Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Spender Nui Spender Nui is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Valley Forge, PA, USA
Posts: 2,966
Default Princess cruises eggplant parmigiana recipe

Recently returned from the Emerald Princess where my wife claims she had the best eggplant parmigiana she's ever had. Anyone have the recipe and willing to share?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Elizabeth K.'s Avatar
Elizabeth K. Elizabeth K. is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 624
Default

My brother and his girlfriend just got off the Ruby and brought the Princess cookbook home. I paged through it yesterday and saw an eggplant parmesan recipe. So if anyone has the cookbook, maybe they can scan it in for you. They live in another town so I don't have access anymore It is a beautiful book by the way
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
dcrow72's Avatar
dcrow72 dcrow72 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,052
Default

although their eggplant was good, it was too mushy for me. My family recipe is very easy:

slice the egglplant very very thin (most important step-the rest is fail proof).

Heat veggie oil about an inch or so deep in a heavy skillet.

Scramble up some eggs. Add a little water, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, garlic powder and a handful of parmesan cheese. beat well.

in a shallow dish, put some flour. Add salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder.

coat the eggplant with the flour well and then dip in the egg and right into the hot oil (if you drop a drip of egg into the oil first it should instantly sizzle up). Takes only a few minutes. flip when you see the edges brown. Drain on paper towels. Protect it from being eaten before it makes the bakiing dish (1/2 of mine will be eaten right off the paper towels).

Guarantee it's better than the mushy stuff. Layer it up with your favorite sauce, sprinkle of grated cheese (I like Romano), and top with some mozzarella. Bake til bubbly in 350, about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy
__________________
Rosie




NCL ?-1993
Carnival Imagination-12/02
Carnival Imagination-11/03
Carnival Valor-1/06
Crown Princess-10/07
Caribbean Princess-10/08
Caribbean Princess- 10/09
Carnival Dream - 11/09
Caribbean Princess-10/13
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM
babyher's Avatar
babyher babyher is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrow72 View Post
although their eggplant was good, it was too mushy for me. My family recipe is very easy:

slice the egglplant very very thin (most important step-the rest is fail proof).

Heat veggie oil about an inch or so deep in a heavy skillet.

Scramble up some eggs. Add a little water, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, garlic powder and a handful of parmesan cheese. beat well.

in a shallow dish, put some flour. Add salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder.

coat the eggplant with the flour well and then dip in the egg and right into the hot oil (if you drop a drip of egg into the oil first it should instantly sizzle up). Takes only a few minutes. flip when you see the edges brown. Drain on paper towels. Protect it from being eaten before it makes the bakiing dish (1/2 of mine will be eaten right off the paper towels).

Guarantee it's better than the mushy stuff. Layer it up with your favorite sauce, sprinkle of grated cheese (I like Romano), and top with some mozzarella. Bake til bubbly in 350, about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy

Ahhhhh ya can't go wrong with a recipe from a nice Italian girl from West Haven (I am in Stratford)

That is pretty much my Moms recipe(and now mine too,) and it is THE BEST.


I don't know how Princess serves it, but get a nice crusty loaf of Italian bread and make a nice sandwich

Most important MAKE YOUR OWN SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!


Using sauce from a jar in my family is like driving out to the cemetary and spitting on my grandmothers grave *LOL*

Last edited by babyher; November 29th, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
LENORA516's Avatar
LENORA516 LENORA516 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 1,265
Default

I just checked my "COURSES" cookbook the recipe for eggplant parmesan they are featuring in the cookbook is not what they are serving on the ship these days ! However, if you want it I'll scan it when I get to work on Monday .

Lenore

to dcrow72 and babyher, my sicilian grandmother's recipe calls for dredging the eggplant in breadcrumb after dipping it in the egg , its also hard to resist eating just out of the hot oil!
__________________
Lenore

________________________________________
Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

The right shoes can change your life.---Cinderella





Dawn Princess, Alaska 2003
Star Princess, Mexican Riviera 2004
Dawn Princess, Southern Caribbean 2005
Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2005
Star Princess, Western Caribbean 2007
Noordam, Alaska 2007
Caribbean Princess NY-Bermuda 2008
Caribbean Princess San Juan-NY 2009
Island Princess- Full transit Panama Canal-2010
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 2010
Caribbean Princess, New England 2011
Freedom of the Seas, Caribbean Christmas 2012
Royal Princess, Caribbean 2013
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM
babyher's Avatar
babyher babyher is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENORA516 View Post
I just checked my "COURSES" cookbook the recipe for eggplant parmesan they are featuring in the cookbook is not what they are serving on the ship these days ! However, if you want it I'll scan it when I get to work on Monday .

