Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old November 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Bad Weather Disrupts Med Sailings

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Bad Weather Disrupts Med Sailings

Read the entire news article...

Old November 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Bad Weather Disrupts Med Sailings

Read the entire news article...
Where did you get this information about the Grand Princess ??
And the fact that no one had disrupted plans ? This is hogwash ! Hundreds were disrupted ! Princess would love to wallpaper over this entire incident. It was truly scary. The ship was rocking badly.......traveling far too fast for conditions........and listing to the Starboard side. It lost power for several minutes.......windows were blown out on the 8th Deck........windows blown out of Sabatini's restaurant.......a lifeboat lost........an engine blown.......a propellor lost........glasses flying and paintings coming off the walls. Several were thown out of bed. All passengers---and crew---- were asked to stay in their staterooms. Many Crew ----supposedly put their lifeboats on. It was wild ! I cruise ALOT........was on Deck 10 all the way forward on the Starboard.........and was shocked at how much trouble this ship was in ! This ship is tremendous. I do believe that when we lost power......and were listing.......that we could have easily ROLLED.
We were to arrive in the port at 4 am............and then told we would arrive at 2 pm. We arrived a bit sooner at 12:30.......but it took HOURS to Disembark that ship. It took me an hour and a half---at least---to get off and I had Priority Disembarcation. I missed my morning flight---by a mile----and had to spend two nights in a hotel and a huge change fee to fly home two days later. My story was basically the same of everyone ! Some were lucky and got out the next day.
This was a huge incident and Princess is not being forthcoming about what really happened. If they claim "weather related"---they avoid a ton of problems for themselves.

Old November 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
5,000+ Club

My neighbour has just returned from the Med - she was on Celebrity Galaxy and they experienced problems too although apparently not as serious as those you describe, plaid. It sounds really scary.

They missed Naples and had to cut back to a speed of 7 Knots (I wonder what speed the Grand Princess was trying to maintain?) and arrived very late at Civitavecchia. She is a very seasoned cruiser and says she's never experienced anything like it before. Sounds as though it was ROUGH!!!!! Pleased in the circumstances that we've not heard of any injuries or major mishaps though.

Old November 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Response to Grand Princess cruise 11/10 - 11/22

Here was a commentary already posted about the final day of the Grand Princess Mediterranean cruise from 11/10 - 11/22:

"Grand Princess was en route to its turnaround port of Rome Friday evening after a 12-day Egypt and Aegean cruise when it hit the severe weather. During that time, there was a brief loss of power which resulted in the ship arriving back into port late on Saturday (around lunchtime). Fortunately, no one missed return flights due to the delay, and the ship was able to depart on its next 21-day transatlantic cruise as planned."

The comment "Fortunately, no one missed return flights due to the delay..." is total nonsense. Many return flights went out Saturday (11/22) morning and as the posting says "...the ship arriving back into port on Saturday (around lunchtime)..." I missed my flight from Rome to Philadelphia and I had to wait 2 days to get a return flight back. Virtually hundreds of people who missed Saturday morning flights showed up in the afternoon at the Hilton Rome Airport Hotel where I stayed. The way Princess handled the whole situation (especially personnel telling passengers falsehoods about furnishing alternate flight plans...) looked as if they have never had a ship return late to port on the last day. I will have to think twice about cruising on Princess again.

Old November 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

My wife and I missed our flight, got dumped by Princess, got lied to, insulted and ignored. We had to pay out of pocket for hotel accomodations and for a flight back since Princess refused to do anything to help...even though I checked with the pursers desk TWICE to make sure they would take care of us. Both times I was lied to. I am livid with the way Princess treated the passengers that came off the ship with questions and worries.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Grand Princess Lack of Information

