Is "Guaranteed Veranda" too risky?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:03 AM.
#1
81 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I noticed that "Guaranteed Veranda" rates are significantly lower. I know that you get your room assigned only when you get onboard. Is it worth the saved money or is it too risky? Are the veranda views really that obstructed on Solstice?

Thanks!
#2
260 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
We did a Guarenteed Veranda for our upcoming TA and found out the room assignment within a day or two. We usually get an inside but the price was so good we "splurged" and figured even an obstructed view was worth it. So, ask yourself "Is there a room I would be unhappy with at the price I am paying" If yes, then don't take the chance. On the other hand, if you do find out early and don't like your room assignment you could probably still upgrade.
#3
Michigan
2,732 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
After 18 cruises, we learned to choose the particular cabin we want. We have saved a ton of money by suffering with a cabin in a noisy location. We have even been upgraded to suites---but in a noisy location. To us, it's not worth it. But, I am fussy about noise. Actually, cruise ships are pretty noisy and creaky. I just like to have some control, or I will complain the entire time.
#4
Port St Lucie Florida
932 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
DH and I are on the 12/7 sailing with a CC Aft Veranda.

After going to the Naming Ceremony and two day sailing I did something that I NEVER do. I booked a Veranda guarantee for the 4/12 sailing of Solstice.

The price was so much lower than choosing our cabin that I decided that I'd take the chance to be back on Solstice again. It was just a bit more than an inside so I'll take the chance and if our cabin is obstructed. considering the beauty of the ship it will be worth it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
View Our cruise photos at:


http://community.webshots.com/user/rmaranda48

Past Cruises :

Royal Caribbean -- 20 (24 Cruise Credits)
Celebrity -- 11 (14 Cruise Credits)
Carnival -- 6
NCL -- 2
Princess -- 2
HAL -- 1
Future Cruises :



#5
West Miami, Florida
299 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
On our October wine cruise our friends changed their cabin assignment at the last minute to oceanview guarantee. In a couple of days they got their cabin assignment and they had been upgraded to a CC Balcony Cabin in a very great location! We then decided to book a veranda guarantee in the Solstice and in a couple of days we were assigned our cabin. We got a cabin in the same category that we had booked in a pretty good location. No upgrade and not an osbstructed cabin. We got exactly what we had paid for.
#6
Fair Lawn, NJ
2,830 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Linda: I too am a noise fanatic...I'm still working on finding the least noisy cabins/areas.....What have you found? Seems wherever I am I hear weird banging & of course slamming noises all the time....Any recommendations?

OP: I agree w/Linda...it's really up to you & whether there are any cabins in that category you'd be particularly unhappy with. I'll tell you...I was under the main deck once & when they move the chairs around in the middle of the night/early morning...well, it ain't pretty....wasn't in my cabin anyway! LOL. If you're really flexible, though, I think you could save a lot of $$ by going w/a guarantee.
#7
571 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
We're also looking at a veranda GTY on Solstice. Here's the wording from the X site: "**All Category 07 staterooms have a veranda with an obstructed view."

What exactly is the obstruction?
#9
Port St Lucie Florida
932 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by jayoldschool
We're also looking at a veranda GTY on Solstice. Here's the wording from the X site: "**All Category 07 staterooms have a veranda with an obstructed view."

What exactly is the obstruction?
Life boats

If you look at a picture of each side of the ship you will see the orange life boats and at the middle of this row are three larger life boats. These are all Catagory 7. There is the chance with the Veranda GTY that you could get one of these larger boats in your line of vision. I didn't count how many of these on each side and didn't see them when I was onboard last weekend.

If you go the the Celebrity website and pull up Solstice you can see deck 7 and count how many thus giving a better idea of the chance you might be one of the people to get this type of veranda.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
View Our cruise photos at:


http://community.webshots.com/user/rmaranda48

Past Cruises :

Royal Caribbean -- 20 (24 Cruise Credits)
Celebrity -- 11 (14 Cruise Credits)
Carnival -- 6
NCL -- 2
Princess -- 2
HAL -- 1
Future Cruises :



#10
176 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Carol Anne
Life boats

If you look at a picture of each side of the ship you will see the orange life boats and at the middle of this row are three larger life boats. These are all Catagory 7. There is the chance with the Veranda GTY that you could get one of these larger boats in your line of vision. I didn't count how many of these on each side and didn't see them when I was onboard last weekend.

