Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old July 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Viking Pride Grand European Tour review

We just got back on July 2nd from our river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with the 3 day pre-cruise and extended stay with Viking. We had a great time and loved the trip. I want to write a complete review but don't have the time right now. I hope to write it in the next few days, maybe in parts so have patience with me. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them as soon as I can. We didn't have any major problems with Viking and would cruise with them again. They asked on their questionaire anything they could improve on, so we wrote a few things. Both Hiltons in Budapest and Amsterdam were excellent. The service and people at the hotels were great. Always helpful and cheerful. No language problems on our trip. We only had one problem outside of Budapest in a little town that didn't speak hardly any English but we had a personal guide so that helped. Most people want to talk to you in English for them to practice it. Even the little kids. In one town, we saw three little kids with ice cream and wanted to know where they got it, since it looked so good. They were tickled pink when we asked them for directions. It was cute all three of them trying to speak in English. They did a very good job of it and we found the place.

I'm sorry I can't write more now but look for my postings soon. It's hard to get caught up on things after being away for 3 weeks.

Sandy

Old July 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Oh no, we are off on the Grand European Tour on the Viking Pride tomorrow! Wish you had had time to write a review. I`m sure we`l find out soon enough though. Glad you enjoyed it.

Old July 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTSAT View Post
We just got back on July 2nd from our river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with the 3 day pre-cruise and extended stay with Viking. We had a great time and loved the trip. I want to write a complete review but don't have the time right now. I hope to write it in the next few days, maybe in parts so have patience with me. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them as soon as I can. We didn't have any major problems with Viking and would cruise with them again. They asked on their questionaire anything they could improve on, so we wrote a few things. Both Hiltons in Budapest and Amsterdam were excellent. The service and people at the hotels were great. Always helpful and cheerful. No language problems on our trip. We only had one problem outside of Budapest in a little town that didn't speak hardly any English but we had a personal guide so that helped. Most people want to talk to you in English for them to practice it. Even the little kids. In one town, we saw three little kids with ice cream and wanted to know where they got it, since it looked so good. They were tickled pink when we asked them for directions. It was cute all three of them trying to speak in English. They did a very good job of it and we found the place.

I'm sorry I can't write more now but look for my postings soon. It's hard to get caught up on things after being away for 3 weeks.

Sandy
Sandy!!! we are doing the very same cruise on the new ship. "pride" next june 20th plus 3 nights in amsterdam. any info you pass on will be very, very helpful in our planning. look forward to your postings. we just got home from london ( 14 days on jewel of the seas, baltic countries) 20 hours in transit. so we know how you feel!!!!!!! once you feel better please feel free to email us any good info. alicedean2001@msn.com

Best wishes,
Dean & Alice

alicedean2001@msn.com
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/image...ine=1213891009

Oceanic 1972

RCL Explorer of the Seas 2003

RCL Adventure of the Seas 2004

RCL Brilliance of the Seas 2005

RCL Brilliance of the seas 2006

RCL Brilliance of the seas 2007

RCL Adventure of the seas 2007

RCL Jewel of the seas 2008

Viking River Cruises 2009

RCL Radiance of the seas 2010

RCL Radiance of the Seas 2011

RCL Allure of the Seas 2012

RCL Allure of the Seas 2013

Old July 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippy Sweetie View Post
Oh no, we are off on the Grand European Tour on the Viking Pride tomorrow! Wish you had had time to write a review. I`m sure we`l find out soon enough though. Glad you enjoyed it.
Have a great time and please post info. on your return!

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old July 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default wine in our cabin

would like to know if there is any way to chill wine in our cabin? the $14 corkage fee is a bit over the top! I assume there is a ice bucket in each cabin..is it large enough to contain a wine bottle with ice? thanks in advance!
Dean

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ice Bucket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddean52 View Post
would like to know if there is any way to chill wine in our cabin? the $14 corkage fee is a bit over the top! I assume there is a ice bucket in each cabin..is it large enough to contain a wine bottle with ice? thanks in advance!
Dean
ddean,
If you do not have a small refrigerator in your cabin (some ships have)...then most of the cabin ice buckets I recall were small. You might use the waste basket, as they are almost always plastic buckets. If not, save a plastic bag and line the waste basket with it to hold the melting ice water.
That should work... or ... worst case, pick up a cheap large plastic bucket or a paper paint bucket (or a large KFC bucket) while you are on tour ... any of these costing less than 14.00 and you're ahead!
Jerry

Last edited by coasters; July 16th, 2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added info.

