Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > P&O Cruises ( Australia )
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
cc_double cc_double is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gold Coast Queensland Australia
Posts: 141
Default Cabin Power Outlets Diamond Princess

Can anyone help me with the power outlet situation in the cabins on the Diamond Princess, are there 110/220 points? Thanks in advance.
__________________
Past Cruises
RCL Radiance of the Seas Dec 2012
MSC Fantasia Dec 2010
P &O Pacific Dawn May 2010
Diamond Princess January 2010
Dawn Princess June 2009
Carnival Spirit May 2009
P & O Pacific Sun June 2008
Carnival Pride Jan 2008
RCL Legends of the Seas Dec 2001
Carnival Sensation 1999 x multiple cruises
Carnival Jubilee 1998 x multiple cruises
Costa Victoria 1997 1998 x multiple cruises
Costa Romantica 1995 1996 97 x multiple cruises
Costa Allegra 1995 1996 1997 x multiple cruises
Costa Marina 1995 1996 1997 x multiple cruises
Eugenio Costa March 1995 x multiple cruises
Airtours Carousel 1995x multiple cruises
Airtours Seawing 1995 x multiple cruises
Cunard Crown Jewel 1994 x multiple cruises
Cunard Crown Monarch x multiple cruises
Fairstar
MS Taras Shevchenko

Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:40 AM
arxcards arxcards is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 5,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_double View Post
Can anyone help me with the power outlet situation in the cabins on the Diamond Princess, are there 110/220 points? Thanks in advance.
Diamond Princess current is nominally 110V 60Hz
These are US outlets, requiring an adaptor to plug in local plugs. I bought one at Big W recently for $9.50


Most modern appliances will work in a range from 100-240V, 50-60Hz (check on the appliance or power lead). The power regulator/transformer is now built into the appliance or lead of most appliances, so they do not need to make different spec products for different countries - just supply a different lead.

Any appliance that is labelled as 220-240V 50Hz will require a more expensive option of a step transformer in order to work on the ship.

My laptop, phone charger, battery chargers will all work with just an adaptor.
__________________
Cheers
Geoff

Last edited by arxcards; December 31st, 2008 at 02:42 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:44 AM
cc_double cc_double is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gold Coast Queensland Australia
Posts: 141
Default

Thanks heaps arxcards, having never cruised on Princess before wasn't sure what to expect and as we are at the packing stage thought Id better check, we have adapters that work on Costa and Carnival so will pack them the same now for Princess. Great help!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by arxcards View Post
These are US outlets, requiring an adaptor to plug in local plugs. I bought one at Big W recently for $9.50


Most modern appliances will work in a range from 100-240V, 50-60Hz (check on the appliance or power lead). The power regulator/transformer is now built into the appliance or lead of most appliances, so they do not need to make different spec products for different countries - just supply a different lead.

Any appliance that is labelled as 220-240V 50Hz will require a more expensive option of a step transformer in order to work on the ship.

My laptop, phone charger, battery chargers will all work with just an adaptor.
__________________
Past Cruises
RCL Radiance of the Seas Dec 2012
MSC Fantasia Dec 2010
P &O Pacific Dawn May 2010
Diamond Princess January 2010
Dawn Princess June 2009
Carnival Spirit May 2009
P & O Pacific Sun June 2008
Carnival Pride Jan 2008
RCL Legends of the Seas Dec 2001
Carnival Sensation 1999 x multiple cruises
Carnival Jubilee 1998 x multiple cruises
Costa Victoria 1997 1998 x multiple cruises
Costa Romantica 1995 1996 97 x multiple cruises
Costa Allegra 1995 1996 1997 x multiple cruises
Costa Marina 1995 1996 1997 x multiple cruises
Eugenio Costa March 1995 x multiple cruises
Airtours Carousel 1995x multiple cruises
Airtours Seawing 1995 x multiple cruises
Cunard Crown Jewel 1994 x multiple cruises
Cunard Crown Monarch x multiple cruises
Fairstar
MS Taras Shevchenko

Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:27 AM
ann66 ann66 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 127
Default

Hi

I just bought a american adapter from Tandy. It only has 2 prongs in front and 2 straight prongs to go into wall. Will this work on the Diamond Princess?? We sail on Monday.

Colleen
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:48 AM
rkmw rkmw is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: cootamundra nsw
Posts: 5,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann66 View Post
Hi

I just bought a american adapter from Tandy. It only has 2 prongs in front and 2 straight prongs to go into wall. Will this work on the Diamond Princess?? We sail on Monday.