Lenore

to dcrow72 and babyher, my sicilian grandmother's recipe calls for dredging the eggplant in breadcrumb after dipping it in the egg , its also hard to resist eating just out of the hot oil!
My Moms specialty is taking a meatball (just make your regular meatball recipe) flatten it. Put it between two slices of eggplant , dip it in egg and then bread crumb and parmesan cheese mixed together, and then frying it.


OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Ethel5's Avatar
Ethel5 Ethel5 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North of Tampa, FL USA
Posts: 7,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spender Nui View Post
Recently returned from the Emerald Princess where my wife claims she had the best eggplant parmigiana she's ever had. Anyone have the recipe and willing to share?
I also love the eggplant parm and order it as an entree. It is different from ship to ship. Try this link to e-mail them for the recipe. I have used it in the past and usually get an answer in a few days.

http://www.princess.com/customer_car...%20Information
__________________
Donna

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home." - James Michener


Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:06 PM
seaster1's Avatar
seaster1 seaster1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Formally from Rhode Island now near Tampa Florida
Posts: 143
Default

Just had to say- a real Italian makes gravy not sauce.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
dcrow72's Avatar
dcrow72 dcrow72 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaster1 View Post
Just had to say- a real Italian makes gravy not sauce.

depends on if you're from the north or south! We're too Americanized now anyway! LOL
__________________
Rosie




NCL ?-1993
Carnival Imagination-12/02
Carnival Imagination-11/03
Carnival Valor-1/06
Crown Princess-10/07
Caribbean Princess-10/08
Caribbean Princess- 10/09
Carnival Dream - 11/09
Caribbean Princess-10/13
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Ethel5's Avatar
Ethel5 Ethel5 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North of Tampa, FL USA
Posts: 7,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaster1 View Post
Just had to say- a real Italian makes gravy not sauce.
It took a l o n g time for me to convince the guy I married that it was "gravy" not sauce. Now that I'm living in the south, it's become a real chore to find certain things like Escarole and fried whole belly clams.
__________________
Donna

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home." - James Michener


Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
NevadaHiRoller's Avatar
NevadaHiRoller NevadaHiRoller is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrow72 View Post
although their eggplant was good, it was too mushy for me. My family recipe is very easy:

slice the egglplant very very thin (most important step-the rest is fail proof).

Heat veggie oil about an inch or so deep in a heavy skillet.

Scramble up some eggs. Add a little water, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, garlic powder and a handful of parmesan cheese. beat well.

in a shallow dish, put some flour. Add salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder.

coat the eggplant with the flour well and then dip in the egg and right into the hot oil (if you drop a drip of egg into the oil first it should instantly sizzle up). Takes only a few minutes. flip when you see the edges brown. Drain on paper towels. Protect it from being eaten before it makes the bakiing dish (1/2 of mine will be eaten right off the paper towels).

Guarantee it's better than the mushy stuff. Layer it up with your favorite sauce, sprinkle of grated cheese (I like Romano), and top with some mozzarella. Bake til bubbly in 350, about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy
Sounds delicious! Will you make me some?
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:04 AM
seaster1's Avatar
seaster1 seaster1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Formally from Rhode Island now near Tampa Florida
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethel5 View Post
It took a l o n g time for me to convince the guy I married that it was "gravy" not sauce. Now that I'm living in the south, it's become a real chore to find certain things like Escarole and fried whole belly clams.

You can keep the clams I do make a good escarole soup. Just like Grandma herself..
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:33 AM
arlenez's Avatar
arlenez arlenez is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Villages, FL, USA
Posts: 2,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrow72 View Post
although their eggplant was good, it was too mushy for me. My family recipe is very easy:

slice the egglplant very very thin (most important step-the rest is fail proof).

Heat veggie oil about an inch or so deep in a heavy skillet.

Scramble up some eggs. Add a little water, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, garlic powder and a handful of parmesan cheese. beat well.

in a shallow dish, put some flour. Add salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder.

coat the eggplant with the flour well and then dip in the egg and right into the hot oil (if you drop a drip of egg into the oil first it should instantly sizzle up). Takes only a few minutes. flip when you see the edges brown. Drain on paper towels. Protect it from being eaten before it makes the bakiing dish (1/2 of mine will be eaten right off the paper towels).

