Dessert souffle w/warm vanilla sauce

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:46 PM.
#1
512 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I had this for dessert one evening on our last cruise and it was to die for! Does anyone have the recipe for this wonderful souffle? It had a slight lemon flavor and the waiter served it with a warm vanilla sauce. Yummy!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide the recipe!
#2
Philadelphia
694 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I don't know but it sounds fabulous!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
August 2007 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
August 2008 Caribbean Princess Canada/New
England
August 2009 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
July 2011 Mediteranean Norweigan Epic
October 2011 Canada New England Norwegian Jewel
January 2013 Holland America Westerdam Southern Caribbean
#3
Cape Girardeau, MO
4,405 Posts
Joined May 2005
The one dessert my daughter LOVED was the Expresso Souffle with the vanilla sauce. Even the night she didn't want to eat in the dining room when we saw that on the menu, we called her in the teen center and she ran down in minutes.

Don't think that would have a lemon taste but have heard many people rave about their dessert souffles
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Sharon
Up Next: Carnival Dream from NOLA, B2B, Aug. 2017; Caribbean Princess, 14 night Circle Caribbean, Oct. 2017; Carnival Splendor, Panama Canal, Jan. 2018.



Cruise History:
May 2005 ~ Disney Wonder ...April 2006 ~ Carnival Victory ...April & December (NYE) 2007 ~ Caribbean Princess ...March 2008 ~ Grand Princess ...December (NYE) 2008 ~ Crown Princess ...November 2009 ~ Grand Princess Egypt & the Aegean ...March 2011 ~ Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean ...November 2012 ~ Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean ...May 2013 ~ Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean ...October 2013 ~ Halloween! Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean...April 2014 ~ Carnival Dream Western Caribbean...November 2014 ~Carnival Liberty Eastern Caribbean...Carnival Magic, March & November 2015, Exotic Western Caribbean......Carnival Dream, August 2016...Grand Princess to Hawaii, October 2016...Carnival Dream, January 2017...Crown Princess Transatlantic FLL to Southampton, April 2017.
#4
9,561 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I have the Princess cookbook, and I think that recipe is in there, I seem to recall something about warm vanilla sauce -- but I don't have the book here with me on travel. If you can wait for three days, I'll be home then and can look for you -- if it's in there, I'll post the recipe for you in this thread, if someone hasn't already.
#5
San Francisco Bay Area
12,314 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Souffles are my favorites
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Future Cruises: Grand Princess, September 2017, March 2018, June 2018, September 2018 & October 2018
Completed Cruises: Coral Princess (11),
Star Princess (11), Grand Princess (9), Golden Princess (6), Regal Princess (old) (5), Caribbean Princess (4), Dawn Princess (3), Sky Princess (2), Fairwind (2), Ruby Princess (1), Crown Princess (1), Sapphire Princess (1), Island Princess (1), Fair Princess (1)

#6
Philadelphia
694 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Mine too. Somehow I missed out on them last year when we were on the CB but this year I'm going to be sure to get one. I love chocolate souffles. When we went to the dining room they didn't have souffles on the menu.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
August 2007 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
August 2008 Caribbean Princess Canada/New
England
August 2009 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
July 2011 Mediteranean Norweigan Epic
October 2011 Canada New England Norwegian Jewel
January 2013 Holland America Westerdam Southern Caribbean
#8
San Pedro, CA
529 Posts
Joined May 2008
You might be thinking of the passion fruit souffle or the Grand Marnier souffle (which has an orange flavor) both of which are served on the longer cruises (10 to 14 days). They are all fantastic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SKELLIS
Elite Princess member with 29 Princess cruises 54 overall
last cruise: 10 day Southern Caribbean April 2010, next cruise, NewYork to San Juan October 2010.
#9
Vancouver, BC
7,281 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by skellis
You might be thinking of the passion fruit souffle or the Grand Marnier souffle (which has an orange flavor) both of which are served on the longer cruises (10 to 14 days). They are all fantastic.
Those souffles are to die for............I cannot wait for November and the souffle deserts......Kruisey
#11
1,766 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
I love all the souffles, other than the chocolate one.

I was very happy that they are smaller than they were when we first began cruising on Princess. Now, they are just as delicious, but a manageable size.
#13
new york
1,427 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by 8 Bells
I had this for dessert one evening on our last cruise and it was to die for! Does anyone have the recipe for this wonderful souffle? It had a slight lemon flavor and the waiter served it with a warm vanilla sauce. Yummy!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide the recipe!

