Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Singles Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Singles Cruises Which cruise line offers the most for single cruisers? Solo cruisers?

Old November 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cruiselines with "shared cabin" Policy

I have been told that there are cruise lines that will allow a passenger to sign up for a cabin at the double occupacy rate and they will find a same sex, non smoker passenger to room with. If they cannot then the passengers stays in the cabin alone at the reduced rate.

Please tell me the names of the cruiselines, at which cabin catagory one must book and if they ever succeeded in having the cabin alone? The general experience?

Thanks.

Old November 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Location: La Marque, TX... about 9 miles from Galveston Island
Arrow Cruisedreamer1,

The Cruise Critic article titled Best Cruise Lines for Solo Travelers may be helpful.

Click here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419

Kat [IMG]http://skins.***********/skins/mailskins/em/110105/110105_emYA42_prv.gif[/IMG]

Being happy does not mean everything is perfect. It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections.
.................................................. ..
1988 Commodore Caribe I, 1996 Commodore Enchanted Isle, 1998 Carnival Sensation, 2000 Celebrity Century, 2001 Carnival Celebration, 2002 Carnival Jubilee, 2004 Carnival Glory, 2005 Royal Caribbean International Rhapsody of The Seas, 2007 Carnival Conquest, 2010 Celebrity Infinity, 2011 Carnival Conquest, 2011 Celebrity Summit, 2014 Carnival Sensation

Old November 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisedreamer1 View Post
I have been told that there are cruise lines that will allow a passenger to sign up for a cabin at the double occupacy rate and they will find a same sex, non smoker passenger to room with. If they cannot then the passengers stays in the cabin alone at the reduced rate.

Please tell me the names of the cruiselines, at which cabin catagory one must book and if they ever succeeded in having the cabin alone? The general experience?

Thanks.
I have signed up for single-share with Holland America four times - twice tghey did not match me, so I got the cabin to myself with no single-supplement. Twice I was matched - with a compatible man my own age . One time my cabin-mate "connected" with a woman passenger the second night - moved out and gave me tghe next eight days with my own cabin. The fourth time things worked out well --we discussed up front how to share, and there was no conflct. It is important to set out mutually agreed-upon guidelines to avoid unpleasant surprises and friction. a great way to save money - but still your own cabin is preferable -- unless you are sailing with a good friend whose travel habits are known.

Old November 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
5,000+ Club

I should have added that each time I signed up for an outside cabin - can't stand inside - and twice got upgrade - once with own cabin and once sharing.

Old November 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Cruise Critic Host

Location: La Marque, TX... about 9 miles from Galveston Island
Smile Just trying to help a little bit more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisedreamer1 View Post
... if they ever succeeded in having the cabin alone? The general experience?...
I found an "oldie" thread on the Solo Cruisers Forum that may help you titled Room Share Program.

Click here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=761130
Kat [IMG]http://skins.***********/skins/mailskins/em/070106/070106YA43_prv.gif[/IMG]

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

My understanding was that most, if not all of the cruise lines had abandoned their single share programs because of both the legal liabilities and the expense of dealing with complaints, unhappy pairings, etc.

Am I wrong? I sure can't find mention of single share programs on any of the lines websites.
Carnival Legend, 10/07/2007
Carnival Sensation, 05/28/2006
Carnival Sensation, 07/01/2004

Old December 26th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool check around ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grump View Post
My understanding was that most, if not all of the cruise lines had abandoned their single share programs because of both the legal liabilities and the expense of dealing with complaints, unhappy pairings, etc.

Am I wrong? I sure can't find mention of single share programs on any of the lines websites.
The cruiselines may have given it up

but there are several other agencies that have singles cruises ,
where you do have that option through them to match you up with a cabin mate.
I am doing that in May 2009 with a singles cruise
It will be my first
and I am so excited about it

I might be OK
Even if I am not on a ship today
May I have the strength to lose my blues
Until the time comes when I can cruise !

Previous Cruises
1 Fantasy March 2007 - Costa Maya & Cozumel
2 Fantasy October 2007 -Cozumel & Progreso
3 Triumph October 2008 - Ocho Rios & Grand cayman & Cozumel
4 Triumph May 17,2009 -Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman & Belize
5 Liberty October 2009 - EASTERN CARIBBEAN-HALF MOON CAY,ST THOMAS,SAN JUAN, GRAND TURK

http://community.webshots.com/user/c...host=community

Old December 26th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

As previously mentioned HAL does it

http://book.hollandamerica.com/onboard/single.do

The Carnival stopped doing it, more so due to lack of interest. They were giving away too many balcony cabins to single men.

Old December 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCaribbean View Post
As previously mentioned HAL does it

http://book.hollandamerica.com/onboard/single.do

The Carnival stopped doing it, more so due to lack of interest. They were giving away too many balcony cabins to single men.
As a single man, I'm all in favor of being given a balcony cabin!

Thanks so much for the link. Unfortunately, if you click on "Find Cruises" link on that page, it bombs out. So, while they may still do it, it's not available via the website (presently).
Carnival Legend, 10/07/2007
Carnival Sensation, 05/28/2006
Carnival Sensation, 07/01/2004

Last edited by grump; December 26th, 2008 at 04:48 PM.

Old December 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
As a single man, I'm all in favor of being given a balcony cabin!

Thanks so much for the link. Unfortunately, if you click on "Find Cruises" link on that page, it bombs out. So, while they may still do it, it's not available via the website (presently).
Just give them a call.

Old January 9th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sailing Solo

Hi Folks,

I am sailing on the Carnival Valor on 22 Feb. I enjoy being on my own but it is always nice to have someone with whom to go to the Captain's reception.

I meet people easily so I suspect I will meet some wonderful people, single or married.

I like to dance and decided long ago that I would get up and dance alone or sit and wait for the imaginary dance partner to appear. It may look a bit odd, but at the end of the day I will be glad that I did what i enjoyed. Other people will not remember me in a day or a week...I will remember what I did for a lifetime!
Sailing Solo,
Cynthia
Sun Quest ? (B2B)
Norweigan Dawn (B2B)
Noweigan Dawn (B2B)
Celebrity Zenith
Celebrity Zenith
Princess Dawn (B2B)
Celebrity Galaxy
Celebrity Galaxy
Holland Maasdam?
Carnival Valor