Oasis of the Seas Live: Float Out and Ship Tour

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

#1
Boston, MA
1,075 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic's Editor in Chief Carolyn Spencer Brown will be at STX Europe Finland shipyard in Turku, Finland tomorrow to witness the revolutionary Oasis of the Seas -- the largest cruise ship every built (by 40 percent!) -- take to the water for the first time. This is known as the "float out" in maritime parlance.

In addition to attending the official float out ceremony, she'll be taking a tour of the under-construction behemoth. Since it's still roughly a year from launch, Oasis' guts will look pretty much like what you'd expect from a construction zone -- exposed wires, pneumatic tubing, metal frame, stacks of lumber -- but from the outside, we'll begin to get an idea of how the ship's now iconic "skyscrapers," housing inward-facing boardwalk and central park balconies, are shaping up.

And that's not it. Brown will also get a sneak peek at a life-size mockup of one of Oasis' revolutionary two-story loft cabins during a tour of STX Europe Cabins (the yard's onsite cabin factory).

There are sure to be a few other surprises to announce during the day. Stay tuned for photo-heavy reports from the scene.

If you have any questions for Carolyn, post away!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dan Askin
Senior Editor

Click to Play!






#2
Utah
3,218 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Will you be posting those updates and pics here on this thread or will it be somewhere else, don't want to miss anything.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#3
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
30,875 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Dan Askin
Hi everyone,

Cruise Critic's Editor in Chief Carolyn Spencer Brown will be at STX Europe Finland shipyard in Turku, Finland tomorrow to witness the revolutionary Oasis of the Seas -- the largest cruise ship every built (by 40 percent!) -- take to the water for the first time. This is known as the "float out" in maritime parlance.

In addition to attending the official float out ceremony, she'll be taking a tour of the under-construction behemoth. Since it's still roughly a year from launch, Oasis' guts will look pretty much like what you'd expect from a construction zone -- exposed wires, pneumatic tubing, metal frame, stacks of lumber -- but from the outside, we'll begin to get an idea of how the ship's now iconic "skyscrapers," housing inward-facing boardwalk and central park balcony balconies, are shaping up.

And that's not it. Brown will also get a sneak peek at a life-size mockup of one of Oasis' revolutionary two-story loft cabins during a tour of STX Europe Cabins (the yard's onsite cabin factory).

There are sure to be a few other surprises to announce during the day. Stay tuned for photo-heavy reports from the scene.

If you have any questions for Carolyn, post away!
Great news... hoping to see a photo or two of this big event when Oasis will be in its natural element 'the sea'
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMMY

FUN~FEATHERS~FRIENDS
#4
Boston, MA
1,075 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by landj4always
Will you be posting those updates and pics here on this thread or will it be somewhere else, don't want to miss anything.
That's right, we'll be posting updates and pics here on this thread. We'll also be working on a separate piece about the float out ceremony itself, but will be sure to let the folks know when it's up. Here's another resource: Our Countdown to Oasis of the Seas page. It's an homage to Oasis.

Thanks,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dan Askin
Senior Editor

Click to Play!






#5
Philadelphia
807 Posts
Joined May 2006
Posted by Carlos Fernandez on the Cruise Page message boards.

Thought you might like to see this before tomorrow







Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Freedom of the Seas - 12/06
Freedom of the Seas - 1/08
Independence of the Seas - 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 9/10
Oasis of the Seas 9/11
Independence of the Seas 12/13
Serenade 12/14
Anthem 11/30/15
#6
25,372 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Hi Carolyn

Could you please ask those in the "know" if the Oasis is still on schedule for delivery in Nov 09 and therefore be heading across the pond on the 4th Nov 09.

Thanks
#7
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
30,875 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Elizanessie
Hi Carolyn

Could you please ask those in the "know" if the Oasis is still on schedule for delivery in Nov 09 and therefore be heading across the pond on the 4th Nov 09.

