Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old July 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post U.K. Couple Billed for £900 Fuel Charge

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

U.K. Couple Billed for £900 Fuel Charge

Read the entire news article...

Old July 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
5,000+ Club

I do not blame them. That is an outragous price to pay for a fuel charge. What will the cruise line do when fewer and fewer passengers go on their line due to this fee. Isn't that about equivilent to like $31 American dollars. WOW....
Carnival Liberty-2007 First cruise with no children.
Carnival Splendor-2009 Swine Flu Cruise Loved San Fran
Carnival Dream-2010 Great cruise
Carnival Valor- 6 Days is much to short.
Carnival Splendor Do Over-2012 Much to cold. Met alot of great people.
Carnival Liberty-October 2013 Found 2 great places to return. Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay
Carnival Liberty September Sisters Cruise. Great do over for the third time.

Old July 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
5,000+ Club

£900 = $1783.08 US

http://www.dollars2pounds.com/

Old July 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjo View Post
Isn't that about equivilent to like $31 American dollars. WOW....
$1,780.03

Old July 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
5,000+ Club

I meant per Euro not totally. So I was high. I thought it was more like over 2,000.00 Guess I should have clearified what I meant. Still at that nuch no thank you to cruise.
Carnival Liberty-2007 First cruise with no children.
Carnival Splendor-2009 Swine Flu Cruise Loved San Fran
Carnival Dream-2010 Great cruise
Carnival Valor- 6 Days is much to short.
Carnival Splendor Do Over-2012 Much to cold. Met alot of great people.
Carnival Liberty-October 2013 Found 2 great places to return. Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay
Carnival Liberty September Sisters Cruise. Great do over for the third time.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

that s close to a 10% increase in their fare..so much for the
great deal they may have gotten

Old July 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy

I guess I cross them off my list of lines I will sail in the future. I am retired and could not afford the surcharge. Thanks for warning us.

Old July 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjo View Post
I meant per Euro not totally. So I was high. I thought it was more like over 2,000.00 Guess I should have clearified what I meant. Still at that nuch no thank you to cruise.
UK isn't euros, they are still british pounds... Big difference..

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old July 11th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default US Agents

Mark - I don't know how you managed to book with a US agent, even through the internet. Whenever I've tried I've been told that the cruise lines don't allow it unless you have a US or Canadian address. I've resigned myself to paying in £s what our fellow passengers pay in $s, but it irks. However, on the plus side, we do reap the benefit of the exchange rate when we shop in the US, so it's not all bad.

We're always being encouraged to book early, but I have cruised with this company in the past and have been disappointed to discover that people who booked later than me got a much better deal. Seems they adjust their prices to suit the situation.

Old July 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
Mark - I don't know how you managed to book with a US agent, even through the internet. Whenever I've tried I've been told that the cruise lines don't allow it unless you have a US or Canadian address. I've resigned myself to paying in £s what our fellow passengers pay in $s, but it irks. However, on the plus side, we do reap the benefit of the exchange rate when we shop in the US, so it's not all bad.

We're always being encouraged to book early, but I have cruised with this company in the past and have been disappointed to discover that people who booked later than me got a much better deal. Seems they adjust their prices to suit the situation.
Ancientmariner,

We are from the UK and have booked all our HAL cruises through a US travel agents with no problem. When we travelled with Cunard last year, we had to do this with a UK agent or direct with Cunard.

Have a surf around next time you're booking and contact a few of the big US internet TA's.

Good luck
Queen Mary II, Westbound Crossing November 2009
Eurodam, Eastern Canada & US, October 2008
Independence of the Seas, 4 Day Cruise to Ireland, May 2008
Queen Mary II, Caribbean, Nov 2007
Oosterdam, Mexican Riveria, Jan 2007
Westerdam, Eastern Caribbean, Dec 2005
Millennium, Western Med, May 2003
Mercury, Panama Canal, Nov 2001
Zenith, Bermuda, Sept 2000

Old July 11th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm also from the UK & booked my upcoming cruise through a US agent. My tickets came through last weekend..no problem.

I have one booked after this which I booked in the UK as I couldn't get a better price on that particular one. As mentionned above, some cruise lines will allow it, some won't, but it's always worth shopping around to see what deals can be done.

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM
5,000+ Club

Fuel charge on my flight to Glasgow in September is 450.00 per ticket (the ticket only cost 500pp + tax) so basically double.

.... . .

Old July 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default what's interesting

What is most interesting about this article is that upon survey 50% of folks said they would not stop cruising even given increasingly high fuel surcharges. Since the cruiselines actually do READ these boards, I think that for everyone who says "I'll cruise at any price" they are doing a disservice to everyone who, at some point, are going to have to say "UNCLE."

