Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old August 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Santorini - Car Rental

We'll be on the Zuiderdam when she drops anchor in Santorini on October 4. Does anyone know if you need an International Drivers License to rent a car there - or is your US state-issued license accepted?

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

When we were there in late May our regular state-issued license was fine. We brought that plus our proof of insurance, which covers car rentals.
Have a great cruise!

Carolyn
Zuiderdam, Pacific Coastal 2013, Noordam, Southern Caribbean 2013, Maasdam, Canada-New England 2012, Silhouette, Holy Land 2011, Amsterdam, Pacific Coastal 2010, Zaandam, Circle Hawaii 2010, Zuiderdam, Sunfarer Panama Canal 2009, Rotterdam, Med 2008, Volendam, Coastal 2007, Noordam, Coastal 2007, Rotterdam, Eastern Med and Egypt 2006, Amsterdam, Alaska 2004

Old August 21st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

We're going to be on the same cruise and are going to be renting a car in Santorini as well. I am looking into options. Have you made plans for Corfu and Argostoli? Am still trying to decide what we will do in those ports.

Old August 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Renting a car on Santorini was really easy. We had no reservations, just walked just off the main st and found a small rental company. We rented a Smart Car, (good choice), it was really cheap on gas, gets you arround the island easily, and can be parked in just about any spot.

Old August 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecobra70 View Post
We're going to be on the same cruise and are going to be renting a car in Santorini as well. I am looking into options. Have you made plans for Corfu and Argostoli? Am still trying to decide what we will do in those ports.
We think we can find enough in Corfu to do on foot reasonably close to the ship (we are big walkers), but Argostoli is still up in the air....

Old August 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Please help me with "proof of insurance" - in NY, insurance companies give us certificates for each vehicle to be carried in the appropriate vehicle - but no general proof of insurance. Can you tell me what this is?

Thanks....

Old August 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default rent a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecobra70 View Post
Corfu has a beautiful old downtown to stroll around, lots of restaurants etc, but the island is gorgeous too, we drove around and stopped at several beaches, Argostoli, definitely rent a car, because there is nothing downtown, take a ride up north to Fiskardo, a gorgeous little port,and then let me know ,what you thought of it, regards, borretje@earthlink.net

Old August 21st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSailor View Post
Please help me with "proof of insurance" - in NY, insurance companies give us certificates for each vehicle to be carried in the appropriate vehicle - but no general proof of insurance. Can you tell me what this is?

Thanks....
That certificate would be fine, even a recent bill, just something that shows your name and insurance # to show them. We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered, but then I tend to go overboard in worrying about everything

We reserved our car ahead of time mainly because there were lots of ships in port that day and we wanted to be sure to get one. May not have been necessary, but this goes along with my wanting to be sure of everything! lol.

Carolyn
Zuiderdam, Pacific Coastal 2013, Noordam, Southern Caribbean 2013, Maasdam, Canada-New England 2012, Silhouette, Holy Land 2011, Amsterdam, Pacific Coastal 2010, Zaandam, Circle Hawaii 2010, Zuiderdam, Sunfarer Panama Canal 2009, Rotterdam, Med 2008, Volendam, Coastal 2007, Noordam, Coastal 2007, Rotterdam, Eastern Med and Egypt 2006, Amsterdam, Alaska 2004

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising-along View Post
That certificate would be fine, even a recent bill, just something that shows your name and insurance # to show them. We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered, but then I tend to go overboard in worrying about everything

We reserved our car ahead of time mainly because there were lots of ships in port that day and we wanted to be sure to get one. May not have been necessary, but this goes along with my wanting to be sure of everything! lol.
Hi Carolyn -

I just spoke with USAA and they said that they don't cover rental cars in Europe - so I guess the best thing is to go with the rental agency's insurance....

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreSailor View Post
Hi Carolyn -

I just spoke with USAA and they said that they don't cover rental cars in Europe - so I guess the best thing is to go with the rental agency's insurance....
Oh, I am SO sorry. I just dug out our info, and now I remember. We asked USAA first, they said no, but our Visa through Navy Federal does cover it, as long as you use that credit card for the car and decline the rental agency's insurance. I'm so sorry for the wrong info.

Carolyn

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising-along View Post
We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered
Suggest you double check that coverage with USAA for future reference. Unless they have changed their policies recently, DOMESTIC rental car contracts are covered, but not International.

Silver Spirit - #5138 RT FLL Xmas/New Years '11/'12 || Silver Cloud - 6/11 Italy/Greece || QM2 - 4X || HAL Zuiderdam || HAL Eurodam || QE2 || HAL Noordam 2X ||
Crown Princess 1X || Dawn Princess 2X || Island Princess 1X || Grand Princess 2X ||Star Princess 1X

Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMatesNYC View Post
Suggest you double check that coverage with USAA for future reference. Unless they have changed their policies recently, DOMESTIC rental car contracts are covered, but not International.
Right you are, my mistake. In post #10 above yours I said that I'd confused our USAA coverage with our Visa coverage through Navy Federal.

SabreSailor have you checked with your credit card company? Sometimes they cover foreign car rental insurance, as ours does.

Carolyn

Last edited by Cruising-along; August 22nd, 2008 at 04:46 PM.