Old July 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

corkage fee only applies to wine drunk in the dining room. In the room or on the sun deck there is usually no charge. Don't think the line would appreciate passengers bringing a glass of wine from their cabin to the dining room. Many wines on the local economy are $10 or less. When you add the corkage fee, it can be cheaper than on the dining room wine list.

Old July 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

we have no intention of bringing wine from our cabin to dinner. just want to enjoy wine before dinner ,proprely chilled, as we watch the world drift by.

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old July 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

It is even better to drink and watch the world go by on the sundeck. It is a most relaxing experience. Enjoy your trip. River cruising is a great vacation. Pat

Old July 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

LOL...we plan to drink wine ( other than a wine glass) up on the sun deck for sure! the whole trip sounds perfect! thanks.
dean

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

Sandy
Sandy. did you arrive same day as embarkation? how long did it take to embark ship? how long until you could get into cabin? how long till luggage arrived in cabin? did you take the small 'stretch you legs" walking tour provided by viking on embarkation day. sorry about all the questions/....lol... i have many others.
Dean

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old July 18th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Grand European Tour Viking Pride

I have tried to post two times and neither has shown up on the board. One was last weekend and I just tried again about a half hour ago. So I'm just typing this out to see if it shows up. My patience is running thin right now. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Sandy

Old July 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Grand European Tour Viking Pride again

Well it worked that time. I guess I'm writing too long that it won't post it or taking too long to write it.

Dean, I had answered all your questions plus some on my last reply. Try again short and sweet this time. We did the 3 day pre-cruise in Budapest so we were transported from the Hilton to the boat on Sunday at around 2-3pm. Check in went fast. They basically gave you your card keys and name tags. Your name tags has a number one, two or three which is your bus number when you're on bus tours. They deliver your suitcases to your cabin outside your door.

We had taken a collapsible cooler with us. If it wasn't going to fit in our suitcases, we would use it as a carry on. We took a gallon ziplock bag and kept filling it with ice from the machine, that is located at the end of the hall, on the second deck, by the stairs that go up putside the dining area. It kept our bottled sodas and wine cold while on board the ship. I had bought a $1 wine screwer at Walmart. It did the job and still works. The room stewards aren't allowed to fill your coolers with ice.

Sorry, but I have to go again. One of these times I'll get this trip all on this site. Hope I answered some of your questions.

Sandy

Old July 20th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Well it worked that time. I guess I'm writing too long that it won't post it or taking too long to write it.

Dean, I had answered all your questions plus some on my last reply. Try again short and sweet this time. We did the 3 day pre-cruise in Budapest so we were transported from the Hilton to the boat on Sunday at around 2-3pm. Check in went fast. They basically gave you your card keys and name tags. Your name tags has a number one, two or three which is your bus number when you're on bus tours. They deliver your suitcases to your cabin outside your door.

We had taken a collapsible cooler with us. If it wasn't going to fit in our suitcases, we would use it as a carry on. We took a gallon ziplock bag and kept filling it with ice from the machine, that is located at the end of the hall, on the second deck, by the stairs that go up putside the dining area. It kept our bottled sodas and wine cold while on board the ship. I had bought a $1 wine screwer at Walmart. It did the job and still works. The room stewards aren't allowed to fill your coolers with ice.

Sorry, but I have to go again. One of these times I'll get this trip all on this site. Hope I answered some of your questions.

Sandy
Thanks Sandy! we we will be eagerly looking forward to your full review!(no preasure-lol)

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old July 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddean52 View Post
Thanks Sandy! we we will be eagerly looking forward to your full review!(no preasure-lol)
Sandy, what ports could you "walk right into town " from and what ports required bus/cab transfer? LOL I could not waite.....

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old July 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Viking Pride Grand European Review Budapest

We did the 3 day pre-cruise stay and 3 day post-cruise stay in Budapest & Amsterdam. Both Hiltons were great. Budapest Hilton was in a better location. Amsterdam was too far out but had no problems taking the bus or tram. If you have any questions on either stay, ask and I'll answer them. I'll try to write about it later on since I'm having problems getting these posts on.

