Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old November 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What is a Tender Port?

I've been reading all kinds of posts both in this thread and in others, where references are made to a tender port. What is that, and what's the difference between that and others?

Cruised Alaska--Carnival Spirit 6/1/2010
Cruised Caribbean (Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Honduras)--Carnival Glory 12/13/2009
Cruised Caribbean (Cozumel, Calica)--Holiday 12/1/2008

Old November 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
5,000+ Club

At a regular port, the ship will pull up to the pier or dock, and you get off and walk or ride to whatever activity you're doing.

At a tender port, the ship isn't able to pull up to the pier or dock, usually because it's too shallow. You'll be loaded onto a small vessel called a tender, and taken to shore that way. Sometimes if there are a lot of ships at a regular port, some of the ships may have to stay offshore and bring their passengers in by tender.

Hope this answers your question.

Roz

Old November 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, it does. Now I feel kind of silly. That makes perfect sense, but I guess you never know til you ask, right?? Thanks!

Cruised Caribbean (Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Honduras)--Carnival Glory 12/13/2009

Old November 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM
50,000+ Club

The tenders aren't that small--they usually hold about 100 folks or so...so we're not talking rowboat!

Old November 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, although I did know what a tender was, I have always wondered how many people they held Once they have ferried all passengers ashore, do they then go back and forth all day long, or do they wait till they are filled before they go back to the ship?

Old November 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The tenders aren't that small--they usually hold about 100 folks or so...so we're not talking rowboat!

Thanks for clarifying. After I logged off earlier, I got started thinking about that. I wasn't thinking Titanic or anything, but I have to say I was using my imagination a little bit. . .

Old November 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefa View Post
Thanks, although I did know what a tender was, I have always wondered how many people they held Once they have ferried all passengers ashore, do they then go back and forth all day long, or do they wait till they are filled before they go back to the ship?
The tenders will run all day and leave on a regular basis regardless of load. Usually it is dictated by when the next tender arrives at the shore pier, the loading one leaves.
HAL(22) Rotterdam V - Caribbean, Rotterdam VI (3)- Panama, South America, Black Sea/Egypt, Noordam III(6) - Caribbean(4), Baltic, Mediterranean, Noordam IV-Caribbean, Statendam(3) - Alaska, NZ/Oz, Panama Canal Westerdam(3) - Caribbean, Zuiderdam(2)- Caribbean, Maasdam - North Atlantic (Voyage of the Vikings), Eurodam - Canada/NE, Prinsendam - British Isles
Celebrity(2) Constellation - Caribbean, Horizon - Bermuda
Sun Cruises(2) Carousel - Mediterranean, Sunbird - Caribbean
Windstar(1) Wind Surf - Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean(2) Splendour(2) Eastern Mediterranean
Disney(4) Magic(3) - Caribbean(2), Mediterranean
Wonder - Caribbean
Princess(1) Golden Princess - Caribbean
NCL(1) Norwegian Sun - Hawaii
Azamara (3) - Quest(3) - Caribbean(2), SE Asia
Orient Royal (1) - East King - Yangtze
CroisiEurope (1) MS Monet-Rhlne
AMA(2) AMADaggio-Rhone, AMASonata-Amsterdam-Budapest
G Adventures(1) Daphne - Galapagos

Next up Eurodam Dec. 28

"If a man is talking in the woods and no woman is around, is he still wrong?"

Old November 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh2zed View Post
The tenders will run all day and leave on a regular basis regardless of load. Usually it is dictated by when the next tender arrives at the shore pier, the loading one leaves.
Something not mentioned to the OP is that ports that require tendering can be missed if the weather conditions are not favorable or declared unsafe for passengers or the vessels..... i.e. private islands or Grand Caymen as examples.

Old November 19th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincountrygirl View Post
I've been reading all kinds of posts both in this thread and in others, where references are made to a tender port. What is that, and what's the difference between that and others?
Hello,

The other responders have answered your question about tendering. With your permission i am going to add the following...

Cruise ships have tendering operations down to an exact science so there is no need for you to lose sleep over this. Just remember that for a passenger you keep your sense of humor at all times, that you note where your ship's tender dock is located and...you keep track of the time, and note in your memory the time of the last tender is scheduled to go back to the ship.

It is also (this is just me) a good idea to wear some type of non skid shoes as it can get a little wet on the steps going from the ship to the tender and vice versa. There will be crew members all over to help you on and off the tender....they tend to be short, brown, exceptionally helpful and friendly, and strong as oxes.

Hope that this helps (but if it doesn't, I 'm sure that you'll forgive me).

Fred

Old November 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincountrygirl View Post

Ahh a "Tender Port" is a port in which you are treated with tender loving care where a "regular port" is one where you are treated in a regular manner.. Just messing with you.. The answer to your question has been answered and I could not resist.. Enjoy your cruise...