Does Princess confiscate alcohol?

MaggieS

We're new to Princess. Am wondering if you bring alcohol on board while in a port if it is confiscated. Have been on Celebrity and Royal Carribean many times and they prohibit this practice but do not enforce it. Anybody know? We will be cruising Sydney to Bangkok in the spring. Thanks:confused:

They will take your liquor and hold it untill the next to last night - SOMETIMES - it is kind of the luck of the draw - I have cleared some and they have taken some - wine and beer are OK - If you are buying it to take home - should be no problem them holding it - If you want hard liquor for your cabin - either order it from room service (good prices) or bring from home in your checked luggage.

Confiscate is a big word - they do give it back!

Ron

Having just returned from an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Golden, I can tell you that yes, they do confiscate liquor that you bring on board at the various ports. They x-ray all your bags as you embark on the ship after a day in port, and if there's a bottle, they will take it for delivery to your room the night before you return to your departure port. Interestingly, we found a duty free shop right where the ship docked in Isla Margarita where they sold Stolly in cans - they didn't catch that!

you can pack in your luggage what ever you want prior to boarding, never a problem. so dont take any from the states or it might be broken just buy in sydney the day you board.
Or you can put it in a plastic bottle and you won't have to worry about it. We always bring a bottle in our luggage because we usually get in a day or so prior to cruise and like to have a drink or two in room before going to dinner. Have never had any problem boarding ship with it and we leave it out in cabin and it's never been taken. What you can't do and what everyone here has already said, is buy it in port and take it to your room. They will hold it for you and deliver it to your room on the last night of the cruise. They also have some very good deals on the ship for you to purchase and take home. These are also delivered at same time and usually packed in a carrying case.

I found that the people carrying their liquor in cardboard boxes - it was taken from them on return to ship. ( I figure easy for Princess to store - not have to worry about breakage) We had a large bottle of Baily's just in a plastic back - put it on the belt and they didn't say boo. I was prepared for them to hold it - that way I would have had it when the cruise was done. They didn't so I had to drink it!!!

We just returned from the Caribbean Princess. We didn't buy any liquor at any of our stops, but when we boarded we had a wheeled carry on containing: 1 375 ml Bacardi Light, 1 375 ml Bacardi Gold, 1 750 ml Ke Ke Beach Key Lime Cream Liqueur, 1 750 ml De Kuyper Peachtree Schnapps, 1 6-pack Corona bottles, 1 6-pack Killian's Irish Red. We purchased all of this plus soda and mixers at Publix the night before our cruise, and carried it on without any attempt to cover it up. We sent it through the x-ray machine, and nobody batted an eye. It was nice to be able to have a pre-dinner drink in the cabin, and an afternoon beer on the balcony. We still ran a bar tab by the pool and during the evening shows.

All of the major cruise lines use a technique similar to drug testing at major corporations. They conduct random booze searches at different ports and/or cruises to keep everyone aware of their policies. If you decide to take your on-board libations just be aware of the confiscation policies and alternative venues including on-board purchases, etc.. :)

10_7_5.gif...........something that I think may work when returning to the ship after that long day in port. If you get and bring one of those "hard-hats" with the can holders and straws mounted on either side...........just put water bottles filled with stoli or your favorite clear liquor (for water).....dark, scotch, burbon (for coke/pepsi) ect. no one will bother you, heck it was hot out there and you were thirsty.

Stoli in cans?

10_7_5.gif...........something that I think may work when returning to the ship after that long day in port. If you get and bring one of those "hard-hats" with the can holders and straws mounted on either side...........just put water bottles filled with stoli or your favorite clear liquor (for water).....dark, scotch, burbon (for coke/pepsi) ect. no one will bother you, heck it was hot out there and you were thirsty.

Stoli in cans?

I love the way you think!:D

I've had them not bat an eye and I've had them take it for storage. No rhyme or reason as it was done on the same ship on the same island !!!!!!

It's the same with customs-some will collect from the first dollar and some will not as long as it's under 10.00 in duty fees. One time we brought back 21 bottles and we had to pay 4.00 and he collected it-go figure.

We always pack booze in our checked luggage and never had a problem after 18 cruises. I put it in plastic bottles, wrap in bubble wrap and then in those 2 gallon plastic zip lock bags. We flew from FL to Seattle and didn't have a problem-even with the airline baggage gorillas:p

I still don't understand why people insist on smuggling when most liquors can be purchased from Princess at less than what it costs in the states. If you pre-order it using the form on their web site it will be sitting in your cabin waiting for you when you arrive.

Unless they don't carry your favorite why bother going through the hassle of smuggling??

Scott

Archived