Guarantee it's better than the mushy stuff. Layer it up with your favorite sauce, sprinkle of grated cheese (I like Romano), and top with some mozzarella. Bake til bubbly in 350, about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy
Hi Neighbor:

I'm nearby in Orange and your receipt sounds yummy. I will have to try using the flour instead of breadcrumbs which I usually use when I make it. A friend of mine who passed away lived in West Haven and she made the best eggplant that I have ever tasted.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Regards,
Arlene
__________________
Costa - 1982
Royal Caribbean - 1989
Royal Caribbean - 2001
Celebrity - Summit June 2004
HAL - Westerdam, April 2006
HAL - Zuiderdam, November 11, 2006
HAL - Maasdam, March 15, 2007
HAL - Oosterdam, August 4, 2007
Princess - Island, Panama Canal, February 6, 2008
Viking River Cruise to China - May 30, 2008
HAL - Eurodam - August 29, 2008
Caribbean Princess - January 25, 2009 - So Caribbean
HAL - Oosterdam - May 19, 2009 - Mediterranean
Carnival - Triumph - Sept 3 2009 Canada/New England
NCL - Sun - January 31, 2010 - South America
MSC - May 22, 2010 - Norwegian Fjords & Baltics
NCL - Jewel - November 14, 2010 - Bahamas & Florida
NCL - Jade - February 13, 2011 - E. Mediterranean, Morocco & Canary Islands
Carnival Glory - June 9, 2011 - Canada & New England
HAL - Veendam - September 4, 2011 - Bermuda
Viking River Cruise on Prestige - Budapest to Amsterdam - August 26, 2012
Celebrity Reflections - January 12-19, 2013
Ruby Princess - January 9, 2014
Royal Princess - March 2, 2014
Viking River Cruise on Fontane - Prague to Berlin - April 26, 2014
Caribbean Princess - September 20, 2014 - Western Caribbean
Royal Princess - May 21, 2015 - British Isles Cruise





Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM
dcrow72's Avatar
dcrow72 dcrow72 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenez View Post
Hi Neighbor:

I'm nearby in Orange and your receipt sounds yummy. I will have to try using the flour instead of breadcrumbs which I usually use when I make it. A friend of mine who passed away lived in West Haven and she made the best eggplant that I have ever tasted.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Regards,
Arlene

I learned from my uncle who owned an Italian rest/pizza in the New Haven area since the late 1950's. It was our grandmother's recipe. We used to fry eggplant continuously for 2-3 weeks every August when the farm in Branford picked them; bushel after bushel. They freeze well and we'd make enough for the whole year. Needless to say, I rarely make them now, although I still love to eat it! Now I get in the car, go to Wooster Street in New Haven and order it at my cousin's restaurant, where I know it will always be like Grandma's. I never order it out since many places use the frozen "cutlet" variety (like Princess does), and the breadcrumbs totally change the flavor. Enjoy.
__________________
Rosie




NCL ?-1993
Carnival Imagination-12/02
Carnival Imagination-11/03
Carnival Valor-1/06
Crown Princess-10/07
Caribbean Princess-10/08
Caribbean Princess- 10/09
Carnival Dream - 11/09
Caribbean Princess-10/13
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
babyher's Avatar
babyher babyher is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrow72 View Post
I learned from my uncle who owned an Italian rest/pizza in the New Haven area since the late 1950's. It was our grandmother's recipe. We used to fry eggplant continuously for 2-3 weeks every August when the farm in Branford picked them; bushel after bushel. They freeze well and we'd make enough for the whole year. Needless to say, I rarely make them now, although I still love to eat it! Now I get in the car, go to Wooster Street in New Haven and order it at my cousin's restaurant, where I know it will always be like Grandma's. I never order it out since many places use the frozen "cutlet" variety (like Princess does), and the breadcrumbs totally change the flavor. Enjoy.



AHHHHHHHHHH Wooster Street

Now you are making me hungry *LOL*
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:35 PM
arlenez's Avatar
arlenez arlenez is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Villages, FL, USA
Posts: 2,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyher View Post
AHHHHHHHHHH Wooster Street

Now you are making me hungry *LOL*
Me too. We should all plan to meet someday at Rosie's cousin's restaurant for that yummy eggplant.

