Resturant question

gibsones175

We have a review of Restaurant St. Bonnet of Progreso here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-rotm-08-06.htm

It's from a couple of years ago, but the menu and prices are very much the same.

Los Flamingos, also in progreso, is very popular with locals : http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-rotm-01-08.htm

It's a bit further down the malecon from the dock.

We have a review of Restaurant St. Bonnet of Progreso here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-rotm-08-06.htm

It's from a couple of years ago, but the menu and prices are very much the same.

Los Flamingos, also in progreso, is very popular with locals : http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-rotm-01-08.htm

It's a bit further down the malecon from the dock.

I've also seen good reviews on Buddy's which is also on the Malecon(Main St.). If you want a really neat treat, go thru the mercado (market) just off of the Malecon.

There are little cubbyholes with specialty shops serving lots of different goodies. I saw the locals eating there and tried a few different things. I have no idea what I had, but it was great.

Le Saint Bonnet! Prices are reasonable. Service is excellent as well as the food. Just don't "expect" the same flavor as America-Mexican food!

No one in our groups has ever gotten sick eating here, BTW.

Thanks for adding that. I was wondering if it was safe. I would never have the guts to eat at a vender or cubbie for fear of losing my guts.LOL

Some pictures from Progreso, Dec 2007. Includes double-decker bus tour, Le Saint Bonnet, Corona Beach, street vendor (need to remember those):

Thanks for sharing the pics. They are really helpful for getting a feel for the area. I love the food pics, too. You have a great camera.

Thanks for sharing the pics. They are really helpful for getting a feel for the area. I love the food pics, too. You have a great camera.

Ditto from me! Thanks so much for sharing. Your amazing pictures really do give you a feel/flavor for the beach area. I passed them along to my family.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To start our day we did the double decker tour and had a great time. Well worth the $2.00. The we headed down to the malecon and met a wonderful guy from Denham Springs, LA that now lives in Progreso. He recommended the restuarant called El Viejo Y La Mar which means The Old Man and the Sea. It is located on malecon 78. His name is Dennis by the way and if you go tell him Kim sent ya. We were served ice cold beer and chips and salsa on the beach under the palapas. The chicken enchilada was the best I have ever had and the quantity was great. You just can't go wring there. If you need a bathroom...they have them very clean there. My friends and I enjoyed a great meal on the beach and never had to wait long for the food. The we did the massage on the beach which was pure heaven. I highly recommend Progreso! I personnaly want to go back just to that stop. It was a very relaxing day!!!!

To start our day we did the double decker tour and had a great time. Well worth the $2.00. The we headed down to the malecon and met a wonderful guy from Denham Springs, LA that now lives in Progreso. He recommended the restuarant called El Viejo Y La Mar which means The Old Man and the Sea. It is located on malecon 78. His name is Dennis by the way and if you go tell him Kim sent ya. We were served ice cold beer and chips and salsa on the beach under the palapas. The chicken enchilada was the best I have ever had and the quantity was great. You just can't go wring there. If you need a bathroom...they have them very clean there. My friends and I enjoyed a great meal on the beach and never had to wait long for the food. The we did the massage on the beach which was pure heaven. I highly recommend Progreso! I personnaly want to go back just to that stop. It was a very relaxing day!!!!

HOw much was the food at this place?

Thanks for this tip!! I will keep this in mind!!

I can recommend Le Saint Bonnet.

We have also been to Buddy's but we only had beers there...no food.

Just be aware that there is one restaurant there on the main drag that is solid yellow.... (so it would be hard to miss I guess) .... that has a history of padding their bills. I have read several reports of this from travelers on travel sites like Frommers etc. Seems the draw is an American that promises a lot of free stuff and then disappears when the bill comes.

These same folks have pretended to be "cruisers" on various cruise forums (like this one). I have several forum moderators who have warned us about them and banned them from their sites....as soon as they realized who they were.

Wouldn't you know the only place to be complained about would be hawked by an American. What a shame....

so just be aware.

We have been to Progresso many times and other than their street vendors being a little peskier that I would like....we felt very safe walking around.

• 1 month later...
I can recommend Le Saint Bonnet.

We have also been to Buddy's but we only had beers there...no food.

Just be aware that there is one restaurant there on the main drag that is solid yellow.... (so it would be hard to miss I guess) .... that has a history of padding their bills. I have read several reports of this from travelers on travel sites like Frommers etc. Seems the draw is an American that promises a lot of free stuff and then disappears when the bill comes.

These same folks have pretended to be "cruisers" on various cruise forums (like this one). I have several forum moderators who have warned us about them and banned them from their sites....as soon as they realized who they were.

Wouldn't you know the only place to be complained about would be hawked by an American. What a shame....

so just be aware.

We have been to Progresso many times and other than their street vendors being a little peskier that I would like....we felt very safe walking around.

This is the first time I have heard about this. We are leaving in 2 weeks and planned on going here. Has anyone else heard about this?

• 1 month later...

We have a second home about 6 miles west of Progreso, in the small fishing village of Chelem. When we take guests to Progreso for the day we usually lunch at Flamingos (kind of east on the malecon/boardwalk), then take a stroll around town, then end at Eladio's for fun drinks on the beach (west end of the malecon). Sometimes Eladio's has live music, but that's usually more in the evenings, and the ship would be gone by then.

Archived