Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old August 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Emerald Princess - Current Entertainment

Hi,

We are currently on day 2 of a 12 day cruise, and are concerned with the level of entertainment.

Some questions for recent Emerald travellers:-

- Was Neil Chandler the Cruise Director - or is he new to the job?
- Was your experience of the The 'Welcome Aboard Showtime' as poor as ours - i.e. 45 minutes, 1 x dance number, the CD sings a song and then an American comic performs to a largely non-American audience (& struggles as a result)
- While band 'On the Roxx' are good - will we see them every night in explorers?

While very early days, we are concerned about that the level of variety and the quality of the entertainment (particularly compared to our 2 x previous Princess cruises in the Carribbean).

Would welcome thoughts - especially from recent Emerald cruisers.

Old August 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

We got off the Emerald on the 4 August. Lisa Jane Ball was the Cruise Director, with Martin Fairs as her deputy. They made a very good team. Cannot help with the Welcome Aboard show. We tend to give these a miss, as they are mostly staff just introducing themselves and a few different acts.
We saw two or three further shows, along with a couple of guest entertainers. Could not really fault any of them.

I am sure you will enjoy the ship, we did the same cruise last year. Things can only get better!!!

Old August 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM
40,000+ Club

Your on day 2 of your cruise and you don't know who the CD is???

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Old August 17th, 2008, 09:01 PM
5,000+ Club

I think she knows it's Neil Chandler; I read her question as meaning she is wondering if this is his first gig: apparently he's not performing up to the level to which she's accustomed. If her knickers are in this much of a twist on day 2, I think we have a really scathing review to look forward to . . . Imagine wasting time on a Med cruise posting on here on the second day of your cruise complaining about the first night's entertainment -- one can only shake one's head in wonderment. . .

Old August 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsqrl View Post
I think she knows it's Neil Chandler; I read her question as meaning she is wondering if this is his first gig: apparently he's not performing up to the level to which she's accustomed. If her knickers are in this much of a twist on day 2, I think we have a really scathing review to look forward to . . . Imagine wasting time on a Med cruise posting on here on the second day of your cruise complaining about the first night's entertainment -- one can only shake one's head in wonderment. . .
I think you are right.

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool don't judge a movie by the trailer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusiejaneUK View Post
Hi,

We are currently on day 2 of a 12 day cruise, and are concerned with the level of entertainment.

Some questions for recent Emerald travellers:-

- Was Neil Chandler the Cruise Director - or is he new to the job?
- Was your experience of the The 'Welcome Aboard Showtime' as poor as ours - i.e. 45 minutes, 1 x dance number, the CD sings a song and then an American comic performs to a largely non-American audience (& struggles as a result)
- While band 'On the Roxx' are good - will we see them every night in explorers?

While very early days, we are concerned about that the level of variety and the quality of the entertainment (particularly compared to our 2 x previous Princess cruises in the Carribbean).

Would welcome thoughts - especially from recent Emerald cruisers.
Neil Chandler is not new - he was CD on the Emerald Princess last Christmas, and has a great reputation. He was really great on our cruise.

If you've had previous cruises on Princess I think you will find the first night's show to be fairly much the same from cruise to cruise. We've stopped going to them - even the comedian's jokes are mostly the same. I don't think the first night is representative of any cruise- just a sampler of dancing, comedian, and crew introductions.

Sometimes the bands change venues - check your Princess Patter for when and where "On the Roxx" is playing tonight.

Take a breath, take in a few shows, some dancing, wander the night clubs, and enjoy your cruise. I know you will find the major production shows to be superior to first night fare.

Old August 18th, 2008, 02:35 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times Prince View Post
Neil Chandler is not new - he was CD on the Emerald Princess last Christmas, and has a great reputation. He was really great on our cruise.

If you've had previous cruises on Princess I think you will find the first night's show to be fairly much the same from cruise to cruise. We've stopped going to them - even the comedian's jokes are mostly the same. I don't think the first night is representative of any cruise- just a sampler of dancing, comedian, and crew introductions.

Sometimes the bands change venues - check your Princess Patter for when and where "On the Roxx" is playing tonight.

Take a breath, take in a few shows, some dancing, wander the night clubs, and enjoy your cruise. I know you will find the major production shows to be superior to first night fare.
Good points, all. Although I have to say, on my cruise last summer when Sarge was the featured entertainer, his bit at the Welcome Aboard show was FAR funnier than his regular show -- that's 45 minutes I'll never get back. But, at least it made the Welcome Aboard show worth attending!