Thanks
Great question Liz..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMMY

FUN~FEATHERS~FRIENDS
#8
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
30,875 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
My question is how long of a process to fill this dock with water for the floatout of Oasis
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMMY

FUN~FEATHERS~FRIENDS
#9
New Jersey
3,516 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Will do --

Carolyn

Originally posted by Elizanessie
Hi Carolyn

Could you please ask those in the "know" if the Oasis is still on schedule for delivery in Nov 09 and therefore be heading across the pond on the 4th Nov 09.

Thanks
#10
New Jersey
3,516 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
We were talking about this tonight at dinner (Royal Caribbean UK p.r., UK journalists). Normally it's about 16 hours or so, so those who attend the float out don't, alas, actually get to see the ship float! I think with Oasis it'll probably be a touch longer....

I am hoping on Saturday, mid-day, to go 'round to the peninsula that faces Oasis across the river and shoot some photos but it's going to be a grey day here and I can't promise anything....

Carolyn

Originally posted by emmy
My question is how long of a process to fill this dock with water for the floatout of Oasis
#11
Taylor, Michigan
1,849 Posts
Joined May 2000
We can't wait for the float out.... we just got back from the Indy Transatlantic crossing. It sure was a great cruise and we met a lot of wonderful new friends. The seas were calm and the days sunny, it was so pleasurable to have the fall back in time in increments so we got an extra hour of sleep every now and then. Still not sure if we liked the Indy or the Liberty better! The TV's were very nice and they were better than those on the Freedom and Liberty. The tea pot in the cabin was so nice we hope they put them on all the RCI ships.

We also got to see the Solstice in Fort Lauderdale on our way to port and she will be our next B2B cruise in March.

Irene & Miles
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#12
Wisconsin
3,226 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
WOW! Great Pictures! What an amazing day tomorrow will be! History will be made!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Well Yes I Am From Wisconsin thread!
Past Cruises At Only 15!
2003 Radiance Of The Seas
2004 Mariner Of The Seas
2005 Mariner Of The Seas
2006 Voyager Of The Seas
2007 Explorer Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas
2008 Voyager Of The Seas
2009 Mariner Of The Seas (Inaugural Cruise From LA),Liberty Of The Seas, Mariner Of The Seas (Pacific Coastal) Oasis Of The Seas (First Pre-inaugural plus front row seats for Rihanna!) Oasis Of The Seas (TV Crew, Interviews, A Dream Come True!) Oasis Of The Seas (Inaugural)
2010 Oasis Of The Seas
I'm now Diamond Plus!

NEXT UP:




Allure Of The Seas December 5, 2010
Allure Of The Seas January 2, 2011
#13
New Jersey
3,516 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Yes, right here! We'll have a news item on the float out (in the news item spot) but otherwise, all photos and comments right here.

Carolyn


Originally posted by landj4always
Will you be posting those updates and pics here on this thread or will it be somewhere else, don't want to miss anything.
#15
Wisconsin
3,226 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
From cruisepage.com and Carlos Fernandez

Larger Version

Larger Version

Larger Version
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Well Yes I Am From Wisconsin thread!
Past Cruises At Only 15!
2003 Radiance Of The Seas
2004 Mariner Of The Seas
2005 Mariner Of The Seas
2006 Voyager Of The Seas
2007 Explorer Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas
2008 Voyager Of The Seas
2009 Mariner Of The Seas (Inaugural Cruise From LA),Liberty Of The Seas, Mariner Of The Seas (Pacific Coastal) Oasis Of The Seas (First Pre-inaugural plus front row seats for Rihanna!) Oasis Of The Seas (TV Crew, Interviews, A Dream Come True!) Oasis Of The Seas (Inaugural)
2010 Oasis Of The Seas
I'm now Diamond Plus!

