Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old September 26th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Self assist debarkation

If you do self assist debarkation, does it have to be done before the 1st color/number is called or can it be done anytime. Thanks.

Old September 26th, 2008, 02:21 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthesea View Post
If you do self assist debarkation, does it have to be done before the 1st color/number is called or can it be done anytime. Thanks.
I think they expect you to be first off. Otherwise why do it.

If everyone (or a large number) do what you suggest and sign up for self assist but leave adhoc ...... think of the chaos that will be created when a mob expects to leave while others scheduled to leave need to get off to get to their bus to get to the airport.
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD

Old September 26th, 2008, 06:29 AM
40,000+ Club

As I understand, you can do self assist debarkation at any time during the process.

Old September 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

On our last cruise I put down on our request that we wanted self disembarkation & we were going to wait until 10 AM. (no ride till then) They completely disregarded it & scheduled us for the first group. Either they didn't understand me or didn't care so from now on I'll just have to do the the desk in person & explain. They were walking around checking people as to what time they were schedule to leave & were a little surprised I told them we were going to self disembark. Maybe it was because we weren't waiting with any particular group & just wandering around with our luggage.

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The US Customs Officials and Port Security Staff insist that anyone taking their own bags off the ship do so first. This avoids unnecessary congestion later when several thousand additional suitcases are delivered to the terminal.

The cruise lines have nothing to do with this decision - although it does make sense.

Taking your own suitcases off the ship only makes sense if you are in such a rush that you cannot wait for the stevedores to take them off for you.
What is the point of carrying your own suitcases off the ship later in the day?

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMuzz View Post
The US Customs Officials and Port Security Staff insist that anyone taking their own bags off the ship do so first. This avoids unnecessary congestion later when several thousand additional suitcases are delivered to the terminal.

The cruise lines have nothing to do with this decision - although it does make sense.

Taking your own suitcases off the ship only makes sense if you are in such a rush that you cannot wait for the stevedores to take them off for you.
I absolutely agree, the reason for self-disembarkation is for people who are in a hurry to get off the ship. If you want to stay on until later for whatever reason, then use the normal disembarking process.

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
5,000+ Club

Self-disembarkation is a very nice option, but not always as easy as one might think to carry and maneuer around all of your luggage, carry-ons, handbags, etc. in one trip without any assistance! I have seen folks really struggling with it! Keep in mind that in some ports you must negotiate escalators or s step here and there. I'm sure, in addition to the above comments, Princess want those doing self-disembarkation off early as they do not want the elevators tied up with the luggage.

Upcoming: Regal Princess, Jan., 2015 Caribbean

HAL Prinsendam, Northern Europe, Sept. 2014, Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Caribbean, Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Caribbean, May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Caribbean Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Caribbean-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Caribbean-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Caribbean-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Caribbean-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Mediterranean-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Caribbean-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Caribbean-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/New England-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating over 30 years of cruising!

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMuzz View Post

We travel with very lite & small luggage & it's no problem carrying out suitcases on our own. If I sign up to have Princess do it for me I have no idea at what time the particular group will be called. Since the groups are called in order now, we might be dumped on the dock 30 or 40 minutes before I really want to be there & just have to wait around anyway. I rather be sitting on the ship than standing in the parking lot, wouldn't you?

Old September 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

i've had my color called and still remained on the ship until the last groups, you dont have to get off the minute your color is called...this usually isn't a problem since the majority of the people want to get off as soon as possible

Old September 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifers490 View Post
i've had my color called and still remained on the ship until the last groups, you dont have to get off the minute your color is called...this usually isn't a problem since the majority of the people want to get off as soon as possible
Since I don't mind carrying my own luggage it equates to the same thing only I don't need to search for my luggage in the terminal.

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

With self-disembarkation, you will be assigned a time. You don't just get off whenever you want.

