Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old September 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Crossdressing

I am thinking of a cruise vacation later this year, but I was wondering if anyone can let me know which lines (if any) are open to crossdressers on the ship. I dont plan to scare anyone (I hope) or get in anyones space, I just would love to be dressed on ship.

Any advice?

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:59 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75 View Post
I am thinking of a cruise vacation later this year, but I was wondering if anyone can let me know which lines (if any) are open to crossdressers on the ship. I dont plan to scare anyone (I hope) or get in anyones space, I just would love to be dressed on ship.

Any advice?
Go on an RSVP or Atlantis charter - no-one will bat an eyelash.

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old October 1st, 2008, 12:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with Boytije. You could dress on a mainstream cruise, I don't think they'd throw you off the ship for it, but if you were uncomfortable with how people treated you, you'd have nowhere to go.

Old October 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I've been researching, though, and I like what I am reading about Holland America and Celebrity in terms of style, availability, and cost. I'm middle-aged and just want to quietly enjoy myself.

Any thoughts on those two lines? Or any mainstream lines?

Old October 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I've been researching, though, and I like what I am reading about Holland America and Celebrity in terms of style, availability, and cost. I'm middle-aged and just want to quietly enjoy myself.

You're quite right, they are very similar in style. I have been on both and enjoyed both. My preference is Celebrity, but that's largely because of their excellent vegetarian offerings, so that is an entirely separate reason.

Old October 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

HAL is our favorite line mostly because its a reserved line in that its not all about rock climbing and catering to more of mainstream Americans. Before anyone gets insulted, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Its just that HAL appeals to the more traditional cruiser who likes Formal nights, likes getting dressed for dinner and enjoys a violin trio as much as contemporary entertainment (HAL has both).

Whether the cross dressing would bother anyone is anyones guess. But I agree with most of the posters, the HAL environment is quiet and you could probably avoid any uncomfortable feeling you have easier on HAL than the "fun" ships.

Old October 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is good feedback, thanks! I'm not too worried about the reactions of others, I dont have many issues like that when I go out and about. Mostly I'm concerned if the cruise lines have some sort of policy (official or otherwise) condoning dressing on ship, or not allowing it.

I like HAL more and more the more I research it, and get a sense that they would be OK with it as long as I stay in keeping with their more refined image.

What about Mexico or Caribbean shore excursions? I would think that that would present the same issues that being in public anywhere would, or are there issues there to consider?

Thanks again for any comments.

Old October 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
This is good feedback, thanks! I'm not too worried about the reactions of others, I dont have many issues like that when I go out and about. Mostly I'm concerned if the cruise lines have some sort of policy (official or otherwise) condoning dressing on ship, or not allowing it.
There are no rules about crossdressing on any ship that I know of. I can think of lots of things I'd rather not see than a crossdresser . If you're comfortable I doubt anyone will even notice and if they do-so what ?

Someone else can chime in about excursions, but I know that there are places in Mexico and the Caribbean that aren't tolerant of anyone "different", so I'd be careful there.

Click for Arkansas Cruisers, Carnival Inspiration 2002, Carnival Elation 2004, Grand Princess 2004,
NCL Sun 2005, Sun Princess 2006, NCL Dream 2007, Caribbean Princess 2007, NCL Dawn 2008, Island Princess 2008, Island Princess 2009, Golden Princess 2009, Carnival Conquest 2010, Grand Princess 2010, Island Princess 2011, Grand Princess 2011, Carnival Magic 2012, Carnival Dream 2012, Island Princess 2013, Carnival Magic 2013, Carnival Legend 2014, Sea Princess 2014

Old October 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

The gender dress that you choose for registration and embarkation will be of utmost importance as you will be photographed and as you board and exit the ship, it is this photo plus one on your person that will be used to identify you. So this may present a problem. For this reason and knowing some of the feelings of the natives on the islands, we would not recommend you going ashore as such. We see no problems in you cross-dressing aboard the ship. We have stayed in major hotels in Bangkok on more than one occasion where cross-dressing is most common and accepted.

Old October 1st, 2008, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

That is an excellent insight, Ron, and possibly the one I was actually most unsure of. I would have thought that the ports in the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera would be more accepting, being international tourist attractions, but from this comment and others I think I'd best leave the skirts on the ship!

Thank you!

Old October 1st, 2008, 11:14 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
That is an excellent insight, Ron, and possibly the one I was actually most unsure of. I would have thought that the ports in the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera would be more accepting, being international tourist attractions, but from this comment and others I think I'd best leave the skirts on the ship!