The Princess cookbook has the recipe for the Vanilla Cognac Souffle with Warm Gran Marnier Sauce would you like that recipe ??

Lenore
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 23.25pt" height=31><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 23.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl22 height=31 width=64>Lenore</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
________________________________________
Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

The right shoes can change your life.---Cinderella





Dawn Princess, Alaska 2003
Star Princess, Mexican Riviera 2004
Dawn Princess, Southern Caribbean 2005
Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2005
Star Princess, Western Caribbean 2007
Noordam, Alaska 2007
Caribbean Princess NY-Bermuda 2008
Caribbean Princess San Juan-NY 2009
Island Princess- Full transit Panama Canal-2010
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2010
Caribbean Princess, New England 2011
Freedom of the Seas, Caribbean Christmas 2012
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2014
Island Princess- Pacific Coastal 2014
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2015
Emerald Princess, B2B, Caribbean 2016
#14
512 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by LENORA516
The Princess cookbook has the recipe for the Vanilla Cognac Souffle with Warm Gran Marnier Sauce would you like that recipe ??

Lenore
Lenore, that sounds wonderful! Would love to have it -- thanks!
#15
Tallahassee, Florida
8,566 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
The Souffles are wonderful!! I have 61 days until I can have another one. I'm not sure my cooking skills would allow me to make my own but if a recipe is posted, I might give it a try!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Pride 5/4/02, Carnival Conquest 1/19/03, Carnival Legend 1/16/04, Carnival Destiny 10/24/04, Inspiration 5/19/05, Star Princess 7/14/05, Carnival Valor 10/30/05, Carnival Liberty 4/1/06, Sun Princess 6/4/06, Inspiration 2/3/07, Carnival Victory 7/17/08, Crown Princess 10/12/08, Carnival Freedom 5/3/09, Carnival Dream (transatlantic) 10/27/09, Fascination 10/25/10, Fascination 10/10/11, Paradise 1/19/12, Carnival Legend 5/13/12, Fascination 10/27/12, Fascination 1/19/13, Carnival Legend 3/3/13 , Fascination 4/8/13, Paradise 8/24/13, Carnival Dream 9/21/13, Ecstasy 10/12/13,Sensation 11/10/13, Sensation 11/14/13, Carnival Legend 11/17/13 Carnival Dream 12/7/13, Carnival Dream 4/5/14 repositioning cruise, Carnival Freedom 7/26/14, Carnival Paradise 11/10/14, Carnival Fascination 12/1/14, Carnival Fascination 9/21/15, Carnival Paradise 11/14/15, Carnival Fantasy 8/1/16, Carnival Fantasy 1/28/17 [b]/B]
#16
new york
1,427 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
8 BELLS

I'LL POST IT TONIGHT WHEN I GET HOME !

LENORE
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 23.25pt" height=31><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 23.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl22 height=31 width=64>Lenore</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
________________________________________
Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

The right shoes can change your life.---Cinderella





Dawn Princess, Alaska 2003
Star Princess, Mexican Riviera 2004
Dawn Princess, Southern Caribbean 2005
Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2005
Star Princess, Western Caribbean 2007
Noordam, Alaska 2007
Caribbean Princess NY-Bermuda 2008
Caribbean Princess San Juan-NY 2009
Island Princess- Full transit Panama Canal-2010
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2010
Caribbean Princess, New England 2011
Freedom of the Seas, Caribbean Christmas 2012
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2014
Island Princess- Pacific Coastal 2014
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2015
Emerald Princess, B2B, Caribbean 2016
#17
new york
1,427 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Vanilla Cognac Souffle
Serves 8

1 Cup Flour
½ cup sugar
1/4 cup Corn Starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
10 egg yolks
2 vanilla beans
5 cups milk
1/4 cup cognac
10 egg whites
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare 8 4 inch oven proof souffle dishes. Butter the bottom and insides of the dishes well. Coat the buttered surface with sugar.
Cream the flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt, butter and egg yolks together gently without incorporating too much air. Meanwhile split and scoop out the vanilla bean, add to the milk and bring just to a boil. Slowly add the hot milk into the egg mixture until it is well combined. Return the mixture to a moderate heat and continue to cook until well thickened, do not boil the custard or it will curdle. Remove from the heat, strain and cool. Stir the cognac into the mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture. Fill the souffle cups to ½ inch from the top. Place the souffles in the oven and bake approximately 25 minutes until the souffles have doubled in size, browned and firmed slightly. Disturb the souffles as little as possible while baking, especially in the first 15 minutes.