My wife and I have traveled 32 times with Princess and I can't believe how management handled this misadventure. At 9 pm we experienced the first violent jarring of the ship. We then experienced an intense violent shaking of the ship, which was greater than the first, at 11:10 pm. The lights went out for 10 minutes and then went off again for 2 hours. It was dead silent so we knew that something must be wrong with the engines too. The first announcement was from the staff captain who sounded frantic but assured us that all was well, even though it felt like the ship was going to roll over. The second announcement was from the Captain who said everything is ok and power would be back on shortly but stay in your cabins. There were no further explanations. Many passengers missed their flights and were sent to the airport Hilton without any travel information. Some passengers were given assistance others were not. Princess should have established procedures to handle delay problems. There was a total lack of communication and rumors were flying. My conclusion is that Princess did not want to admit to going too fast (21 knots) in very rough seas with gale force winds. They kept saying due to "adverse weather conditions" ie. they probably didn't want to give out any further information about the situation so they won't have to pay. I can only hope that this was an isolated incident and that passengers will be compensated for their inconvenience. This experience is not good PR for Princess. Where did the initial report to Cruise Critic come from? Santa Clarita? Sounded like a white washed press statement.

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in gale force winds on our last TA and although we had rocking, nothing like you described. One thing I can say, if the captain lost power then he probably lost the stabilizers. Have sailed on the Grand before and have been caught in rough seas as well. To me, she is not smooth riding.......

INSIDE/OUTSIDE AND LUVIN' IT NOW!

Old November 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieanne View Post
We were in gale force winds on our last TA and although we had rocking, nothing like you described. One thing I can say, if the captain lost power then he probably lost the stabilizers. Have sailed on the Grand before and have been caught in rough seas as well. To me, she is not smooth riding.......
I have to agree with you about Grand princess not riding well in the water. She seems to pitch and roll in the mildest storms.

Old November 26th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default 18.6--22 knots on the Grand Princess......

I kept checking the tv to see how fast the Grand Princess was going the night of Nov. 21 in the Mediterranean.......and the tv kept showing 18.6-22 knots. After we lost power......our stabilizers....etc.etc.etc.....the ship seemed to slow down to 6 or 7 knots when it was moving again. Only one propellor appeared to be working from then on.......and only one engine.
In that rough water and gale force winds....they had been going far too fast.
In the statement that Princess finally released on Tues to the travel industry---they said that windows had been broken on Sabatini's Restaurant. This was a very public place....so they had to. This restaurant is mid-ship on Deck 7. If huge panes of glass can drop off and break there......what else happened all over the ship in staterooms, etc. ? I heard of lots of broken glasses (I was laying in bed listening to all of that stuff rattling like crazy wondering what was going to fly thru the air)..........someones bottle of cologne flew off the desk and landed on her bed across the room.
Am a very seasoned cruiser and have never seen anything like that.
I thought we were headed for the lifeboats !

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Angry Grand Princess Nov Cruise

My Mom and I were on the 12 deck while all this was going on. What I will tell you is the people that posted so far ARE TELLING THE TRUTH! My mom had got sea sick so we were in our cabin when the storm was getting worse. I kept watching out our balcony and new that we could not keep fighting the sea the way we were trying. When The explosion happen (that is my term not what we were told. Because we were never told ANYTHING) my mom came out of her bed and I bumped up against the dresser. We were in complete darkness and the ship went as still and dark and leaning severly to ourside as any nightmare you have ever had. The first man to come over the speaker sound extremely up set but ask us to stay in our rooms. well that was easy we could not see where we need to go anyway. the lights came on about 5 min. later and then ours went off until 5 the next morning. The next morning if you can believe this became a living nightmare. No one would tell anyone what happen. All I know for a fact is the sea became calm but our ship still move extremely slowly. We had to BUY BOTTLE WATER AT 4.50 A BOTTLE! Leaving the ship was done with such noncare for the people that had been on that boat that Princess Cruise lines should be ASHAMED. MY mom cannot pick up our bags she is 74 and hurt her knee during all of this I have had neck surgery and had told princess we must have help. THERE WAS NONE! People were throwing their bags on bus in any form and there was not room for other bags. This is while Our bus driver stood there and smoked a cigarette. Princess Owes everyone at the very least a personnel appoligy.
I do want to mention this we had already decide stay and fly out the next day. When Mom and I reached our Hotel Cicerone the Princess staff was well ready to do all to help us, They had double checked our flight for the next day offer to send ice up because my neck was swollen. These ladies need a hand for doing such a fine job. But the rest of Princess you should be ASHAMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Old November 26th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