Thank you!
Some of the Caribbean islands can be very conservative, lots of Evangelical Christians, but you never know what may happen. We were on a gay cruise and in St. Maarten and trying to get a cab from Orient beach to Marigot. There were about 12 of us and a driver with a minibus was going to be our driver. When getting on the bus I noticed a 'Real Men Love Jesus' sticker on the back window and though 'oh, oh'. The boys got in and were hootin' and hollerin' and camping it up. The driver did not bat an eyelid and soon acted as tour guide pointing out all the tourist sights. But I would not advise going to Jamaica and crossdressing.

Future Cruise:
Past Cruises:

Last edited by Boytjie; October 1st, 2008 at 11:19 PM.

Old October 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm sort of leaning towards a Mexican cruise...what is the general feeling in Cabo and the other ports along there?

Nobody passes perfectly, no matter what they tell you, but when I go out in cities all over the country I almost never have problems...is that any indication of how things might go?

Of course, the getting on and off the ship issue that Ron brought up is still there, and that's an important consideration too.

You all have been sooooo helpful! Thank you!

Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boytjie View Post
But I would not advise going to Jamaica and crossdressing.
Actually, I wouldn't advise going to Jamaica, period. Don't give your money to an island where the government actively sanctions assault and murder towards gay people. If you pick an itinerary that goes there, they'll get your port taxes, but at least don't ge toff the ship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon View Post
The gender dress that you choose for registration and embarkation will be of utmost importance as you will be photographed and as you board and exit the ship
Good point - and another reason to leave the skirts on the ship! If you dress on the ship and don't dress off the ship, the entering and exiting at each port won't be an issue.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

The guidance you all have been giving has been invaluable, and based on it I am going to look for a Mexican cruise later this year or early next. Most of them apparently stop at Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

Can anyone give me their insight into which of those are better for walking around, shopping, and enjoying the general ambience (I may not be wearing a dress, but I still love to shop and wander!), and which have shore excursions worth going to?

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg af5y75nf.jpg (8.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Sam75; October 2nd, 2008 at 06:44 AM.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile View Post
Actually, I wouldn't advise going to Jamaica, period. Don't give your money to an island where the government actively sanctions assault and murder towards gay people. If you pick an itinerary that goes there, they'll get your port taxes, but at least don't ge toff the ship!
Oh I agree 100%!

Future Cruise:
Past Cruises:

Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think you will be fine in PV and Cabos. There is a large gay population in PV. Mazatlan is more working class Mexico and if you venture outside the tourist area, the reception may not be as tolerant.

We were on Carnival Freedom this May and we noticed a cross-dresser on board. We noticed because we are gay. When we mentioned it to some of the straight people we met onboard, no one seems to even noticed. I supposed on any line, you may get a stare or two. But other than that, I would say no one cares one bit.

Old October 4th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I can offer you loads of advice. I am a crossdresser who has dressed on 32 cruises over the last 18 years. My wife and I sponsor 2-3 cruises each year for crossdressers and their significant others all over the world. November 29 we have a small group on a 15 day transatlantic cruise. We have never had any problems with any of the cruise lines. We do emphasize to those in our group that you must use your cabin bathroom or a unisex restroom on board if your gender marker on your passport is not female.

Melanie

Old October 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniepeg View Post
... I am a crossdresser who has dressed on 32 cruises over the last 18 years.
For the benefit of Sam75 and many of us who would appreciate a better understanding of the subject, how does one handle the personal photographing at embarkation and then departing and re entering the ship as the alternate gender? Or does one not leave the ship as such?

Old October 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

When I was on Carnival in January there was a male cross dresser who came to dinner every night in a dress. It did not appear to be a big deal to anyone. Staff or passengers.
cheers
Carnival Imagination 12/2006
Carnival Liberty 01/2008
Emerald Princess Feb 18/2009
Norwegian Dawn March 12/2010
Carnival Destiny Sept 2/2010
Carnival Magic Jan1/2012
Norwegian Epic Nov 2012
Celebrity Reflection Jan 2013

Old October 5th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon View Post
For the benefit of Sam75 and many of us who would appreciate a better understanding of the subject, how does one handle the personal photographing at embarkation and then departing and re entering the ship as the alternate gender? Or does one not leave the ship as such?
It is less hassle if you want to leave the ship enfemme that you be enfemme when your photo is taken when you first come on the ship.