Can you bring wine onto the ship with you?

gina2edu

We have sailed on Princess before and they let you brng wine on board with you. They charge you $10 (or something like that) as a corkage fee. They will also store the unused portion of the bottle for you until you are ready to finish it.

Does Royal Caribbean do the same for you? Do they have a corkage fee?

Thanks for any information.

:)

This has been a controversial topic on this board--if you do a search, you could probably find an earlier thread. You can bring wine on board with you--we brought two bottles to consume in our room on our last cruise. I'm not sure how much you can actually bring before they consider confiscating it. They charge you a $12 corkage fee if you bring your own bottle to dinner.

Royal Caribbean has a wine and dine package--not sure if it is availiable on all ships. You may want to consider this if you are planning on having wine every night--by the time you haul seven bottles of wine on board plus pay the corkage fee, the wine and dine package isn't such a bad deal.

We also have brought wine on each of our three cruises. But we had our corkscrew confiscated. Officially, it was a "security" issue, but the guy laughlingly admitted that it also was a "protect our $12 corking fee" issue.

We like to sit on our balcony and watch the sunset with a glass of wine, so having a bottle opened in the dining room is no help. So for our last cruise, we went to our local wine shop, and asked if they had anything halfway decent with a screw top. And we actually found a few that were pretty decent!

If you have a TA like ours you have a bottle of wine waiting for you in your cabin with a corkscrew. Then you use the corkscrew the whole cruise. Just don't pack it in your carry on. I have left corkscrews in several airports across the USA because I usually throw it in the carry on at the last minute. Shows the TSA is on their toes. mems

Adding up what many folks have posted in response to similar questions, it seems clear that RCI may or may confiscate the alcohol you bring aboard (returning it to you on debarkation), and may or may not charge you a corkage fee if they don't confiscate it. They do provide you the following notification:

Can I bring my own liquor onboard?

We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases. Should you choose to consume alcoholic beverages purchased from the Shops On Board, a consumption fee will apply at the time of purchase. Note that no open liquor bottles will be permitted to be brought into dining areas or public areas.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities.

On two cruises (7 day southern on Radiance and 10 day PC on Brilliance), my fiance and I brought 2 cases of champagne (VC) along). On Radiance they only charged us once when we brought it to dinner, however they charged us evertime we brought it to dinner on Brilliance. We stopped bringing it after 3 charges. lololo. I think the corkage fee on Brilliance was $12/bottle. We packed the cases in our luggage and it was not an issue.

Mark & Janet

So, they don't look in your CHECKED luggage??? I want to bring some really cheap champagne (cuz we like it) ... and for the 4$/bottle Im going to spend .. I certainly dont want to pay a 12$ corkage fee (considering they dont have corks HAHAHA)

(Sorry for the ignorant question, I've never been on a cruise -- 19 more days :) )

that is what we intended to buy but the liquor store we stopped at did not carry "boxed wine"....boxed wine is what we buy at home and thought it would safer to walk on board with....but like i said to my surprise the store only had bottled wine...they suggested i run across the street to the grocery store who also sold wine...i did....and they too only sold bottled....so bottled wine was what i purchsed.

I think I remember seeing someone post exactly what came out of RCI's mouth. No outside booze.

The only thing that is getting accomplished by bringing outside booze aboard a ship is giving RCI a reason to raise prices and begin nickle and diming more.

Just my opinion.

mrsjanko: What was posted is part of what is on RCI's website. First, it says clearly that a "no alcohol" policy doesn't necessarily apply to all ships or itineraries. Second, many people do not go online and can only rely on their cruise docs, which still say something like "RCI reserves the right to limit or deny alcohol to be brought onboard..." and nothing like "don't even think about bringing alcohol onboard."

beachchick

Archived