Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Spain Ports
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Spain Ports Barcelona, Ibiza, Mallorca, Seville

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
mustcruisemore's Avatar
mustcruisemore mustcruisemore is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Yukon OK
Posts: 209
Default Barcelona HOHO bus question

DW and I will be arriving in Barcelona on a Sunday before our cruise leaves on Monday.....Do the HOHO busses run on Sunday???

Thanks for the help.
__________________


Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 12/06
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) 7/07
Adventure of the Seas (Barbados route) 10/07
Adventure of the Seas (Aruba route) 02/08
Celebrity Millennium (Alaska II) 07/08
Celebrity Century (Western Mediterranean) 10/08
Celebrity Summit (Southern Caribbean) 02/09
Celebrity Century (Scandinavia & Russia) 07/09
Mariner of the Seas (Mexican Rivera) 02/10
Holland-Nieuw Amsterdam (Mediterranean Empires) 09/10
Holland-Nieuw Amsterdam (Eastern Caribbean) 02/11
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM
FlorenceItaly's Avatar
FlorenceItaly FlorenceItaly is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustcruisemore View Post
DW and I will be arriving in Barcelona on a Sunday before our cruise leaves on Monday.....Do the HOHO busses run on Sunday???

Thanks for the help.
It appears to run daily. Have a great cruise.


http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelon...FR30IgodTFcQWQ


Marie
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
mustcruisemore's Avatar
mustcruisemore mustcruisemore is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Yukon OK
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExaltHim View Post
It appears to run daily. Have a great cruise.


http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelon...FR30IgodTFcQWQ


Marie
Thanks for the quick reply and link!
__________________


Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 12/06
Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) 7/07
Adventure of the Seas (Barbados route) 10/07
Adventure of the Seas (Aruba route) 02/08
Celebrity Millennium (Alaska II) 07/08
Celebrity Century (Western Mediterranean) 10/08
Celebrity Summit (Southern Caribbean) 02/09
Celebrity Century (Scandinavia & Russia) 07/09
Mariner of the Seas (Mexican Rivera) 02/10
Holland-Nieuw Amsterdam (Mediterranean Empires) 09/10
Holland-Nieuw Amsterdam (Eastern Caribbean) 02/11
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM
FlorenceItaly's Avatar
FlorenceItaly FlorenceItaly is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,208
Default

You are very welcome. I will be stopping there in November.



Marie
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hlitner Hlitner is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: New Cumberland,PA, USA
Posts: 17,642
Default

Be sure before you pay for the Barcelona HOHO. Its not always a smart buy depending on where you want to spend your day. The major tourist area is centered around the Ramblas where everything is walkable (including the nearby Gothic Quarter). The Sagrada Familia is a little far for many walkers, but its hard to justify the cost of the HOHO for that one attraction since you can always grab a taxi or use a local bus. The HOHO is a great way to see lots of the city, but for $32 a person you should be sure it meets your needs.

Hank
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM
cgan76 cgan76 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlitner View Post
Be sure before you pay for the Barcelona HOHO. Its not always a smart buy depending on where you want to spend your day. The major tourist area is centered around the Ramblas where everything is walkable (including the nearby Gothic Quarter). The Sagrada Familia is a little far for many walkers, but its hard to justify the cost of the HOHO for that one attraction since you can always grab a taxi or use a local bus. The HOHO is a great way to see lots of the city, but for $32 a person you should be sure it meets your needs.

Hank
Also, if you combine Hanks suggestion with the Barcelona Metro to reach some must see locations, it is quite easy to use.

See this site for complete maps: Barcelona Metro

Also see Bus Turistic for an alternative tourist bus service.

cgan76
My Barcelona Trip Report
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM
banditoo's Avatar
banditoo banditoo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Langley B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,916
Default

In preparation for our upcoming trip, we've also had advice from others who have been to Barcelona, to pay attention to how many ships are in port that day before you buy your Ho Ho tickets as they found there wasn't room to get on because there were so many passengers in town that day. They ended up wasting their Ho Ho fare and walking.
__________________
Betty

2015 Coral I & II - Galapagos Western & S. Eastern Islands
2013 RCI Voyager of the Seas - Exotic Asia
2013 HAL Veendam - Canada & New England
2012 NCL Star - Western Caribbean
2012 Celebrity Silhouette - Adriatic & Mediterranean
2012 Carnival Fantasy - Charleston, Key West & Bahamas
2011 Celebrity Millennium - Alaska
2010 Royal Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia
2009 Emerald Princess - Scandinavia & Russia
2009 Crown Princess - British Isles
2009 MS Royal Ruby - Nile River Cruise
2008 Grand Princess - Western Mediterranean
2008 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2007 Regal Princess - Panama Canal (cancelled at embarkation)
2006 Louis Pearl - Greece & Turkey
1996 RCI Song of Norway - Mexican Riviera
1987 Sun Princess - Eastern Caribbean
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
cruising Baje cruising Baje is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Default HOHO Barcelona

Just returned last week from a cruise on the Norwegian Jade and did the HOHO in Barcelona through Viator since I wanted to pay in US$.