Yes, I love to cruise. Probably too much, if there can be such a thing. But I can't compromise other things in order to do so and there will be a point when the "affordable" cruises are just no longer affordable. If I had a 19pound daily fuel surcharge, I'd be in a position to have to cancel that cruise, too.

I only wish that more folks would express their displeasure with the rising fuel surcharges by voting with their feet (or their words on this forum.) Cruiseline profits are HUGE by anyone's standards; why do they feel that they can pass this on instead of taking it in the profit line as so many other businesses have been forced to do in order to stay solvent?
Island Princess, Oct 2014; Carnival Legend, July 2014; Ruby Princess, March 2014; Caribbean Princess, March 2013; HAL Ryndham, Dec 2012; Carnival Ecstasy, May 2012, Caribbean Princess, March 2011; Crown Princess Thanksgiving 2010; Emerald Princess, Easter 2010; Disney Magic, Thanksgiving 2009; Disney Magic, June 2009; Costa Concordia (BEFORE she sank!) Thanksgiving 2008; Enchantment of the Seas, March 2008; Costa Magica, March 2007; Costa Magica, December 2006; Mariner of the Seas, June 2006; Mariner of the Seas, March 2006; Grandeur of the Seas, Christmas 2005; Mariner of the Seas, March 2005; Carnival Fascination, October 2004; Disney Wonder, May 2003

Old July 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgsmom View Post
What is most interesting about this article is that upon survey 50% of folks said they would not stop cruising even given increasingly high fuel surcharges. Since the cruiselines actually do READ these boards, I think that for everyone who says "I'll cruise at any price" they are doing a disservice to everyone who, at some point, are going to have to say "UNCLE."

Yes, I love to cruise. Probably too much, if there can be such a thing. But I can't compromise other things in order to do so and there will be a point when the "affordable" cruises are just no longer affordable. If I had a 19pound daily fuel surcharge, I'd be in a position to have to cancel that cruise, too.

I only wish that more folks would express their displeasure with the rising fuel surcharges by voting with their feet (or their words on this forum.) Cruiseline profits are HUGE by anyone's standards; why do they feel that they can pass this on instead of taking it in the profit line as so many other businesses have been forced to do in order to stay solvent?

Please clarify what you mean. I thought that to say "UNCLE" means to quit fighting, surrender to the "Bully" and give into thier terms. I don't think this is what you meant, right?

What businesses are taking it in the profit line, not the gas stations, food stores, airlines etc. In fact the only businesses that I've heard of that have not raised thier prices, slashed their service or down sized their product in order to avoid raising thier prices are business that hedged thier fuel costs by buying future contracts at a fixed price. As soon as these contracts are used you can bet your last dollar that they too will raise their prices, slash their services or down size their product. So why should the cruise lines not pass the cost of doing business on to the consumer like everyone else?

More pressure needs to but on our governments to deal with this problem by stopping the speculators, developing more of our own oil and gas reserves and alternative fuel sources so that we are not dependent on forgiegn suppliers that what to impose their will, culture and religion on us but cannot beat us in fair fight so they are trying to bankrupts i n order to buy our country out from under us, in my opinion.

In the mean time we are going to have to suck it up and vote with our feet. if you do not like the price or can't afford it don't buy it - go buy else where. Supply and demand will soon bring the prices back into line.
Carnival Cruises, Victory, Mar/2001, 7 day Western Caribbean
Carnival Cruises, Victory, Mar/2001, 7 day Eastern Caribbean
Holland America, Volendam, Sep/2003, 7 day Alaska Inside Passage
MSC Cruises, Lirica, Dec/2006, 11 day Deep Caribbean
Norwegian Cruises, Pride of Hawaii, Apr/2007, 7 day Hawaiian Islands
Princess Cruises, Tahitian Princess, Aug/2007, 10 day French Polynesian Islands
Carnival Cruises, Pride, Sep/2007, 7 day Mexican Riviera
Carnival Cruises, Imagination, Nov/2007, 5 day Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Cruises, Sun, Dec/2007, 7 day Central America
MSC Cruises, Lirica, Dec/2007, 10 day Deep Caribbean

quester1

Old July 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Loss of large deposit

"After paying the deposit, the couple were told that based on a £19 per person, per night fuel tax, they'd need to shell out an additional £892. So they decided to cancel the cruise and get their deposit refunded.

No dice. The sting in the tail for the Bennetts is that the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) states that if you're cancelling a cruise you've booked because of excessive fees, the amount must add up to more then 10 percent of the price.

The Bennetts' surcharge came to 9.92 percent."

I doubt the American cruise consumer would put up with loosing 900 pounds deposit on a September cruise, because they didn't want to pay an additional 892 pounds fuel surcharge.

