Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Panama Canal

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Need to get from Colon to Panama City

We are on Enchantment of Seas cruise that ends in Colon on Dec. 7.. We need to get to PTY airport in Panama City by 2pm for a flt. The train doesnt run on Sundays and the Rent a car agencies are closed also. Has anyone used the express buses or a taxi here? thanks

Old November 15th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcruiselovers View Post
We are on Enchantment of Seas cruise that ends in Colon on Dec. 7.. We need to get to PTY airport in Panama City by 2pm for a flt. The train doesnt run on Sundays and the Rent a car agencies are closed also. Has anyone used the express buses or a taxi here? thanks
We went to Panama City a few years ago, I made a mental note to never try and drive in Panama. It was crazy how they drove. We hired a taxi and he took us all over and the next day he took us back to the airport. I would hire a taxi.

Past Cruises: Our wedding cruise and my Milestone cruise, Legend 11-20-2011!!Paradise 5/27/11, Legend 4/25/10,Destiny 2/4/10, Legend 10/18/09 (Saints and Sinners 5), Miracle4/6/09(My Baby turned 21), Destiny 12/11/08, Destiny 10/30/08 (Saints & Sinners), Glory 10/11/08, Inspiration 03/20/08, Inspiration 11/29/07, Inspiration 4/19/07, Inspiration 1/25/07, Victory 11/19/06, Inspiration 8/24/06, Celebration 2/25/06 (Platinum), Inspiration 1/27/04, Fantasy 12/7/03, Spirit 6/11/03, Fantasy 1/30/03, Sensation 4/14/02, Paradise 4/8/01, Paradise 10/8/00, Fantasy 8/12/99, Fantasy 2/11/99, Big Red Boat 10/93

Old November 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Since this is a new homeport for RCI, I would give serious consideration to taking whatever transportation RCI maybe offering to the airport. There may not be any dedicated shuttle services available yet, although I'm sure you could get a cab, I have no idea what to expect when it comes to the fare. Tocumen airport, (PTY) is on the outskirts of Panama City and is about 1.5 hours from Colon/Cristobal. My point here is that you would be eadier to make the airport your destination from Colon, rather than getting to Panama City and then going to the airport. Portions of the road are being widened and you could encounter construction delays or some heavy traffic. Since you will travelling on Sunday, construction and traffic may not be a major worry in the AM.

Good Luck!
S.S. Badger R/T from Manitowoc June 02

Old November 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default thanks for the advice but...

Thanks for the advice so far. RCCL has a shore excursion to Panama City with an airport drop off , but it shows it as a 7 hr excursion which puts us too late for our flight. I called RCCL and they were totally useless and couldnt tell me what they do for 7 hrs. If anyone wants to share a taxi or van to PTY airport please let us know..thanks..