You cannot present the printed coupon on boarding the bus but must walk about 15 minutes to the Tourist Office to exchange it for a ticket. Then you must find the stop for the HOHO.

I would not make an advanced booking again for this HOHO, because even paying in Euros it seems easier to buy the ticket at the kiosk where you disembark the shuttle from the ship. The HOHO buses are also here. In addition, you spend time walking to the Tourist Office that could be better spent sightseeing.

Viator does not advise you of this exchange.

There was quite a long line that day and most pax wanted to be on the top deck. Many chose not to board the bus if they could only sit on the inside.

If you are booking advanced tours through Viator remember to purchase insurance coverage. The Jade by-passed Malaga because of a bus strike and we were not refunded because unfortunately we had not purchased that insurance.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
ellenkf ellenkf is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Default

We just returned from Barcelona and had a 2 day pass for the HOHO. There was a 6E difference to add the 2nd day. We found the bus to be wonderful. Never any lines. We always had to top deck. Only bother with the blue and red lines. The green is only a 40 minute ride through an industrial area.
We got on an off all day exploring different areas. Of course the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell were wonderful, but the blue line to Montjuic was great. Use your coupon book and take the cable car. A little corny, but great views.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
bdoster's Avatar
bdoster bdoster is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Rainbow City, AL, USA
Posts: 5,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgan76 View Post
Also, if you combine Hanks suggestion with the Barcelona Metro to reach some must see locations, it is quite easy to use.

See this site for complete maps: Barcelona Metro

Also see Bus Turistic for an alternative tourist bus service.

cgan76
My Barcelona Trip Report
Great info on your blog!
__________________
Barb
To date 135 days at sea


But Memories: Millenium Wine Cruise 2012; Equinox TA Cruise; Polar Bear Reunion Radiance of the Seas 12-6; LOS Halloween 2010; Monarch of the Seas, June 2009; Barcelona + Cruise [url="http://www.freewebs.com/voyager11292008/"]cruise website Sovereign of the Seas 4/28/08 ; Radiance of the Seas C&A Members Cruise 9/14/07 Photos Polar Bear website!; Serenade of the Seas Carribean C&A Members 01/27/07 View the C&A cruise here; Radiance of the Seas Panama Canal 10/07/06 View the Radiance Gondiolers here; Serenade of the Seas- Hawaii 9/05[/color]; Serenade of the Seas-Alaska 8/04; Enchantment of the Seas-Western Carib 12/02; Celebration-Western Carib 11/99
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Bobal's Avatar
Bobal Bobal is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Herts, U.K.
Posts: 3,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenkf View Post
We just returned from Barcelona and had a 2 day pass for the HOHO. There was a 6E difference to add the 2nd day. We found the bus to be wonderful. Never any lines. We always had to top deck. Only bother with the blue and red lines. The green is only a 40 minute ride through an industrial area.
We got on an off all day exploring different areas. Of course the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell were wonderful, but the blue line to Montjuic was great. Use your coupon book and take the cable car. A little corny, but great views.
Agree with everything here

We visited in mid May and never had any lines for the buses. I know some people say travel by foot or by Metro but neither of those give you the perspective and views that the top deck of a bus can. You also have the added advantage of the commentary which gives you lots of factual information.

On our visited later in the year we'll definitely do the HOHO again.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
prophotogirl's Avatar
prophotogirl prophotogirl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 2,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgan76 View Post

Also see Bus Turistic for an alternative tourist bus service.

cgan76
My Barcelona Trip Report
Bus Turistic is the same as the Barcelona HOHO
__________________
My Avatar is my winning photo for the 2011 Spring Issue of the Captain's Circle Quarterly Magazine!
Dawn Princess x2, Caribbean Princess x2, Sun Princess, Island Princess, Ruby Princess

Rhapsody of The Seas, Brilliance of The Seas
Been to the Caribbean 5 times, Alaska 3 times, The Med once.
Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse ºoº
~ Heather ~

Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Froogal's Avatar
Froogal Froogal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 128
Default T10 vs Barcelona Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlitner View Post
Be sure before you pay for the Barcelona HOHO. Its not always a smart buy depending on where you want to spend your day. The major tourist area is centered around the Ramblas where everything is walkable (including the nearby Gothic Quarter). The Sagrada Familia is a little far for many walkers, but its hard to justify the cost of the HOHO for that one attraction since you can always grab a taxi or use a local bus. The HOHO is a great way to see lots of the city, but for $32 a person you should be sure it meets your needs.

Hank
Hi Hank,
Can the Barcelona card also be shared w/ other family members like the T10 or we need to get one for each member?
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
madra2112's Avatar
madra2112 madra2112 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Donegal, Ireland
Posts: 403
Default

There are two services in Barcelona. The Bus Turistic ones are the ones that have the red, blue and green lines, there is also another Barcelona Tours bus.

We used the Bus Turistic on Saturday and Sunday two weeks ago, and rarely had difficulty with the lines. We agonised whether or not to do it, because I'd read this thread before leaving for Barcelona in June, and knew the metro was a cheaper option.