NEXT UP:




Allure Of The Seas December 5, 2010
Allure Of The Seas January 2, 2011
#16
Utah
3,218 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by ichur
We can't wait for the float out.... we just got back from the Indy Transatlantic crossing. It sure was a great cruise and we met a lot of wonderful new friends. The seas were calm and the days sunny, it was so pleasurable to have the fall back in time in increments so we got an extra hour of sleep every now and then. Still not sure if we liked the Indy or the Liberty better! The TV's were very nice and they were better than those on the Freedom and Liberty. The tea pot in the cabin was so nice we hope they put them on all the RCI ships.

We also got to see the Solstice in Fort Lauderdale on our way to port and she will be our next B2B cruise in March.

Irene & Miles
Welcome back Irene, glad to hear you guys had a great time.

Thanks for info on tomorrow all, will be here to see it all as it comes in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#18
Lawton OK
8,356 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
OMGosh, She's simply beautiful! Thank you so much for this thread, and the amazing pictures.
I'll be glued to the computer tomorrow. Carolyn,
,just to make sure I understand the process. Are you saying they will begin filling the tank tomorrow, but Oasis won't actually float till sometime Saturday?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brenda






Past cruises

11/12/16 Harmony Of the Seas first Caribbean sailing.
02/09/15 Majesty of the Seas
11/30/14 Navigator of the Seas
12/01/13 Navigator of the Seas
09/30/13 Enchantment of the Seas
09/10/12 Majesty of the Seas
02/11/12 Voyager of the Seas
11/27/10 Freedom of the Seas
12/02/10 Carnival Sensation
12/05/10 Allure of the Seas Maiden Voyage
11/27/09 Oasis of the Seas preinaugural
11/30/09 Oasis of the Seas naming ceremony cruise
12/01/09 Oasis of the Seas Labadee Extravaganza
12/05/09 Oasis of the Seas Inaugural sailing
12/24/08 Disney Wonder
11/19/06 Rhapsody of the Seas
11/29/05 Rhapsody of the Seas
11/30/03 Rhapsody of the Seas
11/28/02 Carnival Jubilee
12/24/01 Disney Wonder
#19
Wisconsin
3,226 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Some more!
\

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Well Yes I Am From Wisconsin thread!
Past Cruises At Only 15!
2003 Radiance Of The Seas
2004 Mariner Of The Seas
2005 Mariner Of The Seas
2006 Voyager Of The Seas
2007 Explorer Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas
2008 Voyager Of The Seas
2009 Mariner Of The Seas (Inaugural Cruise From LA),Liberty Of The Seas, Mariner Of The Seas (Pacific Coastal) Oasis Of The Seas (First Pre-inaugural plus front row seats for Rihanna!) Oasis Of The Seas (TV Crew, Interviews, A Dream Come True!) Oasis Of The Seas (Inaugural)
2010 Oasis Of The Seas
I'm now Diamond Plus!

NEXT UP:




Allure Of The Seas December 5, 2010
Allure Of The Seas January 2, 2011
#20
Lawton OK
8,356 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Man it looks cold there Thanks for posting more pics
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brenda






Past cruises

11/12/16 Harmony Of the Seas first Caribbean sailing.
02/09/15 Majesty of the Seas
11/30/14 Navigator of the Seas
12/01/13 Navigator of the Seas
09/30/13 Enchantment of the Seas
09/10/12 Majesty of the Seas
02/11/12 Voyager of the Seas
11/27/10 Freedom of the Seas
12/02/10 Carnival Sensation
12/05/10 Allure of the Seas Maiden Voyage
11/27/09 Oasis of the Seas preinaugural
11/30/09 Oasis of the Seas naming ceremony cruise
12/01/09 Oasis of the Seas Labadee Extravaganza
12/05/09 Oasis of the Seas Inaugural sailing
12/24/08 Disney Wonder
11/19/06 Rhapsody of the Seas
11/29/05 Rhapsody of the Seas
11/30/03 Rhapsody of the Seas
11/28/02 Carnival Jubilee
12/24/01 Disney Wonder