The cruise industry may soon learn that many cruisers, like myself, will no longer book cruises in advance like we used to.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old July 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

The big difference between booking any kind of holiday/cruise in the UK is if you Cancel you loose your deposit and often an awful lot more on a sliding scale depending on how close to the sailing date

Whereas in the USA not only are the fares a lot cheaper but you can cancel right up to Final payment

However the UK couple featured need not have lost their £900 deposit they were offered a cheaper cabin but they rejected that

Hence its hard to find full sympathy with them

I would rather do the cruise in a lesser cabin which lets face it is only basically used to sleep in than loose £900 on a principal thanks to a fuel surcharge Like it or not OIL prices have gone sky high

Gas in the UK is now over $10 a gallon

If it was that price in the USA there would be mass revolt

Old July 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have been aware of the fuel surcharges for many months and the Bennett's should have been given the bottom line before being asked for the deposit. I agree with another poster who stated that they will "continue to cruise and it's only about the bottom line". I will choose cheaper,less desirable cruises, off season cruises and cruises closer to home, but I will still cruise.

INSIDE/OUTSIDE AND LUVIN' IT NOW!

Old July 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by quester1 View Post
Please clarify what you mean. I thought that to say "UNCLE" means to quit fighting, surrender to the "Bully" and give into thier terms. I don't think this is what you meant, right?
sorry, to me saying "uncle" is to give up the fight, stop resisting, and WALK AWAY from the big bully. I would never "give in" thanks for clarifying.
Island Princess, Oct 2014; Carnival Legend, July 2014; Ruby Princess, March 2014; Caribbean Princess, March 2013; HAL Ryndham, Dec 2012; Carnival Ecstasy, May 2012, Caribbean Princess, March 2011; Crown Princess Thanksgiving 2010; Emerald Princess, Easter 2010; Disney Magic, Thanksgiving 2009; Disney Magic, June 2009; Costa Concordia (BEFORE she sank!) Thanksgiving 2008; Enchantment of the Seas, March 2008; Costa Magica, March 2007; Costa Magica, December 2006; Mariner of the Seas, June 2006; Mariner of the Seas, March 2006; Grandeur of the Seas, Christmas 2005; Mariner of the Seas, March 2005; Carnival Fascination, October 2004; Disney Wonder, May 2003

Old July 14th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Editor

Default Maybe this will help?

This is an issue we're starting to cover quite often (have another story in editing queue) -- some US agencies do in fact take UK bookings. Read this for now -- maybe it'll shed some light? Ask the Editor: Can UK Passengers Book with Overseas Agencies? http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/featur...les.cfm?ID=690

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post

Old July 14th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Editor

Default The Bennetts Issue

You know, we cover the fuel surcharge story in many different ways (from news stories when taxes are upped to our AYS Roundup that tells you exactly what lines charge -- http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/featur...les.cfm?ID=580 -- and it, meaning the fuel tax, is going to be with us for the foreseeable future. But I'm going to go on the record here to say that this particular case is an embarrassment for not only Discovery Cruise Line but for the industry in general. Please understand that it's not the "norm".

Beyond the company's inadequate response (and frankly its poor handling of the whole issue) -- what also has to be noted here is that Discovery's 19 pounds a day is the priciest tariff in ALL OF CRUISING ALL OVER THE WORLD. To quote a UK colleague, it's a bloody rip off in the first place.

Certainly, the ship is older and not as efficient and I'm sure its energy costs are higher than the norm. That's no excuse. Tweak the itineraries, then. Find other ways to handle it than to make passengers pay an exhorbitant fee for a ship that's not as ... good a value as many others in the market today.

The best way you can let Voyages of Discovery know how you feel about this is to vote with your wallet and go to a line that not only charges a reasonable fee but also responds to passengers with the respect they deserve.

I'm sure it doesn't show -- but I'm really, really furious about the way the Bennetts have been handled and the way the company is not taking responsibility. It's hurting itself, to be sure, but also hurting the industry, too.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDown Under View Post
"After paying the deposit, the couple were told that based on a £19 per person, per night fuel tax, they'd need to shell out an additional £892. So they decided to cancel the cruise and get their deposit refunded.

No dice. The sting in the tail for the Bennetts is that the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) states that if you're cancelling a cruise you've booked because of excessive fees, the amount must add up to more then 10 percent of the price.

The Bennetts' surcharge came to 9.92 percent."

I doubt the American cruise consumer would put up with loosing 900 pounds deposit on a September cruise, because they didn't want to pay an additional 892 pounds fuel surcharge.

The cruise industry may soon learn that many cruisers, like myself, will no longer book cruises in advance like we used to.