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppinz View Post
With self-disembarkation, you will be assigned a time. You don't just get off whenever you want.
Oh, they give you a time alright - It's the first to go at 8:15 sharp. I asked for a later time but they don't seem to care & just assign you first. This has happened numerous times & I'll try to explain to them again on the next cruise but it's just easier to go whenever.

Last edited by rcacace; September 26th, 2008 at 01:17 PM.

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

they dont give you a later time because they want everyone who is taking their own luggage off first so they dont clog the gangways and passageways when others are trying to get off. i dont think it's a big deal if you wait until the very end but getting off in between with your own stuff could slow down the process for others. i know you said you don't have a lot of luggage but some do so that's why they have it scheduled that way. if everyone got off with their own luggage when they wanted it could get very chaotic.

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifers490 View Post
they dont give you a later time because they want everyone who is taking their own luggage off first so they dont clog the gangways and passageways when others are trying to get off. i dont think it's a big deal if you wait until the very end but getting off in between with your own stuff could slow down the process for others. i know you said you don't have a lot of luggage but some do so that's why they have it scheduled that way. if everyone got off with their own luggage when they wanted it could get very chaotic.
That does make sense as it really could clog up the gangway. The last time we got off at around 10:20 AM or so I think we were almost the last to get off & there was hardly any luggage in the terminal.

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcacace View Post
Oh, they give you a time alright - It's the first to go at 8:15 sharp. I asked for a later time but they don't seem to care & just assign you first. This has happened numerous times & I'll try to explain to them again on the next cruise but it's just easier to go whenever.
I think what you're not following is that there aren't several timeslots for self-disembarkation; there is only one. So if you request self-disembarkation, you are going to be assigned the time to get off, and that is when you should get off. If you want to hang around, use the normal disembarkation procedures.

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppinz View Post
I think what you're not following is that there aren't several timeslots for self-disembarkation; there is only one. So if you request self-disembarkation, you are going to be assigned the time to get off, and that is when you should get off. If you want to hang around, use the normal disembarkation procedures.
Exactly. Those that wish to self disembark are the first ones off. This stops all the problems that those trying to carry their own luggage can cause for a massive group trying to disembark to claim their luggage in the terminal.
Self Embarkation doesn't give you a choice. You want to carry your own luggage, you are the first group off. If not, put your luggage out the last evening and claim it in the terminal. Self disembarkation is for those that wish to disembark the ship the earliest, not at their convienence.

Last edited by Toto2Kansas; September 26th, 2008 at 01:33 PM.

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto2Kansas View Post
Exactly. Those that wish to self disembark are the first ones off. This stops all the problems that those trying to carry their own luggage can cause for a massive group trying to disembark to claim their luggage in the terminal.
Self Embarkation doesn't give you a choice. You want to carry your own luggage, you are the first group off. If not, put your luggage out the last evening and claim it in the terminal. Self disembarkation is for those that wish to disembark the ship the earliest, not at their convienence.
Sure it does. No where does it say that if you want to disembark with carrying you own luggage you have to be first & at no other time. I'm all willing to accept a certain color & time slot but I'll be carrying all my luggage just like everyone else is carrying.

Old September 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Sure it does. No where does it say that if you want to disembark with carrying you own luggage you have to be first & at no other time. I'm all willing to accept a certain color & time slot but I'll be carrying all my luggage just like everyone else is carrying.
Good Luck! If you treavel very light, as you say, you probably won't have a problem.

Last edited by Toto2Kansas; September 26th, 2008 at 02:05 PM.

Old September 26th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

you can go at anytime you want,but they prefer you to go first,go when it is time for the airport,but they like everyone off by 10:30am,have a great cruise

Old September 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Why is it you insist on carrying off your luggage. The reason the cruise line provides the service is to streamline the disembarkation process.

All the rest go along with the program... why not you. If you do not need to early disembark and insist on having all your luggage... however small you claim... the rest of your fellow passengers still have to get around it in the lounge, in the buffet, on the elevator, on the ramps, in the terminal.....

Why do you specifically need this special consideration.
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD