Barcelona Trip Report
Great info on your blog!

But Memories: Millenium Wine Cruise 2012; Equinox TA Cruise; Polar Bear Reunion Radiance of the Seas 12-6; LOS Halloween 2010; Monarch of the Seas, June 2009; Barcelona + Cruise [url="http://www.freewebs.com/voyager11292008/"]cruise website Sovereign of the Seas 4/28/08 ; Radiance of the Seas C&A Members Cruise 9/14/07 Photos Polar Bear website!; Serenade of the Seas Carribean C&A Members 01/27/07 View the C&A cruise here; Radiance of the Seas Panama Canal 10/07/06 View the Radiance Gondiolers here; Serenade of the Seas- Hawaii 9/05[/color]; Serenade of the Seas-Alaska 8/04; Enchantment of the Seas-Western Carib 12/02; Celebration-Western Carib 11/99

Old June 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenkf View Post
We just returned from Barcelona and had a 2 day pass for the HOHO. There was a 6E difference to add the 2nd day. We found the bus to be wonderful. Never any lines. We always had to top deck. Only bother with the blue and red lines. The green is only a 40 minute ride through an industrial area.
We got on an off all day exploring different areas. Of course the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell were wonderful, but the blue line to Montjuic was great. Use your coupon book and take the cable car. A little corny, but great views.
Agree with everything here

We visited in mid May and never had any lines for the buses. I know some people say travel by foot or by Metro but neither of those give you the perspective and views that the top deck of a bus can. You also have the added advantage of the commentary which gives you lots of factual information.

On our visited later in the year we'll definitely do the HOHO again.

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgan76 View Post

cgan76
My Barcelona Trip Report
Bus Turistic is the same as the Barcelona HOHO

Rhapsody of The Seas, Brilliance of The Seas
Been to the Caribbean 5 times, Alaska 3 times, The Med once.
Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse ºoº
~ Heather ~

Old July 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default T10 vs Barcelona Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlitner View Post

Hank
Hi Hank,
Can the Barcelona card also be shared w/ other family members like the T10 or we need to get one for each member?

Old July 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are two services in Barcelona. The Bus Turistic ones are the ones that have the red, blue and green lines, there is also another Barcelona Tours bus.

We used the Bus Turistic on Saturday and Sunday two weeks ago, and rarely had difficulty with the lines. We agonised whether or not to do it, because I'd read this thread before leaving for Barcelona in June, and knew the metro was a cheaper option.

I'm delighted we did use the bus. Over the course of the two days, we did the red and blue lines twice, and found the highlights were outside the main town, particularly at Montjuic, where we took the Telerific cable car to the castle / military museum, and got a great view of Island Escape leaving port, passing Norwegian Gem in the process on the Sunday.

I only wish we'd known to be there the evening before to watch Navigator of the Seas pass Voyager OTS as she left port.

Lines were rarely an issue, and only once did we end up taking a "downstairs" seat, only to be guided back upstairs by a staff member as soon as some people left at the next stop.

The other piece of advice I would offer is, providing you don't have mobility issues, get off at the Park Guell stop and brave the short uphill walk. It was far and away our favourite place in Barcelona.

We ended up getting just over 20% of what we paid back through money off coupons at the Aquarium, the Teleferic and Mc Donalds.

Previous cruises
Navigator of the Seas - Western Med - 06/08
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 10/09
Vision of the Seas - Baltic - 08/10
Adventure of the Seas - Portugal & Gibraltar - 10/11 Picture Review

Old July 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bus Turistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madra2112 View Post
There are two services in Barcelona. The Bus Turistic ones are the ones that have the red, blue and green lines, there is also another Barcelona Tours bus.

We used the Bus Turistic on Saturday and Sunday two weeks ago, and rarely had difficulty with the lines. We agonised whether or not to do it, because I'd read this thread before leaving for Barcelona in June, and knew the metro was a cheaper option.

I'm delighted we did use the bus. Over the course of the two days, we did the red and blue lines twice, and found the highlights were outside the main town, particularly at Montjuic, where we took the Telerific cable car to the castle / military museum, and got a great view of Island Escape leaving port, passing Norwegian Gem in the process on the Sunday.

I only wish we'd known to be there the evening before to watch Navigator of the Seas pass Voyager OTS as she left port.

Lines were rarely an issue, and only once did we end up taking a "downstairs" seat, only to be guided back upstairs by a staff member as soon as some people left at the next stop.

The other piece of advice I would offer is, providing you don't have mobility issues, get off at the Park Guell stop and brave the short uphill walk. It was far and away our favourite place in Barcelona.

We ended up getting just over 20% of what we paid back through money off coupons at the Aquarium, the Teleferic and Mc Donalds.
Appreciate your sharing.

Old July 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all the information and sharing from those who have been on the bus - I thought I must be particularly dim as it always seemed that the HOHO was the same as the Bus Turistic (thank you for pointing out that they are). We will be in Barcelona in October and will probably use the bus to get an overview of the city. (Can rest the feet too which I am sure will be welcome).

Old July 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default yes!

I pre-purchased (through expedia in Dollars) what I thought was "the" HOHO bus...... it was a good deal and very cheap for the second day....
It turned out to be Barcelona Bus Tours. (There are several HOHO companies!) We thought it ours great. No lines, we always walked right on, and sat on top. Our vouchers got us right on, no need for any other ticket exchange lines.
We were not able to come close to seeing everything we wanted our first afternoon, so we were glad to have bought the 2 day tickets.
Only complaint--at times the audio-earphone recording for the bus tour was a bit difficult to understand.
RC Radiance 7/2004
Princess Sapphire 8/2006
Carnival Miracle 12/2006 Review Part 2
RC Brilliance March 2007
RC Radiance March 2008

NCL Jewel Dec 2008

Old July 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
Hi Hank,
Can the Barcelona card also be shared w/ other family members like the T10 or we need to get one for each member?

Well, unless they have changed the card it does not have a photo attached. So, it could be used by another person (assuming you give them the card). But, each person in a group would need their own card (including children) and you are talking about $40 per person. Its a good deal if you plan to take advantage of a few of the included admission deals.

Hank

Old July 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Barcelona HoHo bus is one of the best in the Med and a great way to see the City

Old July 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Re my earlier post - Some pictures

Taken using zoom from Montjuic Castle

I could talk for hours about the view from the Teleferic cable cars. Alternatively, I can keep my mouth shut and just post this

I can't comment on the Barcelona Tours company, but when you see the blue and red lines mentioned, this is the bus being referred to

Previous cruises
Navigator of the Seas - Western Med - 06/08
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 10/09
Vision of the Seas - Baltic - 08/10
Adventure of the Seas - Portugal & Gibraltar - 10/11 Picture Review

Last edited by madra2112; July 19th, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling