Liquor on Princess

laketahoe1

On the Sapphire last week, co-worker carried on 12 bottles of wine with no problem. Have read that if you take hard liquor to pack it in your luggage not your carry on. Put it in thse 2 gallon zip lock bags so if it leaks it won't get on your clothes.

buying liquor onboard is much more expensive than at home. you cannot by it onboard and take it to your cabin. you have to order from room service ($30). if you buy it on board they deliver it the last night so it's take home liquor not drinking liquor. been there,seen it, done it ad

Sorry adniva you are incorrect. You can order it from room service, pre-order it, or buy a bottle at the lobby bar for less than the cost in the states. Example 1 liter bottle of Stoli vodka is $20. You can't touch it for that in the states. Wine does seem to be overpriced but liqour is not. Granted they don't have a huge selection but they have most of the basics.

Scott

On our recent cruise, we brought several bottles of wine in our carry-on, which is permitted. It went thru x-ray, but no one took a look inside the carryon-- it could have just as easily been hard liquor as wine (altho' granted, the bottles are somewhat different).

Coming back from a port, we had a bottle of rum in a paper bag. The guy behind the x-ray machine handed it right to us after it went thru the machine. I was really surprised; I had expected them to hold it till the last night. I even said "well, if it's ok with you, it's ok with me!" at which the guy chuckled.

The only consistent thing about Princess's policy re bringing liquor onboard is inconsistency! "Policy" states ok for wine and champagne for a special occasion but not hard stuff. Even the charging of a corkage fee in the dining room seems to be catch as catch can. At some ports when you purchase liquor they insist on delivering it to the ship in which case you can bet you won't see it until the last day. Since DH loves what I call 'dirty sock' beer he usually buys a six pack of local been on the islands and those we have never had a problem with bringing back onboard. We used to try 'smuggling' liquor onboard, everything from checked luggage to transferring it to plastic bottles in our carry on. Finally we got a bit smarter and have just resorted in ording it from Princess for in-room consumption. For us it is cheaper than buying in here in MD, makes suitcases lighter, and is just one less thing to worry about. We've done both the 'send a gift' order and just picking up the room phone to order it. Love the bowls of peanuts and pretzels that come along with the bottle on a fancy silver tray.

I truly belive it is like a crap shoot. If you want to chance it (bringing it onboard yourself) do so, but don't complain if they hold it until the last day. It is after all their stated "policy".

Sorry adniva you are incorrect. You can order it from room service, pre-order it, or buy a bottle at the lobby bar for less than the cost in the states. Example 1 liter bottle of Stoli vodka is $20. You can't touch it for that in the states. Wine does seem to be overpriced but liqour is not. Granted they don't have a huge selection but they have most of the basics.

Scott

Stoli 1.75 liter is $22.99 at my liquor store here in California...

Archived