If you go the the Celebrity website and pull up Solstice you can see deck 7 and count how many thus giving a better idea of the chance you might be one of the people to get this type of veranda.
You can see clearly what the obstructions are in this Starboard view of the Solstice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Celebrity Solstice Starboard View.jpg (19.3 KB, 203 views)
#12
571 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
So, we would be looking down on a lifeboat, correct?

Also, are 2A, 2B, 2C, and 1A, 1B category 7? They all have that same message ("obstructed view.") on the X site...

This is a little confusing...
#13
4,575 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
Do not do an X gty on the Solstice. My Cat 2C balcony cabin was a good 55% obstructed... and even after the recategorizing - it is still a 2C.

If obstructions don't bother you, then the X gty would be okay.
#14
Central California
10,231 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
OP didn't mention booking on Solstice, or did I miss something?

We did a veranda guarantee on Summit and were assigned a 2A (lowest veranda is 2C). It was WAY forward and we were concerned about motion. We easily switched for another available 2A by one call to our TA.

OTOH, when we boarded, we were able to upgrade to a CC for $200/pp--which was worth it to us for a 14 day cruise.

We had decided that we would be okay with the 'worst' balcony cabin--on Summit I don't believe any are obstructed views, however.

Good luck whatever you decide.
#15
81 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Cathy - I'll be booking on the Solstice...it's my first cruise EVER

We have decided to spring for the Concierge Class. Do you all think it is worth the extra money? I noticed that they have a GTY rate for Concierge Class as well and was thinking that this would be OK since all of the CC rooms are supposed to have unobstructed views. What do you think?
#16
4,575 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
Originally posted by Chocolate Chip Cookie
Cathy - I'll be booking on the Solstice...it's my first cruise EVER

We have decided to spring for the Concierge Class. Do you all think it is worth the extra money? I noticed that they have a GTY rate for Concierge Class as well and was thinking that this would be OK since all of the CC rooms are supposed to have unobstructed views. What do you think?

They are fine. Have a great cruise.
#17
Central California
10,231 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
One advantage to booking the guarantee CC is that you have the possibility of being upgraded to a higher category--slim, but there. Also, as I mentioned, once you get assigned a cabin, you may have the option of switching to something available that you prefer--we switched fore for aft and it worked perfectly.

Good luck--wish I was in your shoes!

Cathy
#18
Near Tampa, Florida
3,142 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Before reading this board, I booked a guarantee balcony on Solstice based on my TA's recommendation.

Two things....I was told I wouldn't be told my cabin # until a week before our sailing date of 12/14. Is this correct? Anyway I can find out sooner?

Probably dumb blonde question, but...

If I get the worst obstructed view would this mean the lifeboats would be out in front of my balcony or just below it?

If it is below it, than wouldn't the view from the deck above that still be looking down at the lifeboats also, thus being obstructed views?

Thanks so much
Barbara
#19
Central California
10,231 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Can't answer the 2nd question, but I received my assignment about a week after booking. . .and I believe that's more the norm than just before boarding. However with Solstice being new and popular, YMMV.

Have a great cruise wherever you end up!
#20
81 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by CathyCruises
One advantage to booking the guarantee CC is that you have the possibility of being upgraded to a higher category--slim, but there. Also, as I mentioned, once you get assigned a cabin, you may have the option of switching to something available that you prefer--we switched fore for aft and it worked perfectly.

Good luck--wish I was in your shoes!

Cathy
Oh thats an appealing gamble...the possibility of getting upgrading. The only thing that concerns me about booking GYT Concierge Class is that my boyfriend is convinced that he only wants a room on the side of the ship (meaning he doesn't want an aft room)...although I don't know where this is coming from since neither of us have ever been on a cruise LOL and it seems like everyone else is going crazy for the aft cabins. However I am thinking that because the aft rooms are so popular, they probably wont be available for GTY bookings anyways.