Royal Caribbean Adds Surcharge for Late-Night Room Service

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles
Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:03 PM.
Florida
1,116 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Cuizer2
How many people are ordering room service between midnight and five in the morning?
not us!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]

Carnival Freedom Jan 2012
Carnival Destiny Halloween Cruise 2011
RCI Radiance of the Seas 2010 Western Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2008 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 2006 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas 1999 Alaska
Carnival Fantasy 1992 Bahamas
Scotia Prince 1992 Nova Scotia

Boston, MA
1,075 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
That's actually my favorite time of the night to order the room service, the early a.m. hours. I'd still probably pay though, just order twice as much to make the service charge worth my while. Could store the chip 'n' salsa in the mini-bar.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dan Askin
Senior Editor

Click to Play!

Manomet, MA
3,550 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
We love RCCL room service because we can get HOT food. I like that I can see the menu on our cabin tv.

I always pack my collapsable table for my RCCL cruises because we enjoy dinner on our balcony several times on our cruises. Best time is when we have a late port departure. Last time we ordered so many different things that it looked like a whole family had eaten with us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary
San Mateo, FL, USA
2,814 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Wow... DH works nights, and his tummy says the middle of the night is lunchtime. He also usually orders a little something for me to have in the morning when I wake up.

Guess we'll have to either get it together earlier, or walk up to the Windjammer. We always tip the room service folks well, but a charge - no way.

RCCL is really working hard to lose my business these days, and it's a pity, because I have enjoyed RCCL so much in the past.

Wendy
25 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
I have been on almost 40 cruises - I have been cruising for over 20 years. We have seen more and more cutbacks and more cost is being passed onto the passengers. Late night room service surcharge? We used to have a midnight buffet every single night - not this business of finger foods on trays on Celebrity, or the 24 hour food available on Princess. There was also never a signature required with a "gratuity" line below it when something was delivered to your cabin. IT WAS FREE.

You younger cruisers, who missed all this do not seem to mind tipping this one and that one - but you are not getting the point. This is/was an all inclusive vacation, other than tours, beverages - pop, alcohol - and by the way, you used to get juice at lunch and dinner free - and that is gone.

Wake up people. They are making millions - enough to keep building bigger and bigger ships all the while crying poor mouth. Fuel surcharges - do you know how much fuel costs in Colombia - NEXT TO NOTHING, and yet, we were expected to pay for that too. Bottom line, is that they did not want to eat into their profit margin. We are all on fixed incomes, but these cruise lines keep expecting more and more.

Hungry at 3:00 am. - get up and get dressed and get your own food - that way, this new way of getting more $$$ will soon be stopped.