I'm delighted we did use the bus. Over the course of the two days, we did the red and blue lines twice, and found the highlights were outside the main town, particularly at Montjuic, where we took the Telerific cable car to the castle / military museum, and got a great view of Island Escape leaving port, passing Norwegian Gem in the process on the Sunday.

I only wish we'd known to be there the evening before to watch Navigator of the Seas pass Voyager OTS as she left port.

Lines were rarely an issue, and only once did we end up taking a "downstairs" seat, only to be guided back upstairs by a staff member as soon as some people left at the next stop.

The other piece of advice I would offer is, providing you don't have mobility issues, get off at the Park Guell stop and brave the short uphill walk. It was far and away our favourite place in Barcelona.

We ended up getting just over 20% of what we paid back through money off coupons at the Aquarium, the Teleferic and Mc Donalds.
__________________



Previous cruises
Navigator of the Seas - Western Med - 06/08
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 10/09
Vision of the Seas - Baltic - 08/10
Adventure of the Seas - Portugal & Gibraltar - 10/11 Picture Review
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Froogal's Avatar
Froogal Froogal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 128
Default Bus Turistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madra2112 View Post
There are two services in Barcelona. The Bus Turistic ones are the ones that have the red, blue and green lines, there is also another Barcelona Tours bus.

We used the Bus Turistic on Saturday and Sunday two weeks ago, and rarely had difficulty with the lines. We agonised whether or not to do it, because I'd read this thread before leaving for Barcelona in June, and knew the metro was a cheaper option.

I'm delighted we did use the bus. Over the course of the two days, we did the red and blue lines twice, and found the highlights were outside the main town, particularly at Montjuic, where we took the Telerific cable car to the castle / military museum, and got a great view of Island Escape leaving port, passing Norwegian Gem in the process on the Sunday.

I only wish we'd known to be there the evening before to watch Navigator of the Seas pass Voyager OTS as she left port.

Lines were rarely an issue, and only once did we end up taking a "downstairs" seat, only to be guided back upstairs by a staff member as soon as some people left at the next stop.

The other piece of advice I would offer is, providing you don't have mobility issues, get off at the Park Guell stop and brave the short uphill walk. It was far and away our favourite place in Barcelona.

We ended up getting just over 20% of what we paid back through money off coupons at the Aquarium, the Teleferic and Mc Donalds.
Appreciate your sharing.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Aussieflyer's Avatar
Aussieflyer Aussieflyer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 1,847
Default

Thanks for all the information and sharing from those who have been on the bus - I thought I must be particularly dim as it always seemed that the HOHO was the same as the Bus Turistic (thank you for pointing out that they are). We will be in Barcelona in October and will probably use the bus to get an overview of the city. (Can rest the feet too which I am sure will be welcome).
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
cck0000's Avatar
cck0000 cck0000 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 362
Default yes!

I pre-purchased (through expedia in Dollars) what I thought was "the" HOHO bus...... it was a good deal and very cheap for the second day....
It turned out to be Barcelona Bus Tours. (There are several HOHO companies!) We thought it ours great. No lines, we always walked right on, and sat on top. Our vouchers got us right on, no need for any other ticket exchange lines.
We were not able to come close to seeing everything we wanted our first afternoon, so we were glad to have bought the 2 day tickets.
Only complaint--at times the audio-earphone recording for the bus tour was a bit difficult to understand.
__________________
Connecticut Cruisin' Family
Disney Wonder 3/1999
Disney Magic 11/2000
RC Radiance 7/2004
Princess Sapphire 8/2006
Carnival Miracle 12/2006 Review Part 2
RC Brilliance March 2007
RC Radiance March 2008

NCL Jewel Dec 2008
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hlitner Hlitner is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: New Cumberland,PA, USA
Posts: 17,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
Hi Hank,
Can the Barcelona card also be shared w/ other family members like the T10 or we need to get one for each member?

Well, unless they have changed the card it does not have a photo attached. So, it could be used by another person (assuming you give them the card). But, each person in a group would need their own card (including children) and you are talking about $40 per person. Its a good deal if you plan to take advantage of a few of the included admission deals.

Hank
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM
CrusinLiberty2006 CrusinLiberty2006 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 61
Default

The Barcelona HoHo bus is one of the best in the Med and a great way to see the City
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
madra2112's Avatar
madra2112 madra2112 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Donegal, Ireland
Posts: 403
Default

Re my earlier post - Some pictures



Taken using zoom from Montjuic Castle

I could talk for hours about the view from the Teleferic cable cars. Alternatively, I can keep my mouth shut and just post this



I can't comment on the Barcelona Tours company, but when you see the blue and red lines mentioned, this is the bus being referred to

__________________



Previous cruises
Navigator of the Seas - Western Med - 06/08
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 10/09
Vision of the Seas - Baltic - 08/10
Adventure of the Seas - Portugal & Gibraltar - 10/11 Picture Review

Last edited by madra2112; July 19th, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.