Budapest is a very friendly city. It is huge. We had a personal guide who lives on the Buda side. He took us all over the place. He took us to very good restaurants. On the Buda side, a great restaurant that the locals go to with big portions is called FATAL. The address is 1056 Budapest, Viaci u. 67. It is in the Vaci Utca area, on a side street, which is loaded with sidewalk cafes. Their website is www.fatalrestaurant.com. If you get the schnutzel, share it because it is huge. As big as a medium pizza. And their soups are big too. When you order water in a restaurant or store, it'll say gas or no gas. Gas is seltzer water. Some places will make their ice tea with seltzer water so ask first. Really the only place my husband got it that way was in Amsterdam. Another treat to try is called Lagrosse Bread. It's similiar to a funnel cake /soft pretzel but made with bread dough and you can get either sour cream with cheese topping or garlic butter. Both were great! We got the bread at the concession stand at the foot of Queen Elizabeth Castle that you take a ski lift up to. The walk after you get off the lift to the castle is steep but a beautiful site. Make sure to go to the Market area which is about a 10 -20 minute walk from the ship depending on where it is docked. The market is open from 6am-6pm Mon-Fri, 6am-2pm on Sat. and closed Sunday. They have all sorts of souvenirs and foods. Budapest mostly takes forints. Everywhere we went didn't take Euros or american money. Some will take credit cards but most you have to purchase a certain amount. We got our exchange at the hotel because we would buy a little at a time. Didn't want to get stuck with forints when you couldn't use it anywhere else on the trip. I have kept all our maps so if you have any questions on where something is, just ask. I'm going to end this so I don't lose this post.

Old July 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks Sandy!! Now which ports could you just walk into town from the ship and which ports required transportation? THANK YOU! Dean

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old July 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Viking Pride-G. European-Cont.

Bratislava,Slovakia-arrived at 1PM. At 1:30pm mini-train and walking tour. You can walk into town from where you were docked. On this night they had the movie, "Sound of Music" in the lounge after dinner. We left Bratislava at midnight. So you could go back into town if you wanted.

Vienna, Austria-arrived 7am. Tour at 9am to 12:30pm. You can stay in town for lunch if you want. We did and walked around more. We had to try their apple streudal too. We had that at a cafe in front of the cathedral. We ate at a good restaurant named Figmuller located on Backerstrabe which is a couple blocks from St. Stephan's Cathedral. In the streets around the cathedral there will be different mimes just standing there for some tips. It was hot that day and they had some heavy costumes on. They have carriage rides by the cathedral too. We took the subway back to the boat which cost $3.40 Euros for the two of us. They had an option tour from 2-5:30pm to visit the Schonbrunn Palace. $44 Euros each. Also you had the option tour of a Mozart & Stauss Concert in the Palace Borse that evening leaving at 7:30pm-10:15pm, $54 Euros each. We didn't do either. The people who did do the concert said it was good. Some thought it was going to be a big concert in a huge room but it wasn't. It was in a smaller room and had some comedy and singing performed also. The boat left at 1am.

Melk- arrived at 12:30pm. At 10:30am on the boat in the lounge they had samples of Fruhschopen. Bus tours started at 1:30m to the Melk Abbey. At 4:45pm in the lounge they had a demo on how to make apple strudel and of course got to sample. The boat left at 5pm. At 9pm. Bingo in the lounge, 5 Euros per card of 3 separate games on it. Didn't win!!

Passau, Germany-arrives 9am. Walking tour and organ concert from 10am-12:30pm. You could stay into town and eat lunch, which we did. We took a bus up to the Oberhaus fortress. It cost 5 Euros each round trip. Then we walked back to the boat. The boat left at 7pm. At 9pm, a music quiz in the lounge. Didn't win again!

Regensburg, Germany-arrives at 10am. Walking tour at 10am-11:30am. Again we ate lunch in town. We had to have the sausage at the oldest sausage restaurant called Wurstkuchl. And they are a busy place!!!! Well worth the wait. There was an afternoon stroll with the program director to a beer garden at 2pm. We didn't go. The boat left at 5pm. In the lounge was a talk and slide show on the different cruises with Viking.

To be continued

Old July 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Sandy!

cant tell you how helpful your info is!! making the planing a lot easier! thanks!
Dean

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972

Old July 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Sandy

was it easy useing the subway to get back to the boat in vienna?
were the cabins walls able to keep out lound noises?

alicedean2001@msn.com

Oceanic 1972