Colleen
hi colleen, i bought one like your one from the NRMA for the Rhapsody and it charged the mobile but not the camera so if you can take some spare batteries just in case you need them

rkmw
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:12 AM
victravellers victravellers is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 464
Default

Hi,
I have sailed on the Sapphire Princess, sister ship to the Diamond so the set up will be the same.
There is a 240 volt outlet behind the bed which the lamps are plugged into. Its a bit of a pain to get to, but comes in real handy if you do not have dual voltage appliances. This requires a different adapter which you can get from the pursers office for.. I think ..a $20 deposit which is refunded when you return it.
We found our mobile phones did not charge very well using the 110v even though they were dual voltage. They only seemed to charge for a day or two then go flat. Using the 240v behind the bed they held their regular charge (about 1 week)


Linda
__________________
Sitmar Fairstar.......South Pacific 1985
Sapphire Princess...Sydney - LA 2007
Sapphire Princess...Sydney - LA 2008
Sun Princess..........Fremantle - Cape Town 2009
Pacific Jewel...........South Pacific 2010
Sapphire Princess...SanFrancisco - Sydney 2010
Pacific Dawn..........South Pacific 2011
Diamond Princess...Sydney - Beijing 2012
Diamond Princess...Beijing - Singapore 2012
Diamond Princess... Singapore - Singapore 2013
Diamond Princess... Singapore - Singapore 2013

Emerald Princess...Southampton - Southampton 2014
Emerald Princess...Southampton - Houston 2014
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM
fairstars's Avatar
fairstars fairstars is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by victravellers View Post
Hi,
I have sailed on the Sapphire Princess, sister ship to the Diamond so the set up will be the same.
There is a 240 volt outlet behind the bed which the lamps are plugged into. Its a bit of a pain to get to, but comes in real handy if you do not have dual voltage appliances. This requires a different adapter which you can get from the pursers office for.. I think ..a $20 deposit which is refunded when you return it.
We found our mobile phones did not charge very well using the 110v even though they were dual voltage. They only seemed to charge for a day or two then go flat. Using the 240v behind the bed they held their regular charge (about 1 week)


Linda
Hi All,

Linda is correct about the outlet behind the bed, it is a British 240V plug instead of the rest of the cabin which are the American 2 pin 110V plugs.

Anothe tip is to take a normal cheap Australian power board and this will allow you to plug in various things from the one American adaptor.

Happy Cruising
Chris
__________________

Diamond Princess - Singapore to Sydney
Sapphire Princess - Seattle to Sydney
Diamond Princess - Vancouver to Bangkok, B2B2B (via Alaska & Beijing)
Diamond Princess - Bangkok to Oz
Sapphire Princess - Singapore to Oz
Fair Princess - Sth. Pacific Islands
Southern Cross - Asia to Oz (Russian ship - Cruise from HELL!)
Fairstar x 2 cruises - Hong Kong/Singapore to Oz
Fairstar x 7 cruises - Sth. Pacific Islands
'Old' Oriana - Sth. Pacific Islands (M only)
S.S. Aranda - UK to Oz (M only)
Empress of Canada - Canada to UK (M only)
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:49 AM
4xcruise 4xcruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxcards View Post
Diamond Princess current is nominally 110V 60Hz
These are US outlets, requiring an adaptor to plug in local plugs. I bought one at Big W recently for $9.50


Most modern appliances will work in a range from 100-240V, 50-60Hz (check on the appliance or power lead). The power regulator/transformer is now built into the appliance or lead of most appliances, so they do not need to make different spec products for different countries - just supply a different lead.

Any appliance that is labelled as 220-240V 50Hz will require a more expensive option of a step transformer in order to work on the ship.

My laptop, phone charger, battery chargers will all work with just an adaptor.

Hi All,

Does this applies to Sun Princess as well.
Cheers

4xcruise
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Ela 2 Ela 2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xcruise View Post
Hi All,

Does this applies to Sun Princess as well.
Cheers

4xcruise
No. On the Sun Princess the power point near the TV is an Australian fitting and 240 volts. I think the point in the bathroom was an American fitting. I believe that the Dawn Princess would be the same.

Take a power board, or at least a double adaptor.

Evon.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM
4xcruise 4xcruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela 2 View Post
No. On the Sun Princess the power point near the TV is an Australian fitting and 240 volts. I think the point in the bathroom was an American fitting. I believe that the Dawn Princess would be the same.

Take a power board, or at least a double adaptor.

Evon.

Thanks Evon of your helpful info.

4xcruise
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.