Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old January 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default How to pack for a 15 day cruise?

We have many 7 day cruises, but I am unsure of how to pack for 15 days. 15 blouses? 4 dressy clothes & 11 evening clothes? Geesh! We are flying home, so am trying to keep the packing down to a minimum. Ideas, please!?!

Old January 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default No difference in packing

When I've taken longer cruises, I've always taken the same amount of clothes, budgeting for laundry for those items than aren't ameniable to wearing more than once. I've found that a velvet skirt and different dressy tops can suffice for what goes for 'formal' nights these days. And since I always pack too much I seldom have much laundry except underthings and exercise wear (DH is a competitive bicycle racer and trains even during cruises and believe me that stuff needs to we laundered -- icky). With the airline restrictions on weight this might be your best alternative.

Old January 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Did 9 days, looking at 14 this year

I too, have done many 7 day cruise and in 08 did a 9 day.
I am a overpacker too....but with all the airline rules, and I recently underwent back and knee surgery, so I packed very lightly for the 9 day cruise.
I love the travel clothing collection at Land's End and LL Bean and have invested in two different collection which I can mix and match, plus they are all washable. As for shoes, my workout shoes, a pair of Teva sandles, and one pair of dress shoes.
Hope this helps.

I use one large suitcase and one rolling lightweight carryon. Very manageable.
Linda LHC

Caribbean Princess 2013
Prinsendam 2009
Carnival Miracle 2008
Zaandam 2007
Volendam 2006
Volendam 2005

Old January 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

I will be going on a 15-day cruise in November 09 and plan to pack the same as for a 7-day. I'm planning on using the laundry if needed, but taking stuff that can be washed out & dried quick in our cabin. It will be a warm weather cruise, which makes it easier.
03/2013 HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean; 03/2012 HAL Westerdam - Eastern & Southern Caribbean B2B;11/2009 HAL Zaandam - Circle Hawaii, 10/2007 CCL Inspiration - Western Caribbean; 07/2007 HAL Amsterdam - Alaska; 12/2006 HAL Oosterdam - Mexican Rivera; 10/2005 HAL Volendam - Eastern Caribbean; 11/2004 CCL Fascination - Western Caribbean; 05/2002 HAL Amsterdam - Alaska; 05/2000 HAL Ryndam - Alaska

Old January 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Pack for a 7 day cruise in one suit case. For the cost of those 2nd checked bags ($25 each direction x 2 people) you can send out a stuffed bag of laundry every other day and still spend less. On a 14 day cruise, unless you’re doing back to backs you should only have 3 formal nights. Also buy yourselves some new underwear & night clothes to leave at home and pack you old stuff to throw out before you get off the ship to make room for you souvenirs in that one suite case.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81
K&D German Rhine Line ‘84
NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93
RCC - Song of America ‘89
American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98
HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07
Carnival - Spirit ‘05
Celebrity – Summit ‘05
Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06
Princess - Golden Princess ‘07
A & K - East Queen ‘07
Cunard - QM2 ’08

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I really like Travel Smith. Their clothes usually don't wrinkle either.

I buy a core outfit--top and pants, then buy lightweight gauzy jacket-types to cover.

Last year the color was black. I just mixed up the jackets and jewelry for 7 days, then wore the same on the second week.

I saved the luggage space for the formal dresses. We usually buy those photos so I wanted to have a different look.

That takes care of all the dinner clothes, so all I have left is shore or ship day clothes.

Works great.

Pat
RCI Radiance 2x
HAL Zaandam, Statendam 2x, Ryndam 2x

Old January 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC View Post
I love the travel clothing collection at Land's End and LL Bean and have invested in two different collection which I can mix and match, plus they are all washable. As for shoes, my workout shoes, a pair of Teva sandles, and one pair of dress shoes.
Hope this helps.

I use one large suitcase and one rolling lightweight carryon. Very manageable.
Linda LHC
another thought, I am packing the travel knits by Chico's and Citiknits. they are slinky and can be mixed and matched and easily dressed up for dinner in a heart beat with accessories. I am also taking one pair of shoes from Lexees, simple slides that have interchangeable snap on straps to change their colors and looks, 1 pair of shoes with 6 different colors and looks and oh! they are comfortable. Just do a google seach for Lexees shoes. all of this can be zip lock bagged flat and friendly with a label telling me what is in each bag and tucked into the drawers. and no special washing needed! It also leaves alot of room in your suitcase for souveniers. Just a few of my ideas...

Mediterranean 2009~ MS Noordam
Alaska 2010~ HAL Zuiderdam
Caribbean 2011~MS Eurodam
Caribbean 2012~ MS Noordam

Old January 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much to all, for your ideas. I have written myself notes on some of the ideas that could pertain to me. Thanks again.

Old January 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Pack for a 7 day cruise. Do laundry 1/2 way through and wear the same stuff for the next 7 days.

Old January 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've done several 30 day cruises. Most hand washed items will dry in a day or two on a hanger. Also or check if there is a self service laundry on your ship or give your laundry to the room steward. On formal nights, remember your table mates only see you from the waist up so just add a scarf or jewelry. You can ALWAYS buy t-shirts in port. Black goes with everything.
Don't stress the packing - enjoy the cruise.

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Nothing relevant to add, but:

I just wanted to comment to queenofdnile that I love your screen name. Very clever!

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

I too pack as for a 7 day trip and repeat clothes. Sometimes I am lucky and get through dinner with no spots, otherwise I use the laundry, self or ship, depending on the ship or laundry.

