Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: Would you let your kids sail in their own cabin?
Yes 47 28.66%
No 37 22.56%
That depends (please post why -- age, temperament, etc.) 80 48.78%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Product Development

Default Would you let your kids sail in their own cabin?

Costa Cruises recently announced a family promotion with attractive children’s pricing. But, in a change from the norm, children don't need to be third or fourth passengers in a single stateroom in order to qualify for these lower rates. Instead, Costa will be allowing children younger than 17 to stay in cabins by themselves, whereas most cruise lines' rules state one person in a cabin must be at least 18 or 21 years of age. Click here for the full story.

Would you let your kids sail in their own cabin? Vote in our poll and be sure to share your opinion below!

Last edited by melissa@cruisecritic; December 12th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No I would not but I know many would and HAVE, I was once unfortunate enough to be in a cabin next to four children, no adult they were actually on another floor! the oldest child appeared to be between 12 and 14 and it was HORRIBLE.

THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE IS NOT HATE, BUT INDIFFERENCE

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Product Development

It'll be interesting to see how many passengers have broken other lines' rules as far as kids staying in a cabin unsupervised...thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwenmark View Post
No I would not but I know many would and HAVE, I was once unfortunate enough to be in a cabin next to four children, no adult they were actually on another floor! the oldest child appeared to be between 12 and 14 and it was HORRIBLE.

Last edited by melissa@cruisecritic; December 12th, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
30,000+ Club

On RCCL, you can book your own children into a stateroom directly across the hall or next door to your own room. They've had this policy for a while.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos)

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Product Development

Thanks for sharing those details! We've added that further example to our story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
On RCCL, you can book your own children into a stateroom directly across the hall or next door to your own room. They've had this policy for a while.

Last edited by melissa@cruisecritic; December 12th, 2008 at 03:25 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My kids stayed in their own cabin by our third cruise. The were closely monitored and near us - like across the hall.... most of the time. Not all kids are noisy and obnoxious. Mine knew the rules of behavior and followed them. Believe me, my DS would have told on my DD if she didn't and she knew she was responsible for her brother. She was 12 and he was 8 the first time. Even home they were not wild kids. I'm sure I'll get comments back that "ya sure, when you weren't around they really weren't" but don't bother. I know my kids and don't really need them judged by what other people's kids do. Besides, now that they have kids of their own, they'd have 'fessed up and told me. I got compliments then and I still get compliments about what nice people they are.
Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84

Last edited by notentirelynormal; December 12th, 2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: .

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM
50,000+ Club

None of the cruiselines really care who sleeps where--that "must have an adult" thing is for booking purposes only. They want to make sure adults are ON the cruise--not just booking for underaged cruisers who will be on their own. I mean, I'm sure there are families with, say, 8 children and they will need 3 or 4 rooms....no way will you be able to book an adult in each room...and that's ok!

Old December 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Default ...

Its impossible to say that kids at age XX are mature enough or not to sail in their own cabin
12/06 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
05/07 Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Maiden Voyage
10/07 Vision Of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
04/08 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
09/08 Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - now C&A Platinum
01/09 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 1
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 2
12/09 Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
04/10 Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
10/10 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
03/11 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
05/11 Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico

So far 101 wonderful days spent at sea!!

Old December 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
20,000+ Club

If they are older teens and are in a cabin right across the hall, then I see no problem. But I've seen many parents who want to have their kids who are under the age of 10, alone in cabins. That's a very bad idea. I guess parents don't realize that anyone with a master key can get in the cabin, and that could spell disaster.

Old December 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have booked seperate cabins for our kids for five of our past cruise. They are always across the hall and I have never had a problem. We on the other hand tend to stay together and travel as a family and we don't let our kids roam free once on board. The only time that they are not with us is when we have dinner at Portifino's or Chop's which we do once per cruise to have some adult time. In fact Carnival has always booked them alone without a parent in the cabin, same with Royal Caribbean.
10-06 Victory EASTERN CARIBBEAN
9-07 Conquest WESTERN CARIBBEAN
2-08 Imagination EASTERN CARIBBEAN
9-08 Mariner of the Seas SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
9-09 Conquest WESTERN CARIBBEAN
10-1 Destiny EASTERN CARIBBEAN
10-5 Destiny KEY WEST & COZUMEL
10-10 Destiny GRND CAYMAN/OCHO RIO
9-11 Valor WESTERN CARIBBEAN
9-12 Victory SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN

9-14 BREEZE EASTERN CARIBBEAN

Last edited by cutrat; December 12th, 2008 at 05:30 PM.