Regards,
Arlene
__________________
Costa - 1982
Royal Caribbean - 1989
Royal Caribbean - 2001
Celebrity - Summit June 2004
HAL - Westerdam, April 2006
HAL - Zuiderdam, November 11, 2006
HAL - Maasdam, March 15, 2007
HAL - Oosterdam, August 4, 2007
Princess - Island, Panama Canal, February 6, 2008
Viking River Cruise to China - May 30, 2008
HAL - Eurodam - August 29, 2008
Caribbean Princess - January 25, 2009 - So Caribbean
HAL - Oosterdam - May 19, 2009 - Mediterranean
Carnival - Triumph - Sept 3 2009 Canada/New England
NCL - Sun - January 31, 2010 - South America
MSC - May 22, 2010 - Norwegian Fjords & Baltics
NCL - Jewel - November 14, 2010 - Bahamas & Florida
NCL - Jade - February 13, 2011 - E. Mediterranean, Morocco & Canary Islands
Carnival Glory - June 9, 2011 - Canada & New England
HAL - Veendam - September 4, 2011 - Bermuda
Viking River Cruise on Prestige - Budapest to Amsterdam - August 26, 2012
Celebrity Reflections - January 12-19, 2013
Ruby Princess - January 9, 2014
Royal Princess - March 2, 2014
Viking River Cruise on Fontane - Prague to Berlin - April 26, 2014
Caribbean Princess - September 20, 2014 - Western Caribbean
Royal Princess - May 21, 2015 - British Isles Cruise





Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:04 PM
dcrow72's Avatar
dcrow72 dcrow72 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,052
Default

anytime! I good go for some right now instead of the turkey soup cooking! By the way, he sailed with us on our first Princess cruise last year and didn't get beyond the first taste of the eggplant! Visit Abate's if you want good eggplant. Pres Clinton used to go everytime he was in New Haven for something.
__________________
Rosie




NCL ?-1993
Carnival Imagination-12/02
Carnival Imagination-11/03
Carnival Valor-1/06
Crown Princess-10/07
Caribbean Princess-10/08
Caribbean Princess- 10/09
Carnival Dream - 11/09
Caribbean Princess-10/13
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
babyher's Avatar
babyher babyher is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenez View Post
Me too. We should all plan to meet someday at Rosie's cousin's restaurant for that yummy eggplant.

Regards,
Arlene

Sounds like a plan
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
babyher's Avatar
babyher babyher is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrow72 View Post
anytime! I good go for some right now instead of the turkey soup cooking! By the way, he sailed with us on our first Princess cruise last year and didn't get beyond the first taste of the eggplant! Visit Abate's if you want good eggplant. Pres Clinton used to go everytime he was in New Haven for something.


I have heard of Abate's , but have never been.

Hmmmm will definately have to make a point of going
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
arlenez's Avatar
arlenez arlenez is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Villages, FL, USA
Posts: 2,194
Smile

I've heard of Abate's, but have never been there. We've been to Pepe's a few times, but not in many years.

I think after the holidays we should all plan a field trip to Abate's and share our love of cruising and some good eggplant.

Best regards,
Arlene
__________________
Costa - 1982
Royal Caribbean - 1989
Royal Caribbean - 2001
Celebrity - Summit June 2004
HAL - Westerdam, April 2006
HAL - Zuiderdam, November 11, 2006
HAL - Maasdam, March 15, 2007
HAL - Oosterdam, August 4, 2007
Princess - Island, Panama Canal, February 6, 2008
Viking River Cruise to China - May 30, 2008
HAL - Eurodam - August 29, 2008
Caribbean Princess - January 25, 2009 - So Caribbean
HAL - Oosterdam - May 19, 2009 - Mediterranean
Carnival - Triumph - Sept 3 2009 Canada/New England
NCL - Sun - January 31, 2010 - South America
MSC - May 22, 2010 - Norwegian Fjords & Baltics
NCL - Jewel - November 14, 2010 - Bahamas & Florida
NCL - Jade - February 13, 2011 - E. Mediterranean, Morocco & Canary Islands
Carnival Glory - June 9, 2011 - Canada & New England
HAL - Veendam - September 4, 2011 - Bermuda
Viking River Cruise on Prestige - Budapest to Amsterdam - August 26, 2012
Celebrity Reflections - January 12-19, 2013
Ruby Princess - January 9, 2014
Royal Princess - March 2, 2014
Viking River Cruise on Fontane - Prague to Berlin - April 26, 2014
Caribbean Princess - September 20, 2014 - Western Caribbean
Royal Princess - May 21, 2015 - British Isles Cruise





Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.