I believe every one of you. I haven't sailed with them in over 6 years and while I never post (or try never) unobjective comments, I do not care for the way they handle things or prior service issues. This situation was awful and they may have lost a lot of long time, loyal cruisers. This is bad publicity, especially when you try and tell folks that a whole ship full of passengers "are lying" about the situation. I would call, call and call. Just keep posting!

Old November 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Are you nuts???

I was on the Grand Princess when the "adverse weather conditions" hit and it was a nightmare! I thought the ship was going to capsize and that we were going to die!! Princess did not give any information about what was going on except for 2 announcements which did not have any information at all! There were numerous injuries and broken bones from the second rouge wave and the ship was listing severly to the starboard side. We, along with every other passenger slated to fly out that morning, missed our flights out and had to stay another day in Rome. We were lucky though because we got out the next day. A lot of people had to wait 2 days to get home. The ship did not sail on time and was in Rome longer than planned. The news article was completely false and I cannot believe that this was even published. Somebody needs to check their facts before they print these terrible lies!! Princess should be ashamed with how they handled this because it was their fault in the first place! The captain was trying to out run one storm and get into port before the other storm came down so he was going way too fast for the weather conditions.

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default SOS Shame on Ship

We suspect that while most passengers were awaiting news from the captain that Princess was busy making flight arrangements for those who booked their flights through Princess. Those that did not were too late once they were offered "free" phone and internet service which lines were busy or didn't work. We were transported by bus to a train station where we had to catch a cab to Rome's city center to try to arrange for an airline flight as we missed our 12:30 flight back home. Couldn't get out until Monday. The one bright spot was that we got a luxury hotel room through hotels.com for $140 per night plus taxes at that was Bettoja Mediteranneo. It was better than the Flora that Princess arranged for us for our precruise stay costing $300 per night. What we will remember from this experience is that you really are on your own if out of your country and are delayed and must make alternate arrangements as Princess will be of no help. For those people who are less able to fen for themselves out of their element, the wolves are waiting.

Old November 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bad Weather in Med

Bad Weather

Old November 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Associate Editor

Default Grand Princess report

Thanks for posting your comments; I've been in contact here with Princess in the U.K. and they haven't yet been able to offer any more on this story.

We've reached out to the U.S. press office (closed until Monday for the Thanksgiving holiday) and will get to the bottom of the conflicting reports.

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly Ranson
U.K. Editor
Cruise Critic U.K.

Last edited by kelly@; November 28th, 2008 at 12:05 PM.

Old November 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly@cruisecriticUK View Post
Thanks for posting your comments; I've been in contact here with Princess in the U.K. and they haven't yet been able to offer any more on this story.

We've reached out to the U.S. press office (closed until Monday for the Thanksgiving holiday) and will get to the bottom of the conflicting reports.

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly Ranson
U.K. Editor
Cruise Critic U.K.
Kelly, the funny thing will be the videos when they start surfacing. Princess can continue to deny the reports, the weather is so easy to check on the internet and I am darned sure that many passengers have videos of broken windows, the list, etc........This is really bad for Princess........

Old December 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Rogue Wave and new Captain.......

From a tablemate of mine who is still on.......doing the additional 23 crossing to Ft Lauderdale.
Very interesting !

Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 11:15 AM
Subject: Good weather at last

Just a quick note to let you know we are in Dakar. Finally some warm weather. It rained in Casablanca but wasn't cold. The storm kept us from going into Cannes the day after you left. I was disapointed as I had a tour to Nice(never been there). We also got a new captain, don't know if is was planned or because of the way he handled the storm. Found out it was a BIG rogue wave that hit us. I thought they can see that coming on radar. Sorry about your delay in Rome, what a nightmare that must have been. Wish you were on this leg of the cruise.