Old December 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
20,000+ Club

We've booked our kids in their own cabin for several years now. Actually, we book one parent and one child in each cabin and have new keys made once we board. The ship has no problem with this scenario, but the computers at the cruiseline won't allow the booking any other way.

Our family is like the above (cutrat) in that we pretty much stay together all week, our kids (now late teens) have never enjoyed the organized kids clubs very much. To date, other than them wanting to sleep late, we haven't had any issues with them in their own cabin. We do get a spare key for their cabin, so we can enter whenever we want. We would also not consider having them anywhere other than immediately across or next to us on the ship.

Old December 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Our children were 19 and 16 when they took their first (Carnival) cruise with us earlier this year. They are well behaved, so it wasn't a problem. However, I wouldn't even consider leaving them in their own cabin if they were under, say, 14 years of age. It's not fair to them or to other passengers.
April 2007 Thomson Calypso Ancient Empires
October 2007 Mariner OTS Eastern Caribbean
April 2008 Ventura Maiden Welcome Party Cruise
July 2008 Carnival Glory Western Caribbean
November 2008 Explorer OTS Southern Caribbean
April 2009 Brilliance OTS Morocco & Canaries
November 2009 Serenade OTS Panama Canal (25th wedding anniversary cruise)
May 2010 Splendour OTS Greek Isles
October 2010 Monarch OTS Bahamas
October 2010 Oasis OTS Western Caribbean
March 2011 Thomson Dream Caribbean
May 2011 Voyager OTS Venice & The Adriatic
November 2011 Celebrity Solstice Greek Islands
November 2012 Celebrity Equinox Greek Islands
March 2013 Freedom OTS Eastern Caribbean

GRANDAD'S BAND

Last edited by Towncar T; December 13th, 2008 at 09:44 AM.

Old December 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

it would depend oon their ages...and frankly if they could handle it....but I wouldn't want them on another part of the ship...they would need to be next door or across the hall.

Old December 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM
10,000+ Club

For me it depends not only on the age of the kids, but also the current maturity level being demonstrated by said kids.

Been There Done That: Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984

Old December 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

On our Princess cruise my 16 y/o and his 18 y/o friend were in an inside cabin down the hall from us. It worked out fine. Having the extra bathroom is worth every penny.

On our next cruise, my now 18 y/o son will be sharing an inside with his 25 y/o brother. I'm sure they'll just sleep there as we have gotten an aft suite with large balcony for us

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - Nov 2007
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - Oct 2008
Zuiderdam - Inside Passage - July 2012

Old December 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheila View Post
it would depend oon their ages...and frankly if they could handle it....but I wouldn't want them on another part of the ship...they would need to be next door or across the hall.
Ditto. Couldn't put it better myself.
Oasis of the Seas - B2B - Barcelona - Barcelona - Rotterdam - Sept 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Not called a blog but it is one :
Day visit to Celebrity Eclipse July 5th 2014 here
Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Adventure of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - 4th November 2013 Bit of a blog here
M/S Chardonnay : Cote d'Azur - Paris : 1st August 2013 Bit of a blog here
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 17th March 2013 Bit of a (surprise) blog here
Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012 Bit of a blog :here
Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog :here Link to pics : here and here
Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010
Bit of a blog : here
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here
Link to pics : here
Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here

Where I'm Going :
Rhapsody of the Seas - 3rd May 2015 : Singapore - Dubai
Celebrity Solstice - 14th February 2016 : B2B : Auckland - Perth (Fremantle) - Sydney

Old December 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes if the rooms adjoined. I have a 15 year old and 9 year old who are deathly afraid of the rath of dad

Old December 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

My son is an adult now but I would have allowed him and a friend (our sone is an only child and we always brought a friend) to have a cabin either beside us or across from us. He was pretty good at following rules. We also kept a very close eye on him always.

Old December 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

If the kids are only in their cabins for showering, dressing, and sleeping, I see no problem with them being in a separate cabin near the parents if they normally do these things on their own when not vacationing. By age ten or so this should not be a problem.
7/06 Adventure of the Seas
12/08 Westerdam
6/10 Glory
6/12 Ecstasy

Old December 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Would you leave your kids in their own room in a hotel at home? Sometimes passengers leave their common sense at home because they feel nothing could happen bad on a cruise..How about looking into getting adjoing rooms..You and your kids might be fine with separate rooms but remember you are sailing in tight quarters with 1000+ strangers..