Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Royal Caribbean Adds Surcharge for Late-Night Room Service

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Royal Caribbean Adds Surcharge for Late-Night Room Service

Read the entire news article...

Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I, for one, think a surcharge is entirely reasonable.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
20,000+ Club

How many people are ordering room service between midnight and five in the morning?

Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuizer2 View Post
How many people are ordering room service between midnight and five in the morning?
not us!

Carnival Freedom Jan 2012
Carnival Destiny Halloween Cruise 2011
RCI Radiance of the Seas 2010 Western Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2008 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 2006 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas 1999 Alaska
Carnival Fantasy 1992 Bahamas
Scotia Prince 1992 Nova Scotia

Old January 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator

That's actually my favorite time of the night to order the room service, the early a.m. hours. I'd still probably pay though, just order twice as much to make the service charge worth my while. Could store the chip 'n' salsa in the mini-bar.

Click to Play!

Old January 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We love RCCL room service because we can get HOT food. I like that I can see the menu on our cabin tv.

I always pack my collapsable table for my RCCL cruises because we enjoy dinner on our balcony several times on our cruises. Best time is when we have a late port departure. Last time we ordered so many different things that it looked like a whole family had eaten with us.

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking We do!

Wow... DH works nights, and his tummy says the middle of the night is lunchtime. He also usually orders a little something for me to have in the morning when I wake up.

Guess we'll have to either get it together earlier, or walk up to the Windjammer. We always tip the room service folks well, but a charge - no way.

RCCL is really working hard to lose my business these days, and it's a pity, because I have enjoyed RCCL so much in the past.

Wendy

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default How much more is too much?

I have been on almost 40 cruises - I have been cruising for over 20 years. We have seen more and more cutbacks and more cost is being passed onto the passengers. Late night room service surcharge? We used to have a midnight buffet every single night - not this business of finger foods on trays on Celebrity, or the 24 hour food available on Princess. There was also never a signature required with a "gratuity" line below it when something was delivered to your cabin. IT WAS FREE.

You younger cruisers, who missed all this do not seem to mind tipping this one and that one - but you are not getting the point. This is/was an all inclusive vacation, other than tours, beverages - pop, alcohol - and by the way, you used to get juice at lunch and dinner free - and that is gone.

Wake up people. They are making millions - enough to keep building bigger and bigger ships all the while crying poor mouth. Fuel surcharges - do you know how much fuel costs in Colombia - NEXT TO NOTHING, and yet, we were expected to pay for that too. Bottom line, is that they did not want to eat into their profit margin. We are all on fixed incomes, but these cruise lines keep expecting more and more.

Hungry at 3:00 am. - get up and get dressed and get your own food - that way, this new way of getting more $$$ will soon be stopped.

Last edited by Palladium; January 11th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.