Old January 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Okay, I now know what to do. Pack for a 7 day & laundry in between. Thanks for the many ideas. Our ship, the Maasdam, has a laundry room right on our deck, so that will be easy. I will put soap & softener in plastic disposable containers. Now for the decisions to make. (what to take & what not to take. )

Old January 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
10,000+ Club

How many formal nights does a 15 day cruise usually have? On our ten day cruises there have been three.

Old January 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
30,000+ Club

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirljean View Post
I will put soap & softener in plastic disposable containers.
No need to pack soap/detergent. HAL furnishes an eco-friendly soap in the self-serve laundry. Bring dryer sheets, though.

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Old January 18th, 2009, 12:58 AM
10,000+ Club

Here's my packing list for my 10-day cruise on the Noordam, which begins next week:

RevNeal's Noordam 08 Packing List
1 Checked Rolling Upright 28-inch Suiter

Formal (3 formal Nights)
Tuxedo
Black Nehru Dinner Jacket
2 Formal Shirts, 1 clergy shirt
Black Bow Tie, cummerbund, and clerical vest
shirt studs, cufflinks
Dress Shoes

Casual Evening Clothing
1 Black sport jacket (wear on plane)
1 black polo shirt (wear on plane)
1 pair of nicer Dockers (wear on plane)
1 pair of Casual shoes (wear on plane)
3 silk shirts (Black, Blue, Black with Island motif)
1 blue button down shirt
1 Hawaiian shirt
1 pair of nice Dockers
Casual shoes (slip ons)

Daytime Wear (ship and shore)
4 daytime polo shirts (2 green, 1 blue, 1 black)
1 pair day-time slacks (older dockers)
1 pair of shorts
1 swimsuit
Workout wear and walking shoes (2 sets work-out shorts & t-shirts)
white socks
sandles

Other Clothing and Related Items
shorts and undershirts
Hanging Laundry bag
Shaving Kit (all bathroom articles)

Stuff
iPod and iPhone with charger
Laptop
Short, Multi-Plug Extension Cord
Prescriptions
Sun tan lotion
Tums
Sinus/headache/other minor pain medicines
HAL Maglight and Dam Rain Umbrella
Laptop
Digital camera(s) and assorted accessories
A couple of books to read
Travel Documents
Money (travelers checks/credit cards/cash)

In 19-inch rolling carry-on
Laptop and power cable
iPod and iPhone
Camera(S)
Books
Travel Documents
Money
Change of undearwear

Booked Future Cruises:
Volendam - 14-Day China & Japan - April 13, 2015

Old January 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM
20,000+ Club

Hey Rev, don't believe the OP will be wearing a tux, a Nehru dinner jacket, black bow tie, cummerbund, clerical vest, shirt studs, cufflinks, Hawaiian shirt, etc., etc., and most of all, unless my elevator is stuck in between floors again, a shaving kit
Princess Cruise Line: 31
Cunard Line: 15
Carnival Cruise Line: 10

Semper Fi!

Old January 18th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default packing

Here is another packing tip-Rent ahead, from the ship, men's formal shoes. If you are on the ship for a week or a month, I believe its all the same price. Bring several different colored bow ties to wear for fun and for diversity. Bring a black shirt along with your formal white one to wear with your tux. The black shirt can be worn off board as well.

If you are a female, pack a pair of casual jean- style black velvet pants, they can be worn off board as well as on board on those cold evenings. I bring two different colored thin knit shirts to be layered. Wear one color one day on the outside, the next day switch and then wear the other one on the outside. I also wear when the weather calls for it , a polar fleece vest, on top of that. Then a jacket. The vest and jacket of are made of a material that can be rolled up very small into a day pack.

The truth of the matter is..most cruisers are packing lighter and care more about you then your clothes!
Have fun!

Old January 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper10-8 View Post
Hey Rev, don't believe the OP will be wearing a tux, a Nehru dinner jacket, black bow tie, cummerbund, clerical vest, shirt studs, cufflinks, Hawaiian shirt, etc., etc., and most of all, unless my elevator is stuck in between floors again, a shaving kit
Hey Copper, the operative word was: "we" ...

Quote:
We have many 7 day cruises, but I am unsure of how to pack for 15 days. 15 blouses? 4 dressy clothes & 11 evening clothes? Geesh! We are flying home, so am trying to keep the packing down to a minimum.
... according to the original post, the OP isn't going alone. Might not there be a male contained in that "we," hence the possible need for male-type items.
Besides, even if not, it's not as if I were necessarily addressing just the OP and her specific packing concerns. Quite a few people have already done that, and based upon her own latest prior post she had gotten the answer to her question. I was amplifying, for example, with what I pack ... with the side-assumption that it might help her if she had a male traveling companion (contained in the "we").

Oh ... and I'll have the elevator repair men sent to your precinct; the last time I checked many women DO shave ... as in their legs. Besides, I use "shaving kit" as code for all bathroom articles.

Booked Future Cruises:
Volendam - 14-Day China & Japan - April 13, 2015

Old January 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Formal nights Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaschief View Post
How many formal nights does a 15 day cruise usually have? On our ten day cruises there have been three.

Four.
LHC/Linda

PS Rev. you are right sir, we could be a pair but in these days who knows! A good male list is always acceptable. Thanks Good to see you on the board.

Caribbean Princess 2013
Prinsendam 2009
Carnival Miracle 2008
Zaandam 2007
Volendam 2006
Volendam 2005