Grand Marnier Sauce
½ cup sugar
6 egg yolks
2 ½ cups milk
1/4 cup grand Marnier
1/8 cup cognac
Prepare the sauce by creaming the sugar and egg yolks together. Bring the milk to a boil and slowly add the hot milk into the egg mixture. Add the Grand Marnier and cognac. Return to moderate heat and cook approximately 10 minutes until it thickens enough to coat a spoon well. Do not allow the sauce to boil.
The souffle has to be served immediately once cooked. Dust the souffles with the confectioner’s sugar and serve warm with the warm sauce on the side. When eating with the sauce, split the top of a souffle and pour a little directly into the center.
This recipe can be used as a base to add different liquers, flavors, nuts, chocolate etc.


Lenore
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 23.25pt" height=31><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 23.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl22 height=31 width=64>Lenore</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
________________________________________
Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

The right shoes can change your life.---Cinderella





Dawn Princess, Alaska 2003
Star Princess, Mexican Riviera 2004
Dawn Princess, Southern Caribbean 2005
Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2005
Star Princess, Western Caribbean 2007
Noordam, Alaska 2007
Caribbean Princess NY-Bermuda 2008
Caribbean Princess San Juan-NY 2009
Island Princess- Full transit Panama Canal-2010
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2010
Caribbean Princess, New England 2011
Freedom of the Seas, Caribbean Christmas 2012
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2014
Island Princess- Pacific Coastal 2014
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2015
Emerald Princess, B2B, Caribbean 2016
#18
512 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by LENORA516
Vanilla Cognac Souffle
Serves 8

1 Cup Flour
½ cup sugar
1/4 cup Corn Starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
10 egg yolks
2 vanilla beans
5 cups milk
1/4 cup cognac
10 egg whites
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare 8 4 inch oven proof souffle dishes. Butter the bottom and insides of the dishes well. Coat the buttered surface with sugar.
Cream the flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt, butter and egg yolks together gently without incorporating too much air. Meanwhile split and scoop out the vanilla bean, add to the milk and bring just to a boil. Slowly add the hot milk into the egg mixture until it is well combined. Return the mixture to a moderate heat and continue to cook until well thickened, do not boil the custard or it will curdle. Remove from the heat, strain and cool. Stir the cognac into the mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture. Fill the souffle cups to ½ inch from the top. Place the souffles in the oven and bake approximately 25 minutes until the souffles have doubled in size, browned and firmed slightly. Disturb the souffles as little as possible while baking, especially in the first 15 minutes.

Grand Marnier Sauce
½ cup sugar
6 egg yolks
2 ½ cups milk
1/4 cup grand Marnier
1/8 cup cognac
Prepare the sauce by creaming the sugar and egg yolks together. Bring the milk to a boil and slowly add the hot milk into the egg mixture. Add the Grand Marnier and cognac. Return to moderate heat and cook approximately 10 minutes until it thickens enough to coat a spoon well. Do not allow the sauce to boil.
The souffle has to be served immediately once cooked. Dust the souffles with the confectioner’s sugar and serve warm with the warm sauce on the side. When eating with the sauce, split the top of a souffle and pour a little directly into the center.
This recipe can be used as a base to add different liquers, flavors, nuts, chocolate etc.


Lenore
Thanks so much for posting the recipe! I've never made a souffle, but am going to try it this weekend.

My mouth is watering just thinking about how good the one was that we had on the cruise. Thanks again!
#19
Philadelphia
694 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Thanks Lenore! That looks yummy! I think I may give it a try too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
August 2007 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
August 2008 Caribbean Princess Canada/New
England
August 2009 Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean
July 2011 Mediteranean Norweigan Epic
October 2011 Canada New England Norwegian Jewel
January 2013 Holland America Westerdam Southern Caribbean
#20
Southern CA
2,074 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
That warm Vanilla Sauce brings tears to my eyes. Why I have to cruise often. They even have it in the buffet. My grandmother rest her soul made a similar sauce for holidays.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeanne
Just done a lot of cruises and have more planned.